Beggs St. Area

BillyG

I found a home recently online that I am really in love with, at least on first appearance. It's a beautiful house from the 30's that looks to be in very good condition, and has a ton of personality. One of the major things for me in buying my first home is it not be a typical cookie cutter track house, which this one is not.

But my question is, what about the area it is in? I am not really familiar with the area, which is Beggs St. north of downtown. Google Maps link -

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=beggs+road+h...=1&ct=title

One of the selling points is a block from Moody Park, but I have no idea if that's a good or bad thing. I plan on going to check out the area this weekend, but before I do, I'd like some more opinions. Like I said, this will be my first home, and I'll end up raising a family there, so I have to figure I'll have at least one kid running around, so I have to take that into account. So, I appreciate any opinions offered!

I found a home recently online that I am really in love with, at least on first appearance. It's a beautiful house from the 30's that looks to be in very good condition, and has a ton of personality. One of the major things for me in buying my first home is it not be a typical cookie cutter track house, which this one is not.

But my question is, what about the area it is in? I am not really familiar with the area, which is Beggs St. north of downtown. Google Maps link -

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=beggs+road+h...=1&ct=title

One of the selling points is a block from Moody Park, but I have no idea if that's a good or bad thing. I plan on going to check out the area this weekend, but before I do, I'd like some more opinions. Like I said, this will be my first home, and I'll end up raising a family there, so I have to figure I'll have at least one kid running around, so I have to take that into account. So, I appreciate any opinions offered!

You talking about the house on Beggs with the "second story"? If so, I would steer clear. I looked at that house when it was for sale many moons (~4 years) ago, and most of the floor of the "second story" was wet, there was a musty smell up there, and the floors weren't solid. Who knows how long it had been that way, and what damage it caused to the framing. Besides, that "staircase" is worthless to try to get furniture up and down.

You talking about the house on Beggs with the "second story"? If so, I would steer clear. I looked at that house when it was for sale many moons (~4 years) ago, and most of the floor of the "second story" was wet, there was a musty smell up there, and the floors weren't solid. Who knows how long it had been that way, and what damage it caused to the framing. Besides, that "staircase" is worthless to try to get furniture up and down.

I don't have the address, but sounds like the same house. There were zero pix of the 2nd story, which did worry me, but the first floor looked really appealing to me. And yeah, the spiral stair case? I thought the same thing, "How do I get anything up there?"

Well, glad to hear your opinion. Worries me that it's been up for sale that long as well. Guess that makes my decision for me.

Despite the agent's comment about it being "in Lindale Park." It isn't. Lindale Park is north of Cavalcade.

I don't know how much the rail system going through there will impact things. There is some new construction that has moved that direction. Whether that is good or bad depends on your point of view. Combined with the arrival of light rail it will probably bolster land values, however, combined with the lack of restrictions gentrification will probably come in the form of tear downs and 3 story town homes all around you, not renovations.

There definitely isn't a lot of architecturally interesting things out there for that price point inside the loop, as I am sure you have already found out. You might try looking north in Lindale Park, across the freeway in Brookesmith. I would also check 77023 for options. At that price point you might also scan 77061, Garden Villas, Glenbrook, etc. Possibly 77017 too.

• 4 months later...

Poor, Deluded Billy G. Some Realtor told you that was Lindale Park ! NOT !

I am a native Houstonian born and raised in The Heights. My first garage apartment

was on Beggs in 1967. Bad area then, worse now. Stay away and don't invest any

money there. Go North a bit to Lindale, but even that's iffy street by street.

Be careful of " The North Side ". It can be scary !

Archived