How Far?

Aldine

I was wondering how far you think people are willing to move out in the northwest. I think it's getting unreasonable now. I live in Aldine near 249 and drove out to the Fairfield outlet mall. That was far as heck, and I know morning traffic on 290 is killer. I don't know if this topic has come up before, but how far out will people move to live in a nice neighborhood and school district? Hockley? Hempstead? Magnolia? I'm not saying living in a good neighborhood is bad or anything (because I used to live in the ghetto by Eisenhower and know a bad neighborhood is horrible), but it's at a point where gas is so expensive, commute times are going to be hours and you will be outside the city with nothing to do.

I was wondering how far you think people are willing to move out in the northwest. I think it's getting unreasonable now. I live in Aldine near 249 and drove out to the Fairfield outlet mall. That was far as heck, and I know morning traffic on 290 is killer. I don't know if this topic has come up before, but how far out will people move to live in a nice neighborhood and school district? Hockley? Hempstead? Magnolia? I'm not saying living in a good neighborhood is bad or anything (because I used to live in the ghetto by Eisenhower and know a bad neighborhood is horrible), but it's at a point where gas is so expensive, commute times are going to be hours and you will be outside the city with nothing to do.

So, take a stand, move back (or closer) into the city, and make your neighborhoods better.

I think people have lost the will to be neighborly.

I live close to work in what used to be the suburbs (1960@Ella area) and I barely know my neighbors. Not because I haven't tried ... but people just drive in and go and don't really socialize much. If something were to happen on my street, I'd probably be the last to know (along with everyone else) because no one knows each other.

These situations for interaction can be an opportunity or a disaster depending on how you look at it. I think bad neighborhoods start inside each one of us that would rather move than stay and fight for our 'peace' of the rock.

My parents live north of Hempstead. They drive 5 days a week into downtown. They leave their house at 4:30am then leave work around 2:30pm. By leaving at those times they avoid the majority of traffic on 290.

I have relatives that live in Brenham and Sealy. Each drive into the West side of town so it's not as far a drive but it's not something you want to do on foot. I have a friend that lives near Monaville and works at the Houston Zoo. And I have business associates that drive 50+ miles each day, each way.

Also, there are people that are buying/building million dollar homes in Waller County and I know of three that drive into the Med Center.

It's funny that you ask this, as we had this discussion over dinner last night.

My uncles live just outside of Flower Mound, a suburb of Dallas. We visited last weekend, and fell in love with their place. They have nearly 10 acres, complete with a barn, small stocked pond, gorgeous pool, beautiful home, and a ton of fantastic oak trees. They both commute into the city for work, yet not all the way downtown. (Think of driving from HP or Tomball to maybe 290 & 610.) He said everyone in the area commutes into town.

We've been thinking of moving for 6 months or so, and plan on doing so in a year or two. So lately, we've been looking to see what's out there. My husband has always wanted a house out in the country, although I like to be in the city. However, seeing their home and how relaxing it is to be there has almost converted me.

So, we've been checking out properties of 3-10 acres, and it looks like it would be at least Tomball to find it... possibly Magnolia. I am concerned this is too far, as his job is at 610 & Post Oak! My job is in Midtown, but I can often work from home as I'm in sales. He says it's worth the drive. I just don't know.

Surprisingly, as much as I don't LOVE our house now, as we bought out of necessity, I really do love my neighbors. I know every single person who lives on my street. All of the kids play together nearly every day, and they do so at any of our homes. I will really miss living on my street when we do move.

I guess as long as people still value a ton of land, privacy, have the gas money and are insane enough to not mind the long commute. People better get their acreage now though, because just like other suburbs, they too were once boonies, yet no longer.

Don't forget: a lot of these people may be retired, or working in the 'burbs - not commuting to the core. Lots of jobs along BW8 now, and then there's HP on 249 and fast-growing BJ Services out in Tomball. People typically buy within a half-hour commute of their job, so if their job moves out to the edge, they can move way out.

Houstongirl: Check out Brazoria county first, near Pearland and 288. I would think you could find what you're looking for with a far, far easier commute to both Midtown and Uptown.

Well, I was just looking online and didn't know that the Grand Parkway (Hwy 99) is supposed to be another belt freeway, that is 170 miles long and goes (as most of you know) by Cinco Ranch on the west side and Baytown on its east side. It only has 2 of its 11 sections built as of now though. The beltway is just 83 miles around. I guess when this is complete this may be the new standard of what is nice.... what's outside the Grand Parkway. A Look at just how big it is and the sections that will be built:

grandparkwayswqm8.jpg

Bridgelands will be the next major western frontier as it'll get close to Hockley....Ranch Country now is the furthest developed frontier but its purpose is unique as it serves as a home to alot of Prairie View A&M employees and workers in the Cy-Fair areas

the East, there's a neighborhood near Anahuac that was built recently and to the North...people are already making Lake Conroe a daily place...Willis is the next area

To the South, Pearland is nothing but a Missouri City East but I think it'll stop at 1462

The the West, Sealy will be as far as they may go...

Archived