Grace Church Houston At 14505 Gulf Fwy.

sheeats

I can't believe no one's started a thread on this nonsense yet... :lol:

From the original article:

Riggle last week disclosed a plan to erect 150-foot crosses at the south and north entrances to the city. The crosses would be on the Grace South Campus and the North Campus properties.

Riggle doesn't mince words when he says that the country is headed in the wrong direction politically and spiritually. The only way out, he adds, is what he believes the Founding Fathers always intended the United States to be

• Like 1

Thoughts? :rolleyes:

I'd rather have a Jesus statue than some cheap plain jane cross standing up along the freeway.

I could not really care about the religious angle, but at least use the donations to create something with some style and lasting appeal.

Looks like it will serve more as an advertisment for the church rather than as a gift to the community.

I vote no, can we vote, or is this eye sore approved already for construction?

Edited by Pumapayam

Well, on their dime and their property I don't suppose there's anything really wrong with it. I had no idea that cities could be "marked for God" so I would like a little more clarification on what that entails. And lights. If they are going to erect the crosses I want them well lit. If you're going to do it, do it right, that's what I say.

Seriously, has the moron ever friggin' BEEN to Houston? It's hot enough to melt lead and the air smells like a skunk ate five tons of sulfur and let out one enormous fart. Houston is about as close as you can get to hell on earth. -- Abstruse

I laughed out loud reading this :lol: , but stopped and realized he was knocking Houston. :huh:

Bastard. <_<

I think it's worth mentioning -- just for comparison's sake -- that the Sam Houston statue in Huntsville is only 67 feet tall. Think about that. :blink:

The Sam Houston statue is art, and really sleek, and thankfully has a historic angle, rather than a religious one. Too think they wanted the cross to be 200 ft. tall!

I saw the billboard for the south campus.

But two of them, god help us. . . :rolleyes:

What's next, a 150 ft. menorah in front of the JCC? :rolleyes:

If we weren't known for religious nuts/powermongers now, we most definitely will be...

On the positive side, both of these will be on the opposite end of IAH and Hobby traffic. Last thing we need is for visitors to see these while driving in town.

So much for the Woodlands and Galveston though.

I always thought the "His Soils" place was a landmark for the religious coming up 45 in to town - the storage tower stills has remnants of "Is Jesus Your Lord and Savior" painted on it.

All this time, though, I thought it was "Jesus Soils," not "His Soils."

"Jesus Soils Houston" has a much better ring to it, imo :rolleyes:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe...119489842048576

http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuODgzMytHdWxm...jgxMTQ0ODIzMzM5

Riggle is starting with plans for crosses at Grace's south and north campuses, and he plans eventually to "surround the city."

OMFG!?!?

This guy is looney.

Surrounding the entire city with crosses??? You are not just asking for us to be marked by god, but as a target. In the current state of the world with radicals and terrorists, this will for sure get associated with any group with anti-western attitudes. Our city does not need that extra attention from this act of self promotion.

Perhaps we should start with erecting 150-foot Buddhas, Stars of David, Ganeshas, Stars and Cresents, Flaming Chalices, Pentacles and so on, so that we can also "mark" the city for Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Unitarian Universalism, and Paganism...I could think of many others. We are all here in Houston, one of the most diverse cities in the nation, religiously and otherwise. Shouldn't we equally honor all of our most sacred traditions? Of course, this is a ridiculous idea, but I find erecting crosses to the exclusion of other faiths to be even more ridiculous.

We are not an exclusively Christian city or nation. Sorry, Pastor Riggle, "marking our city" with crosses or any other giant icon is not going to solve any of this city's, nation's, or world's social ills. I also doubt it will put us in God's favor...As Amos preached God's words:

I hope this gets stopped, at least beyond the 2 planned, and hope they don't replicate around the city like gremlins.

Edited by Pumapayam

If it's on their property, paid with (lots of) their dimes, and it doesn't violate any ordinances, what's the BFD?

I could think of lots of other things that they could spend the money on that would better advance Christian ideals, though.

Private property, do what you want... but tragic, and tasteless.

Has anyone actually been to these "mega church" services? Ever watch Joel O. on TV - and not want to vomit? The Summit could have been put to better use...

Well, on their dime and their property I don't suppose there's anything really wrong with it. I had no idea that cities could be "marked for God" so I would like a little more clarification on what that entails. And lights. If they are going to erect the crosses I want them well lit. If you're going to do it, do it right, that's what I say.

Whaaa...?

Marking our city for dog? You mean, like...

pdl-moving.jpg

OOOOOOOHHH! For God. OK, that I get.

