METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

Construction starts tomorrow! B)

HOUSTON -- The new phase of MetroRail for the historic East End of Houston begins with the placement of barriers on the intersection of Harrisburg and Milby.

On Monday, workers surveyed the area where traffic barrels and cones will be placed so drivers would avoid the construction zone. The intersection is expected to be blocked starting on Wednesday.

Construction equipment will be put in place beginning Wednesday after the morning traffic rush ends.

I have not been able to find anything that provides information about the construction plans or an artist's rendering of the East end line.

I was looking at the survey markings yesterday, and it appears that they will be widening the equivilant of 2 lanes (20 ft) c to the north. That seems about right since I understand 2 rails will be added and 4 lanes of traffic will remain.

Assuming Metro had to purchase the entire lot (100 foot deep), I wonder what the plans for the remaing 80 feet are.

What did Metro do on the red line?

Oh Good lord!

They just announced a teaser on Ch. 13 (KTRK) about the east line changing!

i think the were actually talking the university line cause they mentioned that there was a closed (i believe) meeting last night and that alternatives to wheeler were discussed.

Edited by musicman

i think the were actually talking the university line cause they mentioned that there was a closed (i believe) meeting last night and that alternatives to wheeler were discussed.

Where else could they possibly run it? Elgin? Keep it on Wheeler and turn it north on Cullen?

Well, this at least shows that Metro caves in to all races and social statuses. The line makes the most sense going down Wheeler to Ennis. In fact, at one point it went straight through TSU and on down Wheeler to UH and then to the Eastwood TC. TSU objected to a rail ine going through the middle of campus (though there was one there for almost 40 years of it's existence) so they moved a portion onto Alabama, but at least it still ran by the school. Now, it's going to miss TSU entirely.

Alabama runs straight into the UH campus. Color me confused.

I suppose they could condemn the corner lot at Alabama/Scott and run Metrorail through there.

UH has a completely different attitude about the rail line. The University has mandated it as part of our Master Plan, wherever Metro decides to place it. TSU should try and be more flexible.

UH has a completely different attitude about the rail line. The University has mandated it as part of our Master Plan, wherever Metro decides to place it. TSU should try and be more flexible.

I thought the University doesn't want the U-Line to dead-end in the stadium parking lot. They should run the line along the north side of campus on Elgin.

I thought the University doesn't want the U-Line to dead-end in the stadium parking lot. They should run the line along the north side of campus on Elgin.

According to Metrosolution's website, UH will be served by TWO lines (Southeast, and U-line). The U-line is eventually going to continue to the Elgin transit center.

According to Metrosolution's website, UH will be served by TWO lines (Southeast, and U-line). The U-line is eventually going to continue to the Elgin transit center.

I get the feeling that dotted segment showing a left turn onto Scott stands for "we don't know how the hell to do that."

Anyhow, apparently Phase 3 development calls for the East End line to curve south from Magnolia TC and meeting the Southeast Line at Palm Center.

I get the feeling that dotted segment showing a left turn onto Scott stands for "we don't know how the hell to do that."

Anyhow, apparently Phase 3 development calls for the East End line to curve south from Magnolia TC and meeting the Southeast Line at Palm Center.

Or to show that it will share track with the Southeast Line.

How is METRO, a company that doesn't believe in subway or above ground rail, going to deal with line intersections? Don't tell me all intersections will cross each other at the same level? I remember hearing about this in the past. Something about METRO planing to have the first same level crossing urban rail in the world. This would not be something to brag about.

How is METRO, a company that doesn't believe in subway or above ground rail, going to deal with line intersections? Don't tell me all intersections will cross each other at the same level? I remember hearing about this in the past. Something about METRO planing to have the first same level crossing urban rail in the world. This would not be something to brag about.

I don't think that they don't BELIEVE in below or elevated rail, it has to do with the cost/benefit ratio for funds. Houston hasn't been proven (so to speak) that a rail system would get enough ridership to justify the cost. Now in a few years (like maybe 10-20), there is so much congestion because of high ridership numbers, then the issue might be revisited.

You also have to remember, we have a couple of politicians that are (were?) very against our having rail to begin with. Why give them ammunition as far as an exceedingly large cost?

Never stop amazing me.

:rolleyes: