What Did Your Neighborhood Look Like

Trophy Property

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When was that building torn down.  I do not remember it at all.

no it's still there. they just did a total remodel in the last 4-5 yrs...the top sign and beacon have been gone for years. as you head north on travis. i believe you get to it two blocks before you hit foley's. There are alot of other buildings now so the view isn't as obvious.

subdude said it was called the Travis Tower Building.

I remember Kaphan's too, and I always wondered about two things: People said it like "cap-pans" not with the "ph" sounding like an "f", and the fact that all the waiters I ever saw anyway, but I didn't frequent the place, were all old Black men. I, of course, could be remembering this incorrectly because the last time I went there was probably in 1980, so feel free to jump on me about that.

no it's still there.  they just did a total remodel in the last 4-5 yrs...the top sign and beacon have been gone for years.  as you head north on travis. i believe you get to it two blocks before you hit foley's.  There are alot of other buildings now so the view isn't as obvious.

subdude said it was called the Travis Tower Building.

Also it used to really stand out with its olive green coloring but now it has been painted a rather dull silvery gray color.

Thanks for the great pic; I didn't know about the weather globe thing on top. That was pretty cool.

Kaphan's on South Main at Kirby (where the CVS is now) was a big favorite of my family's. We had so many major celebrations of family events there, and my grandparents ate there almost every Sunday after church for decades. Not only was the food very good, but the service and staff were oustanding -- there were a number of waiters that had been there close to 50 years when the place finally closed down around 1993-1994. There was one waiter in particular that had been serving my grandparents, mother, and rest of the family for several decades, and he knew us all by name. I remember my last meal there in December 1992, when I was home for Christmas after my first semester of college. Mom and I had driven down to Houston on a Sunday morning to meet my grandparents for church and to celebrate my grandmother's birthday and deliver their Christmas presents. We had that particular waiter that day, and when he saw me he said "Master Steven! How was the first semester at Austin College?" I hadn't seen this guy in several months but he knew all about what I was up to from my grandparents. There was also a guy who worked there who wore a white suit (sort of a Marvin Zindler style) who always brought around a skillet of these hot crab ball appetizers. Those things were always so good. To this day many of my cousins talk about all those Sunday dinners we ate at Kaphan's and how the staff there always treated our family like royalty because my grandparents had eaten there so often for so many years. I still miss that place whenever I drive by the pharmacy that's there now. You just don't find restaurants with that kind of personal service much anymore.

Those damn CVS and Walgreens. I will admit to shopping at both, but I wish they were not so prevalant. One of my jobs in High School was as a delivery driver for Kay Lewis Pharmacy in the shopping center at Seagler and Westheimer. I loved working there. They gave me a company truck to deliver the drugs in, the tips were pretty good and Mr. Lewis was a cool old man. I used to hate working there when Kay Lewis was there because she used to make me sweep up and do other lame jobs that I hated. Of course they are gone now (it has been a gold store for at least 10 years now). They were struggling for years and it was sad to see these people who had built such a nice neighborhood business get pushed out by the CVS and Walgreens of this world. Having your drugs delivered seems to be a benefit of the past. I can tell a few stories of weirdo's who I delivered too.

In the mid-to-late seventies, I used to live near Jones Rd & 1960. We would drive all the way down to 1960 to Games People Play for entertainment. A large number of teenagers would also cruise the parking lot of Northoaks mall for entertainment. Hey, the multiplex was there! Before that, we just had the two theatres at Champions. When we first arrived in Houston, for shopping,we would drive to Northline Mall, Northwest Mall or Memorial City. For grocery shopping, we drove down to the Gerlands at Champions. At the intersection of 1960 & 249, where Willowbrook Mall now sits, there used to be 4 stop signs -- no overpasses, underpasses or lights. Even as the mall was being built, there were a couple of house trailers located across the street (1960).

