Almeda Mall History

Randyt7801

That Target has needed to be replaced. The old Marshalls next to it has been sitting vacant for at least 5-8 years

All of this area is depressing. The last of glory days were in late 70's early 80's. In fact several nearby stores are shutting down. That raunchy Burger King is soooooo outdated. Go inside and its 1975! and quite filthy. Almeda Mall is like a horse that needs to be shot due to a broken leg that wont mend.

The party fled for Fairmont Parkway shopping centers and Baybrook Mall years ago. At least there you feel like your in 2008. No time warps involved. :)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of this area is depressing. The last of glory days were in late 70's early 80's. In fact several nearby stores are shutting down. That raunchy Burger King is soooooo outdated. Go inside and its 1975! and quite filthy. Almeda Mall is like a horse that needs to be shot due to a broken leg that wont mend.

Yeah, old stuff sucks! Tear everything down all the time!! The past is poison!

Yeah, old stuff sucks! Tear everything down all the time!! The past is poison!

Middle to low end retail in a sea of concrete is the exact same crap whether the wrapper is circa 1979 or 2009.

I think there must be some sort of psycholigcal condition that causes people to go into unintelligible spasms every time they cross an intersection with a fast food restaurant more than 10 years old. Tear it down! Eyesore! Agghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I think there must be some sort of psycholigcal condition that causes people to go into unintelligible spasms every time they cross an intersection with a fast food restaurant more than 10 years old. Tear it down! Eyesore! Agghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

And 40 or 50 years later they'll build simulations of those same fast food joints they tore down.

Love the ugly buildings until new eyes have a chance to see them.

The party fled for Fairmont Parkway shopping centers and Baybrook Mall years ago. At least there you feel like your in 2008. No time warps involved. :)

Hey that Burger King is very nostalgic to me! That's where I had my first Mustard Whopper! Also where I ate my first and only Whaler!!! :o

Those were the days when it was a treat to go "out to eat" at a Burger King! Now it's an all-too-often occurence.

I'm also a bit nostalgic over that Burger King. I remember when it was brand new. We'd skip out of Dobie at lunch and zoom over there, which was forbidden at the time.

For a little while, in a building at the far end of the Target parking lot was a place that had a bunch of trampolines, and I remember going to a family friend's birthday party there one time and jumping around. It didn't last long - think it became a lamp store after that for a while.

I'm also a bit nostalgic over that Burger King. I remember when it was brand new. We'd skip out of Dobie at lunch and zoom over there, which was forbidden at the time.

Yeah, that Burger King was one of the only fast food joints for miles around back in the early 70s. It was the place I discovered that connecting two of those paper crowns together would produce a snazzy belt.

For a little while, in a building at the far end of the Target parking lot was a place that had a bunch of tramolines, and I remember going to a family friend's birthday party there one time and jumping around. It didn't last long - think it became a lamp store after that for a while.

I loved the trampoline place. It was just a giant metal shed with open ends and wall-to-wall trampolines.

Hey that Burger King is very nostalgic to me! That's where I had my first Mustard Whopper! Also where I ate my first and only Whaler!!! :o

Those were the days when it was a treat to go "out to eat" at a Burger King! Now it's an all-too-often occurence.

I always used to lust the Whaler! It seems to have shrunk to a childs size over the years :mellow: The King was always a treat thats true, we used to actually run inside after coming from church. They must have thought we were stir crazy!

Maybe because that was my 1st real job I get kind of queezy when I enter any BK now. I remember we used to curse like hell when we were about to lock the blasted door and go home when all of a sudden a f..g bus load of hungry jerks would pull in like at seconds to closing. They all had pathetic smiles on thier faces but we were kicking the panels under the counter & swearing out loud but they never knew it since they were on the outside. :D

Here's the King making a move once again. Who says you can't have it your way?

king.jpg

Yeah, that Burger King was one of the only fast food joints for miles around back in the early 70s. It was the place I discovered that connecting two of those paper crowns together would produce a snazzy bel

:lol: ...The one on Harrisburg Blvd. by the Sears gave out little BK stickers once, I remember because they ended up on my grandmother's front living room window, on one of those little glass panes, Were there for years. Gotta love those gmothers.

Yeah, that Burger King was one of the only fast food joints for miles around back in the early 70s. It was the place I discovered that connecting two of those paper crowns together would produce a snazzy belt.

I loved the trampoline place. It was just a giant metal shed with open ends and wall-to-wall trampolines.

wasn't there a slot car racetrack too - over by monterey house?

When I was about 8 or 9 I remember proudly purchasing a foot-shaped, hot-pink shag rug with my own money, from the Almeda Spencers. Fast forward to age 11 and buying a Kiss poster and some of those dyed-feather earrings that were popular in the 70s.

Is Spencers still around?

A friend worked at the Russell-Stover candy store in Almeda Mall, which was located near the center court. I worked briefly at Palais Royal and Battlesteins. Anyone remember Hardy's Shoes and Spencer Gifts?

Hardy had the most modern of foot wear at least for guys. Platform shoes come to mind. There was even one in the Galleria around 1978. ^_^

I used to hit J Riggings mens store just outside the Foley's door to the right circa 1979-81? The line was as close to GQ mag as you could get. You could dress like R. Gere of American Gigolo fame but minus the $$$. Call me!

