George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

Well Kid, I really could care less if you call BS or not-facts are facts.

Just for "shits and grins" as someone like you might say, I went down into the bowels of Term A Saturday after flying into IAH and meeting with some execs at Cotinental. DId a little tour and one full underground compartment is left and half of the other (one is partially in use due to diverted funds-mainly AA's). Construction was stopped due to some rain, but should be finished and linked into the new system as noted above.

You basically show you have no idea how any airside of an airport works. The fact you did not even know what ops means tells me that. Sorry kiddo. I am just curious as too why it bugs you? Do you have airport issues?

COntinental will not get those anytime soon. Terminal B's landside refurb is actually ahead of schedule (something rare in Aviation construction). edit /link

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Seven Continents Down, None to Go

Yes, indeed, facts are facts. And I can't help but notice that you neither addressed nor contradicted a single one of the facts in my post, to-wit:

The inbound and outbound baggage belts were moved to the new bridges when the new north and south concourses were built. For another, the "basements" were never basements underneath the banjos and were never in the banjo configuration. They were merely tunnels (one to each of the north and south sides I believe). Virtually nothing of the original banjo configuration remains at Terminal A.

And BTW, sweetheart, I know what "ops" means. I was just trying to get you to move beyond the very generalized statements you were feeding us (and continue to feed us). Nothing you have posted in this thread indicates that you have ever been on the "ops" side of an airport or know anything about the "ops" side of Bush Intercontinental. To the contrary, your statements that the banjos had basements and that the basements of the banjos are still there indicate you have never been anywhere near the ops sid of Terminal A.

Just for S's and G's (as someone like you actually did say), let's review a few facts:

Fact: You stated that "Terminal A is the last one that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from teh current "banjo" design. "" (A statement that is clearly, demonstrably, visibly incorrect)

Fact: The city started a major renovation of that facility around 1997. During this time the southwest pod (or "banjo") was demolished and construction started on a new, modern south concourse. This concourse opened in 1999, and shortly after the old southeast pod was demolished. Construction then moved to the north side of the facility, and the new north concourse opened there around 2001/2002. (Terminal B, not Terminal A, still has the banjo design.)

Fact: When called on this misstatement, rather than admitting error, you tried to back and fill by saying that: "I mean Terminal A's servicing below ground is still in the banjo configuration, " which, of course is not anything at all like what you actually wrote, to-wit: "Terminal A is the last one that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from the current banjo design." Tell me, from your vast knowledge and experience of airport ops, have you ever seen "banks of gates" below ground? ;-)

Fact: Terminal A's "servicing below ground" was never in a "banjo configuration." There were no banjo-shaped basements as you suggested. (If you were correct that the underground system was in the banjo configuration, there would surely be four underground compartments, given that there were four banjos. In your latest response/personal attack, you state that "one full underground compartment is left and half of the other," strongly implying that there were only 2, not 4, underground compartments. What happened to the "basements" under the other two banjos, man?

Edited by Houston19514

You know, when i was considering moving to Houston in 2004, i have to admit that i was not impressed with Houston Intercontinental AT ALL. I mean, i live about an hour from Denver so i think the world of Denver's Airport, partly because its the newest in the country. When i arrived in terminal A of IAH, i thought, this airport looks like a 1970s style airport. Dallas- Ft. Worth's airport is really nice too, but not as sleek and shiny as Denver's.

Actually, I like terminal A the best. Yes, it has been updated, but you can still see the original stylistic cues in the ceiling of the ticketing area which are unchanged from the original. But when it comes to convenience terminal A smokes the other terminals. I travel a lot for work and usually fly Continental due to all the direct flights they have. When I go to Denver however, I use Frontier which has a gate in terminal A and leaves at 6:30am and returns at 10pm which gives me a whole day there without having to spend the night. Because it's more or less cut off from the rest of the airport, terminal A is like a small airport by itself. Once I park my car in the garage, it takes less than 15 mins to walk from my car, check in, go through security and get to the gate. Try doing that flying Continental when you have to check in at terminal C and walk a half-mile to a gate in terminal E.

Yes, indeed, facts are facts. And I can't help but notice that you neither addressed nor contradicted a single one of the facts in my post, to-wit:
Actually kid I did, you must be blind if you can't see that- but then again I know several in Houston not a shock.
The inbound and outbound baggage belts were moved to the new bridges when the new north and south concourses were built. For another, the "basements" were never basements underneath the banjos and were never in the banjo configuration. They were merely tunnels (one to each of the north and south sides I believe). Virtually nothing of the original banjo configuration remains at Terminal A.

You are simply wrong. Again, I have been there (saturday as a matter of fact), and know how the airplanes are serviced. I guess the word basement confuses you, try not to go to "semantic" on us just to prove some odd point here.

And BTW, sweetheart, I know what "ops" means. I was just trying to get you to move beyond the very generalized statements you were feeding us (and continue to feed us). Nothing you have posted in this thread indicates that you have ever been on the "ops" side of an airport or know anything about the "ops" side of Bush Intercontinental. To the contrary, your statements that the banjos had basements and that the basements of the banjos are still there indicate you have never been anywhere near the ops sid of Terminal A.

