Historic Houston Images

Duce

• 3 weeks later...
If you have photos of these places and/or memorabilia from them, please post.

Shamrock Hotel

Kiddie Wonderland

Peppermint Park

Sea Arama

The Pig

The old baseball stadium where fingers is now (forgot the name)

The Pig, that brings back some memories. Mike, the doorman that used to work out fron was pretty cool.

In regard to pictures, does anyone know where to begin searching for pictures of homes? I am trying to find a pic of the home I grew up in. Built in the 50s and previous owners don't have a clue where to find one either. Would the HCAD have one on file?

Banking214 - I'm new to Houston, so I'm not familiar with these places you've asked for pictures about. Could you take a second and explain what they are/were? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Glen

Actually, not sure if I replied correctly. I was just wondering where I might find a picture of the home I grew up in (long shot, I know). I am sure there has to be a starting place. Someone else posted about trying to find the other mentioned places. I actually have one of Peppermint Park somewhere at my parents house. It was located at 610 North/290 Merge as I recall.

Shamrock Hotel. My grandfather (who was a PR) opened up the Shamrock on opening night with all the greats of their time!! :)

So it kinda has special meaning to me.

"Peppermint place" I only remember an indoor carasouel!

Entrance to Buff Stadium (4000 Harby at Milby):

buffstadiumentrance1928.jpg

Night game at Buff Stadium:

buffstadium1950s.jpg

Overhead view:

buffstadium.jpg

Shamrock Hotel, the most famous building in Houston:

1940sShamrockHotelHouston.jpg

Again:

z35.jpg

Shamrock pool and "lanai":

card14569_fr.jpg

Peppermint Park, that was the indoor amusement park @ 59 and the Beltway right (before the beltway was there).

Man I went there a few times as a kid.  Then it turned into an auto shop.  It is still there, but not what it used to be.

I also went there as a kid. My husband thinks it's just a figmant of my imagination. I am so glad that others remember it. I would love to see photos of it.

I doubt www.hcad.org would be of any help there. After a listing closes, the photos usually disappear from the site pretty quick. If I were you, I might try knocking on some doors in the old 'hood. Some old-timers might be of great help to you, especially if they lived directly across the street from you. When you take pictures of kids in the front yard, you will inevitably end up with shots of other homes in the pictures. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

I also went there as a kid. My husband thinks it's just a figmant of my imagination. I am so glad that others remember it. I would love to see photos of it.

The location at the belway and 59 is actually the 2nd location. When it originally opened it was off 610 North and 290 merge. Think they moved in the early eigties to the beltway location. I still have interior pictures of it. Always remember the birthday parties.

I doubt www.hcad.org would be of any help there. After a listing closes, the photos usually disappear from the site pretty quick. If I were you, I might try knocking on some doors in the old 'hood. Some old-timers might be of great help to you, especially if they lived directly across the street from you. When you take pictures of kids in the front yard, you will inevitably end up with shots of other homes in the pictures. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Thanks for the information. Unfortuantely, most of the old timers moved out and the homes went with them. Out of the 30 homes, only 12 original homes survive. The others have been torn down and the typical McMansion has taken there place.

• 1 month later...
Wasn't Splashtown known as Hanna Barbera Land once upon a time?

Wow, I totally remember Hanna Barbara Land. I have no clue where it was since I was just a kid, but I remember all the commercials.

I also sorta remember Perpermint Palace as well. I thought that was out 45 (not sure if it was north or south, I just remember 45).

Does anyone remember the old restaruant at 6400 Richmond that used to be train cars. I think it was a cheesy steakhouse. What was that place called?

I also remember a Circus themed restuarant on Westhiemer right there by or in the same location at Texadelphia and Papadeax.

Another awesome restuarant that I remember was Bud Bigelow's Steakhouse on Westheimer and Stoney Brook (where Molina's currently is) My parents used to take use there at least once a month.

Anyone else remember those restuarants.

"Another awesome restuarant that I remember was Bud Bigelow's Steakhouse on Westheimer and Stoney Brook (where Molina's currently is) My parents used to take use there at least once a month. " (quote, trophy property)

i cannot remember bud bigelow's but i thought there was a place at that location (molina's) called boston sea party a long time ago. my parents took us there and it was some kind of grand "all you can eat" seafood buffet.

deb martin

In reply to various bits:

Yes, what is now Splashtown was originally opened as Hanna Barbera Land. I never went while it was HB land but they must have had to do some serious remodeling to make it into a water park.

The all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant on Westheimer was Boston Sea Party.

Yes, the train cars were Victorias Station. There was one on South Main which later became Antones.

Anyone remember Pipe Organ Pizza?

Marty

Yes, the train cars were Victorias Station.  There was one on South Main which later became Antones.

Marty

Victoria Station. That is right. The one on Main turned into a Droubis after Antones failed there.

I remember Boston Sea Part and that was in fact where Molinas was. There was resturant called Bud Bigelows in that general area. I will aske my parents. They ought to remember.

