Singer Opts for 'Black National Anthem' Over 'Star-Spangled Banner'

stresident

Regardless of subject matter, when you're asked to do something...do it. She didn't sing what she was asked to, and that's unprofessional.

With regard to subject matter, I feel that it's disrespectful of her to assume that her entire audience wants to hear the "national anthem" of some subset of people instead of the National Anthem of all people assembled. If someone else had gotten up there and sang the "national anthem" of the Cherokee Nation or the Irish-Americans or the Puerto Ricans, I would be equally irritated.

If this were a Juneteenth celebration or some other situation in which black heritage and culture was being celebrated, I might understand her decision. But this was simply a gathering of Americans at a straightforward city (of Denver) function, who should have been able to hear the National Anthem. Singling out only one group of people for the purposes of "creative expression" or any other reason was rude and thoughtless. She should be ashamed of her actions.

Just my two cents...

"What she said was that she was very sorry, that she meant no disrespect, that she was trying to make a creative expression of her love for the country," Hickenlooper said.

The above quote is a load of crap... She most deffinately had an agenda in mind, and anyone who argues that is off their rocker. I'd love to say more, but some here will label me a racist. I can't imagine what would happen to a white guy who stood up and sang a white version of this. He would be strung up before morning.

Let the politically correct posters of HAIF begin...

Edit: Using my own advise, I deleted a sentence.

My thought?

This is NOT a news story. It's fluff used to distract us from the stuff that matters.

If it is successful at 'distracting' a sufficiently large number of people, then does that not prove its newsworthiness, if only in particular media venues?

I don't particularly care about the latest Britney Spears or Amy Winehouse scandals for instance, nor will I watch that coverage, but that doesn't mean that a lot of people don't consider it news.

Yeah but this holds about the same significance as the latest Britney scandal or crap like this. Would there have been a story if she had chosen to sing "America the Beautiful"? No and she would have probably been praised for it, since at one time there were people considering changing it to the National Anthem. It's just plain ole normal BS reporting.

My thought?

This is NOT a news story. It's fluff used to distract us from the stuff that matters.

You're exactly right. Racial issues in this country have no bearing or meaning around here. Well said Kink. :rolleyes:

If Lily Whiteville, had gotten up there and sang, "The White National Anthem." You would have sprung a sprocket. Not to worry though, I heard Clay Aiken will be singing the "Gay National Anthem" at the World Series this year.

"City Councilman Charlie Brown" :lol: Tee hee! ^_^

I wonder if when the Mayor is speaking, Councilman Brown hears his old homeroom teacher ? "Whah wa whaaaa, wha wha wha WHAH whah ." Just a thought. B)

The above quote is a load of crap... She most deffinately had an agenda in mind, and anyone who argues that is off their rocker. I'd love to say more, but some here will label me a racist. I can't imagine what would happen to a white guy who stood up and sang a white version of this. He would be strung up before morning.

Come on though. It may seem separatist in this day and age but why do we always come up with the line of "what if a white person were to...."? If anyone reads the history of the song it is not even negative or even seperatist, being the time it was written. If there were a white person singing a white national anthem, what exactly would it represent? I guarantee it would not be for the same reason for why "Lift Every Voice and Sing" is in existence.

From wikipedia:

Singing this song quickly became a way for African Americans to demonstrate their patriotism and hope for the future. In calling for earth and heaven to "ring with the harmonies of Liberty," they could speak out subtly against racism and Jim Crow laws

Not to worry though, I heard Clay Aiken will be singing the "Gay National Anthem" at the World Series this year.

Clay Aiken is gay? -GASP!- He's never admitted it, but it looks like you've pulled a Rosie (Rosie O'Donnel called Clay Aiken gay on "The View"). As Jimmy Kimmel said in response, "thanks a lot you big mouthed moose!" :lol:

OT, this song is featured in the film "Brewster McCloud".

Backed by the Jack Yates High School marching band I may add.

Isn't the "Star Spangled Banner" the white national anthem?

I thought it was "Achy Breaky Heart". :P

Isn't the "Star Spangled Banner" the white national anthem?

