George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

As some of you may know, I went on a trip to Atlanta this week (just got back) and flew out of Intercontental Airport. I had not been to Atlanta's airport since 2003, and had kind of forgotten what it looked like. I don't remember the termanal that we flew out of in Houston, but it was old and out of date. It was the one with the cow holding the Texas flag.

You were in Terminal A at IAH. It was renovated, and new concourses were built, starting in about 1997 and being completed around 2002. It is nicer than it used to be, but is still rather basic, with only minimal food options, especially in the North Concourse, which is the one you flew out of if you were flying Delta.

I really didn't think bad of Houston's airport until I got to Atlanta's. When I got off of the flight in Atlanta I saw hundreds of people walking around and it was filled with places to eat. We had to go a long way to get our luggage so we took this thing (I don't know what its called) like a grocery store conver belt at the checkout line. It was really neat, you could walk and it would give you a bust.
IAH Terminals B, C, and E have more variety in food choices than Terminal A. IAH Terminal E puts ATL to shame in this area. Also, those conveyors are simply called "moving sidewalks." We have them at IAH as well, just not in the terminal you flew out of. There are several installations of them in Terminals C, D, and E.
Back in Houston's airport yesterday, I could see the diffrence in quality of the two airports. I was kind of imbarassed at Houston's because one of the people that went with me said that everything is bigger and better in Texas, but this airport is ugly compared to Atlanta's. I tried to defend Houston by saying that they had a airport train like Atlanta's. So I took that peorson down there (had forgotten how ugly it was) and they laughed and said what is this a kidde ride from the 70s.

OK, again, you were flying out of Terminal A at IAH, which is the least busy. Go to Terminals B, C, and E and you'll see the massive numbers of people like you saw at ATL. Also, the underground train at IAH was not designed to connect passengers between flights at a major hub airport like ATL's was. That IAH train dates from the 1960s; ATL's is from the 1980s. However, if you take the TerminaLink train, the above-ground people mover that connects IAH Terminals B, C, D, and E, you'll see a very fast, modern system for moving larger numbers of passengers between terminals. It was opened in two stages, in 1999 and 2005.

I just wish Houston would notice that first impressions are everything. And that there dull airport is in much need of an update for a city of it's size. I wonder is hobby that ugly and untaken care of?

I will tell the rest of my trip in another thread.

Hobby used to be a lot worse, but it is slowly getting better. The new Southwest concourse at Hobby is very nice, but unfortunately several other airlines are still operating out of one of the old concourses.

As for IAH, you need to check out Terminals C and E. E is still very new; it was opened in stages between June 2003 and January 2005. It is a great facility, and is what arriving international passengers on Continental first see. Terminal C has been undergoing an extensive renovation since early 2004 that is nearing completion, and is now looking very nice in the gate areas. IAH Terminals C and E are far nicer than anything at ATL. The terminals at ATL have not seen a major renovation since they were built in the early 1980s, and are really starting to look worn in many areas.

As one of you mentioned above, I notced that Delta does that for Atlanta, so my question is, Why hasen't Continetal done it for Houston?

Uh, Continental financed and built Terminal E at IAH and the renovations to Terminal C that are nearing completion. I can tell from your posts you have not stepped inside much of the IAH terminal facilities in some time. Again, you flew out of the least busy terminal at IAH. Buy a ticket and go inside Terminals B, C, D, and E around 3:00 PM in the afternoon when all of the international flights are just arriving, and the Continental hub is in full connection mode. Your opinion about IAH not being busy will be shattered.

Continental operates over 750 flights a day out of IAH. IAH is the leading US airport for flights to Mexico and Central America, and is served by nine foreign flag carriers. Outside of the Americas, we have flights to Tokyo, Paris (three most days), London (five most days), Amsterdam (three), Taipei, and Karachi. Yes, ATL has more flights, but Delta is a bigger airline than Continental. ATL is also a hub for AirTran, and it's the only major airport serving the Atlanta area. Compare that to Houston, where we have two large airports, both with hub operations.

