METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

Cool, we can really get creative with this. Maybe photos from each photographer could have a different theme of some sort, I don't know. But it might be boring if everyone takes pictures of the same things the same way...

Well, we could pair down the pics from the dupes and keep the best ones and have them listed by address.

Well, we could pair down the pics from the dupes and keep the best ones and have them listed by address.

I guess we'll figure it out as we go along. I might get started tomorrow if plans work out. Have they started demolishing their eminent domain properties already? If we could get a list of what those are, maybe we should try and get to those first.

I guess we'll figure it out as we go along. I might get started tomorrow if plans work out. Have they started demolishing their eminent domain properties already? If we could get a list of what those are, maybe we should try and get to those first.

Not to my knowledge, but they're going to start over by Lockwood, FYI.

Mods: Can you break off this convo? Maybe "The HAIF Brown Line Photo Project" or something?

Serious question: How do they notify the owner that its curtains for thier business or home? Has anyone ever seen actual documents to "vacate" within a given time frame?

Another serious addition. I am willing to use an elevated setup up or crane to snap pics as it progresses. Ground level is fine but a bird's eye view is "elevates" interest! Think of it as a historical endeavor.

PS, there are a few turn of the century homes near or at the edge of all of this, hope they are saved??? Just see pics under East End - Harrisburg development. Save these homes, move them anything. :(

Serious question: How do they notify the owner that its curtains for thier business or home? Has anyone ever seen actual documents to "vacate" within a given time frame?

Another serious addition. I am willing to use an elevated setup up or crane to snap pics as it progresses. Ground level is fine but a bird's eye view is "elevates" interest! Think of it as a historical endeavor.

PS, there are a few turn of the century homes near or at the edge of all of this, hope they are saved??? Just see pics under East End - Harrisburg development. Save these homes, move them anything. :(

Crane??

Crane??

Well something that would raise up the photographer high enough to catch all of the action in one shot.

Standing on a truck bed won't do. Just a thought. I thought of getting on top of nearby buildings but need permission. I bet that homeowners would love to offer their front porches (unless they are getting the boot). Might start shooting at everyone!

That Worksource place is new so does that mean the other side of the street wil get evicted????

Man, I better go stock up on some Lenox Barbecue like now! :o (Harrisburg at Altic street further down)

I guess I need to find my camera and go monitor progress, since it's all about a quarter mile from home. I've been distracted with the sewer project that has both streets on my corner torn up....

y'all let me know what to do with pictures. I've been meaning to take some shots of my hood while biking, but I just never bring the camera. The rail project could be the push I need.

Edited by crunchtastic

Well something that would raise up the photographer high enough to catch all of the action in one shot.

Standing on a truck bed won't do. Just a thought. I thought of getting on top of nearby buildings but need permission.

I'll chip in on a cherrypicker rental if several other people will join in (and allow me to use it in other parts of town and the East End for skyline photography and such).

I'll chip in on a cherrypicker rental if several other people will join in (and allow me to use it in other parts of town and the East End for skyline photography and such).

OMG.

This can turn ugly.

Can you imagine one or two of these things going down Harrisburg with us taking pictures from 30-40 feet?

Sobriety almost seems optional.

Vicodin for everyone!

East End Kick Off from the Chronicle.

As streamers and fireworks shot into the sweltering air and opponents picketing outside, elected officials and East End community leaders today celebrated the impending start of construction of a light rail line in their historic neighborhood.

"It may have been said in the past, but it can't be said now that the city of Houston is overlooking the East End," Mayor Bill White said to applause from about 200 supporters.

So has speculative real estate purchasing already happened or is it currently happening on all the new lines?

For those that are interested in the ongoing saga...

East End Corridor Back on Track

Statement of City Council Member James Rodriguez

After meeting with METRO CEO and President Frank Wilson and the Gulf Coast Freight Rail District this past Friday (April 4, 2008) afternoon, I am pleased to announce that the East End Corridor is back on track with the Magnolia Transit Center as its destination. It has been previously reported that because of grade separation issues at the former Houston Belt & Terminal Railway tracks, now owned by Union Pacific Railroad, the East End Corridor line would end at Harrisburg between 65th and Oldham - a location that is totally unacceptable to the community. I am glad that we are now all on the same page and are committed to Magnolia in this first phase.