Games People Play was awesome. I totally remember that place. We used to ride Go Karts at will too. There was a putt putt and go kart place right on Westhiemer somwhere between Hillcroft and the Galleria. I am not sure where it was right off the top of my head, but my parents used to give us $10 and drop us off. I just remembered that place. Awesome.

Does anyone remember Westbury Square?  I always wondered what that place was like.

I used to work, along with my older brother, at Rummpleheimers in the mid-1970s. It used to be a pretty nice place to go. I visted there recently when I was in Houston on business. Most of the Square is torn down now, consumed by Home Depot...too bad.

Found a picture of the candle shop:

z41.jpg

Really interesting replies.  I didn't grow up here so it's interesting to hear about all these places.

I new newbie and was wondering how you inserted a photo in your reply. I have some recent photos of Westbury Square I wanted to inset in my comments. I have the photos on my harddrive.

I new newbie and was wondering how you inserted a photo in your reply.  I have some recent photos of Westbury Square I wanted to inset in my comments.  I have the photos on my harddrive.

You'll have to upload them to an image-hosting service such as Photobucket. After that just insert the file address with the "IMG" button.

When my Father first moved here (60 somthing) The Kellog tower was just complete. They would have built it taller then the Exxon Building, but my father's company didn't. Rather then loose there top customer (Exxon) by building a taller building then them, they simply reduced it to what it is now. Expecially with the Petroleum Club ontop of it.

He told me after work, he would run on the track on the roof of the YMCA down the block.

He lived in one of the first houses of the young neighborhood in Spring. He went back to his home in Cologne Germany, and returning in 1971. He was surprised to see the new skyscraper (1 Shell Plaza). He had only stayed there a week.

As he so often returned and went back to Germany, he gradually saw the changes. Like the Bennigans on FM 1960 (there from the 80s) and the change of the forest on both sides, 2 lane road, into 4, then business' opening, and now the monster it is today.

As well as the skyline, I think he came back one time, and it was in the middle of the construction of the Houston Center. He said the city was changing so fast! (and it was). And in the 80s, when I was a youngin', we moved here. And he kept on saying how amazing it was here, with all the construction, and new neighborhoods popin' up every second. And all the skyscrapers. He didn't even reconize it anymore.

His company later moved to Louisiana Place, then to a company built building off of the beltway 8. (later the Westpark tollroad came there).

He has since moved about, and many things have changed.

• 1 month later...
Kaphan's on South Main at Kirby (where the CVS is now) was a big favorite of my family's. We had so many major celebrations of family events there, and my grandparents ate there almost every Sunday after church for decades. Not only was the food very good, but the service and staff were oustanding -- there were a number of waiters that had been there close to 50 years when the place finally closed down around 1993-1994. There was one waiter in particular that had been serving my grandparents, mother, and rest of the family for several decades, and he knew us all by name. I remember my last meal there in December 1992, when I was home for Christmas after my first semester of college. Mom and I had driven down to Houston on a Sunday morning to meet my grandparents for church and to celebrate my grandmother's birthday and deliver their Christmas presents. We had that particular waiter that day, and when he saw me he said "Master Steven! How was the first semester at Austin College?" I hadn't seen this guy in several months but he knew all about what I was up to from my grandparents. There was also a guy who worked there who wore a white suit (sort of a Marvin Zindler style) who always brought around a skillet of these hot crab ball appetizers. Those things were always so good. To this day many of my cousins talk about all those Sunday dinners we ate at Kaphan's and how the staff there always treated our family like royalty because my grandparents had eaten there so often for so many years. I still miss that place whenever I drive by the pharmacy that's there now. You just don't find restaurants with that kind of personal service much anymore.

I am not a regular member of this board. I was surfing the net tonight looking for information on Westbury Square and came across this thread and started reading...then I started to cry...you all touched on a subject that is very dear to me!