So, before you get anymore upset over the condition of Houston's airport, keep in mind that you saw one terminal at one of our airports, and you were in the least busy terminal we have. You missed the newest and nicest parts of IAH.

Can you get into E. Is ometimes go to the airport when I have extrra time. D is teh old Mickey Leeland Terminal and E is the new one. You can't get into it unless you have a ticket for a flight there.

You can easily get to Terminal E if you have a ticket for a flight that leaves out of Terminals B, C, D, or E. You can walk between Terminals C, D, and E without ever leaving the secured area, and Terminals B, C, D, and E are all connected behind security by the TerminaLink people mover.

You can technically get to E from the north concourse of A as well, by using the bus transfer service that is operated there to allow passengers on Delta and Colgan/Continental Connection to connect to Continental and Continental Express.

Delta is going bankrupt, and there were some stories saying that Continental might buy them, and move the headquarters here.

Delta is already in bankruptcy. Despite the rumors, it is probably unlikely that Continental will buy them, since Continental has enough problems of its own.

No it's second to Atlanta's. But none of that matters when you have an ugly out of date Airport.

Source please? I understand IAH is second to Atlanta in overall number of destinations, but as to International destinations, I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

The best information I can find re: ATL is from the ATL website, where they said: "With this summer's additions, Delta will serve 66 international destinations in 40 countries from Atlanta." Which means that in the future, they expect to have 66 destinations.

The best information I found re: IAH was from May of last year, when IAH had 68 international destinations (and I'm pretty sure they have added some more since then and will probably add more still between now and the end of this summer.)

Edited by Houston19514

Source please? I understand IAH is second to Atlanta in overall number of destinations, but as to International destinations, I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

The best information I can find re: ATL is from the ATL website, where they said: "With this summer's additions, Delta will serve 66 international destinations in 40 countries from Atlanta." Which means that in the future, they expect to have 66 destinations.

The best information I found re: IAH was from May of last year, when IAH had 68 international destinations (and I'm pretty sure they have added some more since then and will probably add more still between now and the end of this summer.)

IAH does have more nonstop International destination than any other airport in the country. Maybe Citykid didnt understand INTL meant international.........

• 2 weeks later...

Just ran across this update. With the addition of Buenos Aires, IAH now has 73 international destinations.

I think IAH needs the following destinations:

* Rome

* Madrid

* Delhi

* Mumbai

* Dubai

* Cairo

* Beijing

* Shanghai

* Johannesburg

* Dakar or Lagos

* Santiago, Chile

* Sydney

I am glad that Continental is expanding out of IAH. Its nice seeing the airport grow with the city.

* Rome

* Madrid

* Delhi

* Mumbai

* Dubai

* Cairo

* Beijing

* Shanghai

* Johannesburg

* Dakar or Lagos

* Santiago, Chile

* Sydney

I am glad that Continental is expanding out of IAH. Its nice seeing the airport grow with the city.

I have a feeling when the Boeing 787 comes online, you will see these destinations and more from IAH.

I have a feeling when the Boeing 787 comes online, you will see these destinations and more from IAH.

I'm not exactly sure which cities will be available to a 787 from IAH versus the existing 18 777-200ER models. The 787 should get a few hundred extra miles, somewhere in the low 8000 nm range. Of course, just having more aircraft that can fly long distances will help tremendously towards adding destinations. I think Continental has plans to purchase ten 787s at the moment, the only US carrier to do so. However, I'm sure EWR will eat up some of those additional long range flights.

Edited by BWSchultz

You can easily get to Terminal E if you have a ticket for a flight that leaves out of Terminals B, C, D, or E. You can walk between Terminals C, D, and E without ever leaving the secured area, and Terminals B, C, D, and E are all connected behind security by the TerminaLink people mover.

You can technically get to E from the north concourse of A as well, by using the bus transfer service that is operated there to allow passengers on Delta and Colgan/Continental Connection to connect to Continental and Continental Express.

OK, just had to comment on this one....;)

The words easily and Terminal E should not go together. As pretty as the terminal is, it can be a nightmare sometimes. There is nothing quite like spending a long day in another city, only to arrive back at 10pm and pull into gate E20. When you get off the plane and figure out where you are, it makes you want to give up, grab a chair at the gate and just fall asleep there instead of making the trek back to the shuttle buses in Terminal C.

