Prince's Drive-In Restaurants

robhan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prince's Menu

ROYM you deserve an award for best scanned photo of the YEAR! :D

Here is an excerpt that indicates just how much Prince's had pride in their beautiful carhops. There is a famous photo of the event and I will dig around for it, but see the news article for now:

The attention car hops received outside of Hollywood could he a bit more genuine. Capitalizing on the publicity generated by Life magazine's car hop article, the city of Galveston, Texas, initiated a car hop contest in conjunction with its Splash Days festival opening their resort season. A statewide gathering of car hops paraded on the sea wall and performed a series of restaurant maneuvers while judges sat in an open convertible. Contestants were judged on their charm, figure, courtesy, technique, and quickness of repartee. Balancing a tray filled with bottles of Coke, Seven-Up, Dr. Pepper, and beer, car hops were cheered on by thousands of onlookers celebrating "this newest and most popular of modern institutions."

Here are some of the gal's. :P

glam2.JPGImage69.gif

ROYM you deserve an award for best scanned photo of the YEAR! :D

Thanks, glad you liked it! :)

I didn't know they started in Dallas either, or had locations in other cities. I guess that explains why the store numbers in Houston are not sequential.

Thanks, glad you liked it! :)

I didn't know they started in Dallas either, or had locations in other cities. I guess that explains why the store numbers in Houston are not sequential.

The original Prince's was on Lemmon Avenue in Dallas and it actually was still in operation a couple of years ago, then closed and was torn down.

Now I am salivating. But first, I was so regional within our fair city of old Houston, I didn't know there were ANY other Prince's beyond ours, which was at 8101 S. Main. I find it so amusing to learn that they didn't start in Houston and when they arrived were scattered all over the place. The food:

Every single Friday night for dinner, my mother and step-father took us out to Prince's. Their favorite was the open Trout Sandwich, which is only 65 cents of the menu above, wow. I loved that item as well, but sometimes had the scrumtuous hamburger. But, always I ordered the Root Beer. I am a died in the wool Coca Cola devotee, but those weighed a ton glass mugs, frozen and frosty with the special ice and great root beer was not to be passed up, especially on a stifling summer night.

I always found it strange that Stuart's was directly across the street, talk about competition. However, the only times we went there, we ventured inside for their excellent seafood gumbo.

One more thing about carhops. They were not as portrayed in movies, gum-smacking, wise cracking broads. Very polite, big smiles and extremely good at their jobs. The info about the contest says it all.

I remember the big splurge was the shrimp basket!!

PS - I found a picture of the Dallas one......

That's a great photo of the candy striped awning! :D

I imagine myself dipping my onion rings in that delicious tartar sauce now!

It's delightful, it's delicious, it's delictible.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to cave in and get some onion rings the other day.

FYI, the Prince's at is it Kirby and 59? Be sure to view the great pics of the old locations. There is a really good one of the classic car meets they used to have on Friday nights at the Main street location (now metro station). :D

Just had to cave in and get some onion rings the other day.

FYI, the Prince's at is it Kirby and 59? Be sure to view the great pics of the old locations. There is a really good one of the classic car meets they used to have on Friday nights at the Main street location (now metro station). :D

I sure would like to have lived in that "innocent" era. The Wayside location is now a car lot, but most of the structure is still there. I would drive by and hope that it would come back to life. Hey my GF's aunt was telling there's still some drive-ins (movies) in Houston. Anyone know where?

I wish Sonic or Dairy Queen would build some locations closer to Downtown.

There's a Sonic on Calhoun and one on Durham by the North Loop. You should move to Pearland -- there are at least four Sonics on 518 between 288 and 528 in Friendswood. Plus one on 35. And two Dairy Queens.

Hungry's on Rice Blvd. in the Village useta be a DQ back in the day, maybe until about '81 or so.

I remember the Prince's on Main near Sears lasted a LONG time, maybe 'til '90 or so? I remember too the one where Taco Cabana is seemed like it was halfway to Victoria or something.

I do not remember one at Montrose and Westheimer, and I came to Houston in 1980. If there was one it was gone before then.

There's a Sonic on Calhoun and one on Durham by the North Loop. You should move to Pearland -- there are at least four Sonics on 518 between 288 and 528 in Friendswood. Plus one on 35. And two Dairy Queens.

