METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

Will the sidewalks upgrade be done at the same time as the light rail construction? Or is it another one of those "long term projects"?

I don't know the answer to that. One would think that at least Harrisburg Road would be done all at once.

Check the City Planning website. Look for documents discussing the "Urban Corridors" study.

LOL... this has been a very interesting conversation...

Different strokes for different folks. I don't live on or near the Red Line, but I will live near the Brown Line, and will probably use it quite frequently.

My day job is at UofH, and I live about 2.3 miles from there (if you're taking the most direct route). However, my preferred method of commute is by bike so my trip is normally 3 miles... b/c I don't feel like getting mangled up by cars when I use the Lockwood underpass, so I bike up to Cullen, and cross the freeway there. It is not the most efficient route in terms of time, but it does help me burn some extra calories.

Outside of the day job, I also work for the Houston Grand Opera in downtown, and I sing for a very prominent church in the museum district. These are both great ways that I take advantage of the Red Line. All things considered, I think it is one of the best and most efficient transit projects of the 21st century in the US. Why??? B/c Houstonians use it. The Red Line links downtown, the museum district, the TMC, and Reliant Park. So whether people are just using it as a people mover, or for more "sincere transit needs" the line still makes money and has a purpose. IMO same thing for the Brown Line. The East End will have another transit option (yes I know I'm ALWAYS talking about options) that links us to Downtown, the museum district, the TMC and Reliant. Due to several factors (demographic trends for the East End, ridership on the 50 Harrisburg route, etc.) I have no doubt that the line will be used.

I of course own a car, and I make "decent money" (however one defines that), but I love the feeling and ability to not be a slave to my car, and not contributing as much to my carbon footprint. The less that I drive frees up one more space for those that HAVE to drive everywhere, which helps all of Houston.

Houston is now a 21st century city. The inner loop is larger than it's ever been, and people are willing to explore more ways of getting around than just their cars. It takes a little sacrifice, but I'm gladly willing to make it to help our city.

• 6 months later...

I noticed something new.. i think.. on one of Metro's solution's maps today.

The East End corridor map that came out last month update shows it merging with not only the SE corridor, but also the Red line.

I think this is the first time Metro has indicated on a map the possibility of a switch between perpendicular tracks at this junction.... or at wherever the proposed downtown junction would be.

This intersection is at Capitol and Main... the mostly vacant block, home to Texas tower and formerly a mcdonalds.

I guess Metro will be getting their eminent domain on a corner of that block.

Also according to the update: demolition has begun on 4 properties and utility relocation work has begun

gallery_1072_87_219414.jpg

Edited by Highway6

I was in the area last night and I decided to drive a portion of the route from Lockwood to scott and I couldn't see any signs of ongoing construction except for utility work and a little widening.

Since when was there a CVS at Harrisburg and Lockwood? I had to do a double-take when I spotted it.

Since when was there a CVS at Harrisburg and Lockwood? I had to do a double-take when I spotted it.

It's been open for three months or thereabouts. The one next to that awful Kroger on Polk is now closed. All of us in who live in the area are hoping that a new, really good grocery store will be built on that vacant parcel adjacent to the new CVS.

I was in the area last night and I decided to drive a portion of the route from Lockwood to scott and I couldn't see any signs of ongoing construction except for utility work and a little widening.

The Grand Opening Event was held amid much fanfare a few months ago. It's only been robbed once since it open so the good news is that the shrinkage is less there than one in gulfton. However, they usually are out of my particular meds. So after being pestered by the bums for change, I have to drive all the way to the HEB on woodridge or on westheimer for my m3ds. Ugh.

Also, more good news is that people will be able to take the brown line to this CVS.

• 8 months later...

Here are pics I took yesterday:

P1000744.jpg

Heading down west along capital, the rail is supposed to take the south side of this street. It had been awhile since I have seen the PDF's, so I thought it would be on the north side for some reason, so I shot accordingly.

P1000745.jpg

P1000746.jpg

The garage entrance is where you see that white car leaving. It's going to be curious as to how this entry and exit out will occur.

P1000748.jpg

This is the future site of the "Smith Station", as you see it'll go up against the Fed Courthouse parking.