OK, just had to comment on this one....;)

The words easily and Terminal E should not go together. As pretty as the terminal is, it can be a nightmare sometimes. There is nothing quite like spending a long day in another city, only to arrive back at 10pm and pull into gate E20. When you get off the plane and figure out where you are, it makes you want to give up, grab a chair at the gate and just fall asleep there instead of making the trek back to the shuttle buses in Terminal C.

OK, just had to comment on this one.... ;-)

And that constitutes a NIGHTMARE to you? Maybe you'd be happier living in a city like Tulsa. ;-)

OK, just had to comment on this one.... ;-)

And that constitutes a NIGHTMARE to you? Maybe you'd be happier living in a city like Tulsa. ;-)

Nope, would just be happier to have an airport that doesn't require a 20 minute walk from gate to shuttle bus. I don't need pretty, I need functional. In that regard, lil ol Terminal A beats the rest of IAH hands down.

Nope, would just be happier to have an airport that doesn't require a 20 minute walk from gate to shuttle bus. I don't need pretty, I need functional. In that regard, lil ol Terminal A beats the rest of IAH hands down.

Wahh, wahhh, wahhhh. This "nightmare" of yours is entirely within your control. If flying into Terminal E is such a freakin' nightmare then just fly on airlines that fly in and out of Terminal A, or Hobby Airport. Sheesh. I understood that you didn't like the "20 minute walk". With the destinations and flight frequency that living in a big city with a major hub airport affords you, come some inconveniences (relatively minor in this case).

And I return to my main point: if this constitutes a "nightmare" at Bush Intercontinental (the 9th busiest airport in America, 17th busiest in the world), then things must be working pretty darned well.

* Rome

* Madrid

* Delhi

* Mumbai

* Dubai

* Cairo

* Beijing

* Shanghai

* Johannesburg

* Dakar or Lagos

* Santiago, Chile

* Sydney

I think Seoul should be there too :)

What are the odds of having Richard Branson bring the Virgin brand to IAH?

I'm not exactly sure which cities will be available to a 787 from IAH versus the existing 18 777-200ER models. The 787 should get a few hundred extra miles, somewhere in the low 8000 nm range. Of course, just having more aircraft that can fly long distances will help tremendously towards adding destinations. I think Continental has plans to purchase ten 787s at the moment, the only US carrier to do so. However, I'm sure EWR will eat up some of those additional long range flights.

I don't think it's just a matter of having longer range than the currently available aircraft. I think it has more to do with the efficiency and the ultimate cost per available seat. I believe the 787 will be more fuel efficient and generally have a smaller seating capacity than the 777 and thereofore might open up additional international markets for service out of IAH.

Wahh, wahhh, wahhhh. This "nightmare" of yours is entirely within your control. If flying into Terminal E is such a freakin' nightmare then just fly on airlines that fly in and out of Terminal A, or Hobby Airport. Sheesh. I understood that you didn't like the "20 minute walk". With the destinations and flight frequency that living in a big city with a major hub airport affords you, come some inconveniences (relatively minor in this case).

And I return to my main point: if this constitutes a "nightmare" at Bush Intercontinental (the 9th busiest airport in America, 17th busiest in the world), then things must be working pretty darned well.

Do you in fact work for IAH, cause you sure seem intent on defending their honor. Put lipstick on it if you want, but Terminal E is still a pig. Yes, blah, blah, blah, I love Houston, and Continental, blah blah, but I have a right to my own perceptions, and your facts will never penetrate my perception that Terminal E is way too big to not have it's own entrance.

HeightsGuy,

Don't mess with Houston19514.

I got in trouble for calling him out on the "New Downtown Park" thread.

So I do think he works for the city.

Calling me out??? You do live in your own little world there, don't you? One minute you think I work for Mr. Finger and now you think I work for the city... I'm really a double/triple undercover secret agent. I work for both of them AND the CIA.