Having grown up in the sticks, Friendswood then Katy, I miss DQ, and it's cousin Red Top. That's all we had for fast food in the dark days of the 70s except for fried chicken, and Pizza Inn. When the Sonic came to Katy when I was in high school, it was a gift from the God ---assuming God was a stoner.

I think there's a DQ on Lawndale or Harrisburg close to me. The Sonic at Woodridge sucks. I only go for the very occasional ice cream treat--which is like quik-rete going down and likely, almost as heavy on the toxins. The shakes at the Woodridge Whataburger taste real good, though.

Having grown up in the sticks, Friendswood then Katy, I miss DQ, and it's cousin Red Top. That's all we had for fast food in the dark days of the 70s except for fried chicken, and Pizza Inn. When the Sonic came to Katy when I was in high school, it was a gift from the God ---assuming God was a stoner.

I think there's a DQ on Lawndale or Harrisburg close to me. The Sonic at Woodridge sucks. I only go for the very occasional ice cream treat--which is like quik-rete going down and likely, almost as heavy on the toxins. The shakes at the Woodridge Whataburger taste real good, though.

I think the red top is still on 2351 in Friendswood as well as its cousin the red cap in Santa Fe

Why just Prince's?

At one time, there were any number of those great old drive-in cafes all over Houston. Every neighborhood and every suburb had their own. Prince's was probably the biggest chain of drive-ins, followed by Stuart's and MacDonald's. Not the present-day version of McDonald's. Then there were the independents, with just one location.

My own favorites were in Pasadena, South Houston and around the east end. In Pasadena there was Trainer's, on the old La Porte road at Tatar (now Pasadena Blvd.) Generations of Pasadena kids burgered down at Trainer's, or cruised the place looking for a friend or someone to hook up with. If you were really lucky you could do both. Trainer's always filled up after PHS football and basketball games, and on weekend nites after the movies at the Capitan Theater just one block away. Trainer's was popular with the under-21 high school and junior high crowd, even though it couldn't serve beer.

Kids over 21, those with a friend over 21, or kids with fake ID's went to the Corral Drive-in. This one was just over the Pasadena City Limit line in Houston, next door to the Sinclair Refinery. It served beer, and I don't recall them ever being picky about asking for ID. Just looking old enough could get you a beer. Same story at Vicki's, at South Shaver and Spencer Highway in South Houston.

My favorite drive-in outside that area was the Ranger, at Telephone Road and Holmes Road. It's long gone now and paved over by the South Loop 610 and its feeder roads behind Gulfgate. The Ranger was one very fun drive-in, and it had some of the hottest car-hops in town. Well worth the drive from Pasadena. It was always great fun to get out of your own stomping grounds and go prowling around where you didn't know anybody and no one knew you.

You know? I really miss those old drive-ins. They were a part of a culture that's disappeared from our landscape, and I think we are less for their passing. We went there to sit around on the hoods of our cars with our friends, and, hopefully, hook up with some new friends. It was a social atmosphere impossible to describe to today's generation. Today's drive-ins can't even begin to compare with them.

It was always great fun to get out of your own stomping grounds and go prowling around where you didn't know anybody and no one knew you.

You know? I really miss those old drive-ins. They were a part of a culture that's disappeared from our landscape, and I think we are less for their passing. We went there to sit around on the hoods of our cars with our friends, and, hopefully, hook up with some new friends. It was a social atmosphere impossible to describe to today's generation. Today's drive-ins can't even begin to compare with them.

So true! The fun part was pulling up in a different area drive in and seeing others kids from other nabes/high schools hanging out. Showing off your car was a major part of the ritual too. :P I still remember it was always courteous to simply turn your head lights on & off to get the carhops attention, honking wasn't only rude it was embarassing. It's the outdoor juke box I still miss.

PS, everytime I see a rerun of American Graffiti it makes me want to get in the car and look for a Prince's for a Seafood Basket.

