Grace Church Houston At 14505 Gulf Fwy.

sheeats

it's symbolism over substance. truly sad use of resources. why couldn't they raise money to build a halfway house or drug treatment facility? too practical and complex. it is far easier to shout "hallelujah" or build something that says "look at how spiritual we are" and pray for change.

sad.

Was it you, bachanon, that deleted my response to westguy? Or a different moderator? The answer to your question was contained therein.

An accountant friend of mine has done some work auditing big churches. And that came as a harsh truth.

Who agreed that a 150 foot cross represents good? :huh:

Or even God. As I understand crucifying people was pretty common back in those days and I don't remember any parables or stories of Jesus wearing a cross for all the thousands of other people that were crucified before him, or God telling people to wear a cross.

That is a TOTALLY man-made phenomenon.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Who agreed that a cross represents good?

Well, when you consider that it symbolisis the sacrafice for all man which gives them the opportunity to be reconciled to their creator and to be with him for eternity in heaven instead of eternity in hell where a person never dies and there is unbearable pain and gnashing of teeth, I'd say it represents good. Even if a person doesn't believe in that, if they understand the context, they should know how Christians view it and understand it represents good.

But you're probably referring to the Crusades and all the other horrible people claiming to be Christians did and do.

Well, when you consider that it symbolisis the sacrafice for all man which gives them the opportunity to be reconciled to their creator and to be with him for eternity in heaven instead of eternity in hell where a person never dies and there is unbearable pain and gnashing of teeth, I'd say it represents good. Even if a person doesn't believe in that, if they understand the context, they should know how Christians view it and understand it represents good.

But you're probably referring to the Crusades and all the other horrible people claiming to be Christians did and do.

That's a new one to me. Back in the day, when I used to go to church, that is not what a cross meant to me and the people around me. But, if it means all that to everyone else, then I say 150 feet isn't nearly big enough. Screw the FAA, make it 500 feet! Then the Martians will be able to find us better.

That's a new one to me. Back in the day, when I used to go to church, that is not what a cross meant to me and the people around me. But, if it means all that to everyone else, then I say 150 feet isn't nearly big enough. Screw the FAA, make it 500 feet! Then the Martians will be able to find us better.

lol.

What did it mean back then?

I don't. I think it represents whatever some Christians want it to represent at the moment, and that's usually not good for me.

As a Christian, I think the money spent on these crosses could be better spent on community outreach programs. Is a giant cross going to feed the homeless, drive the elderly to their doctor's appointments, or host gospel skate night? Yes, there is such as thing gospel skate night in some communities. keeps kids from doing other things. And no, they're not skating off of tunes by the famous Blind Boys of Alabama (that sure would be interesting to see, lol).

I had thought these were just going to be plain ol' crosses, but this is much better than that. For great roadside attractions it really helps to ladle on the kitsch.

Does anybody see a conflict in placing a Christian symbol atop a base that uses extensive Islamic architectural style (pillars, arches, stairs)?

Does anybody see a conflict in placing a Christian symbol atop a base that uses extensive Islamic architectural style (pillars, arches, stairs)?

I noticed that the othe day.

I guess that's so Islam takes over the world, they can just whack down the cross part. ;)

Now you've really done it. They're gonna have to redesign the whole thing now... Or maybe that is what they were going for: Christianity over Islam? ... Hmmm...

Not really, the whole thing doesn't make any sense anyway, so why worry about little things like that?

I had thought these were just going to be plain ol' crosses, but this is much better than that. For great roadside attractions it really helps to ladle on the kitsch.

Gives new meaning to the old phrase "Over the Top". Truly in bad taste, sure thouands will agree. Not here (Haif) as most love to contradict (for attention) of course, but elsewhere. See Chron and news forums comment/replies.

May as well place a giant cherry on top? :D

i have no problem with one nice cross or maybe a statue of Christ like many of the great cities of the world have. My peoblem is that many of the mega churchs have coffee houses and popcorn and theatre seating. As mentioned by an earler post there is a lack of social programs at many of these hugh churchs. Having saqid that I know several people who attend the mega churchs who do good works on theit own. Houston as mo9re help for the homeless, near homless, unemployed and underempoyed then many other cities.. As a Catholic I can point out to Magnificat House, Isiah House, Catholic Charities, Matha's Kitchen, Fishes and Loaves, and several fod banks. The Episcapalians have brakfast at Palmer Memoria, and Lord Of the Streets offer help.

i have no problem with one nice cross or maybe a statue of Christ like many of the great cities of the world have. My peoblem is that many of the mega churchs have coffee houses and popcorn and theatre seating. As mentioned by an earler post there is a lack of social programs at many of these hugh churchs. Having saqid that I know several people who attend the mega churchs who do good works on theit own. Houston as mo9re help for the homeless, near homless, unemployed and underempoyed then many other cities.. As a Catholic I can point out to Magnificat House, Isiah House, Catholic Charities, Matha's Kitchen, Fishes and Loaves, and several fod banks. The Episcapalians have brakfast at Palmer Memoria, and Lord Of the Streets offer help.

I hear ya. I tested the Charismatic Center at Cullen once and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. When the rock band on stage started up, that's when I said "time to get out of here". :wacko: Maybe we should have waited till they started passing the joint around? Do you feel like I do? (Peter Fampton jamming in the background). :lol:

I hear ya. I tested the Charismatic Center at Cullen once and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. When the rock band on stage started up, that's when I said "time to get out of here". :wacko: Maybe we should have waited till they started passing the joint around? Do you feel like I do? (Peter Fampton jamming in the background). :lol:

You're aware that the Charismatics are not regular Catholics, right? They're Catholic pentecostals.

After the band is done, they start speaking in toungues and healing people.

You're aware that the Charismatics are not regular Catholics, right? They're Catholic pentecostals.

After the band is done, they start speaking in toungues and healing people.

Say what you will about them, they really appreciate good timpani. I played timpani at a pentecostal church one time. Early in the set I realized crescendo rolls sent them into ecstatic fits, so I really played those up. I've never felt so appreciated as a timpanist.

Say what you will about them, they really appreciate good timpani. I

Whew! At first I thought you meant timpano, and I was making a mental note to practice my shrieking and go the Charismatic Center this weekend to chow down on some giant, delicious, super-stuffed Italian pie.

Whew! At first I thought you meant timpano, and I was making a mental note to practice my shrieking and go the Charismatic Center this weekend to chow down on some giant, delicious, super-stuffed Italian pie.

Now that reminds me of Primal Therapy! Anyone remember that?

I think it was like screaming as loud as you can in group therapy to release the years of mental anguish/trauma? National Lampoon did a great parody on it once. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primal_therapy

Was it you, bachanon, that deleted my response to westguy? Or a different moderator? The answer to your question was contained therein.

An accountant friend of mine has done some work auditing big churches. And that came as a harsh truth.

nope, not me.

• 4 weeks later...

The other day I mentioned Houston needed a monument to mediocrity, & to my ear to ear smile I got 2 of'm!

:lol:

FWIW this is just as absurd as people saying "the USA is a christian nation", I'm sure the Muslims, Hindu's, & other denominations will get a good laugh as well.

:P

CAN I GET AN AMEN !!!

love it love it

:D