Do you in fact work for IAH, cause you sure seem intent on defending their honor. Put lipstick on it if you want, but Terminal E is still a pig. Yes, blah, blah, blah, I love Houston, and Continental, blah blah, but I have a right to my own perceptions, and your facts will never penetrate my perception that Terminal E is way too big to not have it's own entrance.

No I do not work for IAH. Why do certain people presume that only those who work for an organization ever defend it or present facts about it? Odd. Very odd.

And yes of course you have the the right to your own perceptions.

And yes, I've seen before that you can be quite impenetrable to facts.

And I also have the right to mock your pereception that a walk from your gate to the shuttle at a major international hub airport (something that is far from an unusual requirement at major international hub airports) is a "nightmare". ;-)

Calling me out??? You do live in your own little world there, don't you? One minute you think I work for Mr. Finger and now you think I work for the city... I'm really a double/triple undercover secret agent. I work for both of them AND the CIA.

No I do not work for IAH. Why do certain people presume that only those who work for an organization ever defend it or present facts about it? Odd. Very odd.

And yes of course you have the the right to your own perceptions.

And yes, I've seen before that you can be quite impenetrable to facts.

And I also have the right to mock your pereception that a walk from your gate to the shuttle at a major international hub airport (something that is far from an unusual requirement at major international hub airports) is a "nightmare". ;-)

OK, then I have the right to assume you're not a business traveler and do not know what it's like to work an 8 hour day in Boston, fight your way to Logan airport in rush hour, jump on a 100% full flight that may or may not depart at 6:55pm because it snows 9 months out of the year in Massachusetts, and arrives in Houston at 10pm. So, yeah, it is a freaken nightmare to have to walk another 20 minutes after that loaded up with a carry-on and laptop.

And, God, I can't believe I'm agreeing with MidtownCoog on something.

Edited by HeightsGuy

OK, then I have the right to assume you're not a business traveler and do not know what it's like to work an 8 hour day in Boston, fight your way to Logan airport in rush hour, jump on a 100% full flight that may or may not depart at 6:55pm because it snows 9 months out of the year in Massachusetts, and arrives in Houston at 10pm. So, yeah, it is a freaken nightmare to have to walk another 20 minutes after that loaded up with a carry-on and laptop.

And, God, I can't believe I'm agreeing with MidtownCoog on something.

Yes, indeed you have the right to ASSUME anything you want. But your assumption would be wrong. I do indeed know that business travel can be a nightmare. I just think it's laughable to call a walk from your gate to the shuttle a nightmare (and I think you need to pick up the pace a little there buddy; I cannot imagine it has ever taken me 20 minues to make that walk). Fighting your way to Logan airport in rush hour, yes, that could be a nightmare. Flying on a 100% full flight can be annoying but I'd say less than nightmare status. Not knowing when or if you might make the flight because of weather etc. can certainly be a nightmare. But a walk from your gate? Get a grip, man. Would you really prefer having to change planes at a hub airport so that you can get to a smaller airport or smaller terminal in order to avoid your nightmare stroll? NOW, we're talking a nightmare... changing planes at a hub, especially late on a day when there are snowstorms around the country.

The facts of life are such that if you are arriving at a major hub airport (not just IAH), chances are pretty good that you might have a long walk from your gate. You guys living in Houston have the luxury of options. If the greatest nightmare of your life is the dreaded walk to the shuttle, quit yer whinin' and fly into Hobby or Terminal A. And here's another useful tool that many experienced business travelers use... carry-ons with WHEELS ;-)

You MIGHT have a reasonable argument that Terminal E should have had its own entrance/exit, but given the property and operational constraints, it's understandable that it does not. For one thing, the primary focus of the design of Terminal E is international arrivals - they of course go through the new FIS building.

Yes, indeed you have the right to ASSUME anything you want. But your assumption would be wrong. I do indeed know that business travel can be a nightmare. I just think it's laughable to call a walk from your gate to the shuttle a nightmare (and I think you need to pick up the pace a little there buddy; I cannot imagine it has ever taken me 20 minues to make that walk). Fighting your way to Logan airport in rush hour, yes, that could be a nightmare. Flying on a 100% full flight can be annoying but I'd say less than nightmare status. Not knowing when or if you might make the flight because of weather etc. can certainly be a nightmare. But a walk from your gate? Get a grip, man. Would you really prefer having to change planes at a hub airport so that you can get to a smaller airport or smaller terminal in order to avoid your nightmare stroll? NOW, we're talking a nightmare... changing planes at a hub, especially late on a day when there are snowstorms around the country.

