Help in building a mod home...

MikeHeights

Hello board -

I live in the Heights in a 1995 renovated bungalow. I want out! What I want to do is buy a lot in the Heights somewhere and build my own mod type home...one level...about 2200 sq ft. Thing is - I don't have an architect in mind nor do I have the experience in doing this. What advice is out there? Is anyone else in this position or gone through this? If so, I would appreciate all advice or comments!!

Mike

Hello board -

I live in the Heights in a 1995 renovated bungalow. I want out! What I want to do is buy a lot in the Heights somewhere and build my own mod type home...one level...about 2200 sq ft. Thing is - I don't have an architect in mind nor do I have the experience in doing this. What advice is out there? Is anyone else in this position or gone through this? If so, I would appreciate all advice or comments!!

Mike

You should post this question in the Houston Mod section of this forum. There are several folks there who likely have recs for you. I only personally know Kathy Heard (she's on Richmond).

But the Houston Mod folks will get you more recs and additional information.

I've considered doing what you suggest as one of my options...if/when I can sell my Norhill bungalow. Just a few pointers I've picked up along the way (and tempered by my personal need to have the proceeds from selling my current house before moving on.): First, lots in the Heights are expensive. You will probably have to either settle for a smaller and/or odd-shaped lot that developers haven't already snatched up, or pay full price for a "teardown" that may make you a pariah on any given block depending on what's there now. Secondly, finding an architect/designer shouldn't be that hard. I've corresponded briefly with several and there are frequent references on this forum to local firms. I also have had talks with a custom builder from this site who could probably do the job. Thirdly, plan on 6-9 months from design execution to move-in. If you have to sell your current home first like me, count on renting something for the interim and having to move twice/store a lot of stuff. I still think this would be my dream house too, but in reality I may end up in a modern pre-built townhouse or fixer-upper MCM instead. Bad part about finding a used mod house is you're not likely to find one in or near the Heights.

I've considered doing what you suggest as one of my options...if/when I can sell my Norhill bungalow. Just a few pointers I've picked up along the way (and tempered by my personal need to have the proceeds from selling my current house before moving on.): First, lots in the Heights are expensive. You will probably have to either settle for a smaller and/or odd-shaped lot that developers haven't already snatched up, or pay full price for a "teardown" that may make you a pariah on any given block depending on what's there now. Secondly, finding an architect/designer shouldn't be that hard. I've corresponded briefly with several and there are frequent references on this forum to local firms. I also have had talks with a custom builder from this site who could probably do the job. Thirdly, plan on 6-9 months from design execution to move-in. If you have to sell your current home first like me, count on renting something for the interim and having to move twice/store a lot of stuff. I still think this would be my dream house too, but in reality I may end up in a modern pre-built townhouse or fixer-upper MCM instead. Bad part about finding a used mod house is you're not likely to find one in or near the Heights.

every once in a while, i'll pass a brick mod in the heights i hadn't seen before:

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...s=1&sType=0

I would think the 6 to 9 month time frame may be a bit aggressive. This would probably be a custom house/custom contractor with all the usual delays. Spend a more serious budget on Architect and planning. It's far more cost effective to erase than execute a change order. A custom house can balloon extremely fast if you "saved" money in planning. With a solid plan, you can negotiate a better contract and price as well. Contractors usually low ball an initial bid knowing that they can make it up on change orders. Expedited schedules also lead to subcontractor crew substitutions. Those in a rush, get who's available - not who's best. In the custom world always expect that good people are in demand and need to be scheduled well in advance. This is also where planning saves you more bucks. Give your site the proper settling/compacting time and let your foundation cure properly. Comfortably allow a year, and be rewarded if it takes less.

Also keep in mind that most trades have to numb their minds by building McMansions for impatient, stupidly cheap, culturaly illiterate, insultingly ignorant recalcitrants who never appreciate advice and always abuse the help. You are out to build an inovatively creative mod! Trades and architects love these kinds of projects and if you hire good people, then do yourself a favor and let them do the quality work they all really want to do, this will be an emensly rewarding experience for everyone.