Never hear of Pipe Organ Pizza. We used to hit Godfather's next to the Weingarten grocery storey at Westhiemer and Hillcroft.

Don't remember Pipe Organ Pizza, but Village Inn Pizza was a hot spot. It was on Westheimer near Chimney Rock if I recall correctly. They had entertainment, and one of the most popular performers was Dean Scott. He was known for his Wolfman Jack impressions, and that was before anyone knew who the Wolfman was.

Scott also performed often at a popular place on Market Square.

Yes, what is now Splashtown was originally opened as Hanna Barbera Land.  I never went while it was HB land but they must have had to do some serious remodeling to make it into a water park.

Yes, the train cars were Victorias Station.  There was one on South Main which later became Antones.

Marty

:) Yes, I haven't thought of that place in years.......

my elementary class used to go there..........when i was, i think, in about 3rd-4th grade........i remember, they played the Star Wars theme all the time......

What about Peppermint Park?

m.

Thanks for the information. Unfortuantely, most of the old timers moved out and the homes went with them. Out of the 30 homes, only 12 original homes survive. The others have been torn down and the typical McMansion has taken there place.

If you can track down old owners of the house, they might have some. The only other source might be old ads from when the house was new on film at the library.

What about Peppermint Park?

it was off of south man....i'm thinking near braeswood. it was on the right as you headed south. i remember there was a horse track that had multiple circles each inside the other. in each circle there was a horse. the further out you went the faster the horses went. there were also a lot of various rides. it stayed open a long time...at least into the 80's maybe early 90's but by then it was run down.

it was off of south man....i'm thinking near braeswood or kirby.  it was on the right as you headed south.  i remember there was a horse track that had multiple circles each inside the other.  in each circle there was a horse.  the further out you went the faster the horses went.  there were also a lot of various rides.  it stayed open a long time...at least into the 80's maybe early 90's but by then it was run down.

oops my bad, this is kiddie wonderland, not peppermint park.

My mom and dad just reminded me that the orginal peppermint park was at 610 and 45s (across from the old Carrousel Hotel) at Reivelle. It then moved to the southwest side somewhere. This is where i remember it at. I did find a 1959 reference about a mouse ride at the park.

This link also came up about playland park...some of which sounds like kiddie wonderland.

http://www.playle.com/phorum/read.php?f=6&i=44&t=15

Here's one good posting from there (but i'm thinking this is Kiddie wonderland when the ponies are mentioned)

From the other forum.......No, I believe that one was Peppermint Park on the Northeast corner of Main and Kirby.

I took some pictures of Peppermint Park a couple of years ago after hearing it would be closing the following day. The parks main features were live pony rides (which were actually just miniature ponys on a circular walk). It was run by a rumpled old guy with missing teeth who smelled of tobacco. There were also multicolored 40s/50s pedal cars on a driving track (not bumper cars); little row boats connected like spokes of a wheel under shallow, dyed blue water; and of course a fancy Merry-Go-Round with individually-decorated horses and a double swan love seat.

I also went by after it closed and all that was left was a field of decaying rubble, several of the little pedal cars rusting away due to exposure, and at least one of the row boats rotting in the sun. Considering how collectable these are and how very close to the street they were, I found it surprising no one had tried to save them. I took a few pictures of each then scurried away as I had attracted the attention of some vagrants who had already made it their "home".

Playland Park, a much bigger amusement park, was on the East side of South Main when Main was a sparsely developed boulevard and rather rural in feel. The park was on a large plot of land with fields on each side and in back. Its neighbors along Main were a few motels with great neon signs, a favorite one the head of an Indian. The entrance to Playland had big towers with multicolor neon bars around the top. My sisters and I thought from a distance that they looked much like brightly-colored toothbrushes guarding the entrance.

Playland also had a stock car racetrack next to it where A.J. Foyt started racing. When riding the wooden roller coaster in the park you could sometimes hear the race cars roaring by. The park also had at least one of the, now collectable, "Fortune Teller Machines" with a life-sized, motorized gypsy fortune teller that seemed very lifelike. It had one of those "Test Your Strength" with a sledge hammer machines with a big bell at the top. Another memorable feature was the "Hall of Mirrors" fun house which was a maze of regular and wavy (convex/concave) mirrors mixed among the openings. It was very easy to get lost in there for a long, long time. The other features me and my sisters were not allowed to go into so I don't have a good grasp of what they were. I do recall the park had a building with a circus like barker urging park visitors to come inside and see some sort of amazing person. And it had a typical row wooden booths with various games-of-skill and large sawdust-filled stuffed animal prizes on display.

To my knowledge no postcards were ever made that pictured Playland Park because, I have been told, the owner strictly refused to allow any authorized photographs to be taken of the park.

Hey anyone remember the old Carrousel Hotel at Reveille and 610?

I don't remember the Carrousel, but I do have an old postcard of it. Great mid-century period architecture. The office/restaurant pavillion had one of those googie-type zig-zag roofs. The Carrousel was known for being the defendent in an important civil rights lawsuit in the 1960s. All that's left are the foundations.