P1000749.jpg

The corner of Bagby, Rusk, and Capital. I wasn't entirely sure where it would go or how far, so I turned back at this point.

P1000750.jpg

P1000751.jpg

The tracks are going to be on the south side of the street.

P1000752.jpg

One of the garages that will have to deal with the construction as well the the track afterward.

P1000753.jpg

P1000754.jpg

P1000758.jpg

P1000759.jpg

P1000760.jpg

P1000761.jpg

P1000762.jpg

this is at the 1100 Rusk. The station is supposed to be located on this block, but I don't see how it's going to be done because part of the station might block the entry of this garage and I think the only entrance to this surface lot. The garage has an additional entrance and exit on the San Jacinto side, so it should still stay operational. I would imagine the same thing would happen to the surface lot which is in heavy use by Club Quarters.

P1000763.jpg

P1000767.jpg

P1000768.jpg

P1000772.jpg

P1000773.jpg

P1000774.jpg

This is the site of the crawford station. Since it's just a simply surface lot, it shouldn't be a bit deal.

P1000777.jpg

Again, I haven't seen the PDF in awhile, but I know that the track starts to curve near here towards Texas.

P1000781.jpg

P1000782.jpg

P1000783.jpg

P1000784.jpg

P1000785.jpg

P1000786.jpg

I'm assuming this is part of the utility work they're doing. On capital, the tracks are supposed to turn approximately where that third backhoe from the right is.

P1000787.jpg

P1000788.jpg

I believe the route should take out this wall and come down this general direction for West bound track.

P1000790.jpg

Here is the current view of Texas where the tracks will converge and head down Texas.

• Like 4

Regarding how far west the tracks will go, last I heard trains will turn back on a new bridge over Buffalo Bayou.

After looking at the PDF file I downloaded, it appears that it will go under the current roadway/bridge that eventually turns into Memorial.

Cool, thanks. These will be interesting to look back on in a few years after construction is completed.

Absolutely. There are places in Houston that I've known intimately for years, yet once they've been demolished and the site rebuilt, I'm hard pressed to remember what once was there. These pictures will probably solve some future arguments - thanks, Ricco.

• 2 months later...

Had a little extra time to kill today, so I took a number of photos of this and the south east line.

These are heading West from the Transit center alternating between east and west views. Hopefully it won't disorient you.

Additionally, I picked up some news:

Metro is leaning towards going with a LRT only overpass, and they are undecided on what to do at the rail tunnel at Dowling. They are pondering going over or under depending on what's cheaper. Personally, I hope they go over. The view would be awesome.

100.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

This photo shows how much they plan on widening the street.

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

Note the new payment. Lord knows this street needed it pretty badly.

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

Additionally, I picked up some news:

Metro is leaning towards going with a LRT only overpass, and they are undecided on what to do at the rail tunnel at Dowling. They are pondering going over or under depending on what's cheaper. Personally, I hope they go over. The view would be awesome.

Thanks for the photos..

Are you talking 2 different places here?

LRT only overpass - is this over the tracks between Altic and Wayside .... I thought this was the only place needing an overpass, I'm glad to see they are so far sticking with it.

I'm not following what you are saying about Dowling. Harrisburg already goes under the tracks. Why wouldnt the rail follow suit?

Thanks for the photos..

Are you talking 2 different places here?

LRT only overpass - is this over the tracks between Altic and Wayside .... I thought this was the only place needing an overpass, I'm glad to see they are so far sticking with it.

I'm not following what you are saying about Dowling. Harrisburg already goes under the tracks. Why wouldnt the rail follow suit?

The tracks we're talking about is the one over by the old Hughes place (future train barn). The bad thing about it is if they build the LRT only bridge, Metro is going to have to foot the whole bill.

The options for the crossing over the Dowling rail is obviously over or under. The problem is that if they go under, they have to dig deeper because the cars won't fit. Going over is another option, but it will depend on what is "cheaper."

It is my wish that they go over, because it'll look cool from the train going into DT.

• 6 months later...

I was driving on the east line route and remembered a HAIF topic that was brought up. The matter of Mexican bus lines came up and thought I'd show how numerous they actually were.

