Cruising Westheimer Rd.

jetbeetle

You could buy Ecstasy at Mary's in the back. Purely anecdotal knowledge....... :mellow:

What year was that ?

Ok,.....Im new here, I just joined about an hour ago. Um....my memories of cruising westheimer is that each highschool had a different parking lot. I went to Dulles High, so we had The Sigmore Station. That is where we would base ourselves the cruise the strip from there. Another school had the babies r us parking lot.....ITHINK it was clements or blue ridge.....dont remember. Anyhoo....most parking lots along westheimer were bases for a school or area.

Coug

That's Uptown Westheimer, not lower. We are talking Montrose area my friend.

Ok, I found this. This building is still there @ Dallas. Started off life as a U-Tote-M. I forgot what's in it now though.

HoustonTX036.jpg

I'm pretty sure this photo is Fairview and Taft.

OMG - I just ran through this entire thread. Memories! I lived in the hood at the time and found the traffic annoying. Once, I was turning left (south to Montrose). The fool in front of me wouldn't go so I bumped them. I pulled into the Jack ITB drive-thru. After a few minutes a cop walks up and asks if I bumped a car on Westheimer. I said Nope and he went on his way.

What I remember most is that the pre-AIDS bar scene was insane!

Fairview and Taft would be the Hyde Park Supermarket, has been since at least the early to mid 70's.

I can't place the store though...remember going in it, just can't remember where it was.

Looks more like Sunny's Food Store at Tuam and Baldwin St

Yep, that's it!

OMG - I just ran through this entire thread. Memories! I lived in the hood at the time and found the traffic annoying. Once, I was turning left (south to Montrose). The fool in front of me wouldn't go so I bumped them. I pulled into the Jack ITB drive-thru. After a few minutes a cop walks up and asks if I bumped a car on Westheimer. I said Nope and he went on his way.

What I remember most is that the pre-AIDS bar scene was insane!

Sorry guys/gals, I gave the wrong address. This is the corner of Mason St. And Westheimer Rd. 300 Westheimer to be exact. It's now the adult video store. Take another look.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...156805367987442

Sorry guys/gals, I gave the wrong address. This is the corner of Mason St. And Westheimer Rd. 300 Westheimer to be exact. It's now the adult video store. Take another look.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...156805367987442

300 Westheimer is Numbers.

Perhaps you're thinking of the building at 240 Westheimer which later became Diner's News, an adult bookstore. It closed a few months ago; noticed activity there today (dumpster in parking lot.)

I'm still pretty sure that the pic is of Tuam and Baldwin. I don't recall the Westheimer store ever having any gas pumps and it's much closer to the street than the one in the pic. I'll drive by again today and look for distinguishing marks. The green tile has been covered over.

Hyde Park Grocery has been cleaned out. There was a sign about a bakery and deli or something. Great location for something like that.

I'm still pretty sure that the pic is of Tuam and Baldwin. I don't recall the Westheimer store ever having any gas pumps and it's much closer to the street than the one in the pic. I'll drive by again today and look for distinguishing marks. The green tile has been covered over.

Hyde Park Grocery has been cleaned out. There was a sign about a bakery and deli or something. Great location for something like that.

Slow down rsb, no need to drive by anywhere. We have already agreed that it is Tuam and Baldwin. Hence the googlemaps link.

• 4 months later...
What year was that ?

That's Uptown Westheimer, not lower. We are talking Montrose area my friend.

Um, the thread title is "Cruisin' Westheimer" ... and I've seen quite a few comments about Westheimer west past 610. Don't be so hard on the guy. Lower Westheimer and the Montrose area is nothing but skid row now anyway ... one of the dullest, most sterile places I've ever seen compared to what it was back in the early to mid 80's.

Um, the thread title is "Cruisin' Westheimer" ... and I've seen quite a few comments about Westheimer west past 610. Don't be so hard on the guy. Lower Westheimer and the Montrose area is nothing but skid row now anyway ... one of the dullest, most sterile places I've ever seen compared to what it was back in the early to mid 80's.

I'd hardly call Montrose "Skid Row" by any means.

While its a bit more tame than back in the day, at least you don't have "Modeling" studios from Montrose to Bagby lining Westheimer.

I miss the overall "weirdness" that Montrose was, though. The Yuppies kinda' killed that part, its a great place to live and even raise a family. If you wish for the seedier side, feel free to hit the leather bars. You can still get your fine leather goods at "Leather Forever" and such.

"Skid row"? And how does that equate to dull and sterile, anyway? If the current Lower Westheimer fits these defintions, then I'd hate to see your opinion of other parts of town

• 4 years later...

I just found this amazing thread and I apologize if posting to old threads is frowned on.  Cruising lower Westheimer brings back so many memories.  My fondest one is when my older brother got into a wreck in the stop and go traffic and had to call dad at 12:30 a.m. when his curfew was midnight.  He smashed up the front end of his 83 Trans Am because he was drinking and staring at the girls on the sidewalk.  Right before it died the prostitute population was taken over by drag queens and sometimes you would look and wave to them and didn't notice till they started walking toward you.

"Skid row"? And how does that equate to dull and sterile, anyway? If the current Lower Westheimer fits these defintions, then I'd hate to see your opinion of other parts of town

Skid row look at me now.  Montrose is still weird and has the most character of any neighborhood in the city. I moved to Montrose from Sugar Land as soon as I graduated and just moved back this year.

I grew up in Houston in the late 60s & early 70s. My neck of the woods was S.Main & Broadmead. We didn't do much crusing back then. We would get some beer & some pot and head over to the 610 & US59 mixmaster, park under 610 & Westpark then run around raise hell up under the mixmaster. We also would drag race up and down Chimney Rock, Stellalink, & Buffalo Speedway. Sometimes we'd drive down S. Main to Franklin St. and hang out at Love Steet Light Circus Feel Good Machine then rome threw the combs (not to be confused with the club Catacolmbs) across the street from Love Street. The combs was a vacont building that was a big hippy crash pad. Mostly there for people on bad trips to come down, there were old matresses all over the floors to crash on. I didn't do to much hell raising or crusing because I was working a 7-11 after school most nights till after 1am. I needed to work to pay for my 56 Chevy, gas & my speeding tickets. I remember once going to the teen court that was down town in the old police station or somewhere close to it. There was one kid that after his trial was finished the judge asked him if he had learned his lesson and would not speed anymore & the kid said, "hell I'll probably speed on the way home".

Ok,.....Im new here, I just joined about an hour ago. Um....my memories of cruising westheimer is that each highschool had a different parking lot. I went to Dulles High, so we had The Sigmore Station. That is where we would base ourselves the cruise the strip from there. Another school had the babies r us parking lot.....ITHINK it was clements or blue ridge.....dont remember. Anyhoo....most parking lots along westheimer were bases for a school or area.

Coug

I thought the D-Word had the bank parking lot... that's where all my D-Word buds and I hung out. (Westheimer and Montrose, SW corner of the intersection)

I guess we were so cool we took over half the damned strip.... LOL

• The title was changed to Cruising Westheimer Rd.

Archived