George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

I remember very well going to the opening. The Goodyear Blimp and the Navy's Blue Angels were there, in addition to some stunt-flying aircraft. It was hot as blazes that day, and we all came home with nice sunburns. I took several reels of Super8mm movies. I need to have them converted to DVD and then figure out how to make them into an internet compatible format.

I remember very well going to the opening. The Goodyear Blimp and the Navy's Blue Angels were there, in addition to some stunt-flying aircraft. It was hot as blazes that day, and we all came home with nice sunburns. I took several reels of Super8mm movies. I need to have them converted to DVD and then figure out how to make them into an internet compatible format.

That is incredible! That footage is probably considered quite news worthy & invaluable now.

As another remembrance during these times, I recall my mom always trying to talk my sister out of flying for Eastern because Cuba was at such odds with the US and that was the prime destination for hi-jackings! Castro was in his prime then. We still have her psychedelic-designed luggage from then too. Totally 60's. :P

Edited by Vertigo58

I made an attempt to locate specific date the airport opened but could not find, was it 1969?

I must say one of the most exciting times for me was going to the Intercontinental airport when it 1st opened. My big sister was a "stewardess" for Eastern Airlines from around 1968-1972. Whenever she was in town we would drive waaaayyyy far from Houston to pick her up at this new airport you always would hear about. Seemed like an eternity to get there but it was well worth it! As a nine year old kid it seemed so exciting to see the big jet planes taxiing down the runways and hearing them fly overhead. The hustle and bustle of the crowd was even more exciting. I recall almost everyone being so well dressed, but what really floored me was the airline staff. They were always dressed so professionally. In those days stewardess's had to be single, no children, beautiful and the right weight. Basically perfect in every way. Luckily I still have my old Eastern Airlines toy plane. Just wondered if any others remember visiting the airport and of other airlines that used to stop over at that time, ie: Pan-Am, etc.

Anyone know where to find pics of official opening?

old_time_04.jpg

I flew into IAH in Nov 1969. That was when we moved here from K.C. Came in on a braniff 727..

That was when all the braniff planes had the funky day glo colors.. I think ours was kind of a

baby doo-doo green.. :/ I didn't see much of it, just where we actually went in the terminal. But I remember

it being nearly brand new.

MK

Heres a few sites with atleast one original pic of the airport from 1969

http://rda.rice.edu/contentimage/general/06galainvite.pdf

http://www.houstonfreeways.com/ebook/Easte...eway_150ppi.pdf

This website is for you airport history buffs out there. Lots of little known and forgotten airports in the Houston area, enjoy.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfie..._Houston_SE.htm

The Sunday, June 8, 1969, edition of the Post said the first flight landed at the airport "shortly after midnight Saturday."

That plane was a Texas International jet carrying dignitaries and reporters.

"The new airport, with two terminals completed, has 40 gate positions. William P. Hobby has only 19 gates," the Post reported.

Ha! We used to do that, too - couldn't be beat for low-cost fun. Even as late as high school, I had a few friends that would occasionally head out there just to ride around and around on the tram. You probably couldn't do something like that now without attracting unwanted attention from Homeland Security.

Thought we were the only ones bored enough to go out there and just ride the train back and forth from A to B at 1AM! Once went to the revolving restaurant on top of the hotel for dinner on prom night. One of our groups dad was an ATC and we got to go up into the tower after dinner. That was fun.

Don't know the year on this PC, but pretty old.

intercontinental01cv0.jpg

This is a picture of Houston International Airport (now William P. Hobby Airport), not Houston Intercontinental Airport.

The International terminal shown was constructed in 1954; judging by the car in the foreground and the newly planted trees, I'd guess this photo was taken at about that time.

This is a picture of Houston International Airport (now William P. Hobby Airport), not Houston Intercontinental Airport.

The International terminal shown was constructed in 1954; judging by the car in the foreground and the newly planted trees, I'd guess this photo was taken at about that time.

Ah, thanks - did u see the b&w one I just uploaded? :)

• 4 months later...

7-27-2007-13.jpg%7Boption%7D

Typical Stewardess attire in the mid 60's. Had to be single, no children and beautiful!

Very common to see these ladies around our NEW Intercontinental Airport. This is my big sister.

Edited by Vertigo58

we would go just to ride the underground tram!

You? Mr. Anti Rail? LOL! Just kidding!

I have always wondered why they named it Bush Intercontinental instead of Bush International airport like all the other airports. I know you guys like stuff in Houston to be different, but in this case it sounds better as international.

You? Mr. Anti Rail? LOL! Just kidding!

I have always wondered why they named it Bush Intercontinental instead of Bush International airport like all the other airports. I know you guys like stuff in Houston to be different, but in this case it sounds better as international.

intercontinental had more of a worldly flavor.

moi anti rail? :)

I have always wondered why they named it Bush Intercontinental instead of Bush International airport like all the other airports.

One reason was the fact that Houston already had an "international" airport. Hobby was called Houston International Airport before they named it for the former Governor. City officials felt that the new and bigger airport needed a "bigger" name. Ergo Houston Intercontinental was born.

It's better than that godawful original name they stuck on that airport in Dallas. It was named Dallas-Fort Worth Inter-Regional Airport. Remember that one?

I remember thinking that the Intercontinental Airport was way too far away from Houston for anyone to want to go there. It seemed so far away as to be in another city; I couldn't understand why they built the airport so far away, lol.

That also reminds me - If Galveston becomes a larger tourist destination than it is now, should Scholes gain commercial aircraft flights? Since Scholes has military flights, I wonder what types of commercial aircraft Scholes can support.

That also reminds me - If Galveston becomes a larger tourist destination than it is now, should Scholes gain commercial aircraft flights? Since Scholes has military flights, I wonder what types of commercial aircraft Scholes can support.

I'd rather see something on the mainland where there's room for expansion. Scholes could take commuter flights and the jet set like London City airport.

I'd rather see something on the mainland where there's room for expansion. Scholes could take commuter flights and the jet set like London City airport.

I picture a London City-esque operation, such as American Eagle flights to Dallas/Fort Worth. If 737s can be supported, Southwest Airlines to Dallas Love could work.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Scholes can support aircraft as big as the Boeing 767, not fully loaded of course.

If Scholes can support a 767, then Southwest Airlines (which has 737s) could start commuter flights from Galveston to Dallas Love, Austin, and/or San Antonio.

This could be in addition to an American Eagle service to DFW.

Edited by VicMan

Just wanted to add my two cents in here:

I took a tour of the 1940 terminal over at Hobby earlier this week. Pretty cool place, but it's a work in progress. I still recommend it.

Anyway, the guy giving me a tour of the place made the first landing at IAH! Great guy with probably a million stories.