Roadtrip

Jax

I'm going to be going on a road trip with my dad next week to a few Texas cities. It's actually a business trip for him, but I'm going to tag along. We're staring in Houston, driving to San Antonio, then Dallas (via Austin), then back to Houston. I already know Austin and San Antonio, but I've never been to Dallas before. We're staying downtown in a place called Indigo Hotel. Can anybody recommend anything to do/see when I'm in the big D?

I'm going to be going on a road trip with my dad next week to a few Texas cities. It's actually a business trip for him, but I'm going to tag along. We're staring in Houston, driving to San Antonio, then Dallas (via Austin), then back to Houston. I already know Austin and San Antonio, but I've never been to Dallas before. We're staying downtown in a place called Indigo Hotel. Can anybody recommend anything to do/see when I'm in the big D?

Depends on your interests. I would recommend heading over to West Village in Uptown. Great people watching. As stated by someone else, the JFK museum and Dealey Plaza are worth a visit. Go to www.jfk.org for more information on the Sixth Floor Museum. The Crow Collection of Asian Art is worth a visit.

For photography, check out Afterimage Gallery. http://www.afterimagegallery.com/index.htm

What to do really does depend on what you like. You are staying in a historic hotel in the heart of downtown (although nothing happens in the immediate area).

If you like architecture and historical buildings, a walk around the Main/Elm/Commerce area is nice - you can observe a number of buildings from several eras in various stages of rejuvenation. For more modern architecture you can check out the assortment of Pritzker winner's projects in the Arts District (2 still under construction). The Victory Plaza area around the American Airlines Center can also be exciting if something is going on there.

As long as you are downtown, the most historic site is Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum. Even for those too young to appreciate, this is a significant site in history and worth a visit for reflection.

For a view of Dallas' "city life", check out the Uptown area along McKinney Ave from Downtown to Knox St, and perhaps return along the parallel Katy Trail and experience a more peaceful, natural route.

Beyond the downtown area you might want to check out Fair Park (sleepy but significant), the Dallas Arboretum & White Rock Lake, or Turtle Creek from Uptown to Highland Park. I am not including shopping because you can see similar sites in Houston or many other cities.

Even further afield you might want to see Fort Worth (Sundance Square, Stockyards, Museums, Zoo); Arlington (new Cowboys Stadium, Six Flags); Grapevine (Gaylord Texan Resort); or even Southfork Ranch east of Plano (if you are familiar with the 'Dallas' TV show and want to be underwhelmed!).

I hope your trip goes well - you will be seeing a lot of great cities in a few days - have fun!

I went to Dallas a few years back for a convention. We drove downtown to go walk around the "West End" district and found parking in a lot near the back up against a low railing. The railing looked vaguely familiar, so I walked over to it and low and behold we atop the "grassy knoll". I tried getting my friends to take my picture, but they refused and walked off, saying I was acting too much the nerd.

Check out the Nasher Sculpture Center as well, a significant collection of modern sculpture. It's in the Arts District, across from the Dallas Museum of Art.

If you're around downtown on a Friday or Saturday night, there's actually starting to be a crowd on a rejuvenated Main Street these days. In Victory Park, catch a show or a meal at the House of Blues.

For something a little more outdoorsy, hang out at White Rock Lake, if it's not too blazing hot.

Grassy knoll?

Whoa. Just...whoa. :huh:

Anyway, I second most of these rec's. I was going to say that you'd be better off in Ft Worth, but that's a thread for another day. ;)

White Rock Lake is nice and scenic, but a bit of a walk around the lake is only interesting for so long. The Arboretum right next door is great, though. Call me a nerd, but I love just driving around the Highland Park and Turtle Creek areas, staring wistfully at the beautiful old houses. There's one house in particular at the corner of Blackburn and Turtle Creek Drive that's uh-mazing. It's abadoned and you can usually jimmy the front gate open, then give yourself a self-guided tour of a gorgeous 1920s mansion. Don't ask me how I know this... And I'm by no means advocating that you do this. My stupid risks are just that: mine. Don't try that at home.

There's some great shopping to be had off Lovers and Preston. And if you keep going down Lovers into the Park Cities area, there are even more fun little boutique-style shops and restaurants. Northpark Mall is nice if you want to keep your shopping indoors, like a very high-end mix of the Galleria and Memorial City Mall.

