METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

I just don't understand why they couldn't figure all this out BEFORE they started construction. It makes no sense to start construction on something without even knowing what the final plan is. It just ends up costing more in the long run when you change plans mid-construction.

Oh well, they'll build it eventually. Personally, I believe that the "under" would be more aesthetically pleasing, but I disagree with changing plans during construction, so for now I wish they would just build the damn bridge.

Looks like you've been keeping up with developments on this issue from the beginning.

Could you please cite some examples to back up your statement?

Which part of the statement? Some of what I said was conveyed by someone I know on the inside, so take whatever amount of salt you want.

I just don't understand why they couldn't figure all this out BEFORE they started construction. It makes no sense to start construction on something without even knowing what the final plan is. It just ends up costing more in the long run when you change plans mid-construction.

Oh well, they'll build it eventually. Personally, I believe that the "under" would be more aesthetically pleasing, but I disagree with changing plans during construction, so for now I wish they would just build the damn bridge.

That is what drove me a little crazy, turns out the local "community activists" have been whining about this since the get go. To be fair, part of this is Metro's fault for not elaborating what its intentions were and then succumbing to community leaders who have no idea what infrastructure entails.

What does "all under" the bridge mean? Sorry, I'm confused by what plans you are referring to. Where is the location of the bridge?

"All under" refers to ALL traffic going under the rail road tracks, to top it off, the railroad "suggests" a type of tunneling technique that will blow up the cost of the construction and time of construction because they want Zero downtime.

Yes, I've been following this line fairly closely because I want to move into the area.

as to the location question, I'm a bit confused on that myself, but I believe it is where the train tracks cross Harrisburg near Wayside? That's the only place on Harrisburg that doesn't already have an underpass, or overpass for crossing rail lines.

Over or under, there isn't much there to kill currently.

I WANT PB&J's every day, but unless I want to walk around like Jabba the Hutt, it is not a good idea.

If you are a lover of the PB&J, may I suggest adding BaconBits, and then garlic-onion croutons if you're feeling really adventurous.

It works best with Raspberry preserves.... HEAVEN !!!!

as to the location question, I'm a bit confused on that myself, but I believe it is where the train tracks cross Harrisburg near Wayside? That's the only place on Harrisburg that doesn't already have an underpass, or overpass for crossing rail lines.

Over or under, there isn't much there to kill currently.

You're correct that location is over by Wayside. Found out recently that they're going to go under the tracks between Delano and Dowling streets. That irritates me, as I thought a Rail bridge would have awesome views of downtown, but whatever.

I agree, but there is a dollar store, a small strip mall, and a couple of other small businesses that would take a massive hit. Not a big loss, but would be devastating if *I* was the owner of that shop.

You're correct that location is over by Wayside. Found out recently that they're going to go under the tracks between Delano and Dowling streets.

Awesome.

I agree, but there is a dollar store, a small strip mall, and a couple of other small businesses that would take a massive hit. Not a big loss, but would be devastating if *I* was the owner of that shop.

Within 1 mile of this location there are 18 dollar stores, 6 strip malls, 11 bus stations, 3 WIC stores, 22 game rooms, and 9 check cashing places. perhaps the business owners would feel a slight downtick in their sales... but the locals will likely not even notice.

Edited by LTAWACS

You're correct that location is over by Wayside. Found out recently that they're going to go under the tracks between Delano and Dowling streets. That irritates me, as I thought a Rail bridge would have awesome views of downtown, but whatever.

Those shops are over there right now, but as the area improves it would be nice to have a habitable place for future businesses. My understanding is that this is the main issue--creation of a psychological dead zone.

I was actually never opposed to having the light rail line (alone) go over the train tracks, and in fact like the idea of having rail completely elevated (stops and all) in some areas where auto traffic is dense. A single elevated line in that particular area would be minimally intrusive, unlike a massive bridge where ALL traffic goes over the line (the worst option). Other cities with elevated light rail seem to handle it just fine. However, while I'm not a community activist by any means, I think that the all under, if drained properly, will be more pleasing with the added benefit of giving auto traffic a continous flow regardless of the train. As those of us in the area know, trains stop on the tracks, or go so slow as to effectively be stopped, and this will fix that. I also think that the area "activists" also needed to flex their collective muscle and show that the area deserves better than the cheapest option. After the neglect the east end has seen, sometimes what gets people worked up isn't always what outsiders find rational.

I'm not sure why the delay of the final line of a year gets anyone worked up, either. Rome wasn't built in a day. let's not let our impatience get the better of us.

• Like 3

Within 1 mile of this location there are 18 dollar stores, 6 strip malls, 11 bus stations, 3 WIC stores, 22 game rooms, and 9 check cashing places. perhaps the business owners would feel a slight downtick in their sales... but the locals will likely not even notice.

but its those bus stations that are going to benefit in the long run from the light rail.

Those shops are over there right now, but as the area improves it would be nice to have a habitable place for future businesses. My understanding is that this is the main issue--creation of a psychological dead zone.