If they are going to build these things you would think there would at least be observation decks at the top.

The jumbo American flag underneath is a nice touch.

Maybe not observation decks, but they'll have an "elevated prayer center" - whatever that means.

And yes - God bless America!

I mean, if he's on our money too, why not?!

I always thought the "His Soils" place was a landmark for the religious coming up 45 in to town - the storage tower stills has remnants of "Is Jesus Your Lord and Savior" painted on it.

All this time, though, I thought it was "Jesus Soils," not "His Soils."

"Jesus Soils Houston" has a much better ring to it, imo :rolleyes:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe...119489842048576

http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuODgzMytHdWxm...jgxMTQ0ODIzMzM5

Every time I drive by that place, I look up, and ask myself: "Are the words gone yet? ... No... just barely there... well, maybe in the next few years..."

Private property, do what you want... but tragic, and tasteless.

Has anyone actually been to these "mega church" services? Ever watch Joel O. on TV - and not want to vomit? The Summit could have been put to better use...

Joel's about the only one that makes me NOT want to vomit. The services are always pretty fun (kinda like a rock concert).

Anyhow, I am certainly not a big churchgoer, and actually like the fact that I haven't seen one cross at Lakewood.

Crosses are a bit creepy.

Joel's about the only one that makes me NOT want to vomit. The services are always pretty fun (kinda like a rock concert).

Anyhow, I am certainly not a big churchgoer, and actually like the fact that I haven't seen one cross at Lakewood.

Christianity without crosses. Neat concept. :huh:

I wonder if David Addickes is the inspiration for these monstrosities?

Yep. "Cotton Candy Christianity" as they call it. "Everyone is welcome..." Uh huh. Everyone is welcome to donate to the "church"... He's not exactly living a modest lifestyle... like other pastors I've known. I thought loving the Lord was not about material possessions? Or getting into cat fights with flight attendants. Oh well...

EDIT: But back on topic... I say, go all out, and put the body on the cross too. And get the lighting right, for night time viewing.

Edited by BryanS

Yep. "Cotton Candy Christianity" as they call it. "Everyone is welcome..." Uh huh. Everyone is welcome to donate to the "church"... He's not exactly living a modest lifestyle... like other pastors I've known. I thought loving the Lord was not about material possessions? Or getting into cat fights with flight attendants. Oh well...

EDIT: But back on topic... I say, go all out, and put the body on the cross too. And get the lighting right, for night time viewing.

Crucifixes are even creepier.

But hey, I agree with an earlier statement ... it's their land and they're not breaking the law so go for it. I don't drive out that way often and don't have to look at it. Who knows, it might even get into the GBoWR and become an attraction.

Whaaa...?

Marking our city for dog? You mean, like...

OOOOOOOHHH! For God. OK, that I get.

Reminds me of the joke about the dyslexic agnostic ansomniac. He stayed awake at night wondering whether or not there was a dog.

Not to offend, but aren't crosses considered idols. Look at these common definitions:

# a material effigy that is worshipped; "thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"; "money was his god"

# someone who is adored blindly and excessively

# paragon: an ideal instance; a perfect embodiment of a concept

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# Several philosophers have developed concepts that they have called idols, including: * Aristotle the idols in the water, reflections or shadows. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idol (philosophy)

# A graven image or representation of anything that is revered, or believed to convey spiritual power; A cultural icon, or especially popular person

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/idol

# An idol is a representation of something in the heavens or on the earth. It is used in worship and is often worshiped. ...

www.godweb.org/dictionary/dic_i-k.htm

# object that people worship, as in: He donated the golden idol he found to the museum.

www.business-words.com/dictionary/I.html

# An image of a deity used as a focus for worship, usually used for non Christian images.

www.mda.org.uk/archobj/archobji.htm

# An image of a god that is the object of worship rather than God himself.

www.godonthe.net/dictionary/i.html

# image used as object of worship; often God carved in stone or wood

www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/squizzes/history/hist2.html

Every time I drive by that place, I look up, and ask myself: "Are the words gone yet? ... No... just barely there... well, maybe in the next few years..."

Same here, I just get the urge to pull over, get out and push really hard until that ugly tower flops over. Maybe next storm? :D

This reminds me of a certain Thrill Kill Cult or Front 242 song they always played at #'s. Hallelujah!

This may be one of them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmj2K8QsGs

Edited by Vertigo58

Their purpose is to put people to death in one of the most horrible ways possible, so I can understand that.

He's not, that's part of the reason I would not reccommend him.