Pearland Passes A Homestead Tax Exemption

Timnwendy

I applaud any attempt to lower taxes but sometimes feel this is nothing more than the old bait and switch. Give me a Homestead exemption and then turn around and make it up by raising the rate per $100 valuation and take it right back. I say if thats what your going to do then just leave it alone and save the city workers time and efforts to have to recalculate the rate to make up for shortfalls caused by giving it in the first place.

Overall thats the irony of our tax system in Texas, officials like our very own Pearland mayor get quoted bragging in the very same paper the Pearland Journal that they have not raised taxes (rates per $100 valuation) in seven years, totally ignoring the fact that property values have skyrocketed and the end result is they have collected record revenues during that period. When you complain all they say is "hey we haven't raised your rates, just be glad your property is increasing in value. Besides we have nothing to do with the appraisals on your property, thats the county appraisal district"

• 1 month later...

Here is a follow up, from an article in today's Pearland Journal (online).

Tax rate expected to stay where it's at

By NATALIE TORENTINOS

Published: 08.14.08With new construction projects popping up in Pearland on a regular basis, property tax revenue will increase by 4.47 percent this year despite a city-wide homestead tax exemption passed in June, and tax payers are likely to rest easy.

The proposed 2008-2009 tax rate is $0.6526 per $100 valuation, which is the current tax rate, according to Pearland City Manager Bill Eisen.

"Council is still having some workshops, so we hope to set our rate slightly lower than last year," said Pearland Mayor Tom Reid. "We haven't officially set that yet."

Public hearings on the proposed tax rate are scheduled for Aug. 25 and Sept. 8, and the first reading of the ordinance takes place Sept. 8.

"These hearings will give input into the process," Reid said. "We're also still working on the water rate, which will effect the tax rate."

The new tax rate will go into effect Oct. 1.

• 3 months later...

With the new year approaching, I wanted to revive this thread.

Some of us newer residents will be filing our homestead exemptions soon, and I was hoping to also file this new one with the city of Pearland. I looked all over their website, but couldn't find anything about it. Does anybody have any further info on how we can apply for it with the city? :unsure:

I know the county handles the regular homestead exemption, but this thing the city passed is for Pearland residents. I would not expect the county to handle it.

the county deals with many different entities at many different tax rates already.

I know the county handles the regular homestead exemption, but this thing the city passed is for Pearland residents. I would not expect the county to handle it.

OK. We moved to SCR last year, and I filed for the homestead exemption with the county this year. I just looked at my tax statement, and it shows the City of Pearland exemption applied to it, along with all the others.

OK. We moved to SCR last year, and I filed for the homestead exemption with the county this year. I just looked at my tax statement, and it shows the City of Pearland exemption applied to it, along with all the others.

I guess that answers it. It's nice to know we don't have to file another form, in addition to the one with the county.

Thanks for checking.

I guess that answers it. It's nice to know we don't have to file another form, in addition to the one with the county.

Thanks for checking.

You're welcome. Not the the $5k makes very much difference in the tax bill, but every penny helps these days.

• The title was changed to Pearland Passes A Homestead Tax Exemption

Archived