Albert Sidney Johnston Jr. High School At 1906 Cleburne Ave.

robhan

I have been reading the Booj Houston, The Forgotten City and trying to locate the location for the first campus of ASJ Jr. High which bcame Miller Jr. High.

What is somewhat saddening is these old schools may have existed at one time and were later demolished. The fact that they were name in honor of someone that must have been a contributor to society is forever forgotten or maybe not. As is the case with these you mention. I personally have never heard of these folks.

They must have done something good to deserve to have schools named after them? -_-:)

Albert Sidney Johnston was a Condederat General killed at Shiloh. A newer school bearing his name was built in Southwest Houston. I do not know which Miller the older school was renamed for. but since I can not find a Miller Jr. High or Middle Schol it must have been closded and demolished.

Albert Sidney Johnston was a Condederat General killed at Shiloh. A newer school bearing his name was built in Southwest Houston. I do not know which Miller the older school was renamed for. but since I can not find a Miller Jr. High or Middle Schol it must have been closded and demolished.

There were two posters here on Haif that knew alot about schools, plots, etc Vicman and Isuredid but are they? ? ? :unsure:

What is somewhat saddening is these old schools may have existed at one time and were later demolished. The fact that they were name in honor of someone that must have been a contributor to society is forever forgotten or maybe not. As is the case with these you mention. I personally have never heard of these folks.

They must have done something good to deserve to have schools named after them? -_-:)

See post #17 in this link for info on Albert Sidney Johnston.

My grandfather attended Johnston Middle School at its previous location (Wheeler and Chenevert, I think) which is now the Contemporary learning center.

I don't know if that was the original location, though, and I don't know if it has anything to do with Miller Jr. High.

It is now known as Contemporary Learning Center.

• 11 months later...
It is now known as Contemporary Learning Center.

The original Albert Sydney Johnston Jr. High School is located at Cleburne and Chevenert, right off of 288. My parents went to that school. The old classic building is still there, renamed.

I attended the "new" ASJ off of Chimney Rock in SW Houston in the 70s.

Edited by spiderroller

• 9 years later...

I attended ASJ during segregation.  Later, as the neighbourhood became "black", it was "moved" to Sharpstown.  Old location was recommissioned as a "black" school with a new name.  Same fate as my old elementary school (Sutton).  Not sure, but think there were probably existing legal requirements behind the changes--don't think you could integrate a school even if you wanted to.

Address is 1906 Cleburne Avenue.  Built circa 1925 as Albert Sydney Johnston Junior High (with I believe virtually the same floor plan as Sidney Lanier Junior High and Stonewall Jackson Junior High, probably also built the same time).  Sometime in the 1950's the new "Johnston" was built in the Meyerland/Westbury area, not Sharpstown.  The 1906 Cleburne building was then renamed "William E. Miller Junior High".  I'm not quite sure who he was but for some reason I think he was a black educational person from HISD in those days.  It remained Miller until the early/mid 1970's  The Contemporary Learning Center used it's campus (they set up temporary buildings).  Miller became extinct at or around the 1976-1977 school year when the temporary buildings were now being used for CLC Middle School and the 1906 Cleburne school building became CLC High School.  CLC High used the 1st and 2nd floor while the 3rd floor was for administrative offices called Staff Development.  Around the 1980-1981 school year the middle school moved into the 3rd floor.  About this same time they built a cafeteria on the Chenevert side of the campus.  The old cafeteria was on the 3rd floor.  Sorry if this is too much information but I got carried away.  I attended CLC Middle School for the 1977-78 school year and CLC High School for the 1978-79 school year before returning to traditional high school.

I believe the building is now a college preparatory high school for girls as CLC is now defunct

Edited by EspersonBuildings
added more info

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Derrick said:

All schools named after traders to this country should have never happened and should immediately be renamed ! Hitler , Jackson , Mussolini  , Lee all are in the same category  !

I never knew Johnston was a trader.  Was that before he was a confederate general?

Edited by august948

• The title was changed to Albert Sidney Johnston Jr. High School At 1906 Cleburne Ave.
  • 1 year later...

Never knew there was a base ball field here! Looking on Google Earth and HA I cannot see the formation of a diamond.  However, skipping many decades, I see an outline of a diamond field today.

From the newspaper The Jewish Herald-Voice dated December 15, 1949.

Jewish Community Center Athletic and Social Events

Sports Schedule for the Coming Week
JCC Extension Football
Sunday, December 18, Johnston field (Almeda at Wheeler)

IZL9QY7.jpg

NbNNAOV.jpg

2023:

Tbz1y1u.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

Never knew there was a base ball field here! Looking on Google Earth and HA I cannot see the formation of a diamond.  However, skipping many decades, I see an outline of a diamond field today.

From the newspaper The Jewish Herald-Voice dated December 15, 1949.

Jewish Community Center Athletic and Social Events

Sports Schedule for the Coming Week
JCC Extension Football
Sunday, December 18, Johnston field (Almeda at Wheeler)

IZL9QY7.jpg

NbNNAOV.jpg

2023:

Tbz1y1u.jpg

The baseball field appears relatively new. Note that the events on the listing are all football, which would not have required a baseball diamond.

Fun fact. A friend of my mother grew up in a house on the South side of Wheeler opposite the baseball field, where the townhouses are now. She attended St Agnes which wasn't far away at 3901 Fannin at Truxillo, where the Ventana Apartments are now.

• Like 1