There is a park at Buckner and Lake Highlands that almost always has great rugby tournaments going on each weekend. Grab a six-pack of beer and watch one of the games from the stands.

And I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but check out the super trendy (in a hipster sort of way) Lower Greenville and all the new development along 75/North Central Expressway.

guess they don't teach history in high school anymore.

I don't remember anything about a grassy knoll. The farthest we got in US History was Cold War. I'm guessing it has something to do with JFK though.

I don't remember anything about a grassy knoll. The farthest we got in US History was Cold War. I'm guessing it has something to do with JFK though.

Cold war and JFK = peanut butter and jelly. For serious. I mean, Bay of Pigs? Cuban Missile Crisis? Ringing any bells?

Anyway, the Cold War lasted well into the 1990s, a bit past the whole JFK assassination.

What are they teaching (or not teaching) in school these days? :( This whole thing makes me sad.

I already know about the Cuban Missile Crisis and stuff. We just didn't go into depth on the JFK assassination. That's why I didn't know what the grassy knoll was, but I did have an idea.

And now that I think about it, we went into Roe v. Wade and stopped at the Gulf War. After TAKS, we basically did nothing.

I already know about the Cuban Missile Crisis and stuff. We just didn't go into depth on the JFK assassination. That's why I didn't know what the grassy knoll was, but I did have an idea.

And now that I think about it, we went into Roe v. Wade and stopped at the Gulf War. After TAKS, we basically did nothing.

The "grassy knoll" is where some conspiracy buffs contend that the shots that were fatal to JFK were actually fired from - and not the Texas School Book Depository.

I did not know Cuba even had missles. They are such a poor country. Why would they buy them? I guess all of the revenue from cigars pays nicely. :blink:

Kidding obviously.

I'm not. They didn't say anything about the grassy knoll. Just that JFK got assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald on the 6th floor from the Texas Book Depository. That is about how in depth we got. Didn't speak about conspiracies or anything. If I had my US History book still, I would scan the pages for you. JFK's assassination was like two paragraphs in a section of the chapter.

But there is this girl in my class, and her grandfather took the picture of Oswald getting shot by the other guy (forgot his name). Now he is rich and living in Colorado.

I'm not. They didn't say anything about the grassy knoll. Just that JFK got assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald on the 6th floor from the Texas Book Depository. That is about how in depth we got. Didn't speak about conspiracies or anything. If I had my US History book still, I would scan the pages for you. JFK's assassination was like two paragraphs in a section of the chapter.

But there is this girl in my class, and her grandfather took the picture of Oswald getting shot by the other guy (forgot his name).

maybe you should suggest they add a third paragraph to talk about the grassy knoll and the other guy.

Yeah, I'll have to do that.

But I'm telling you all, after TAKS (especially us in 11th grade) they don't teach you really anything new. They really do teach for the TAKS test.

But there is this girl in my class, and her grandfather took the picture of Oswald getting shot by the other guy (forgot his name). Now he is rich and living in Colorado.

It would take you five seconds to google that tidbit of information and not let yourself be percieved as so uninformed.

Jack Ruby.

I live right next door to Hotel Indigo... it looks like a fun place to stay. Here are some ideas within walking distance:

If you walk down Harwood street you can go south for a few blocks to the Farmers Market. Weekends are best but you can go anytime during the day to taste fresh produce and pick some up. If you go a bit further and cross I30 you can visit Dallas Heritage Village at Old City Park. It contains a bunch of old houses and businesses with costumed interpreters.

If you walk the other way (north) you'll pass by the DART rail station a few blocks away (St. Paul Station). A few blocks past that is the Arts District which contains several museums that are having lots of free summer events (movies, concerts, exhibits, etc). One street over, St. Paul, next to the DMA is where you can catch the free streetcar to Uptown and all of the shops and restaurants there.

You can also walk down Main Street to check out the shops and restaurants in the evening; hop on the DART rail to the West End/Victory; take a quick cab or bus to Deep Ellum art galleries and restaurants/bars; visit Fair Park for all of the Art Deco architecture, 4th of July events and museums; etc. It all depends what kind of things you're looking to do.

You can also check out http://www.guidelive.com for a list of events. Send me an email if you need any specific ideas or help.

Have fun!

