Rice Design Alliance 2008 Design Charrette

lockmat

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;event_id=458

8am-4pm

(Note: Site visit is Saturday, July 19)

Reservations required

www.rda.rice.edu

With its hike and bike trails, lush landscaping, exciting public art, and imaginative lunar lighting scheme, Buffalo Bayou is being transformed into an active and vibrant waterfront destination in downtown Houston. Routine flooding, however, restricts other entertainment from further activating this valuable public space. But does it have to? For its 2008 Design Charrette, Rice Design Alliance joins with Buffalo Bayou Partnership to investigate how Houston

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;event_id=458

8am-4pm

(Note: Site visit is Saturday, July 19)

Reservations required

www.rda.rice.edu

With its hike and bike trails, lush landscaping, exciting public art, and imaginative lunar lighting scheme, Buffalo Bayou is being transformed into an active and vibrant waterfront destination in downtown Houston. Routine flooding, however, restricts other entertainment from further activating this valuable public space. But does it have to? For its 2008 Design Charrette, Rice Design Alliance joins with Buffalo Bayou Partnership to investigate how Houston's design community can "stir things up" along Buffalo Bayou by creating a movable "kiosk" system. Potential activation sites include the bayou's 10-mile trail system, the Allen Parkway "dog park," Sabine Promenade, and Sesquicentennial Park.

For more information, visit www.rda.rice.edu or call 713.348.4876

This could get ugly. I mean, really. Dog Park, maybe.

Did you ever notice that people in the design and planning communities really like to have "charrettes"? You can go years, and never hear about "charrettes" in any other context. Why does this bother me? I'm not quite sure, it just does.

Putting senseless fussing about the name aside, it does sound like an interesting program.

• The title was changed to Rice Design Alliance 2008 Design Charrette

Archived