Look, I understand that when people like you, simpletons if you will, do not understand how complicated things work, they try to put down or redirect, but your redirect will not work here. The burden of proof is on you if think the airside carts and belts do not load under that terminal and underground, because as I noted, they do at that location. At this point I don't think you have travelled or ever even been on an airplane if you can't understand (have you?). Do you have questions about aviation, I am always here to answer questions, lord knows I get enough odd ones at airshows and such.

Fact: You stated that "Terminal A is the last one that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from teh current "banjo" design. "" (A statement that is clearly, demonstrably, visibly incorrect)

You are wrong. Do me a favour, open your eyes if you ever go to the airport and fly to Tulsa to see the family, look out from your RJ window (that is the round thing made of glass and plastic). You can see what is still being constructed at Terminal A as the old banjos are fixed. And the plan for terminal B is different so I was correct, sorry. THe way HAS runs their plans lord knows it could change again

Fact: The city started a major renovation of that facility around 1997. During this time the southwest pod (or "banjo") was demolished and construction started on a new, modern south concourse. This concourse opened in 1999, and shortly after the old southeast pod was demolished. Construction then moved to the north side of the facility, and the new north concourse opened there around 2001/2002. (Terminal B, not Terminal A, still has the banjo design.)

I know all that and never said otherwise. I flew in and out of all during those times, many times actually. I even taxied my own T-1 up to terminal A in 2000. All of that above I never contradicted, but thanks for writing it down for us.?!

Fact: When called on this misstatement, rather than admitting error, you tried to back and fill by saying that: "I mean Terminal A's servicing below ground is still in the banjo configuration, " which, of course is not anything at all like what you actually wrote, to-wit: "Terminal A is the last one that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from the current banjo design."

No you simply did not understand and seem to still not understand, I am sorry my first statement confused you, I would type slower if I could HAHA. Terminal A is still being reconstructed into full banks and half of it has the new underground airside servicing while the rest is using the old system. Go read the newest issue of ""Airports" magazine and you can see some pics yourself. You seem to just be focused on what is above ground near the jetways. Well much of the cost of a terminal is actually below ground in the gate servicing and baggage system (some airports do elevate more than others depending on soil and other configuration issues)

Tell me, from your vast knowledge and experience of airport ops, have you ever seen "banks of gates" below ground? ;-)

Yes Atlanta- all of the servicing belts and people walkways are underground, just to name one of literally 100s.

Fact: Terminal A's "servicing below ground" was never in a "banjo configuration." There were no banjo-shaped basements as you suggested. (If you were correct that the underground system was in the banjo configuration, there would surely be four underground compartments, given that there were four banjos.
There were 4, two are completely gone, half of another is gone, and one still exists in the old config

In your latest response/personal attack, you state that "one full underground compartment is left and half of the other," strongly implying that there were only 2, not 4, underground compartments. What happened to the "basements" under the other two banjos, man?

As a said above, two were dug up when the north side was razed in the late 90s, the south side is yet to be done. If you ever pull into the "70s" RJ gates in Terminal B you can see the construction on the A area to fix it (look west). You work the personal attacks, I just point out the facts. Just because you don't understand doesn't faze me. I've been there, done that and gotten the T-shirt more times than I would care to remember. I've flown more in the last 5 years than you will in your entire life, and that is just a fact- I've seen a few more airside terminals than you have. Next time you fly try and pay attention to it and you will see what I mean. Notice where the tugs park and bag belts, and the food trucks and the ____ trucks etc.

HeightsGuy, Terminal A is supposed to be like servicing all the none skyteam domestic airlines (and Air canada since you clear UScustoms in Canada). Co Connection should pull over to B and the remote stands to the North eventually to Keep CO, KLM, Delta, NW and the skyteam folks happy

Capt-AWACS, Your humble teacher

Edited by CaptAWACS

Actually kid I did, you must be blind if you can't see that- but then again I know several in Houston not a shock.

You are simply wrong. Again, I have been there (saturday as a matter of fact), and know how the airplanes are serviced. I guess the word basement confuses you, try not to go to "semantic" on us just to prove some odd point here.

Look, I understand that when people like you, simpletons if you will, do not understand how complicated things work, they try to put down or redirect, but your redirect will not work here. The burden of proof is on you if think the airside carts and belts do not load under that terminal and underground, because as I noted, they do at that location. At this point I don't think you have travelled or ever even been on an airplane if you can't understand (have you?). Do you have questions about aviation, I am always here to answer questions, lord knows I get enough odd ones at airshows and such.