I was actually never opposed to having the light rail line (alone) go over the train tracks, and in fact like the idea of having rail completely elevated (stops and all) in some areas where auto traffic is dense. A single elevated line in that particular area would be minimally intrusive, unlike a massive bridge where ALL traffic goes over the line (the worst option). Other cities with elevated light rail seem to handle it just fine. However, while I'm not a community activist by any means, I think that the all under, if drained properly, will be more pleasing with the added benefit of giving auto traffic a continous flow regardless of the train. As those of us in the area know, trains stop on the tracks, or go so slow as to effectively be stopped, and this will fix that. I also think that the area "activists" also needed to flex their collective muscle and show that the area deserves better than the cheapest option. After the neglect the east end has seen, sometimes what gets people worked up isn't always what outsiders find rational.

I'm not sure why the delay of the final line of a year gets anyone worked up, either. Rome wasn't built in a day. let's not let our impatience get the better of us.

I agree, I'd be down with just the track being elevated, could offer some interesting architectural stuff to go on, maybe some landscaped features hanging, or something. IDK. This would certainly be the cheapest, cost wise, of the options.

People from around the city can just hop on (or off) the buses to at least meet their rides halfway home. the bus terminals won't be as crowded with cars of people picking/dropping them off.

Unless there is a currency exchange inside or the metro signs are in spanish... i seriously doubt this.

Cool video, thanks for posting it! So when are they going to start laying tracks?

I didn't spot it while making the video, but apparently they are welding tracks together over by Wayside and Harrisburg.

I'd love to see some metal thieves TRY to make out with that stuff.

Where will it terminate on the western side. It would make sense (to me) to later extend the line along Washington.

At the beginning of the video, you will see some trucks where Rusk and Capital merge, to my knowledge, THAT is where it is going to end.

At the beginning of the video, you will see some trucks where Rusk and Capital merge, to my knowledge, THAT is where it is going to end.

That make sense, since westbound will travel on Capitol and eastbound on Rusk - right?

Rode the bike down Harrisburg this evening, it appears they have started digging in the middle of the road for where the track will be. Nice to see things coming together!

Enjoyed watching the vid btw.

Thanks, it was fun. Kinda' debating on other projects. So if you (or others) watch the vid, please hit the "like" button. :)

Anyway...

just received this email about the east line:

The city of Houston has concluded there is “strong sentiment” within the East End community for an underpass at Harrisburg/Hughes St. and has requested METRO’s Board of Directors vote in support of a plan to create a grade separated betterment for light rail and vehicular traffic. This “All-Under Option,” according to Houston Mayor Annise Parker, is intended to “promote pedestrian and vehicular safety in the area and encourage community development, and enhance overall mobility in the East End.” The city has committed $20.6 million in financial support for the project.

Although the underpass route is influenced by numerous considerations, the decision of whether or not to support the request will ultimately rest with the METRO Board of Directors. METRO Chairman, Gilbert Garcia, hopes to bring the complex matter up for vote by the directors this Thursday.

“We appreciate Mayor Parker’s efforts to build consensus in this lingering community debate. I congratulate the Mayor, Council members, Ed Gonzalez, James Rodriguez, and Melissa Noriega, as well as community representatives, the Mayor’s staff and METRO’s staff for working together on this issue.” said Garcia.

METRO President & CEO George Greanias said the “all under option” will take longer to build, possibly two years longer, and the extra cost of $20-23 million does not cover a pedestrian tunnel. “Despite the hurdles ahead, this request is a good example of community partnerships. We look forward to working with the city in seeing this project to completion.” said Greanias.

Of the $20.6 million in financial assistance being offered by the city:

• $10.0 million - CIP funds previously committed to this issue
  • $4.9 million - Postponement of the Fulton Paving and Drainage Project (Dist. H)
  • $3.2 million - Postponement of the Telephone Road Reconstruction (Dist. I)
  • $2.5 million - Harrisburg TIRZ funds

It's not a subway.. it's an underpass.. Same thing we have all over the city.

And reading chron comment after chron comment about flood potential.. that constant level of buffoonery makes me so furious i wanna go start punting kittens.

The typical Chron comments...

Yeah, the liberal AND the conservative whiners make me want to slit throats.

I still hoped for just the base only option, but I'm willing to bet in a few years after it is finished they will regret the option they picked..

Yeah, the liberal AND the conservative whiners make me want to slit throats.

I still hoped for just the base only option, but I'm willing to bet in a few years after it is finished they will regret the option they picked..

The auto traffic no longer being held hostage to the train sitting on the tracks? Unless they can't get the drainage right, very few residents will regret it. I wish my nearest rail crossing was grade-separated!

The auto traffic no longer being held hostage to the train sitting on the tracks? Unless they can't get the drainage right, very few residents will regret it. I wish my nearest rail crossing was grade-separated!

Bet you a beer that within two years of completion there will be people whining about the poor design.