Filio... You are so right! In the 50's, when we were without a date, we guys would hop in one of our cars and cruise Main from downtown to Stuart's several times. There was always the impromtu drag race from one light to the other, and occasionally running into some cruisin' gals without dates. After two or three trips up and down Main, we would retire to Stuart's, where we would hang out on the back row and socialize. There was always someone from out of the area who had heard of somebody at Stuart's having a hot car and would come over to issue a challenge. The competitors would then head out S. Main, past the railroad track underpass to around Hiram Clarke and do their 1/4 mile drag race, and then come back to Stuart's to explain why they won or lost. Many times, girls from the Galena Park, South Houston, Pasadena area would come out to the S. Main Stuart's to "socialize". Best, and just about the only good social times were on Friday or Saturday nights.

The Bill Williams Restaurant on S. Main had a good drive-in, and it was the place to take a date after a movie. Seldom was anybody seen at Bill's without a date. Prince's, across from Stuart's, saw mostly couples and not very many singles.... kind of like Bill Williams, but further out Main.

Those were the days, and I still miss them. I was fortunate to be part of it. Hard to explain the experience to today's generation.

American Graffitti, as Vertigo mentioned, came pretty close to a good portrayal of that era, but it took place a little later... in the early 60's, I think.

The Red Tops have mentioned a few time. The ones in Souther brazoria County started out for aq few years as DQ's but there was a disagrment between the oner and DQ so he changed the name.

Very interesting stuff. I grew up in the 1960s and 70s and still remember many of the drive-in burger joints particularly as I would travel with my family. You folks know that fast food and chain restaurants were much less common 40 and even 30 years ago than they are today.

I have talked to Pasadena people about Trainer's and The Corral. The guy who owned Trainer's also owned several other drive-ins in Pasadena and Baytown as well (I think one of his Baytown spots was also called Trainer's). I thought the Corral was located around Richey and what is now Highway 225.

As for cruising, I grew up in Baytown where Texas Ave. was the prime cruising location. In the mid-1970s the city embarked on a "beautification" project that turned Texas Ave. into a winding two-lane street for several blocks from Commerce to Pruett that became known as "The Snake." Cars were forced to go very slowly through this bottleneck which enabled you to really look over the passengers in the oncoming lane. The place was packed tight on Friday and Saturday nights. We met people from Port Arthur, Galena Park, Houston, Pearland, Galveston, all over the area. We also had our own circuit that ran from the Quack Shack on Market Street to Texas Ave., down the Snake to Alexander Dr. (Highway 146) to McDonalds and trhen back in reverse. The Quack Shack was a locally owned drive-in joint that approximated the American Graffitti feel of the 1950s in the 1970s. McDonalds was popular as well because it stayed open later and had a bigger parking lot. Cruising Texas was great, there's even a song about it.

I used to hang out with a gearhead that liked to build cars and a Dean Moriarity-like crazy cat. We'd goad out-of-towners into drag races out on Tri-Cities Beach Road, make a couple of bucks off 'em and then blow it on gas, beer and tacos as we drove aimlessly around looking for girls and trouble. Mind you, this was in the late 1970s when gas was pretty damn expensive.

You folks know that fast food and chain restaurants were much less common 40 and even 30 years ago than they are today.

This is very true! That is why everyone appreciated the fine eating at Prince's. Just as the slogan said "Fit For A King". :D

Phrases like "World famous Deep Fried Shrimp" may have been a little bit of over-advertising but heck it was delicious!

In fact they even cooked "Southern Style Fried Chicken" in a basket. I vaguely remember one summer day as we were heading back from the beach the family stopped at a Drive In eatery where they had outside tables to eat, so you could either eat in the car or sit outside with other families and junk. I just remember biting into the great chicken and feeling the outside breezes going by. Very dream like now. Ok now you all have me craving some of that good old fashioned fast food.

What about the Coca Cola & Root Beer Float's, Sundae's & Banana Splits they were famous for?

floatwithcoke.jpg

Very interesting stuff. I grew up in the 1960s and 70s and still remember many of the drive-in burger joints particularly as I would travel with my family. You folks know that fast food and chain restaurants were much less common 40 and even 30 years ago than they are today. I have talked to Pasadena people about Trainer's and The Corral. The guy who owned Trainer's also owned several other drive-ins in Pasadena and Baytown as well (I think one of his Baytown spots was also called Trainer's).

I thought the Corral was located around Richey and what is now Highway 225.

The Corral was on the old La Porte Road about half a mile west of Richey. Right next door -- I mean RIGHT NEXT DOOR -- to what was then called the Sinclair Refinery. It's now Lyondell. I think. The Corral was popular because it was just inside the Houston city limits and it sold beer.