To ssullivan: I want to say THANK YOU! You made my night! My name is Linda Brown, and my father and uncle were two of the owners of Kaphan's. The guy in the white suit that you are referring to was my Uncle Peter...Peter Tomac. Uncle Pete passed away in March 2003 of lung cancer. He LOVED that restaurant! And we all hated to see it close...especially me! I grew up in that place and knew just about every inch of it. My little sister and I use to play in the ballroom on the stage when we would go to work with Dad (who was the chef) and there wasn't anything going on in the ballroom! And then, when we would get tired of playing, Dad would always serve us some of their peppermint ice cream.

The restaurant fell into hard times in the the late 80's early 90's. The "revitalization" of Main street was a good and bad thing. Good because it cleaned up Main from all the "trash" but it brought in way too many fast food joints like Taco Cabana and Sonic, and these types of places were hard on restaurants like Kaphan's, Guidos, etc. I drive by there now and see that CVS and I get tears in my eyes...and everytime I tell my husband that the site is just wrong.

Every once in awhile I can still get Dad to cook something for us, but not often. He says he prefers my cooking! LOL I have to laugh since he taught me everything I know! But he says he has done his share of cooking...and after all those years you can't blame him! He does lend a hand during the holidays...when he has to! LOL

KNOWING that you and your family have such fond memories of dining at Kaphan's made me realize that just because it is gone, it is not forgotten...and I needed that. Please extend a warm hello from my family to yours and I wish you all the best!

Linda

my neighborhood looks the same (probably worse) I lived in Fondren Southwest. My mom said it was nice when they moved in and as I grew up it got worse. I lived in a house but near me were apartments where there was alot of crime going on and drugs. They tore down a gas station and put up a temporary church or something I think is all that changed.

I am not a regular member of this board. I was surfing the net tonight looking for information on Westbury Square and came across this thread and started reading...then I started to cry...you all touched on a subject that is very dear to me!

To ssullivan: I want to say THANK YOU! You made my night! My name is Linda Brown, and my father and uncle were two of the owners of Kaphan's. The guy in the white suit that you are referring to was my Uncle Peter...Peter Tomac. Uncle Pete passed away in March 2003 of lung cancer. He LOVED that restaurant! And we all hated to see it close...especially me! I grew up in that place and knew just about every inch of it. My little sister and I use to play in the ballroom on the stage when we would go to work with Dad (who was the chef) and there wasn't anything going on in the ballroom! And then, when we would get tired of playing, Dad would always serve us some of their peppermint ice cream.

The restaurant fell into hard times in the the late 80's early 90's. The "revitalization" of Main street was a good and bad thing. Good because it cleaned up Main from all the "trash" but it brought in way too many fast food joints like Taco Cabana and Sonic, and these types of places were hard on restaurants like Kaphan's, Guidos, etc. I drive by there now and see that CVS and I get tears in my eyes...and everytime I tell my husband that the site is just wrong.

Every once in awhile I can still get Dad to cook something for us, but not often. He says he prefers my cooking! LOL I have to laugh since he taught me everything I know! But he says he has done his share of cooking...and after all those years you can't blame him! He does lend a hand during the holidays...when he has to! LOL

KNOWING that you and your family have such fond memories of dining at Kaphan's made me realize that just because it is gone, it is not forgotten...and I needed that. Please extend a warm hello from my family to yours and I wish you all the best!

Linda

Thanks for sharing that story. I have to admit that Kaphans was before my time and I never ate there, but I do know that it was an institution in Houston for many years. I'll bet there's a LOT of people out there with great memories of it. You should be proud of your connection to it.

I too have wonderful and fond memories of Westbury Square, even though I didn't move to Houston until 1979 (from Louisiana). It was June of 1968, a heady time if there ever was one, for me at least.

At a church camp in the Ozarks, I met some kids from South Main Baptist, got to be friends with them and subsequently came to Houston for a visit later that same summer. In the fall I would enter my senior year in high school, and one of my new friends was a lovely Houston girl. Boy, was I in love.