Received my first lesson in concert ticket buying at the Ticketmaster (or whatever it was back in the early 70's) in the Almeda Mall Foleys. The friendly lady behind the counter sold me two tickets for a concert at Hofheinz Pavilion. She said these were very good seats. When I got home, I noticed the "OBSTRUCTED VIEW" stamped across the back of the tickets.

• 1 month later...

I should have made a bet that Macy's would be shutting down here. :angry2: This specific one had become run down and had an appearance of a Purple Heart thrift store. Employee's had that "I dont care any more" look on thier faces. It would be interesting to see how much $ this one was losing just to keep the lights on. I see implosion on the horizon. All the king's horse's and all the king's men couldnt possibly keep Macy's to resurface here again. lol

• 1 month later...

Macys will reopen its hurricane-damaged locations at Deerbrook and Almeda malls this summer after they are completely remodeled, the department store chain said today.

The company said the Deerbrook site is to reopen in August and the Almeda location is to return in September, about a full year after Hurricane Ike shut both locations. Macys said it will strip both stores to their

Almeda Mall has fond memories for me. It was "our" shopping center, having grown up in nearby Arlington Heights. And, when I graduated from UT with a degree in Advertising, my very first job was as the mall's "Community Relations Director" which was a fancy way of saying Asst. Marketing Director. It was a terrific job for a young, single, energetic person.

I remember wading barefoot in some of the fountains in the wee hours of the morning, after burning midnight oil hanging from a ladder stringing East/Christmas/whatever decor, grumbling "I didnt' go to college to do this flurf" but secretly loving every minute.

My biggest problem was my mom coming to my office at any hour, expecting me to just be able to leave my job and go shopping. She seemed to think since I worked at a shopping center, "shopping" was part of my job description. ;)

At the time, the mall was managed by The Rouse Co. out of Columbia, Maryland, and a class-act of a company. Northwest Mall was its identical-twin 'sister' mall with its own marketing director.

I left around '81 when the hours started getting to me. I always threatend to write a screenplay of my wacky experiences - entitled "Attention Shoppers!"

• 3 months later...
There were 2 diffrent theatres at Almeda each in the same parking lot but on diffrent sides. One night I was there with some friends and we were waiting in line to see a movie. Soem kids came up in a fancy custom car did a few donuts and burn outs then shot across the parking lot towards the other. About half way across the car suddenly gave a lurch and there was a gring noise. Evidently they did not know or forgot about the big curb dividing the parking lot down the middle. Luckily no was hurt but I think they ended up ripping their under carriage out as well as a few other things. When we got out of our movie two hours later they were still out there with a tow truck and a few police.

Would any one know the names of the two Theatres at Almada Mall? I have old movie ticket stubs from both I think? One set says Almeda Theatres and the other may be (Almeda East 5) ? Not sure on the last one.

Would any one know the names of the two Theatres at Almada Mall? I have old movie ticket stubs from both I think? One set says Almeda Theatres and the other may be (Almeda East 5) ? Not sure on the last one.

i'm thinking i remember multiple names....almeda 4, then they opened the other (east and west) and then i'm remembering an almeda square (which i think is when the almeda 4 one closed)

i'm thinking i remember multiple names....almeda 4, then they opened the other (east and west) and then i'm remembering an almeda square (which i think is when the almeda 4 one closed)

Almeda 4 was the first one. I remember seeing Jaws there.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My memories of Almeda Mall are vague, but I do remember the awnings - wish I had a photo. I also remember:

At the Foley's, a small pirate ship or something similar in the kids' shoe department on which kids could climb. A separate room for girl-scout and boy-scout uniforms and equipment. An area close by that sold Hello-Kitty-type merchandise - little diaries and notepads and the like. In the girls' clothes area, I think there was a small raised pavilion or something. And I remember really well many trips to the store restaurant - up on the second floor, I think - that would give kids two or three crayolas and a page from a coloring book. The old Foley's shopping bags.

In the mall at large, the Farrell's that has been mentioned elsewhere, and lots of details about it and the candy shop at the entrance. The pet store, which I think was across from the Farrell's. The record store, though I forget what it was called in the 1970's/early 80's. The Spencer's, with the black-light-lit posters section at the back, and its 18+ section. The center fountain meeting point. The book store, which always had different color pens with big feathers attached to them. The movie theater, I think, too.

I'm sure I'm forgetting others - my early mall memories are from Almeda, the Galleria, Gulfgate, and Baybrook, and a lot of them mix together.

Psalm Center was first, griggs at mlk. then came gulfgate in 1957. then almeda mall and northwest mall (virtually twins) then memorial city mall at gessner/i-10, then town and country (now history) then greenspoint, willowbrook, baybrook, san jacinto mall

the mall at hwy 6/westheimer, and the last one i know of is katy mills............an farrells was great it has the Pigs Trough--2 bananas and 8 scoops of ice cream with all the trimmings--i still have my ribbon somewhere

• 10 months later...

Wow, this site brings back memories. Spend quite a lot of time and money at that mall. Does anyone remember the Pipe Pub? Bought my first pipe...always like to just walk through that place, after eating at Picadilly.

Speaking of Foley's and Penney's. Each had their own automotive department. They both were free standing buildings. When Foley's exited the auto business, their building was torn down. The Penney's building eventually turned into a Firestone, don't know what it is now. It might of been something else before the Firestone.

Strange thing...the area north, down Almeda-Genoa has new businesses and doing decent. The area south on Fuqua, same thing. It's almost like someone (as in business) is waiting for the whole mall area to hit totally ghetto and then maybe go another direction?

post-9377-003657100 1281930935_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived