Northwest Private Schools

Hi. We will be moving to the Willowbrook/Tomball area before the next school year (not exactly sure where yet). I've learned a lot about the Public Schools in the area. Now I'm interested in finding out about the Private Schools. Does anyone have thoughts, suggestions, and/or opinions? Thank you.

Hi. We will be moving to the Willowbrook/Tomball area before the next school year (not exactly sure where yet). I've learned a lot about the Public Schools in the area. Now I'm interested in finding out about the Private Schools. Does anyone have thoughts, suggestions, and/or opinions? Thank you.

I can highly recommend Northland Christian School. Our child just completed his first year there (kindergarten) and I can not say enough good things about it. Northland provides a challenging curriculum, expectations of the child to be his best, and an entire staff that is truly interested in the growth of each and every child. Staff to parent communication is excellent and the overall environment is that of a small, caring community. Our son absolutely loved it and is already ready to go back to school.

I attended Trinity Lutheran School when I was a young, and my child has just completed a 3rd year there. It is a wonderful school with caring teachers, active parents, and lots of activities available for the students.

My co-worker's children attend St. Anne's in Tomball and they have been pleased as well. My nephew attended Northwoods Catholic for a year and a half and they really liked it there (very, very structured).

I attended Trinity Lutheran School when I was a young, and my child has just completed a 3rd year there. It is a wonderful school with caring teachers, active parents, and lots of activities available for the students.

My co-worker's children attend St. Anne's in Tomball and they have been pleased as well. My nephew attended Northwoods Catholic for a year and a half and they really liked it there (very, very structured).

OK, I just have to throw this out there. If you are moving into Klein ISD, you should really look hard at what the public schools can offer over private schools. For example, private schools cannot compete with the fine arts curriculum in Klein (it's gotten high marks at the national level). The band, choir and orchestra programs offer so many amazing opportunities for your child. I've heard so many people say their children quit playing their instruments when they moved to private school because the programs were so far behind what their old public counterpart offered. The other issue to consider is that some (not all) of the students atending the private school are there because their either got kicked out or have too many issues to attend public schools. I, too, often considered private schools when I became unhappy with my children's elementary school...now that we are at the intermediate school level, it's a whole new world and I really see that it was worth hanging in there ... plus it does not strap our family to pay for addt'l private music lessons, sports camps, swim lessons etc. I would be really irritated to pay for all of this -- on top of private school tuition.

The other issue to consider is that some (not all) of the students atending the private school are there because their either got kicked out or have too many issues to attend public schools.

What?? You have got to be kidding me. My kids have attended both public in The Woodlands and private in Houston. The private school has ZERO, and I do mean ZERO tolerance for "issues." They are moving way to fast and put up with nothing. The public system has to put up with a lot or they will get sued. Do you know how hard it is to expel a kid in the public system? There were kids in my boys public that were physcially violent towards kids and teachers, and they would just go home for the rest of the day and have "sessions" with the VP.

Let's put it this way, one of my boys is a complete HAM. Good hearted but a total distraction and brilliant to boot. In the public system they just would put him on red or yellow for the day...no recourse.

In private, the kid racked up so many detentions for hamming ( 5 of them) and talking that he got suspended (in house). Next year 5 detentions means a 3 day suspenion. Two suspensions you are out. And this is for overly-social talking.

All this said, there are specific private schools know to be more for the troublesome kids of the wealthy, but most of them are not that way.

Let's put it this way, one of my boys is a complete HAM. Good hearted but a total distraction and brilliant to boot. In the public system they just would put him on red or yellow for the day...no recourse.

In private, the kid racked up so many detentions for hamming ( 5 of them) and talking that he got suspended (in house). Next year 5 detentions means a 3 day suspenion. Two suspensions you are out. And this is for overly-social talking.

OK, I get your point about them putting up with a lot in public schools but you are also confirming the other downside of private schools -- they want the appearance of being super-strict with kids so people feel they are getting their money's worth. But the other side of that is that they cater to parents because they are also paying big bucks. I was chatting the other day with a neighbor who had taught at Northland Christian and she was saying how she didn't last but a few months because of the behavior problems she faced and that the school was unwilling to handle those kids because of their parents.

If you are hell-bent on sending your child to private school, I'm sure you'll feel like it is worth every penny. I also feel like I'm getting my tax dollars' worth with my two in middle school. Ironically, they attend what most people consider is a "bad" Title I middle school... when my son was asked in 7th Grade to participate in the Duke Talent Program and as part of that took the SAT with high school students and did pretty well... that's when I realized I was truly getting my money's worth.

OK, I get your point about them putting up with a lot in public schools but you are also confirming the other downside of private schools -- they want the appearance of being super-strict with kids so people feel they are getting their money's worth. But the other side of that is that they cater to parents because they are also paying big bucks. I was chatting the other day with a neighbor who had taught at Northland Christian and she was saying how she didn't last but a few months because of the behavior problems she faced and that the school was unwilling to handle those kids because of their parents.

If you are hell-bent on sending your child to private school, I'm sure you'll feel like it is worth every penny. I also feel like I'm getting my tax dollars' worth with my two in middle school. Ironically, they attend what most people consider is a "bad" Title I middle school... when my son was asked in 7th Grade to participate in the Duke Talent Program and as part of that took the SAT with high school students and did pretty well... that's when I realized I was truly getting my money's worth.

How is expelling problematic children an "appearance?"

I think public and private are equally good educations, depending on the child. So, I don't know why you are getting your nose out of joint calling our decision "hell-bent."

Edited by KatieDidIt

Fortunately, we have good options in the NW area for both public and private schools. My kids have attended elementary school at Cypress Christian School, and we have been very happy there. Our oldest is going into 6th grade, and will be moving into public school. Both have their pluses and minuses. Personally, I think you have to look at each kid, each year, and figure out what the best thing is for them and your family.

How is expelling problematic children an "appearance?"

I think public and private are equally good educations, depending on the child. So, I don't know why you are getting your nose out of joint calling our decision "hell-bent."

My point is that some people think that just because they're paying more for something ... they're truly getting something better, i.e. if you're sold on private school, no amount of information to the contrary will change your mind. I was just speaking for what works for my family... which may not be a one-size fits all situation.

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, but...

My child spent 3 years in a KISD Exemplary elementary before we made the switch to private. In those 3 years (K-2) she had one FABULOUS teacher, one OK but very slow teacher, and one HORRIBLE teacher. The one teacher that was so bad, was verbally abusive to an excessive point.

Granted, every school seems to have "one of those", but the things this teacher said and did to my child were traumatic and have had a continued effect even after 3 years away from that school. We had several meetings with the VP and Principal at the school, but nothing was done. We insisted our child be removed from the class, and they agreed it was necessary, but didn't do so until 2 weeks before the end of the school year! In fact, the only reason they actually made the move to a different class is because we contacted the Superintendent, Dr. Jim Cain. Only after a discussion with him did the school principal react to the situation. The problem was equally with the teacher and the administration's lack of response.

Upon further research, I found out this teacher had been at the school for 15+ years. She previously had been teaching a higher grade level, but had been moved to a much lower level. Why? Well, the parents from her class had recommended her termination or the removal of their students from her class. They had even gone as far as to pass around a petition through all of the parents discussing her short-comings as a 4th grade teacher. Apparently it created such a stir, the principal had no choice to move her to a different grade level, which is how we ended up with her. (Yes, I know it wasn't a true demotion to move to a lower grade, but she was moved mostly due to a lack of subject knowledge.)

I have always considered KISD to be an exceptional public school system. However, our experience there was AWFUL. Sure, there are thousands of students that received a thorough, incident free education there (which I know many), but what we went through can never be erased in my opinion.

We looked at quite a few private schools in the area before selecting Trinity, and I saw one especially that seemed like a magnet school for "problem children." However, many schools are not set up this way and don't tolerate any misstep by the students. For instance, if you choose to allow it, they can still get old fashioned swats at some. (Which is an entirely different subject.) The teachers and administration truly care about the education and all-around well being of each and every student. They honestly try to encourage the whole child, not just TAKS scores.

We chose Trinity because I attended that school for several years before transitioning to SISD. I went to Bammel Middle and Westfield High... back when it was considered to be BETTER than Klein, and I can say I was easily far, far ahead of my peers in terms of academics when I made the switch. I graduated with honors in the top 15% of my class. Much of this I credit to the quality of education I received in my years Pre-K-6 in private school. As far as fine arts go, (I'll get killed by the Klein parents for this) I was lucky to be in the band program at Westfield, which was as good as it gets anywhere in this country.

As far as extra-curricular activities, my child's school offers most you can receive at a public middle school. Grades 5-8 can participate in sports such as soccer, softball, volleyball, basketball, cheerleading and football. They offer art classes and computer club for all ages, and drama classes for the older children. Grades 3-8 can participate in the choirs at the school, and 5-8 can enter the band program. In fact, our 3-4 grade choir just started this year and entered a city wide choir contest in April. They competed against 37 other schools, including KISD elementary schools, and our choir won FIRST PLACE! :D So there are lots of opportunities for activities in the private schools, depending on which you attend. Frankly, I think these are valuable choices for students, but I don't plan on my kid becoming a professional athlete, so I find quality academics to be infinitely more important.

Ultimately, do the research and make the choice that is best for you and your child.

Edited by houstongirl

I have always considered KISD to be an exceptional public school system. However, our experience there was AWFUL. Sure, there are thousands of students that received a thorough, incident free education there (which I know many), but what we went through can never be erased in my opinion.

My family does not live in the area yet, but I cannot tell you how many times we've heard these types of comments concerning KISD. And I've been shocked at the amount of negative comments about the school board. Don't get me wrong...you never make a decision based on somebody elses experiences or hurt feelings, but it does raise red flags.

My family does not live in the area yet, but I cannot tell you how many times we've heard these types of comments concerning KISD. And I've been shocked at the amount of negative comments about the school board. Don't get me wrong...you never make a decision based on somebody elses experiences or hurt feelings, but it does raise red flags.

To be perfectly honest, I was one of those people who wasn't terribly happy with the School Board and the district -- thought they were ridiculously conservative etc. and were out to screw everyone living in the South end of the school district. Then, I was asked to be on a "key communicators' committee (basically a monthly dog and pony show) ... then I got invited to some events surrounding the 08 Bond issue ... and I gotta tell you.. I'm not easily impressed but I came away from this past year having spent countless hours involved and am a much stronger believer in the Klein ISD District and the high standards they set.

The demographics in Klein have changed over the last 10 years and basically you have one camp of people who don't like it and think they should get their way on what they want .. they have they money to purchase a very loud megaphone at which to denounce the Board. On the flip side, the people who are satisfied with the schools are just not as motivated to rant and rave. It sounds like you're doing your homework ... so Bravo and good luck ...

To be perfectly honest, I was one of those people who wasn't terribly happy with the School Board and the district -- thought they were ridiculously conservative etc. and were out to screw everyone living in the South end of the school district. Then, I was asked to be on a "key communicators' committee (basically a monthly dog and pony show) ... then I got invited to some events surrounding the 08 Bond issue ... and I gotta tell you.. I'm not easily impressed but I came away from this past year having spent countless hours involved and am a much stronger believer in the Klein ISD District and the high standards they set.

The demographics in Klein have changed over the last 10 years and basically you have one camp of people who don't like it and think they should get their way on what they want .. they have they money to purchase a very loud megaphone at which to denounce the Board. On the flip side, the people who are satisfied with the schools are just not as motivated to rant and rave. It sounds like you're doing your homework ... so Bravo and good luck ...

And with that post, Forest becomes the latest winner in the HAIF Summer Post Card Contest.

Your prize:

gallery_1_86_136795.jpg

The front is labeled

A Winter Home, Galveston, Tex.

PM me your mailing address and I'll get it out to you.

it's what's taught in the house will determine future success.....I never stepped foot in a private school but I had a good foundation in elementary and from my parents...

I completely agree and was not trying to imply the inability to succeed without a private school education. I just happen to have a fairly well-rounded opinion since I attended both types of school (all in NW Houston) with about 50% of my education in each.

Our negative experience was extreme and pretty rare in the KISD system. However, after the way our situation was severely mishandled, I have lost all trust in KISD as far as my child's education goes. The upbringing of a child is not something to play around with.

I completely agree and was not trying to imply the inability to succeed without a private school education. I just happen to have a fairly well-rounded opinion since I attended both types of school (all in NW Houston) with about 50% of my education in each.

Our negative experience was extreme and pretty rare in the KISD system. However, after the way our situation was severely mishandled, I have lost all trust in KISD as far as my child's education goes. The upbringing of a child is not something to play around with.

And with that, houstongirl becomes the latest winner in the HAIF Summer Post Card Contest.

Your prize:

gallery_1_86_119737.jpg

The front side reads:

THE TEXAS STATE CAPITOL AT AUSTIN

The back side reads:

THE TEXAS STATE CAPITOL

is the largest public building in the U.S., ex-

cept the Capitol at Washington; is the seventh

largest in the world; construction begun 1882,

cornerstone laid March 2nd, 1885; dedicated

May 16th, 1888; built of red granite, from

quarries at Marble Falls, Burnet Co.; dimen-

sions, north to south, 188 feet, 10 inches, east

to west 566 feet, 6 inches; grade level to top

of dome, 311 feet; has 258 rooms, 900 win-

dows, 500 doors; covers 6 acres; inclusive of

grounds 21 acres; estimated cost about

$6,000,000.

PM me your mailing address to receive your prize.

A school district is only as good as the teacher in my kids classroom. That is the way of the world. My children were in the Bammel band when Fred Schroeder was the director. He was one great role model. I wish Stelle Claughton could be cloned and sent around the world to teach how to be a principal.

Forest, please don't fall into the trap of vilifying people who have a different opinion than you. We also have a different experience.

District employees in the Central office have told several people that my husband and I have a negative opinion about Klein. That is just plain not true. Because of our experience, we do have a negative opinion of some of them.

I first became aware of the impending population explosion and changing demographic for Texas in 1964. Anybody who looked could see it coming.

Forest, for you to state that people who disagree with Klein do so because they are somehow disgruntled due to changing demographics in their neighborhood is trivializing the problem, and you just called me a racist. The disgruntled continue to move north. Most homeowners south of Cypress Creek are here because with love our neighborhood and we want to be here. We also expect the schools to be competent. Four principals at Forest in ten years renders that a difficult task.

Three of the Board members from south of the creek are married to current or retired Klein administrators. One owes his job to people at Klein. Do you believe any serious disagreement or even animated discussion is happening there?

When school success eludes the majority of kids in the south end of the district, everybody blames the students and their worthless parents. Coming from a very long line of abolitionist it is my contention that it is the school who is failing the kids. The educrats in the Central office have had years to get ready. They were ready for June and Wards kids.

Tell me how you would design a music program for a student population that is 50% reduced and free lunch? Would your program require kids to come up with an average additional $500.00 per year for band trips? Many of the kids are already working plus trying to be regular suburban students. How could you perform in Carnegie Hall if half your students couldn't pay for the trip? Would you get the kids all hyped up about a band trip, then loan them the money to go in October, with the understanding that they could not graduate until it is paid back. Having to pay for a lost book is one thing. Expecting a 17 year old kid and his immigrant parents to understand the economics of predatory lending enough to come up $1200.00 IMO borders on malevolent. Some people say that if a kid can't afford extra curricular things, they should just not participate. I'm just communist enough to think that public schools should not promote any activity that is not available to ALL STUDENTS. All over the district. Whatever activity is accessible to one, should be available to any who want to participate.

How could a kid in Inwood partake of the IB program at Oak if they could not come up with the funds to do a daily 50 mile round trip commute?

This is the same old Jim Crow crap that has been going on since my toddler drank the colored water at Weingarten's Grocery Store 45 years ago.

And that is why I continue to stay ticked off at the Klein School District.

When school success eludes the majority of kids in the south end of the district, everybody blames the students and their worthless parents. Coming from a very long line of abolitionist it is my contention that it is the school who is failing the kids. The educrats in the Central office have had years to get ready. They were ready for June and Wards kids.

You make some good points about the extracurricular expenses ... and I think we're more on the same page than you would think. I was mainly referring to people who live near High School No. 5 who view that as "their school" and were PO'd about the Bond issue because they would not get to move into "their school" immediately. They are now painting the issues in the district with a very broad brush and I would hate for someone who is new to the area to simply take their word because emotions are still running high over the 08 Bond.

I have two kids at Wunderlich who are proudly headed to Klein Forest ... I have seen up close how successful these schools can be .. so I disagree with your statement that the majority of the kids are not succeeding in the south end of the district. Wunderlich is a Title I school but it has THE LARGEST middle school orchestra in the district ... there are so many kids whose parents find the money to pay for their instruments and private lessons. One thing we did this year was to find a private donor to match some of the fundraising done by the school's orchestra.

Also, there are great things going on at Klein Forest -- the International Business program makes much more sense to me than dragging up to Klein Oak for the Int'l Bacc. program. I've known some very capable kids who tried that Int. Bacc. program and wound up either back at KF or just didn't finish the program in their sr. year at Klein Oak. Are there problems at KF? You bet but there are also drug, gang and other issues at every other high school in the district. Have we been through a few principals at KF? Maybe but RIGHT NOW we have a great principal who is incredibly committed and was named Principal of the Year. If you're signed up to get KleINTouch emails -- be sure to notice how many times South end students are recognized for their achievements -- you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Are there problems at KF? You bet but there are also drug, gang and other issues at every other high school in the district.

I'm not naive enough to think problems only exist at public schools but your statement is just one of many reasons why I asked about Private Schools. And it just continues to add to the "reputation" KISD is gaining, which is not a good thing from my vantage point.

I'm not naive enough to think problems only exist at public schools but your statement is just one of many reasons why I asked about Private Schools. And it just continues to add to the "reputation" KISD is gaining, which is not a good thing from my vantage point.

We also realized problems exist in both public and private schools. We chose Northland because we wanted a smaller school for our child, it was challenging academically and the environment is an extension of the home. They also offer an excellent fine arts program with orchestra beginning in the third grade as well as a plethora of sports and extracurricular activities. On the disciplinary side, conduct is enforced and the majority of kids we've encountered have been well mannered (as have their parents).

Your original question was input on private schools in the area - there are a number of good ones to check out. We've heard great things about Trinity Lutheran and Providence Classical School. Abercrombie also has a very good reputation. John Cooper, though further north in the Woodlands, is stellar.

Good luck to you in your search.

Yeah....WF Band isn't what it was when I graduated HS in '98. In 97 it started to go downhill. Now they don't even get past Area in Marching Band or Region in Honor Band.

Whit flight has definately happend in that area of Spring.

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, but...

My child spent 3 years in a KISD Exemplary elementary before we made the switch to private. In those 3 years (K-2) she had one FABULOUS teacher, one OK but very slow teacher, and one HORRIBLE teacher. The one teacher that was so bad, was verbally abusive to an excessive point.

Granted, every school seems to have "one of those", but the things this teacher said and did to my child were traumatic and have had a continued effect even after 3 years away from that school. We had several meetings with the VP and Principal at the school, but nothing was done. We insisted our child be removed from the class, and they agreed it was necessary, but didn't do so until 2 weeks before the end of the school year! In fact, the only reason they actually made the move to a different class is because we contacted the Superintendent, Dr. Jim Cain. Only after a discussion with him did the school principal react to the situation. The problem was equally with the teacher and the administration's lack of response.

Upon further research, I found out this teacher had been at the school for 15+ years. She previously had been teaching a higher grade level, but had been moved to a much lower level. Why? Well, the parents from her class had recommended her termination or the removal of their students from her class. They had even gone as far as to pass around a petition through all of the parents discussing her short-comings as a 4th grade teacher. Apparently it created such a stir, the principal had no choice to move her to a different grade level, which is how we ended up with her. (Yes, I know it wasn't a true demotion to move to a lower grade, but she was moved mostly due to a lack of subject knowledge.)

We looked at quite a few private schools in the area before selecting Trinity, and I saw one especially that seemed like a magnet school for "problem children." However, many schools are not set up this way and don't tolerate any misstep by the students. For instance, if you choose to allow it, they can still get old fashioned swats at some. (Which is an entirely different subject.) The teachers and administration truly care about the education and all-around well being of each and every student. They honestly try to encourage the whole child, not just TAKS scores.

We chose Trinity because I attended that school for several years before transitioning to SISD. I went to Bammel Middle and Westfield High... back when it was considered to be BETTER than Klein, and I can say I was easily far, far ahead of my peers in terms of academics when I made the switch. I graduated with honors in the top 15% of my class. Much of this I credit to the quality of education I received in my years Pre-K-6 in private school. As far as fine arts go, (I'll get killed by the Klein parents for this) I was lucky to be in the band program at Westfield, which was as good as it gets anywhere in this country.

As far as extra-curricular activities, my child's school offers most you can receive at a public middle school. Grades 5-8 can participate in sports such as soccer, softball, volleyball, basketball, cheerleading and football. They offer art classes and computer club for all ages, and drama classes for the older children. Grades 3-8 can participate in the choirs at the school, and 5-8 can enter the band program. In fact, our 3-4 grade choir just started this year and entered a city wide choir contest in April. They competed against 37 other schools, including KISD elementary schools, and our choir won FIRST PLACE! :D So there are lots of opportunities for activities in the private schools, depending on which you attend. Frankly, I think these are valuable choices for students, but I don't plan on my kid becoming a professional athlete, so I find quality academics to be infinitely more important.

Ultimately, do the research and make the choice that is best for you and your child.

Yeah....WF Band isn't what it was when I graduated HS in '98. In 97 it started to go downhill. Now they don't even get past Area in Marching Band or Region in Honor Band.

WHS did win BOA Grand Nationals in 2003.

Haven't been paying attention lately, though.

How old are your kids?

If they're grade school-age and small classes are really important to you, I'd recommend Abercrombie Academy in Spring (off of Louetta). I only went there until kindergarten but by brother went there up through 5th grade as did one of my younger uncles. The drawback there is they don't have as much to offer in terms of facilities/activities as public schools or larger private schools might.

John Cooper is a great one (I went there for all 12 years and graduated 2 years ago), and though it's expensive it's definitely worth your money (beautiful campus, Ivy League-educated faculty, great academics, good athletic programs, virtually guaranteed to get into any Top 100 college you apply to)

My brother is currently at Northland Christian and I know several people who went there. I've generally heard good things about it and that's another good one and not very expensive.

Providence Classical School is SCARY, that was one my parents looked at for my brother a couple of years ago. Those people are RELIGIOUS FANATIC NUTJOBS and for the love of God (no pun intended) STAY AWAY FROM THERE.

We have some neighbors whose kids attended Northwoods Catholic School and ended up leaving halfway through the year. Apparently if you're not Catholic it's a very unpleasant environment to be in.

If you're willing to make the drive, Episcopal, Strake Jesuit, Kinkaid and St. John's are good ones too.

Creekdweller,

Thanks for the information. My children are 9, 7, & 5. Class size is important but I would rather my children be in a school that is grounded in a worldview that mirrors what I am teaching them at home. Education is also important but I feel there are much more important things in life for my children to learn; especially when I am establishing a foundation that everything else in their lives will be built upon.

It seems there are many choices for the lower grades but very few for upper, especially high school. I keep hearing very nice things about Trinity Lutheran.

It seems there are many choices for the lower grades but very few for upper, especially high school. I keep hearing very nice things about Trinity Lutheran.

Private high schools are few and far between in the NW area of Houston. The largest selection is found further in town, but there are a few choices out here in the 'burbs.

A lot of the students at Trinity complete their high school years at Concordia High School in Tomball. I know many families with kids at Concordia, and they are all very pleased with not only the academics and opportunities, but also the sense of community within the student body. In fact, there is a high probability it is the high school my child will attend.

I know families with kids at Concordia, John Cooper, and Lutheran High North. I have not heard any complaints from any of them... except from the kids when it

Creekdweller,

Thanks for the information. My children are 9, 7, & 5. Class size is important but I would rather my children be in a school that is grounded in a worldview that mirrors what I am teaching them at home. Education is also important but I feel there are much more important things in life for my children to learn; especially when I am establishing a foundation that everything else in their lives will be built upon.

Northland is K-12. The elementary campus (K-5) and secondary campus (6-12) are separate locations. One of the reasons we chose this school was the ability for our child to be in the same school for all grades. We have also been very impressed with the diversity within the school. John Cooper is also K-12.

Edited by momofone

WOW! Of course everyone is intitled to their own opinion. You asked about the private schools in the area. I think that you should talk to your new neighbors about their experiences with the specific public schools that they attend. You also need to consider the personality of your children.

I have one child in public school that is thriving (made all A's the entire school year and was active in band), the other had serious problems with bullying when attending our neighborhood public school. I gave the school much to long (an entire school year) to try to remedy the situation which included moving MY child to another classroom. Then last year I sent him to a private school - it is SO much better!

Each school has its issues. Each teacher has its issues. Here is a list of some schools you may wish to check into. Another thing to consider is that public school HAS to take them. If you enroll yours in private school and then withdrawl them, they have to be placed in public school rather than the other way around.

There are also a TREMENDOUS amount of homeschooling parents and entire support groups for that. They get together for certain subjects like PE, Latin, Science, etc.

Visit the schools and talk to the teachers your kids would have. It won't be a complete and accurate assessment but it will help for you to see where your kids are going to be comfortable. Remember that you are the only advocate your kids have. It is ultimately your responsibility to give them the opportunity for a quality education.

There are excellent teachers and administrators in both public and private schools. You need to take the time to talk to as many parents as possible of the schools you are considering. You may find that the public schools are adequate and provide the extracurricular and arts that the private schools can't. Or you may find that you like the smaller class sizes and Christian basis for most of the private schools.

I have also heard of some Charter schools - there is one at Hwy 249 and Beltway 8 that is a science charter school - that might be worth looking into. Harmony Science Academy.

Here is a list of the private schools I know of in the area:

Cypress Christian School - K-12

Rosehill Christian School - PK - 12 Tomball, TX

Covenant Academy - K-8 (high school will open in 2009-2010 school year) - classical education

Please note that Cyfair Christian Academy is no longer in business -the buidling that they occupied on Telge will be home to Covenant Academy starting for the 2008-2009 school year.

School of the Woods - 1st - 11th

Montessori Child Development Center on Mills Road - K - 6th

Oak Ridge Christian Academy - PK -8th in The Woodlands

The John Cooper School - K -12th - in The Woodlands - I have heard EXCELLENT things about this school

St. Anthony - PK - 8th in The Woodlands

The Woodlands Academy Prepatory School - K - 12th in The Woodlands

Happy School Hunting! I am sure that you will make the right decision for your children!