Do Not Swim At East Beach Or Apffel Beach

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me. The last time I went to East Beach (about 6-7 years ago), you couldn't pay me to get in the water :wacko: ...looked like a pool of chocolate milk!

That just killed me. lol

Here is the very short and simple link. It's amazing it wasn't a much longer story? Maybe there will be updates?

Yes, a person would almost have to be half stewed to the gills before getting in to this water. This sea water is really putting the F in Funky.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...e198a4.html?npc

Yeesh! I think we may see a fish with 3 eyes washing up on the shore soon...

I am not an expert by any means, but the bacteria content has a lot to do with conditions and run-off. A coworker of mine went to Galveston and East Beach specifically on Father's Day and said the beach was the cleanest and the water quality the best she had seen it in Galveston.

Water Temperature plays a major role, I also imagine the recent rains after a very dry month might have something to do with the runoff from the Bayous/Rivers.

The only time that the Galvez Bay appeared blue to me was when we were way up about 10 floors in the new hotel (forgot name) and looked out over the balcony.

Yes, for that moment it seemed blue. I was certain they had tinted the windows so visitors would believe the bay was always an aqua blue. Ja!

Maybe they can artificially color the sand a white shade to make us think we are in Cabo or Cozumel? Hee hee. :)

The only time that the Galvez Bay appeared blue to me was when we were way up about 10 floors in the new hotel (forgot name) and looked out over the balcony.

Yes, for that moment it seemed blue. I was certain they had tinted the windows so visitors would believe the bay was always an aqua blue. Ja!

Maybe they can artificially color the sand a white shade to make us think we are in Cabo or Cozumel? Hee hee. :)

It would also be nice if they could build some giant cliffs out of concrete and chicken wire to make it look like California.

In fact, I wish Houston would build some fake mountains...I can't stand going outside and seeing an absolutely flat terrain. Makes me stay inside most of the time...I don't know how anybody enjoys spending time outdoors here.

;)

I am not an expert by any means, but the bacteria content has a lot to do with conditions and run-off. A coworker of mine went to Galveston and East Beach specifically on Father's Day and said the beach was the cleanest and the water quality the best she had seen it in Galveston.

Water Temperature plays a major role, I also imagine the recent rains after a very dry month might have something to do with the runoff from the Bayous/Rivers.

It is my understanding that you are correct, the water quality has a lot to do with runoff into the Gulf from the Mississippi. The bluest I ever saw the water in Galveston was after one of the huge floods upriver.

Ban has been lifted, now everyone can jump into the clear, aqua blue waters of our wondrous Gulf! :lol:

(Just like in those Corona commercials)...and please no thongs unless your a 20-ish runway super-model.

It's really controlled by runoff from the Texas rivers, as opposed to the Mississippi, but I don't feel like getting into this debate again.

You are right...

When I said rivers/bayous I was referring to the local ones (i.e. Trinity, San Jacinto, Buffalo)...

And for what it is worth, it has always been my experience that the bay has a nice blue/green color more often than the Gulf.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this one...I was just remembering my last trip to Surfside Beach, which was 2 weeks ago.

You all would be very pleased to know that the water was very near crystal clear that day. I could stand in neck deep water and still see my feet.

The surf was also nearly glass-smooth. One line of "breakers", about 15 feet off the beach. Definitely lends creedence to the statement that our local beaches' water color is affected by suspended sediment. There was no sediment (or very, very, very little sediment) in the water 2 weeks ago.

Much better than my previous trip to Surfside about 6 weeks ago, where I decided to surf in my kayak for the first time. There were at least 4 lines of breakers and overhead waves. I had fun, but damn it was rough.

• The title was changed to Do Not Swim At East Beach Or Apffel Beach

Archived