AT&T Moving to DFW

Trae

As I understand it, AT&T is moving HQ, not operations. That's probalby 700-1000 lower to upper management jobs in home-office functions like legal, finance, communications/advertising, HR, that they originally moved from St Louis to San Antonio. So, no, I doubt they'd be building a new tower in Dallas. And the bulk of the operations jobs in SA will stay there. Those jobs were there before AT&T even showed up---San Antonio was a major ops hub for Southwestern Bell.

Bottom line is it's not taking many jobs away from SA--because they were jobs that were imported to begin with. The talent pool is very shallow. I could rarely fill entry and near-entry level positions in marketing comm at USAA with local talent. In fact they only reason I was there was because I was recruited away from Houston with some AIM and American General transplants. The rumors of USAA moving to Phoenix have been around for years, and it ain't gonna happen because they can't unload the land they're on. The campus is huge, almost Pentagon-huge. And the only CEO ever to entertain the idea left rather unceremoniously earlier this year, so I think the USAA is safe for now. Actually there's some karma; in the 60s and 70s, before building The Compound, USAA occupied the building on Broadway later taken over by SWB.

As I understand it, AT&T is moving HQ, not operations. That's probalby 700-1000 lower to upper management jobs in home-office functions like legal, finance, communications/advertising, HR, that they originally moved from St Louis to San Antonio. So, no, I doubt they'd be building a new tower in Dallas. And the bulk of the operations jobs in SA will stay there. Those jobs were there before AT&T even showed up---San Antonio was a major ops hub for Southwestern Bell.

Bottom line is it's not taking many jobs away from SA--because they were jobs that were imported to begin with.

Only 700-1000 headquarters jobs is a very big deal, especially in a market like San Antonio. Don't forget about all the secondary impacts to the service sector of the economy.

And after all, it isn't like they showed up last year and will be gone next year. People got settled in.

Most of these people probably have families, too, so a lot of houses will be going up for sale in San Antonio.

Compounding things, SA has a high homeownership rate, and this is all going down at the same time that Toyota and some of its vendors are cutting back on their workforce.

San Antonio was rated by Kiplinger's as the second most recession-proof city in the country...but I think they're full of ____. It's obviously Houston.

Compounding things, SA has a high homeownership rate, and this is all going down at the same time that Toyota and some of its vendors are cutting back on their workforce.

San Antonio was rated by Kiplinger's as the second most recession-proof city in the country...but I think they're full of ____. It's obviously Houston.

SA is gaining military through the base re-alignment, especially BAMC medical jobs at the higher end of the food chain. I think they will weather the AT&T thing fine. SA still has education and labor pool issues that will keep good professional jobs from coming and staying, IMO.

Most of these people probably have families, too, so a lot of houses will be going up for sale in San Antonio.

There are always a lot of houses for sale in SA, because of the transient military community.

Forbes recently (two days ago) had a list for the top ten cities in the US for college graduates. The first three were: Houston, DFW, and Austin (in that order). SA didn't make the list. For having the highest college student per capita (something like that) SA needs to find a way to keep those graduates.

Forbes recently (two days ago) had a list for the top ten cities in the US for college graduates. The first three were: Houston, DFW, and Austin (in that order). SA didn't make the list. For having the highest college student per capita (something like that) SA needs to find a way to keep those graduates.

That's good for Houston. But we do need to produce more of those grads too.

Did you notice how they put Houston photo for Frisco, Calif.? I dashed to #1 to see if they simply swapped photos but nope, we just came first and last.

Today's Times says only 700 jobs are actually moving to Dallas. The other 5,300 will remain in San Antonio. So it sounds like they're only moving the execs, the secretaries and the salesfolk to Dallas.

Gee, no one has ever said that about Houston before....at least, not since 1986. :blink:

If I recall, actually, Oklahoma City was #1 and Tulsa was up there too. Houston was on it as well, but slightly lower. So yeah, it is kind of remincient of a different era.

Many employees of SBC in St. Louis thought the country club rumor was true. At the time several officers had property at Horseshoe Bay. They took co. planes every weekend down to play golf and fish. Ann Richards courted them to move to Texas. Dallas was always the logical choice. The chairman liked SA and the president didn't like Dallas. When SBC left St. Louis, no one even yawned. All those guys who have houses at the lake have retired. Nothing to hold them in SA. Never should have gone there in the first place. The story was because of all the business they were doing in Mexico.. They needed to be closer.

Being a native of San Antonio, I think this is a pretty big loss for them. While SA does have a lot going for it, high-paying jobs is not anywhere near the top of that list. It is overwhelmed with service industry (relatively low wage) positions. Outside of Valero, I cannot think of another major company HQ'd in SA.

A number of AT&T jobs will stay in SA, but of course many suppliers will follow suit. Definitely a blow to the city.

Clear Channel Communications, Tower Life Insurance (The Insurance cards have a picture of the Building), Advantage Rent A Car, Frost National Bank, USAA, Taco Cabana, and a few other Energy (& Energy Related companies).

• 5 weeks later...
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/business/5860371.html

Smart move by AT&T. Its not like being in San Antonio was bad for them, but moving to a much larger metropolitan area will definitely help them.

Cool for DFW. Wonder where they will locate.

The rule of thumb in DFW is:

#1: Las Colinas is the best location for a global headquarters with its convenience to DFW airport.

#2: Downtown Dallas is becoming the financial center for the Southwest again.

#3: Downtown Fort Worth is the headquarters for the largest gas field in North America.

#4: The Telecom corridor has the second largest concentration of telecommunications companies in the nation in 25 million square feet of high quality space.

#5: The platinum Corridor is a paradise of retail.

Moving to Fort Worth is out of the question while a move to any of the other four wouldn't surprise me in the least.

But I am really bullish on Las Colinas. When any company chooses to relocate there, it is just the smart thing to do.

• 8 months later...

And AT&T's adding a retail store at the base of their new HQ:

3468013469_df7817086c.jpg

These two pictures I took last week but they are doing some serious remodeling removing to put in this store and I am guessing a really nice lobby. At least this Fort Knox fortress of a building will finally have some street level activity. As you can see in one of the pictures they are actually cutting new holes in the base of the building for windows and possibly doors.

3468022591_048ce7246b.jpg 3468836676_8156e36590.jpg

from cowboyeagle05 at http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showpost...mp;postcount=36

• 2 months later...

Archived