A suggestion for architect would be some of those who have built in Houston for years. Some, although retired, may even want to do a regular 2200sf project just to get out of the house.

every once in a while, i'll pass a brick mod in the heights i hadn't seen before:

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...s=1&sType=0

That is mind blowing to me! I have lived almost 20 years within a mile of that house and have never seen it or any other MCM's in the Heights area proper, closest ones I knew of were in Timbergrove and Shepherd Forest. I drove by to take a look last night and it looks to be in pretty good shape. Kind of a weird block with a mix of single family homes and apartments, but utterly Heights funky like I adore. Hope the new owner doesn't tear it down.

HappyHistorian's post got me to thinking about what the OP's intentions are? No offense, but HH's reply makes a lot of sense if money/time is no object. For me, those items are important and I firmly believe that modern style good design doesn't inherently have to be expensive. After all, modernism's roots have always included the idea that everyman should be able to live in this style of home. FLW had that vision, as did the California Case Study architects. Two of the architects/designers I spoke with relished the idea of coming up with a cool house that didn't cost a fortune. So MikeHeights, I guess a good question going forward is "how much do you want to spend?"

HappyHistorian's post got me to thinking about what the OP's intentions are? No offense, but HH's reply makes a lot of sense if money/time is no object. For me, those items are important and I firmly believe that modern style good design doesn't inherently have to be expensive. After all, modernism's roots have always included the idea that everyman should be able to live in this style of home. FLW had that vision, as did the California Case Study architects. Two of the architects/designers I spoke with relished the idea of coming up with a cool house that didn't cost a fortune. So MikeHeights, I guess a good question going forward is "how much do you want to spend?"

Not sure what I would have to spend. Around 400k is what I would want to budget it at - but not sure if that would cover it. I'm interested in minimalism - but not entirely spartan and clinical. I don't have a handle on building fees or architect fees. I guess I'd have to come up with some ideas and talk to an architect. Would I be able to get an appt with an architect and do a feasibility type meeting? (for a fee of course...) Is that the best way to go? Yeah - I'm clueless.

Scott08 - I'm in Norhill too...east of Studewood between Algregg and Legreen.

Not sure what I would have to spend. Around 400k is what I would want to budget it at - but not sure if that would cover it. I'm interested in minimalism - but not entirely spartan and clinical. I don't have a handle on building fees or architect fees. I guess I'd have to come up with some ideas and talk to an architect. Would I be able to get an appt with an architect and do a feasibility type meeting? (for a fee of course...) Is that the best way to go? Yeah - I'm clueless.

Scott08 - I'm in Norhill too...east of Studewood between Algregg and Legreen.

I like concrete, steel and glass....and a comfortable floor for my overpronating feet...so maybe not a complete concrete floor...but those are the elements i want.

$400K should get you a pretty good house if you can keep the lot value down. Expect to pay $150K at least in the Heights proper, but you might find something for less if you expand your horizons a bit. I have seen smaller oddly shaped lots in the Heights for less than $100K and you can find prices like that in the Heights "fringe" areas too. I kind of think you need a general idea of what you want the house to look like before you talk to an architect. Either sketch something yourself, or find some pictures of houses you like, then arrange a meeting with someone. Another idea would be to search through this forum for the names of local firms that have been mentioned before, peruse their websites for past projects and see if any of them look like what you're imagining. I have heard architect's fees of up to around 10% of the total project cost but I think that's a pretty flexible estimate. "Superstar" architects will probably quote you a flat fee upfront, but you will find others who love to do cool projects when they can and will probably work within your budget. I would say based on a $100K lot, $300K building/design costs will get you a really cool house.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=14676

Here's another related thread.

Hello board -

Mike

Archived