METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

Thanks for the updates Ricco. 

A couple of things to say though.  Firstly, I still don't have a clue why they chose to embed those tracks in concrete in the middle of the road.  This will only confuse drivers and encourage them to drive on the tracks to illegally cross them.  I feel like they'd cut down on accidents a lot if they weren't embedded on concrete. 

Second, I wonder how fast they are going to construct that underpass.  They sure are taking their time on starting that. 

Thanks for the updates Ricco.

A couple of things to say though. Firstly, I still don't have a clue why they chose to embed those tracks in concrete in the middle of the road. This will only confuse drivers and encourage them to drive on the tracks to illegally cross them. I feel like they'd cut down on accidents a lot if they weren't embedded on concrete.

Second, I wonder how fast they are going to construct that underpass. They sure are taking their time on starting that.

Agreed. Just makes me so angry bob Lanier threw away the monorail plan

I was at Houston, intersection of Capitol and Main, and saw there were rails embedded in the ground crossing the existing tracks. The problem was, it didn't seem to be connected to anything! While there was construction zones nearby, I don't believe the road at Capitol was disturbed at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found these images of the Hughes Underpass.

hughes_underpass.png

Capture.JPG

More images in this pdf.

http://www.gometrorail.org/external/content/document/2491/1511583/1/East%20End%20CAB%20-%20Hughes%20Underpass%20Presentation%208.7.12.pdf

I was wondering what it would look like. I wonder when they will start excavation.

Nice find! The PDF says all of 2013 is for final design phase. Looks like construction will take 2 years (2014-15).

So since the Hughes Underpass won't be ready when the rest of the line completes construction next year, what is the plan? Run the light rail service all the way to the Altic/Howard Highes Station, then transfer all the passengers to bus to continue on down Harrisburg to the Magnolia Park Transit Center? Or something else?

• 1 month later...

This phase of construction is making picking a weekend to film the newest progress on the line challenging. 

For the past several weekends, they have been shutting down the Main street intersections. 

Do you guys think I should just suck it up and do it on a weekday, wait for rainy weekend, or pray they will finish it at the end of July?

• 2 weeks later...

Well that might not be the final configuration.

The weather only annoyed me to the extent of it interfering with the focusing. When the same thing happened to my camera, it was really apparent. Not so much on my corder.

thx for the footage Ricco! I drive much of that stretch a couple of times a week. This past weekend I biked the downtown parts. Until I got distracted over at the GRB and put my front wheel in the rail track groove (appx. 3:30). Bike is still in the shop :(     new scabs all over left leg and arm made a good impression at my job interview today, surely.

Tidbit to note: the Moontower guys' new bar in the works is allegedly just left  across the track at Milby (6:56) past the El Charro. For those of you who come to the next houseparty at Casa de Crunch, right turn at 8:17. Anyone who went to Niche's warehouse space to party a couple of years back, that was left and over 3 blocks at 8:59.

For those interested, one of my neighbors has their place up for sale in the 4600 block of Walker. Small lot, basic bungalow, garage apt in back, appx 275 ask. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Can someone please update me on the Underpass situation/Harrisburg? Ridiculo that the line is close to done before and after the underpass. No work started so 2016 before the two sides are connected?

I rode my bike down Harrisburg the other day and couldn't believe nothing has been started. Also, after being in Europe for the month of December - our street grade light rail is so slow and inefficient versus some of the high speed subways and heavy rail. Not trying to be that guy but it's hard to compare.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one that thinks this light rail looks out of place? For some reason it just doesn't seem right. And it looks a mess with all those powerlines and cords hanging above the light rail. But what can you say? They tried? I'm sorry its just not working for me. I think a street car line would have been much better for these VERY non urban areas. The money should have been spent on a subway line from downtown to the galleria and to the big airport. Just my opinion. Please post videos of a similar light rail line that goes through areas like this in other cities I would like to see.

• Like 2

Am I the only one that thinks this light rail looks out of place? For some reason it just doesn't seem right. And it looks a mess with all those powerlines and cords hanging above the light rail. But what can you say? They tried? I'm sorry its just not working for me. I think a street car line would have been much better for these VERY non urban areas. The money should have been spent on a subway line from downtown to the galleria and to the big airport. Just my opinion. Please post videos of a similar light rail line that goes through areas like this in other cities I would like to see.

About as out of place as parts of the north line.. I like the light rail between dynamo stadium and the theater district (eventually going west serving the memorial area), but agree the parts of the east end past dynamo stadium could of been streetcars linked into that east end streetcar system they were planning..

And I agree the money would of been better spent linking uptown and downtown.. A subway line would be amazing, and might not be as far fetched as we think. They are talking about tunneling a memorial dr light rail line through memorial park, so we would at least have a partial subway from downtown to uptown..