Edge Condominiums At 311 Pierce St.

YakuzaIce

• 2 months later...
it's too bad that this project doesn't include some ground level retail - even a couple corner shops would contribute to a corridor which has proven to be an excellent pedestrian area.

Agreed.

As an aside, perhaps the new residents will be an incentive for someone to open the Deco Diner.

My hunch would be that ground-level retail might not be considered a positive for selling condo units. Retail might be seen by prospective buyers as bringing in additional traffic and noise. Plus the location is somewhat of a side street.

I agree. Not all mid-rise and high-rise buildings can be and should be mixed use. Many mid-rise and high-rise buildings in the midtown areas would be filler. Only the building along major streets will qualify with developers for retail. When space becomes a real premium in the future, you may see more larger retail projects develop.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree how post midtown square has retail right across the street, eventhough i believe it is only one restaurant on the bottom floor. why can't the edge? oh well, they are not losing anyhting. plus isn't the edge right off of a I-45 exit ramp? perfect spot for retail.

Good information.  Glad to see the project moving.

I was by there today. There's a security fence and lots of signs with telephone numbers, but as of yet no groundbreaking. The new Downtown Cathedral lot remained in a similar condition for two years, so I guess what I'm saying is I'll believe it when I see it. I sure hope it happens soon, though. It looks fabulous on its sign.

• 2 months later...

Looks like they are gonna push back the start date again, but at least it finally looks like they will start.

Midtown Condominiums, LLC

4544 Post Oak Place, Suite 392

Houston, Texas 77027

Phone 713.706.4000

Fax 713.963.9954

August 25, 2005

Re: Update to all purchasers at The Edge

At least now we know who starts this acronym crap.  Maybe they should start a new program to rename John Tuschman.  It will be DouBa, short for DoucheBag.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

So true. Here's what I don't get. The area south of downtown, with all of it's shops, restaurants and apartments has a name already: midtown.

And the name "midtown" is already hip, prestigious and trendy.

What a moron.

A new program may commence to call our neighborhood "SoDo" (pronounced "SoDoe"), as in South-of-Downtown. This signature name will identify the uniqueness of our neighborhood with its in-town living style, restaurants, shops, etc., similar to SoHo in London and LoDo in Denver, and HoDo in New York City.

Oh for god's sake. <_< Who are these losers that think that copying neighborhood names denotes "hipness", as opposed to being lame and derivative? Why the sudden big rush in Houston to come up with this type of name? Could we be any more second-rate? I can't imagine that any city with a sense of pride would intentionally try to rename neighborhoods for marketing purposes (OK, we already did with "Uptown").

Can anyone find the email address for these jokers? I'm thinking we need a HAIF letter-writing campaign to talk them out of this nonsense.

Thanks for the link, just sent my email. This kind of thing is so embarrassing for the city.

Of course, I suppose if you want to be technical about it, someone just made up "Midtown" at some point, since it was originally the South End. I thought it was named that because it is between downtown and what was the original "Uptown" around the Med Center and Shamrock.

I received a reply regarding the "SoDo" nonsense from Cynthia Alvardo of the Midtown Mangement District (713-526-7577, cynthiaa@houstonmidtown.com). Apparently I am the only person to have emailed complaints. Oh well.

She also provided information on a meeting about it which she said could be passed along. It's jpeg format, so I can't post it, but to quote:

Dear Neighbor;

You are invited to a meeting to discuss a proposal to promote this area as SoDo, as in South-of-Downtown.  This signature name could make our area more recognized, upscale and unique....

Steven Sessions of SessionGroup advertising will present "signature logo" ideas and marketing proposals. 

The meeting is at Farrago, 302 Gray

Tuesday September 6th from 5:15 to 6:15PM.

RSVP to 713-706-4000

According to an attachment:

The proposed name for the area could be SoDo, and [sic]in "South-of-Downtown".  If we include properties inside the Pierce elevated, "SoDo" would refer to "South Downtown".  Other areas have been SoDo-Midtown, and SoDo-Houston. 

The name would become a signature label for our upscale, unique neighborhood.  The purpose would be to make the area better recognized for it[sic] special and vibrant lifestyle, just as SoHo and HoDo are in Manhattan  (I'm really not making this stuff up.)

The boundaries of "SoDo" are to be defined, but might include the 60 block neighborhood extending from 300 Gray Street seven blocks to the South, three blocks to the West, four blocks to the North, and three blocks to the East.  ....

..MRA and Camden are planning a significant gateway at 1901 Bagby for a northwest Midtown entrance.  We could request "SoDo" also be identified on that signage.

It initially is proposed a two years budget of $100,000 to $150,000 could be funded for promoting this neighborhood name, including perhaps 40% for graphics, signature bollards, and street signage, 35% for media and promotional events, and maybe 25% for a Metro subsidey to attemmpt a small-fee area Trolley line....

These come from John Tuschman,

Fidelity Management Company

4544 Post Oak Place #392

Houston, TX 77027

j.tusch@att.net

This kind of thing just makes me groan. With luck the other business owners will realize how silly this kind of thing is. Where in the world did they come up with the idea that copying a neighborhood name would make the area more "upscale"?

I'm confused. They want to keep Midtown just make it SoDo Midtown, along with SoDo and SoDo Houston? :huh: They really have the boundaries super-defined. Cross the street and you're in a different Do all together. These control freaks need to be stopped.

• Like 1