Anyway, while I was here, on a date with this girl, we wound up at Westbury Square after seeing a movie at a big theatre, a Cinemascope theatre, as a matter of fact, located on Richmond just outside the loop. Wow; haven't thought about that place for a long time...interesting how your mind takes you back.

So, we wound up at Westbury Square, walking hand in hand in the warm summer night. I remember the Candle Shop, Rumpleheimer's Ice Cream (we shared an ice cream soda), the men's clothing store (the name will come to me...years later, I bought a suit there); the book store, the Holland shop (one of the last holdouts, by the way); a leather crafts shop, and just a myriad of small boutique shops. And I remember those wonderful gas lamp posts, with real gas lamps burning - stopped and kissed her under one of those...ok, several of them.

Well, I'm sure I was heavily biased by the company I kept that night, but I'll never forget what a magical feeling it was being at Westbury Square, and it will always live in my memory the way it was that night. I live in Westbury today, and yes, I'm aware of the changes, but I don't really see them, I still see it the way it was. Dumb, I guess, to be so sentimental and romantic about a retail business establishment, but for me, it was a lot more than that.

If I were wealthy, I'd buy the property and try to bring it back, whether it made a dime or not. But then, I guess that attitude is probably why I'm not wealthy!

• 1 month later...

I just stumbled across this web site as I was looking for a picture of the "W" in the old Weingarten's logo. I'm trying to prove to my husband it's the same "W" the Washington Nationals baseball team uses. He probably wouldn't care even if I could find it...now I just want to prove it to myself! As for my neighborhood...We moved to Sharpstown in its hey-day of 1965. My Mom and Dad still live there. Our little pocket (bordered by Beechnut, Gessner, Bellaire and Fondren) has not changed much - except the trees are MUCH bigger. They just started re-modeling my old elementary school (Pat Neff) and I'm kind of nervous about that - some things I would rather be left alone. The surrounding area is what has really changed. I had a pet turtle once that I had to release to the wild - so Dad drove me to a field out in the middle of nowhere to release him...that middle of nowhere is what used to be the K-Mart on the corner of Beechnut and Highway 59. I remember when you could actually see the domed Arena theater on the corner of Fondren and 59 (only it was called something else). Now it's hidden by those two ugly black buildings on the corner. I remember when Sharpstown Mall was THE place to go. Does anyone remember the old carousel clock that was in the middle of the mall?! It had the six flags of Texas on the top and would play music and little doors would open to show different scenes from Texas as it turned around. It was very cool. I read somewhere it was a glockenspiel. Sharpstown Glockenspiel

All this talk about Westbury Square is bringing back memories. Recently I ran across a photograph of my mom, my sister and I sitting at the fountain around 1970 or 1971. I loved the candle shop and the ice cream parlor.

I grew up in SW Houston around Main (90) and Hillcroft. There was a Safeway and a Woolco there and a bank. Just over the RR tracks was a Burger King that I started working at when I was 16. Next door was a Pizza Inn. All of that is long gone now. There was an old move theater in Sugar Land on 90 that we used to go to as teenagers. Sugar Land was out in the middle of nowhere then. I remember taking a field trip to the sugar factory in elementary school. I graduated from Missouri City Jr High (I think it's called Missouri City Middle School now).

Old picture of Westbury Square:

Westbury.jpg

Houston-born-and-raised is that you playing by the fountain? :lol:

Btw this has an odd caption in the book I got it from. "A fountain in Westbury Square, a singular shopping center with a peculiar and arresting kind of magic at night."

Houston: The Once and Future City by George Fuermann, copyright 1971. I have that book and several of Fuermann's other books. Good stuff.

Exactly, thanks. The only other one I have by Fuermann is "Houston, The Feast Years" (1962). Can you recommned others? He was a columnist at the Houston post in addition to writing several books about the city. It's great that there was an author specializing in Houston.

Archived