The completion of the corridor to Magnolia will take time, money and a strong partnership between METRO, the Gulf Coast Freight Rail District, the City of Houston and other governmental entities. I, along with METRO and the Gulf Coast Freight Rail District are committed to working together to move this project forward. I want to thank the Gulf Coast Freight Rail District for coming to the table to help us construct the corridor that was originally promised to my constituents.

Meanwhile, I have discussed my constituent's concerns about the Southeast and University corridors and have asked METRO for a thorough follow-up on those matters. I will consider supporting METRO's Consent Agreement once those issues have been satisfactorily addressed and/or resolved.

Anyone go to the East End Line ceremony?

Property clearance has begun on Harrisburg across from the coffee factory.

My mind is racing!

There is a two story apt red brick building directly in front of Stewart & Stevenson & York/Sampson Street and it is of somewhat historical significance! Has the Landlord's or original owners name embedded above the entry way like they did back in the 1920-30's. (Biting nails) it must be right in the path!? :o:angry:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Houston&...de=INTERSECTION

Can a person still lay in front of a bulldozer in protest? I am serious people there are going to be some good historic buildings that are about vanish. Most are in very recent photos on Haif.

Lord yield thy sword for thy path waketh over my dead body! :(

Does anyone know where I can get an artist rendering or construction drawings of what Harrisburg will look like after completion? I am interested what it will look like along the Coffee factory.

I have a property one block off Harrisburg close to Milby, so I will post some pics of the construction.

My mind is racing!

There is a two story apt red brick building directly in front of Stewart & Stevenson & York/Sampson Street and it is of somewhat historical significance! Has the Landlord's or original owners name embedded above the entry way like they did back in the 1920-30's. (Biting nails) it must be right in the path!? :o:angry:

This one? I have not seen a condemnation sign there, so I'm assuming Liu gave up part of his land across the street and that it's safe... for now.

The Art Deco building DOES have a sign, sorry to say.

This one? I have not seen a condemnation sign there, so I'm assuming Liu gave up part of his land across the street and that it's safe... for now.

The Art Deco building DOES have a sign, sorry to say.

WOW! You are good! That is the very bldg I speak of. That black iron doored bldg on the left of the Art Deco bldg will probably go to. Save those doors someone!

I worked at S Stevenson for 2 yrs around 82-83 and that whole area I worked in has vanished already. That old Purple Heart? across the street may be leveled too. I am assuming built in 1940's? Oh and that historic gas station on corner of Lockwood and Harrisburg? Yeoeeee! :o

Ok, we are straying from topic but see "Reminicing about old East End Structures topic".

Took a slow drive from Lockwood and headed East. Was more focused to the left side and noticed that most of the structures are not worth any value. There is maybe 1-2 bldgs or former homes that can be moved but by far it's blighted and may as well vanish. Kind of like having to shoot a horse after it breaks a leg. Put it out of it's misery.

However as noted the recently remodeled structures like that new bank across or near Lenox will be a battle. Get out the popcorn. :ph34r:

I'm guessing the land near that stop will be worth a lot with the park right there.

When I went down Harrisburg on Saturday, I thought it interesting how little traffic there was around the Maxwell House place.

Yall think that place has a chance or will it sort of enhance the area?

I'm guessing the land near that stop will be worth a lot with the park right there.

When I went down Harrisburg on Saturday, I thought it interesting how little traffic there was around the Maxwell House place.

Yall think that place has a chance or will it sort of enhance the area?

And with that post, lockmat becomes the latest winner in the HAIF Summer Post Card Contest.

Your prize:

gallery_1_86_73389.jpg

On the front:

PALM LINED HIGHWAY, LOWER RIO GRANDE VALLEY OF TEXAS

On the back:

A 1 1/2 cent Harding stamp.

A postmark: Feb 10 8-PM 1938

Another postmark: Fed 14 1938, Elmhurst, ILL

To: Mr & Mrs Marviln Miller

c/o Martin Fiene

Lake Street

Elmhurst

Route Illinois

Hello Anna & Marlavin,

Having a fine time eating oranges and Grapefruit had a nice trip no trouble so far.