Alright, we're heading to Oklahoma for a little lakeside vacation in a few weeks. It looks like we're going to be laying over in Dallas for 24 hours as a special request by me. I've booked us a room at the Hotel Lawrence at South Houston & Jackson. That puts us 4 blocks from the whole JFK experience (Book Depository, Dealey Plaza/Grass Knoll, and the JFK Memorial). We'll also be only 3 blocks from the Dallas County Courthouse, and just 1 block from Union Station.

My 24 hour agenda is as follows: I'm planning on dining in Victory Park that evening when we arrive. Because my wife & kids like to sleep in, I'll probably get up early the next morning and catch the DART from Union Station to over to the Pearl Station (EDIT: I might take Trae's advice and ride all the way north to City Place so I can check out Dallas' subway we've heard so much about..), and then back just to get a feel for their rail line. I'll then take a little early driving tour of Downtown, Museum District, Deep Ellum, and then over to the State Fairgrounds. When I get back, everyone should be up, and we'll walk over to the courthouse museum and then the JFK experience before leaving town, driving through Uptown on our way out.

I'm open to any suggestions to see anything I missed. Mind you, I'm am very time crunched. I had to beg for this layover just so I could get something of architectural value from this vacation! I wanted to spend some time at Fair Park, but we just won't have time this trip.

Alright, we're heading to Oklahoma for a little lakeside vacation in a few weeks. It looks like we're going to be laying over in Dallas for 24 hours as a special request by me. I've booked us a room at the Hotel Lawrence at South Houston & Jackson. That puts us 4 blocks from the whole JFK experience (Book Depository, Dealey Plaza/Grass Knoll, and the JFK Memorial). We'll also be only 3 blocks from the Dallas County Courthouse, and just 1 block from Union Station.

My 24 hour agenda is as follows: I'm planning on dining in Victory Park that evening when we arrive. Because my wife & kids like to sleep in, I'll probably get up early the next morning and catch the DART from Union Station to over to the Pearl Station (EDIT: I might take Trae's advice and ride all the way north to City Place so I can check out Dallas' subway we've heard so much about..), and then back just to get a feel for their rail line. I'll then take a little early driving tour of Downtown, Museum District, Deep Ellum, and then over to the State Fairgrounds. When I get back, everyone should be up, and we'll walk over to the courthouse museum and then the JFK experience before leaving town, driving through Uptown on our way out.

I'm open to any suggestions to see anything I missed. Mind you, I'm am very time crunched. I had to beg for this layover just so I could get something of architectural value from this vacation! I wanted to spend some time at Fair Park, but we just won't have time this trip.

Sounds like a great agenda given your limited time, although I wouldn't worry too much about missing Fair Park. It is a great time capsule of art deco architecture, but if nothing is going on it can seem kind of lonely. Try to plan a visit to see it during an event (State Fair is great) to get the true feel of its "exposition" nature.

Sounds like a great agenda given your limited time, although I wouldn't worry too much about missing Fair Park. It is a great time capsule of art deco architecture, but if nothing is going on it can seem kind of lonely. Try to plan a visit to see it during an event (State Fair is great) to get the true feel of its "exposition" nature.

Thanks for the reply! I've updated my plans in the last week however. Now, we're going to be dining somewhere in the West End the evening we arrive. We are also staying at the Hyatt Regency now. Better view, more amenities, and a pool for the kids. They are also giving away 25 dollar gas card for each night's stay.

The next morning will stay approximately the same, except after the light rail and Downtown/Deep Ellum drive, I'm skipping Fair Park and headed over to Swiss Ave, then Greenville, then Mockingbird, all the way west to Irving Blvd. I think I'll get to see more of Dallas this way. We'll probably drive through Victory Park the first evening before dinner.

We're skipping Fair Park, because we just decided to go to the state fair this fall and see it all then.

Can anyone give me any feedback on Dick's Last Resort for family dining in the early evening, and Twisted Root Burgers for family lunch?

Can anyone give me any feedback on Dick's Last Resort for family dining in the early evening, and Twisted Root Burgers for family lunch?

Twisted Root is a good place for lunch... I finally went there a few weeks ago (check to make sure they are open, as I've gone by several times and they were closed). I've never been to Dick's Last Resort . Right near Dick's Last Resort across Houston is Cafe Rembrandt (it's kind of hidden so use the map:http://www.caferembrandtdallas.com/) which is a cool little Dutch pub if you need a drink after dinner.

This weekend is also the Taste of Dallas in the West End. http://www.tasteofdallas.org/

Archived