The Village Of River Oaks: Senior Living At 1015 S. Shepherd Dr.

I noticed a variance sign at the "curve" on Shepherd just over the overpass at W. Dallas and Shepherd (near Tila's restaurant). There is an existing office building where the sign was. Does anybody know what the plans are for this site? It looks awfully cramped.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

swamplot is reporting that Trammell may have withdrawn their entire plans and also the variances. However, after watching the discussion of the Planning Commission, I did not come to that conclusion, unless after the meeting they made this decision, which would surprise me.

http://swamplot.com/south-shepherd-apartme...awn/2008-07-11/

It should be the first item in this video... link

Also, are variance requests available online?

Edited by lockmat

• 5 years later...

Petitioner came by the in-laws house on Gross St (perpendicular to Alpha St in the diagram) trying to drum up support for blocking this development. He said Gross St and Alpha cannot handle the increased traffic/trucks from the delivery/service access at the back on Alpha.

Those roads are quite narrow and have adjacent drainage ditches.

Does the traffic argument ever fly? I mean, we are a growing city.

We are getting more dense by the second.

Traffic is going to get worse if we are not proactive about it.

Lol, im picturing an old folks stampede down the little Streets. :D

The area is already dense for Houston Standards. It is going to get more dense. We just need to have a traffic in mind plan for the inner loop.

Frankly for the bullseye of the 5th largest metropolitan area (actually 4th, cause #4 has two snake bullseyes) in the country, it is too easy to drive here.

Traffic in Houstons core is really not that bad considering how big we are.

Using the traffic argument for that area is weak

• Like 1

Does the traffic argument ever fly? I mean, we are a growing city.

We are getting more dense by the second.

Traffic is going to get worse if we are not proactive about it.

Lol, im picturing an old folks stampede down the little Streets. :D

The area is already dense for Houston Standards. It is going to get more dense. We just need to have a traffic in mind plan for the inner loop.

Frankly for the bullseye of the 5th largest metropolitan area (actually 4th, cause #4 has two snake bullseyes) in the country, it is too easy to drive here.

Traffic in Houstons core is really not that bad considering how big we are.

Using the traffic argument for that area is weak

All of the above. Ever been to a truly dense city? Trust me, Houston traffic is child's play inside the loop.

• Like 1

All of the above. Ever been to a truly dense city? Trust me, Houston traffic is child's play inside the loop.

What do you mean trust you? Kid I have forgotten more cities than you probably will ever visit. :P

If you care to read what I wrote you will see that what you are trying to school me in is exactly the same thing that I wrote :P

Misread the intention! I meant to highlight all of what you had said as being true :)

I kind of figured, but it was still fun teasing.

What is funny is that the traffic argument is hardly used for poor areas.

What? Poor people don't mind traffic?

The thing is that area is developing fast. Density increases are inevitable that close.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I agree those two buildings are tacky as all hell. Historicism at its worst. However, I will say that the one right on W. Dallas street has really grown on me. It at least has decent proportions and is building that welcomes you to river oaks as drive over the Bayou.

As for the center I guess we wait till we see renderings :P

I also love the earlier posts about the flood of traffic of old people lol. 

Have you seen the back sides of his buildings. The jail on the bayou is more appealing. And that's not saying much. It's like Randall forgets you can see all four sides of a midrise! Argh... The humanity!

Edited by Dakota79

dakota79, said/ on 12 May 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

Like a hospital gown. Showing the butt from behind. Not pretty! Phillip Johnson never did that! Hanover doesn't!

Larry Dierker said "I've seen plenty a pretty butt. But hospital gowns, not so much."

Yes, but we are talking about the backside of a Randall Davis project. You know that ain't pretty!

Edited by Dakota79

Have you seen the back sides of his buildings. The jail on the bayou is more appealing. And that's not saying much. It's like Randall forgets you can see all four sides of a midrise! Argh... The humanity!

Forget about the backside of his buildings...have you seen the front side?

So if you all agree that he puts up schlock why were so many upset when I suggested two of his highrises in Uptown were two too many? He has the worst taste and he's spreading it all over town. Enough already!

• Like 1

After perusing their web site, I've realized that I like most Of Randall Davis' buildings.

And I fear I am the only person on this board with good taste.

Gargoyles dude.

Everybody thinks they have common sense and good taste...

• Like 2