I never knew that the guy who owned Trainer's owned several other drive-ins. They weren't in Pasadena because there were no other drive-ins that I remember. There was Trainer's, the Corral in Houston, Vicki's in South Houston and that was IT. If there were others, please feel free to refresh my fading old memory.

Galena Park, North Shore, Deer Park, Baytown and La Porte had their drive-ins, but for some reason I don't remember ever going to any of them.

Trainer had drive-ins on Alexander Dr. (146) at Ward where the Kroger is now and Texas Ave. He laso had one on Ward at North Main which he acquired later. I was told he owned others in Pasadena (one on Red Bluff) but I guess they were elsewhere. For awhile Baytown had a Varsity which was modeled on the famous Varsity drive-in in Atlanta.

Deer Park had Charburger on Center Street which is still in business. I'm not sure that it was a drive-in, I think it was.

Anyone remember The Texan drive in? It was located a little north of the Princes on Wayside and across the street. Very close to the bayou. Its parking tents were orange. It closed a few years before Princes changed names.

Anyone remember The Texan drive in? It was located a little north of the Princes on Wayside and across the street. Very close to the bayou. Its parking tents were orange. It closed a few years before Princes changed names.

Imagine there was a time when that area was safe enough to drive in park and enjoy eating without being hassled? I only knew the Stephen's Drive (formerly Prince's?) which I assumed but never knew. Only knew as Stephen's and I for one never knew there was a Drive In rival? across that very section of Wayside. Veeeeery interesting to know.

You all having me thinking of a burger/fries basket now. :P

hamburger%20basket.jpg

• 1 month later...
Vertigo

Unless my memory is shot, I thought the Prince's was on the corner where the Catholic Charismatic Center is today, just east of Finger's. There was another drive in on the other side of the freeway on Cullen as an entrance to UH. That's the one I'm lookin for.

On the other side of the Gulf Freeway across from Prince's Drive-In, was Princess' Drive-In. The story my mother has told over the years is that when the wife divorced from the Prince's owner, she took money from the divorce settlement and built a drive-in across the Gulf Freeway to compete with her ex-husband's drive-in.

On the other side of the Gulf Freeway across from Prince's Drive-In, was Princess' Drive-In. The story my mother has told over the years is that when the wife divorced from the Prince's owner, she took money from the divorce settlement and built a drive-in across the Gulf Freeway to compete with her ex-husband's drive-in.

If memory serves me correctly, the Princess' Drive-In was located on the northwest corner of the intersection of the Gulf Freeway and Cullen.

If memory serves me correctly, the Princess' Drive-In was located on the northwest corner of the intersection of the Gulf Freeway and Cullen.

The white posts for the very tall sign are still imbedded in the ground. You could see this sign plainly as you drove on top of 45. The lady that worked the counter for years is presently working down the street at Mandola's. I am certain she could tell some interesting stories. :D

• 7 months later...

Now here is a good reason to get away from that blasted TV and go to your old time fav restaurant!

This event happens tomorrow! A real trip back in time! :D

<H3 class="post-title entry-title">Swing Has Returned To Prince's Hamburgers! Tuesday, April 7th </H3>

After a long absence, Swing has returned to Prince's Hamburgers! Take a trip back in time to when burgers were huge and juicy, onion rings counted as a full helping of vegetables and could make you stand up and shout, people drank creamy delicious milkshakes, not Aquafina-- and cholesterol did not exist!

princes-hamburgers.jpgSwing the evening away with tunes from Prince's fabulous jukebox, and get re-acquainted with your inner Jitterbug!

Pull out your dancing shoes from 7 to 9 pm on the second Thursday (unless otherwise posted) of each month, and head out to Prince's Hamburgers on the Southwest Freeway at Wesleyan (map)! Be sure to thank the manager, and enjoy a 5% discount during the event by mentioning you're a Swing Dancer!

I remember the Prince's on Cullen and Main very well. The one on Cullen closed around '90. Like Vertigo58, I still have one of the menus hanging up in my kitchen.

The one on Main held on a little longer but it seems like it was history by '95 or so. Now it's a stopping point for the Rail.

I took a photo of the great sign on the Cullen location (a giant hamburger). I need to dig that out.

Archived