The facts of life are such that if you are arriving at a major hub airport (not just IAH), chances are pretty good that you might have a long walk from your gate. You guys living in Houston have the luxury of options. If the greatest nightmare of your life is the dreaded walk to the shuttle, quit yer whinin' and fly into Hobby or Terminal A. And here's another useful tool that many experienced business travelers use... carry-ons with WHEELS ;-)

You MIGHT have a reasonable argument that Terminal E should have had its own entrance/exit, but given the property and operational constraints, it's understandable that it does not. For one thing, the primary focus of the design of Terminal E is international arrivals - they of course go through the new FIS building.

You know what Matt Foley, you're right! The next time Continental drops me off at gate E20 at 10pm when they could have just as easily parked at gate E1 since it's 10pm and no other planes are in sight, I'm just gonna turn my frown upside down and pick up the pace just like you say. You're such a motivator.

Now go back to your van by the river and leave me to my dislike of Terminal E.

You know what Matt Foley, you're right! The next time Continental drops me off at gate E20 at 10pm when they could have just as easily parked at gate E1 since it's 10pm and no other planes are in sight, I'm just gonna turn my frown upside down and pick up the pace just like you say. You're such a motivator.

Now go back to your van by the river and leave me to my dislike of Terminal E.

You are obviously determined to be unhappy (and I'm not just referring to Terminal E). It's a shame you are intent on spreading your bile.

You are obviously determined to be unhappy (and I'm not just referring to Terminal E). It's a shame you are intent on spreading your bile.

Wait a minute, that's enough with the passive aggression dude. First of all, you were the one that started it. All I said was I felt the terminal can be a nightmare, which is an allusion by the way. The next thing I know you are bashing me with "whaa whaa's", and then all of a sudden I am spreading bile? Look again at the thread, show me the point where I started bashing you before you started bashing me.

Dude, just because everyone stuck up for you against Coog in the park thread doesn't give you free run on everyone that doesn't agree with your rosy view of the airport. I said iy once and I'll say it a final time. IT IS MY PERCEPTION OF THE TERMINAL. Sorry you don't agree, can we move on please?

Wait a minute, that's enough with the passive aggression dude. First of all, you were the one that started it. All I said was I felt the terminal can be a nightmare, which is an allusion by the way. The next thing I know you are bashing me with "whaa whaa's", and then all of a sudden I am spreading bile? Look again at the thread, show me the point where I started bashing you before you started bashing me.

Dude, just because everyone stuck up for you against Coog in the park thread doesn't give you free run on everyone that doesn't agree with your rosy view of the airport. I said iy once and I'll say it a final time. IT IS MY PERCEPTION OF THE TERMINAL. Sorry you don't agree, can we move on please?

Goodness, unhappy and with a temper too. Who woulda thunk it? Speaking of passive-aggressive...

(1) Who said anything about bashing? I did not accuse you of bashing. Nor do I think I did any bashing. The reference to your spreading bile was about your negative posts that have nothing to contribute, except to try to spread your unhappiness. You demonstrate you are clearly not attempting to contribute to a mutually beneficial conversation by your statements to the effect that you are impenetrable to facts or argument or reasoning. (And we've seen you say this in other threads as well.) (And you have certainly demonstrated that you are indeed impenetrable.) Why would you waste your time here if you are so insistent on being impenetrable, if not to just spread your unhappiness? Fair presumption, no?

(2) You tell us that your statement that "the terminal can be a nightmare" was an "allusion". An allusion to what? That does not even make sense. Perhaps you meant illusion? ;-)

A little perspective, please. That's all I'm saying. If a walk from the gate to the shuttle indeed ranks as a "nightmare" in your life, you must have lived one pampered comfortable life indeed. ;-)