MacKie And Kamrath Tour

texasdago

This sounds like a great event and an opportunity to see some great MacKie and Kamrath-designed buildings:

Leigh Alpha Gamma Delta 2005 Home Tour Featuring Architecture by Mackie & Kamrath: Houston's Own Frank Lloyd Wright

May 14 & 15, 2005

1:00 - 5:00 pm

8 Tiel Way, River Oaks - Kamrath Family Home

1951 48 Tiel Way, River Oaks - Kamrath Family Home

1951 67 Tiel Way, River Oaks - Private Residence

1949 804 Friar Tuck, Memorial - Private Residence

1949 11214 Hermosa, Memorial - Kamrath-Inspired Residence

1962 2615 Cameron Street - Small Orthodontic Office

1946 11612 Memorial Drive - Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church

1957 - Sunday Only - 1500 Sunset - Congregation Emanu El Synagogue

1946 - Saturday 1:00-3:00 Only 3120 Buffalo Speedway (Humble Oil Company Facility) - 1951 - Drive-By Only

For information and tickets ($15.00), email spellegrino@houston.rr.com or call 281-440-8511, cell 281-660-7861. Tickets may also be purchased at any home on tour.

Benefiting the following non-profit organizations:

Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation - Leadership Institute

American Heritage Education Foundation (Kamrath Foundation) Robin Bush Room at the Barbara Bush Library

I love Tiel Way! On a driving tour one day we walked around over there and saw those gorgeous houses from the outside. There were several more houses on this street that looked like they are in danger of being tear downs. I don't remember if they were for sale, but they looked pretty run down. Maybe this tour will pique some interest and someone will restore some of the other mods on the street.

On a sad note, and this may not be news, I was doing a drive today (I'm on vacation this week and have done quite a bit of touring, thanks to the weather) and found that a MacKie and Kamrath was torn down. It's in the guide but it's gone now. It was at 11010 Wickwood.

Jason

8 Tiel Way, River Oaks - Kamrath Family Home

1951 48 Tiel Way, River Oaks - Kamrath Family Home

1951 67 Tiel Way, River Oaks - Private Residence

Michael,

I found your pictures of the Mitchell house.

http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/residen...n_mitchellhouse

As well as a bio of George Mitchell (I'm assuming the developer of The Woodlands, not the former senator):

http://houstonhistory.com/whoswho/history23hof.htm

But I can't seem to find anything else on it. Is this one of the houses that will go in the "mod no more" section on Houston Mod? From my bit of driving it seems there are quite a few mod no mores.

Jason

• 3 months later...

I LOVED the tour. I'd always wanted to see the insides of the houses on Tiel way.

It was a treat to meet the former Mrs. Kamrath. The owners of the houses were generous to allow us in. One in particular had an incredible collection of Asian art.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the tour as well. Mainly the Tiel Way houses. My favorite was the one for sale but at 1.7 Million I wasnt looking to investigate further. :)

That one house with the asian artifacts was really cool too. Everything based on the triangle like the Mitchell house.

So whats the story? (nudge, nudge)

• 8 months later...

Wow this is an old thread but I figured it deserved some more attention. I was wondering if anyone has any information or photos of any work done by Karl Kamrath. I recently became more familiar with his buildings, as I have always admired the houses on Tiel Way. I particularly love one of the homes at the back of the drive, the dark brown house with the Lloyd Wright-esque patina trim, I believe 48 Tiel Way. This is probably one of my favorite homes in Houston, aside from the obvious: the de Menil house by Phillip Johnson. So any photographs, links, or publications would be incredibly appreciated!

I do love the Kamrath designs. I believe I know the one you are talking about, it had a very interesting diamond motif throughout the home.

I see that the 59 Tiel Way house for sale above is now only asking 1.5M instead of 1.7 and seems to have an option pending... and here I thought I could amass my fortune before it sold. :(

There are 2 vintage pictures of 48 Tiel Way (the one with the asian artifacts) in Julius Shulman's Modernism Rediscovered book. It's gorgeous.

That tour was excellent. If you missed it, I would still at least do a drive through of it. Next week if you go to the Azalea Trail you could just walk over to Tiel Way and see most of them.

I never did hear the long version of the Mitchell House story, but there was an uproar from preservationists when it was torn down. Seems like such a tradgedy that it was. A house on the same street will be part of the RDA tour so you can see what is going on. New construction?

hope this link works...

http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/main.ph...g2_itemId=10750

Jason

I loved the tour as well. Mainly the Tiel Way houses. My favorite was the one for sale but at 1.7 Million I wasnt looking to investigate further. :)

That one house with the asian artifacts was really cool too. Everything based on the triangle like the Mitchell house.

So whats the story? (nudge, nudge)

• The title was changed to MacKie And Kamrath Tour

Archived