Moving to 610 loop

mehul

Hey,

I'm looking at a house right off of 610 loop near Mykawa and Griggs St (southeast). Is this an ok location? Any suggestions are appreciated. please email me at mehuls85@gmail.com or reply to thread if u can help!

Thanks!

rps324 is way too nice. ^_^

Dude, Mykawa and 610? As in, by the Mykawa police station and the hundreds of hookers and crackheads that are released back into society every day? Why exactly does this location appeal to you? It's a seriously rough part of town. :blink:

rps324 is way too nice. ^_^

Dude, Mykawa and 610? As in, by the Mykawa police station and the hundreds of hookers and crackheads that are released back into society every day? Why exactly does this location appeal to you? It's a seriously rough part of town. :blink:

I found a new gated townhouse complex that has an affordable price for me. even though it's gated do you think i'll have problems?

what type of things are you looking for in a home and its surroundings?

i'm looking for a two bedroom two bath townhouse for under 110,000 dollars inside 610 loop. I work near minute maid park so I want to be within 15 miiles of that location. This place isnt exactly off of mykawa it might be an exit or two east of mykawa.

The police station is a couple of miles south of the loop. Where exactly is this complex? The character of neighborhoods in Houston can change from one block to the next. It would help to have a more definite locale.

I work near minute maid park so I want to be within 15 miiles of that location.

You do realize that radius is slightly larger than the Beltway, don't you? That would mean anything from Humble to Pearland, Town and Country to Pasadena would qualify.

There are literally thousands of options in that price range within this area and certainly more appealing ones than in the area you mention.

I think I know the townhouse community he's talking about. For the first few months I drove by them after they were constructed, I seriously wondered if they were model homes for a new development in some other part of town, they were that out of place. I imagine that specific area is relatively quiet but it really is isolated. It's located near a rock quarry, I believe, as well as the old Auchan's property.

As Dal said, if a fifteen-mile radius is your criteria, you've given yourself a pretty large range from which to choose. I'm not trying to dissaude you from the location you've mentioned here, just saying that you don't have to feel married to it either. You have plenty of options.

This area is "sketchy", but not terrible or life-threatening like people want to make it out to be.

I live in Eastwood (near I-45 and Lockwood to be exact) and I ride my bike down there all of the time. The vast majority of the area is middle and lower-middle class Hispanic neighborhoods. It's nothing to worry about. It is also changing rapidly through diversification, and in my opinion is becoming safer by the day.

FYI though, you might check out the upper East End by downtown. Condos and townhomes are springing up over there, and these will be hot commodities once the East End rail line gets built. They're still pretty cheap right now though.

This area isn't horrible like stated above, but it isn't the best either. If you have kids, I wouldn't send them to these schools out here. Jones, Milby, and Chavez aren't the best. If you are working at Minute Maid I would suggest Bellaire (although it may be less cost efficient), or the Heights. Hey, even new town homes are popping up on the Aldine Eisenhower/Klein Forest boundary, which look pretty nice. I just feel that if you don't want a "ghetto" atmosphere, you shouldn't pick the southeast part of the inner loop.

This area isn't horrible like stated above, but it isn't the best either. If you have kids, I wouldn't send them to these schools out here. Jones, Milby, and Chavez aren't the best. If you are working at Minute Maid I would suggest Bellaire (although it may be less cost efficient), or the Heights. Hey, even new town homes are popping up on the Aldine Eisenhower/Klein Forest boundary, which look pretty nice. I just feel that if you don't want a "ghetto" atmosphere, you shouldn't pick the southeast part of the inner loop.

2BR/2BA in the Heights for less than $110K?? Don't think those exist anymore...

i'm looking for a two bedroom two bath townhouse for under 110,000 dollars inside 610 loop. I work near minute maid park so I want to be within 15 miiles of that location. This place isnt exactly off of mykawa it might be an exit or two east of mykawa.

For under $110k you can find some new single-family homes (not townhomes) in South Union. I don't know if you are that attached to the townhome idea, but for $110k or less you can have a yard and all the joys that come with it. From South Union, entering 288 at Holly Hall, you're 5 minutes from downtown, even in traffic.

$99k, 3BR/2BA, on Goodhope. Kind of odd set-up, and they're definitely proud of the garage...:

lr2045998-2.jpg

Here's a little nicer one for $125k, on Seabrook. 3BR/2.5BA:

lr2098407-1.jpg

I've seen the subdivision you originally posted about. In fact, my wife and I toured some of the homes a couple years back out of curiousity. We liked some of the layouts of the houses, some we didn't like. I always thought it was an odd location for a subdivision, tucked between a couple of industrial/business park areas.

That being said, I don't think there's anything unsafe about the area...take all the normal precautions you would whether you're in River Oaks or Sunnyside. Be aware there aren't many retail amenities in the immediate area, but you're less than 5 minutes from Gulfgate, 10 minutes from Meyerland, and 15 minutes from Pearland.

This area is "sketchy", but not terrible or life-threatening like people want to make it out to be.

I live in Eastwood (near I-45 and Lockwood to be exact) and I ride my bike down there all of the time. The vast majority of the area is middle and lower-middle class Hispanic neighborhoods. It's nothing to worry about. It is also changing rapidly through diversification, and in my opinion is becoming safer by the day.

FYI though, you might check out the upper East End by downtown. Condos and townhomes are springing up over there, and these will be hot commodities once the East End rail line gets built. They're still pretty cheap right now though.

what do you mean by upper east end? How would I find these townhouses or condos? I dont have kids. I just started working and i'm not even married. The ones that you were thinking of probably are the exact townhouses that you saw. they are right off of the loop. Where are these other properties that you guys are talking about? I searched har.com and havent found anything.

what do you mean by upper east end? How would I find these townhouses or condos? I dont have kids. I just started working and i'm not even married. The ones that you were thinking of probably are the exact townhouses that you saw. they are right off of the loop. Where are these other properties that you guys are talking about? I searched har.com and havent found anything.

I think closest to the ballpark is zip 77003--lots of townhouses in that area, but maybe out of your price range. Zip 77023 is Eastwood and the surrounding area--not much in the way of townhomes, but some good values in single-family.

But the best advice for anyone coming to Houston for the first time is to rent, at least for the first six months. Nothing is moving so fast that it can't wait a few months for you to be sure about what you're getting.

I found a new gated townhouse complex that has an affordable price for me. even though it's gated do you think i'll have problems?

Gated complexes in rough neighborhoods are a mixed bag. Just be careful, maybe ask the exisiting neighbors how life is like. I know people who bought Urban Lofts in the 4th Ward and they hear gun shots constantly. It is a complex neighborhood transition. But who knows, 10 years from now, you might be super happy with the area if it keeps improving.

Archived