Expo 2020 Houston?

I was completely unaware that Houston was planning a proposal for the 2020 Expo. The website attached says that the bids will be placed in 2011 and that New York, San Francisco and Manilla (Philippines) are putting bids together as well. The event lasts 3 months and usually attracts millions of visitors. Unfortunetly, the United States has not hosted one in many years. Montreal, Lisbon, Vancouver, Seattle and Seville are just a few of the past host cities. Expo 2008 is currently being held in Zaragoza, Spain where 6 million visitors are projected.

http://expomuseum.com/2020/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be awesome.

With the selection of cities to host Expo 2012 and Expo 2015, no North American city will be able to attempt a bid for an exposition until 2017 at the soonest. 2017 will mark 31 years since North America hosted its last exposition, Expo 86 in Vancouver, Canada. 2017 also will mark 33 years since the United States' last world's fair in 1984.

ffffff.gifPopular opinion in North America holds that international expositions are simply no longer held. With an entire generation having grown up now having never known a world's fair, this is unsurprising. The chart below illustrates the frequency of international expositions among the continents.

frequencygraph.gif

ffffff.gifEurope, home of the first international exposition of 1851, suffered a similar 34-year gap between 1958 to 1992. This was followed by the four expos held since then and two planned to be held between now and 2015.

ffffff.gifEven World War II resulted in a worldwide gap of only 18 years between 1940 to 1958.

ffffff.gifToronto, Ontario attempted to secure provincial and federal funds in order to place a bid for 2015, but was unable to meet the November bidding deadline. It is unclear right now when a North American city might attempt a bid again, but there are hopes of bids by a Canadian city for 2017 and/or a U.S.A. city for 2020.

ffffff.gifThe United States has an additional hurdle if it is to ever hold another world's fair. The U.S. Congress pulled out of the Bureau International des Expositions by withdrawing funds for membership in recent years and would need to re-join to bid.

Count me in the group that didn't even know a world fair existed.

This could also bring Houston an Icon (if you don't think we have one already). That was discussed in a Houston Strategies blog in 2005. Redscare was a part of that one. Maybe we could start throwing ideas around again.

http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.com/2005...or-houston.html

I would think our biggest concern would hotel rooms. Sure we're adding more, but still. To have a six month event. That's just, wow. That's a lot of rooms. I'd be affraid we over saturate and hundreds or thousands of hotels would be left empty when the exposition left town.

Also, I'm assuming that all our convention space would be scheduled solely for this event.

Phase II of Metro Solutions should be up and running by then and possibly Phase III?

I guess it's possible that we might know the winner for 2020 in 2013? It's 2008 right now and we already know the location for 2015, seven years, although I don't know how long that has been known. (the website says bids should be placed by 2011)

How come there is no pattern for the frequency of when one is held. It's not ever two or five years, but just whenever it seems.

Also, from wikipedia: Today, world expositions are the third largest event in the world in terms of economic and cultural impact, after the FIFA World Cup and the Olympic Games.

Houston likes to place bids for big events and I'm glad this is no different.

Whoop! Whoop!

METRO Phase II will definitely be complete, but that won't be enough. We need a line to IAH and Hobby to fully support this thing. I'm sure our commuter rail lines (Galveston, 290, Fort Bend, and maybe Tomball), will be up and running by then. our Signature Bus lines (Westheimer, Gessner), should be, too. I think transit should be covered. Hopefully hotels come online. I'm sure the rumored W and Ritz will be done. Maybe the new 1,000+ room Downtown Convention Center hotel.

Basically, 2020 would almost be perfect for Houston. I hope we get it.

Not commuter rail, but light rail. Commuter rail to IAH won't work.

Oh, ok. My opinion doesn't change though. Although if they did have any kind of line going out there, it'll help that the north line will already be in place and all they'll have to do is extend it. But that's still a long ways from Northline Mall...16 miles

This would be SWEET! I was in Vancouver for Expo 86 and can't even explain how much fun that was. Oddly enough, I was just talking with friends over the weekend and we were both wondering if the World Expositions still went on since nothing has shown up in NorthAm in over 20 years. Glad to know they're still going on, and shame on the US and Canada for not working harder to bring one here earlier.

since nothing has shown up in NorthAm in over 20 years. Glad to know they're still going on, and shame on the US and Canada for not working harder to bring one here earlier.

And it will be 31 years IF North America gets it in 2017. Europe went through the same drought one time. Also, the US left the agency that puts it on. I guess they didn't want to pay the dues anymore. But they'd have to rejoin if it's gonna happen.

edit: found the answer to my question as to the frequency of the events: every five years for the big one(6 months long) and in between for the small one (3 months long).

Also...

"How does the BIE choose an application/a city/a country over another?After having deposited their official request at the BIE by the intermediary of their governments, the candidates for organising an Exhibition are subject to an enquiry mission. The report of the enquiry mission is presented at the General Assembly, who, by a secret vote (each member-state has one vote) decides which country to grant a date of organising an Expo.

The member-states reunited in the General Assembly freely decide to accord or not accord the organisation of an Expo to a country, based on the feasibility of the project as assessed in the report of the enquiry mission."

What exactly is a World Expo? Is it like a big fair or something?

Yeah, it's a world fair and lasts for six months. Check out this quote from wikipedia...

"Today, world expositions are the third largest event in the world in terms of economic and cultural impact, after the FIFA World Cup and the Olympic Games." link

It's a big deal. It's just that one hasn't been in the US for so long that a generation of us grew up not knowing what one is or that it even existed.

By 2025. Who says it can't happen in 2020 :D. The Expo is a six month long event, so it doesn't really have to be complete before the whole thing starts, but it would help.

This is all if we get the Expo though, which we can. I mean San Antonio has gotten it before...

Houston likes to place bids for big events and I'm glad this is no different.

Now if we could only win the bids. :rolleyes:

Is the World fair and Expo the same thing?

Only thing we didn't win was the Olympics.

I went to the Expo in New Orleans and it was awesome!

If we get this expo, it would definitely jumpstart a number of infrastructure improvements (read: Rail, roads, hotels) that can benefit the city longterm.

• 1 month later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_expo

Yes i know its WAY WAY TOO early to think much of this,

but i think it would be nice if we got to host the expo

From Wikipedia:

"2017 or 2018 will see a recognized exposition. Bidding may begin as early as 2012 for this smaller sized exposition.

2020 will see a sanctioned registered or 'Universal' category exposition. Bidding may begin as early as 2011 for this larger sized exposition.

There are citizen efforts in American cities with the intention of bringing a World's Fair back to the United States:

• Houston - "Energy and Exploration: A Vision for the Future"
  • New York - "Showcasing the World"
  • San Francisco - "Interculture: Celebrating the World's Cultures while Creating New Ones through Interaction and Exchange."

The Philippines is also possibly bidding for the Expo 2020.

• Manila - "Manila, Celebrating Light and Life"

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia also proposes to host an Exposition in 2020

Media reports also suggest that Sydney, New South Wales, Australia may bid for the Australian 2020 time slot.

Copenhagen, Denmark, is also considering whether to bid for the Expo 2020"

link:

http://www.onerealworld.com/2020/

background.jpg

i think this belongs in other houston, not community announcements...so sorry mods, maybe yall can merge?

Part 2 of my post

http://www.onerealworld.com/2020/site.html

The Expo site

Located at the edge of downtown Houston, the Expo will revitalize the city and bring energy back to one of the oldest neighborhoods in the Houston area.

The site runs along Buffalo Bayou, Houston's main waterway, and will offer tremendous opportunities for architectural creativity. The site is about 380 acres (1,500 km2) and it's mostly a collection of empty lots, deteriorated low income housing and older industrial facilities.

The Expo site:
|
|
|

ACCESIBILITY

• At the intersection of three mayor highways: highway 59 (currently in the process of being transformed into I-69), I-10 and one mile away from I-45. There are rail lines to the east and the west of the site. These lines can be easily integrated with a potential high speed rail that would take passengers from Houston Intercontinental Airport to the expo site.

• The site is less than one mile away from the end of Houston's light rail main line. This would allow visitors of the Expo to easily access Houston's theater district (2 miles away), Houston's museum district (about 4 miles away) and the Reliant Arena / Astrodome complex (about 7 miles)

SITE PLAN

The Expo would be comprised of several areas:

• The US section
    - which will include the United States pavilion, the Texas pavilion and pavilions for the other 49 states.

International areas
    : This areas will house the individual country pavilions as well as the group pavilions (Africa, Americas, Asia / Oceania, and Europe) designed for countries that may choose not to participate with an independent structure.

Corporate
    creativity areas
    - This section will group all of the company pavilions. Exhibitors will include energy companies (ExxonMobil, Shell, ConocoPhillips...), automakers, technology providers (Hewlett-Packard, GE, Boeing...), and others.

Non-profit organization areas
    : Hosting pavilions from US and international non-profits like the Red Cross, The Boy Scouts, Doctors Without Borders, Amnesty International and others.

Thematic pavilions:
    • The Future of Energy
      - This pavilion will showcase new and alternative sources of energy, with the overarching theme that by changing the way we produce energy, we will change (and save!) the world.
      Human Energy
      - Showcasing technological advances in human sciences and biotechnology - this pavilion will tap into the expertise of Houston's Medical Center, the largest concentration of medical and research facilities in the world.
      The NASA Pavilion: Energy and Exploration
      - NASA will be celebrating the half century anniversary of the moon landing. The pavilion will celebrate that important first step and show how Humans continue to explore beyond our planet.

• Energy and Transformation
      - will showcase how recycling technologies can help our planet heal.

Performance venues
- These facilities will showcase the best the world has to offer in music, dance, theater and all other performance arts. The expo cultural program will also take advantage of the proximity to Houston's theater district, less than a mile away.

Plazas and boulevards
- Will allow easy access to all areas of the site, as well as host roaming shows and parades during the duration of the Exhibition.

The Houston Riverwalk
- Many restaurants, bars, cafes and clubs will line Buffalo Bayou. From 5-star eateries by world-renowed chefs to local favorites, the Riverwalk will be one of the must-visit spots of the site.

The Energy Gardens
- This lush park will be at the place currently occupied by North York Park. The gardens, designed for relaxation, will showcase local flora while using environmentally friendly cultivation techniques.

[*]
Additional Facilities
:
  • Expo Hotel:
    An exceptional 5-star hotel will be located on the grounds of the World Fair, to house visitors, dignitaries, VIPs and other high profile attendees. The hotel, an architectural jewel, will enjoy views of downtown Houston and be linked by pedestrian access to the George R. Brown convention center.

• Press Center:
    A state-of-the art TV and radio broadcasting facility will allow live transmission of events and facilitate press coverage throughout the Expo. Some TV studios will have windows, offering live views of the site for the cameras. This facility will also offer support services to the press.

• Transportation Center:
    A hub of rail lines and buses, will streamline access to the Expo site.

Transportation inside the Expo site:

• Aerotrams: An aerial cable car will transport visitors from one end of the Expo site to the other, offering speed and convenience while allowing visitors to enjoy breathtaking views of the Expo site and the downtown Houston skyline, less than a mile away. Water Taxis: Running along the Bayou, with several stops along the Riverwalk. Water Taxis will also allow visitors to reach the Theater district in downtown Houston.
    • Eco-buses: Environmentally friendly buses will run along the perimeter of the Expo.

expo_site1.jpg

expo_site2.jpg

expo_site3.jpg

Arial View of current location:

expo_site4.jpg

logo2.gif

It's about time another Expo was held in the US, or at least in North America. I went to Expo '86 in Vancouver when I was junior high and thought it was incredible. I'd love to make another one now as an adult, and while I'd be thrilled to go to one on another continent, having one in the US would be ideal. And Houston would be a great city for it.

• 8 months later...

expo2020 has update their site

http://expo2020.us/

One interesting thing I saw:

Expos attract significantly larger number of visitors than the Olympic games. While the '96 Olympic games in Atlanta attractted 2 million visitors, the 2010 Shanghai fair is estimated to receive 70 million.

Below the number of visitors atttracted by the most recent American Fairs:

Visitors

(millions)

1962 Seattle

1964-65 New York

1974 Spokane

1982 Knoxville

1984 New Orleans

I guess a big difference why is the length of the event. Wow

expo2020 has update their site

http://expo2020.us/

One interesting thing I saw:

Expos attract significantly larger number of visitors than the Olympic games. While the '96 Olympic games in Atlanta attractted 2 million visitors, the 2010 Shanghai fair is estimated to receive 70 million.

Below the number of visitors atttracted by the most recent American Fairs:

Visitors

(millions)

1962 Seattle

1964-65 New York

1974 Spokane

1982 Knoxville

1984 New Orleans

I guess a big difference why is the length of the event. Wow

I think length of the event plays a part, but when and where also plays a part. I feel like these things used to be a much bigger deal. I remember going to the one in New Orleans in 84 twice, but I haven't heard jack about a world's fair since aside from Montreal Expos trivial questions. Also, bringing 70 million to the Shanghai one doesn't sound impressive when there are so many Chinese people to start with. But hey, bring it on as long as it helps Houston and doesn't just crowd my streets up too much.

I think length of the event plays a part, but when and where also plays a part. I feel like these things used to be a much bigger deal. I remember going to the one in New Orleans in 84 twice, but I haven't heard jack about a world's fair since aside from Montreal Expos trivial questions. Also, bringing 70 million to the Shanghai one doesn't sound impressive when there are so many Chinese people to start with. But hey, bring it on as long as it helps Houston and doesn't just crowd my streets up too much.

I wonder if part of the reason we haven't heard much of it is because people from the USA are so detached from the rest of the world and it's events and happenings.

From a wall streen journal article:

Another obstacle that expo boosters face in the U.S. is apathy. Las Vegas organizer Mark Fries says the universal reaction to suggestion of a new expo is: "Wow, do they still have those?"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123499805562316993.html

I'm sure a look at attendance numbers would scream, "yes!"

I wonder if part of the reason we haven't heard much of it is because people from the USA are so detached from the rest of the world and it's events and happenings.

Yes, either it's not on TV or I missed that travel channel show about it. Blame the fair marketing people maybe, I read news and can't recall a piece about the world's fair between 1984 and when it came up on HAIF. So that either means they haven't been trying to draw visitors from the US to wherever the fair has been, the fair isn't worth traveling to another country for, or alcohol has killed the brain cells that stored my world's fair memories between 1984 and 2009.

If it comes here I hope it's really cool, I'll have a 12 year old by then and will be looking for fun family activities.

As I recall, London got that huge ferris wheel as a result of a World's Fair. Didn't San Antonio get the Hemisphere Tower from the HemisFare? Was this a World's Fair?

I wonder what we could net.

Archived