Termites and Door Not Closing...

I recently noticed little small insects with wings in my bathtub. I believe these are termites. Soon after, I noticed that my back door doesn't close anymore....or at least, the bolt does not align with the "hole" on the side of the door jam.

I obviously have some foundation issues and termites...could the shifting of my house cause the termites to come out? Ugh.

Not good.

anyone know of a high-quality, reasonably priced termite company? I live in the Heights. I have a 1920's bungalow. wood.

I did get my house sprayed a few years ago (three, I believe) and then they came back to inspect the house for termites. However, they did not go underneath the house and seemed to do just a brief examination of the outskirts house that I did not feel confident in their ability to spot termites if they appeared...and didn't want to pay money for that so I nixed on their offer to come out last year.

And now this.

do you have a leak somewhere near the bathtub by chance? that may be attracting them

as for the door, i'll bet some shifting is going on rather than termites. i know my neighbor's house has been moving considerably where some of her doors no longer open fully.

I'd be willing to bet the extremely dry weather we were having until this week had more to do with your door. The low humidity could have caused the door to shrink, or the dry ground could have shifted, like musicman said. Before this week's rain, my boards were all getting loose.

I recently noticed little small insects with wings in my bathtub. I believe these are termites. Soon after, I noticed that my back door doesn't close anymore....or at least, the bolt does not align with the "hole" on the side of the door jam.

I obviously have some foundation issues and termites...could the shifting of my house cause the termites to come out? Ugh.

Not good.

anyone know of a high-quality, reasonably priced termite company? I live in the Heights. I have a 1920's bungalow. wood.

I did get my house sprayed a few years ago (three, I believe) and then they came back to inspect the house for termites. However, they did not go underneath the house and seemed to do just a brief examination of the outskirts house that I did not feel confident in their ability to spot termites if they appeared...and didn't want to pay money for that so I nixed on their offer to come out last year.

And now this.

Those flying things might be ants. Just this week I was talking to my pest control company, and they said there is a breed of flying ants that look alot like termites.

I used Modern Pest Control for the termite impasse blockers on my new home. They also have done the termite baiting and spraying. I'm moderately satisfied with them.

Eh! Sounds like you need to DEMO the whole thing and build a McMansion. But, like Red and Musicman said, it is probably the weather that caused havoc on your door.

Go with ORKIN for your mites. They guarantee and warranty their work.

you have to tell them before they show up that they need to get under the house...once on sight they will have a million reasons why they cant get under...google dog and termites..the company has trained dogs (very small) and can sniff out active termites..they have a 97 or 98 percent success rate. Then have the underneath sprayed with a chemical that termites wont touch...I think its called Bora...? That will last 40 or 50 yrs. Send PM if you need specifics.

you have to tell them before they show up that they need to get under the house...once on sight they will have a million reasons why they cant get under...google dog and termites..the company has trained dogs (very small) and can sniff out active termites..they have a 97 or 98 percent success rate. Then have the underneath sprayed with a chemical that termites wont touch...I think its called Bora...? That will last 40 or 50 yrs. Send PM if you need specifics.

Greaser I think you are thinking of Boric Acid. Cockroaches aren't too keen about it either.

thanks for the suggestions.

as far as the weather causing my door to not close, should i be worried? is that a sign of some foundation issues? i know one part of my house, the floor has a slight slope so i probably need to get that checked, but this part of the house, it seems okay.

i just worry if i just get the termites (possible ants) dealt with and don't do anything about the door, it will get worse.

I can recommend Farmer's Termite Management Services - they're local to the Heights and we've used them since we moved into the area 9 years ago. Friendly folks, and a family-owned company. And they have no problems with suiting up and getting under the house to conduct an inspection.

They used to be part of Farmer's Pest Control, but I believe they split up into two separate companies a few years ago, with one group of family members taking the termite business and the other the general pest control business.

i just worry if i just get the termites (possible ants) dealt with and don't do anything about the door, it will get worse.

the earth expands and contracts frequently depending on weather. we've been low on rainfall which probably is the cause of your door problem. it's been raining the past week so things may be better.

Greaser I think you are thinking of Boric Acid. Cockroaches aren't too keen about it either.

BORACARE..ck it out..its the best thing out right now. You can buy it out of state without a license.

• 9 years later...

Archived