Amy, Donna, Carl

PM me your mailing address so I can send you your prize.

schweeeet! really cool.

Thanks

Instant celebrity! :lol:

Take a drive directly in front of the old Maxwell House plant. Here you will notice that someone has plenty of work to do.

What is kind of unfair and sad is that the long, long time residents that once cared religiously for their properties have become elderly and too ill to care for their homes, the renters are what ruined the image of their once lovable nabe. I say unfair, because media and newcomers percieve as slum when its a number of factors that made it they way it is. Same old story, younger generations fled to suburbs and left the senior community to fend for themselves. Such an injustice to these older genrations. 99% of them will not use this new rail. Most seniors fear this thing and the element within. Ok, here come the rocks! Gotta duck! :lol:

Edited by Vertigo58

Instant celebrity! :lol:

Take a drive directly in front of the old Maxwell House plant. Here you will notice that someone has plenty of work to do.

Everything on that stretch of Sampson/York is so... depressing. Cratered streets, two busy freight lines, spooky abandoned buildings, and sad little houses. Hopefully the future York station will attract some much-needed attention there.

Edited by arisegundo

From Metro's Website, I guess we better start hustling if we want pics. I can't make it until after the weekend.:(

Construction begins

Construction crews are set to begin utility work the week of June 30 in the first segment of the East End Corridor.

• On Monday (June 30) and Tuesday (July 1) there will be surveyors in the first segment of construction on Harrisburg between Milby and Lockwood (approximately 3,300 feet).
  • On Wednesday (July 2) the shoulder lane on the north side of the street will be blocked and crews will begin work.
  • Crews will excavate a trench to work on utilities one block at a time.
  • The first block will be from Milby to Drennan, approximately 700 feet, and crews will work their way east (see map).
    • Crews will work on this first block for approximately 18 days
    • Toward the end of that period, crews will begin work on the next block east
    • After work on each block has concluded, the trench will be closed and the pavement will be patched and re-striped

[*]This work will take place only during day-time, but not during peak traffic periods.

[*]Residents and business owners in need of assistance or further details may contact the East End Corridor Office

I got pics this past saturday at most intersections. It was a lot harder than I though getting some decent ones. I need to retake some that I took when facing west since the sun was going down. It created a bad reflection on the photos somehow. My friend and I are in the process of labeling the intersection and direction in which they were took.

Edited by lockmat

Everything on that stretch of Sampson/York is so... depressing. Cratered streets, two busy freight lines, spooky abandoned buildings, and sad little houses. Hopefully the future York station will attract some much-needed attention there.

True, its all or the best. I think Ripley House is somewhere nearby? Sometimes in the case like this there needed to be something NEW no matter what it is. Most long timers fled as decades past by. Try driving around that area at night. No way Jose!

Even that old Maxwell House is in disrepair. Remember the last heavy downpour we had about a year ago? That whole wall facing Harrisburg was on the verge of collapse, had to hold up with poles. Blah.

I got pics this past saturday at most intersections. It was a lot harder than I though getting some decent ones. I need to retake some that I took when facing west since the sun was going down. It created a bad reflection on the photos somehow. My friend and I are in the process of labeling the intersection and direction in which they were took.

You rock. If I'm up early enough (I go to work at noon) I will go and snap some photos before stuff gets torn up on the first segment.

True, its all or the best. I think Ripley House is somewhere nearby? Sometimes in the case like this there needed to be something NEW no matter what it is. Most long timers fled as decades past by. Try driving around that area at night. No way Jose!

Even that old Maxwell House is in disrepair. Remember the last heavy downpour we had about a year ago? That whole wall facing Harrisburg was on the verge of collapse, had to hold up with poles. Blah.

Ripley's on Navigation and Sidney, near the old streetcar depot. Campus was rebuilt in the mid-90s.

It's a miracle no one died when two acres of roof at Maximus went ker-plunk. I must remember to upload the photos I took. Little coffee envelopes were everywhere. Also got some images of the rebuilding.

Edited by arisegundo