No, it is the *.* national anthem.

Why there needs to be something referred to as the black national anthem is further evidence of an unwillingness of a segment of the black population to be truly equal. Being truly equal means not separating one's self as well.

You can't trust anyone these days to sing a song like it's supposed to be sung. I often cringe when I hear some gal sing the anthem and she feels compelled to put her own urban twist to it by hitting several notes on just one voul. Just sing the song woman 'then go to your seat. Nobody likes a show-off.

Clay Aiken is gay? -GASP!- He's never admitted it, but it looks like you've pulled a Rosie (Rosie O'Donnel called Clay Aiken gay on "The View"). As Jimmy Kimmel said in response, "thanks a lot you big mouthed moose!" :lol:

You have to be gay to sing the "gay national anthem." ? You learn something new everyday.

Why there needs to be something referred to as the black national anthem is further evidence of an unwillingness of a segment of the black population to be truly equal. Being truly equal means not separating one's self as well.

Sounds like you don't even know the history of the song, why it was written, and got coined "The Black National Anthem". Do a search for "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and "James Weldon Johnson" and be educated.

You have to be gay to sing the "gay national anthem." ? You learn something new everyday.

What is the "gay national anthem"? Some showtune?

Sounds like you don't even know the history of the song, why it was written, and got coined "The Black National Anthem". Do a search for "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and "James Weldon Johnson" and be educated.

First, you shouldn't assume I'm ignorant of the history of the song. I'm very aware, and that doesn't change anything.

Second, way to go for managing to try to call me out for my ignorance only to follow it up with an insult towards homosexuals.

As I said in post #3, "Let the politically correct posters of HAIF begin".

They aren't gonna even TRY to defend this Gary, especially TODAY ! The looney left knows she had an agenda and she was wrong.

They aren't gonna even TRY to defend this Gary, especially TODAY ! The looney left knows she had an agenda and she was wrong.

Happy 4th TJ. Hope all is well with your family bro. Mines doing great, and is about to start up our celebration of this great nation.

Regardless of subject matter, when you're asked to do something...do it. She didn't sing what she was asked to, and that's unprofessional.

I agree.... I don't care if she's black, white, gay, or from Mars; she was asked to perform a specific song at a city/state function and she turned it into something for her own agenda.. Crap like that divides races even more.

Sure seemed like a not very smart thing to do.

Though I thought it was fascinating that one of the OUTRAGED commentators on Fox last night - was asked - "would you be outraged if she had substituted GOD BLESS AMERICA for the regular national anthem?"

He said, "Probably not."

At least he was honest!

GBA would be "politically correct." "Lift Every Voice" was not.

I agree.... I don't care if she's black, white, gay, or from Mars; she was asked to perform a specific song at a city/state function and she turned it into something for her own agenda.. Crap like that divides races even more.

Self-serving agendas at city council meetings? Why, there ought to be a law!!!! Where did this woman get the idea that self-serving agendas were welcome at city council meetings!!!!! And why do we care what occurs at DENVER city council meetings!!!!!

Oh, I forgot. Just saw the news network that is stirring the "outrage". Let no one accuse Fox News viewers of being Pavlovian. :lol:

IT'S RAINING MEN!! :D

Ok.. on a more serious note... the problem wasn't WHAT she decided to sing (black national anthem), it was that she didn't sing what she was told to. Our National Anthem is for ALL American, regardless of color of skin.

First, you shouldn't assume I'm ignorant of the history of the song. I'm very aware, and that doesn't change anything.

Second, way to go for managing to try to call me out for my ignorance only to follow it up with an insult towards homosexuals.

lolwut.jpg

Ok.. on a more serious note... the problem wasn't WHAT she decided to sing (black national anthem), it was that she didn't sing what she was told to.

No, I'm pretty sure Fox is banging this drum because of the specific song she sang. They love righteously outraged white people.

No, I'm pretty sure Fox is banging this drum because of the specific song she sang. They love righteously outraged white people.

Ooo... I wasn't speaking for Fox... sorry. Yea, I agree Faux News loves when white people get angry (i'm white... i didn't anger me)... I find it silly.

Archived