P1000147.jpg

P1000145.jpg

P1000142.jpg

P1000140.jpg

P1000139.jpg

P1000138.jpg

P1000137.jpg

All of these are located within 5 blocks of the end of the line and I'm sure there are others that I don't know about off this street.

Kinda' makes me wonder if any of those are going to migrate towards Harrisburg once the line is completed. If so, that would be a major plus for those businesses.

• Like 1

Several more in this part of town... a couple of rather large ones down Telephone Road. It's a booming business to say the least.

That old service station at Telephone and Dumble does the business as a bus depot. Gotta watch for peds when one is arriving and departing, because everyone queues up at the tacgueria across the street.

That old service station at Telephone and Dumble does the business as a bus depot. Gotta watch for peds when one is arriving and departing, because everyone queues up at the tacgueria across the street.

actually, the bus picks up and drops off from the tacqueria parking lot.

the service station seems to just be where they service the buses (wash, etc), and I guess purchase tickets.

• 2 months later...

Working my way west, there really isn't much to tell from this area..but you can tell that the construction is progressing from here.

th_P1010397.jpg

This is the intersection of Wayside @ Harrisburg. I can hardly wait to see how it will look like.

th_P1010398.jpg

th_P1010399.jpg

th_P1010400.jpg

This particular photo was taken by the observatory looking building. If you look at the previous pictures, much hasn't changed, but it has been apparent they already worked on utilities.

th_P1010401.jpg

th_P1010402.jpg

Still no sign of work on the elevated portion.

th_P1010403.jpg

but again, you can see that they did work in this area.

th_P1010404.jpg

th_P1010406.jpg

th_P1010408.jpg

th_P1010409.jpg

This was taken on Lenox in front of that convenience store, with almost the exact same shots from last time. You can tell quite a bit has been done.

th_P1010410.jpg

th_P1010411.jpg

I wonder what will eventually happen to that home.

th_P1010412.jpg

th_P1010413.jpg

th_P1010414.jpg

th_P1010415.jpg

th_P1010416.jpg

Lockwood intersection, I figure it might be finished in a few months as far as new pavement.

th_P1010417.jpg

th_P1010419.jpg

th_P1010420.jpg

th_P1010421.jpg

th_P1010422.jpg

th_P1010423.jpg

th_P1010424.jpg

th_P1010425.jpg

th_P1010426.jpg

Further down, almost nothing seems to have been done.

th_P1010427.jpg

Now the question is: Are they going elevated or below... you can see what awesome view they would have with elevated.

th_P1010428.jpg

th_P1010429.jpg

End of line (sorta), but the beginning of the stadium.

th_P1010430.jpg

Didn't get into downtown because little has changed and most of the utility work has been finished.

Edited by ricco67

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just heard from my little birdie as far as the East line bridge.

It seems like they are leaning towards "All under". The result of this decision will be:

1: Delaying of the COMPLETE line for one year.

2: Funds for 3 city projects in the north side of town will be postponed until additional funds can be done.

3: At least one metro upgrade will be pushed back a couple of years.

I'm about to write to Metro to ask them for some sense and go forward with the BASE version of the project (rail only bridge). I'm hoping anyone else that lives in that part of town would do the same.

• Like 1

Just heard from my little birdie as far as the East line bridge.

It seems like they are leaning towards "All under". The result of this decision will be:

1: Delaying of the COMPLETE line for one year.

2: Funds for 3 city projects in the north side of town will be postponed until additional funds can be done.

3: At least one metro upgrade will be pushed back a couple of years.

I'm about to write to Metro to ask them for some sense and go forward with the BASE version of the project (rail only bridge). I'm hoping anyone else that lives in that part of town would do the same.

I believe "all under" is exactly what people in the area want. I'm confused why you think people in the area would now go for the base version.

I believe "all under" is exactly what people in the area want. I'm confused why you think people in the area would now go for the base version.

Just because it is something they want, doesn't mean it is the most logical thing.

I WANT PB&J's every day, but unless I want to walk around like Jabba the Hutt, it is not a good idea.

People whined about how the overpass would kill the area, the all under will do the same thing, but just more expensively.

Edited by ricco67
  • Like 2