You are wrong. Do me a favour, open your eyes if you ever go to the airport and fly to Tulsa to see the family, look out from your RJ window (that is the round thing made of glass and plastic). You can see what is still being constructed at Terminal A as the old banjos are fixed. And the plan for terminal B is different so I was correct, sorry. THe way HAS runs their plans lord knows it could change again

I know all that and never said otherwise. I flew in and out of all during those times, many times actually. I even taxied my own T-1 up to terminal A in 2000. All of that above I never contradicted, but thanks for writing it down for us.?!

No you simply did not understand and seem to still not understand, I am sorry my first statement confused you, I would type slower if I could HAHA. Terminal A is still being reconstructed into full banks and half of it has the new underground airside servicing while the rest is using the old system. Go read the newest issue of ""Airports" magazine and you can see some pics yourself. You seem to just be focused on what is above ground near the jetways. Well much of the cost of a terminal is actually below ground in the gate servicing and baggage system (some airports do elevate more than others depending on soil and other configuration issues)

Yes Atlanta- all of the servicing belts and people walkways are underground, just to name one of literally 100s.

There were 4, two are completely gone, half of another is gone, and one still exists in the old config

As a said above, two were dug up when the north side was razed in the late 90s, the south side is yet to be done. If you ever pull into the "70s" RJ gates in Terminal B you can see the construction on the A area to fix it (look west). You work the personal attacks, I just point out the facts. Just because you don't understand doesn't faze me. I've been there, done that and gotten the T-shirt more times than I would care to remember. I've flown more in the last 5 years than you will in your entire life, and that is just a fact- I've seen a few more airside terminals than you have. Next time you fly try and pay attention to it and you will see what I mean. Notice where the tugs park and bag belts, and the food trucks and the ____ trucks etc.

HeightsGuy, Terminal A is supposed to be like servicing all the none skyteam domestic airlines (and Air canada since you clear UScustoms in Canada). Co Connection should pull over to B and the remote stands to the North eventually to Keep CO, KLM, Delta, NW and the skyteam folks happy

Capt-AWACS, Your humble teacher

Spin it, man, spin it.

Simple fact: The plan for Terminal B is to remove the banjos and replace them with banks of gates. (See the Master Plan, Terminal Development, Phase I) Thus, very clearly, Terminal B, and not Terminal A, is the "last one that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from teh current "banjo" design."

As to the rest of your rant, I'll let others (including the board moderator) read the thread and determine who has engaged in peronsal attacks.

Spin it, man, spin it.

Simple fact: The plan for Terminal B is to remove the banjos and replace them with banks of gates. (See the Master Plan, Terminal Development, Phase I) Thus, very clearly, Terminal B, and not Terminal A, is the "last one that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from teh current "banjo" design."

As to the rest of your rant, I'll let others (including the board moderator) read the thread and determine who has engaged in peronsal attacks.

Translation, you can't answer my post because you were wrong and put in your place. The defence rests HA.

When Terminal B gets demolished and rebuilt come talk to us (it will be RJ focused and not like A), but that was not the point you made in your previous post. You tried to argue some odd semantics over the word basement and were wrong, sorry kid, maybe next time. I don't need personal attackes, I have facts and they are stubborn little things.

Capt-AWACS, Am I the only one who likes 70$ a barrel oil

Translation, you can't answer my post because you were wrong and put in your place. The defence rests HA.

When Terminal B gets demolished and rebuilt come talk to us (it will be RJ focused and not like A), but that was not the point you made in your previous post. You tried to argue some odd semantics over the word basement and were wrong, sorry kid, maybe next time. I don't need personal attackes, I have facts and they are stubborn little things.

Capt-AWACS, Am I the only one who likes 70$ a barrel oil

<yawn>

If you don't need "personal attackes", why do your posts consist of little BUT peronsal attacks? Please, go look at the Master Plan, Terminal Development, Phase I. I just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that your initial statement (which is what this whole thread is about) was incorrect. Everything that followed is tangential (mostly me presenting my understanding of the facts and you throwing out personal attacks.)

Again, the simple fact, which is, indeed a stubbon thing: The plan for Terminal B is to remove the banjos and replace them with banks of gates. Please, go take a look at the master plan. The fact that they plan for it to be RJ focused is irrelevant. Terminal B is RJ focused now as well. The fact remains that the rj-focused banjos will be removed and replaced with rj-focused banks of gates. Again, please go look at the Master Plan, Terminal Development, Phase I. You will surely understand then that you are mistaken.

For your convenience, here's a link: http://web.houstonairportsystem.org/iahmasterplan/frame.htm

Then click on previous and future meetings:

Then click on Stakeholder Meeting #4:

Scroll down and click on "Terminal Boards"

Scroll down to "Terminal Development - Phase 1"

Edited by Houston19514

<yawn>

If you don't need "personal attackes", why do your posts consist of little BUT peronsal attacks? Please, go look at the Master Plan, Terminal Development, Phase I. I just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that your initial statement (which is what this whole thread is about) was incorrect. Everything that followed is tangential (mostly me presenting my understanding of the facts and you throwing out personal attacks.)

well "teh" spell man I don't know, care to show me any personal attack-please share with the group?

You have shown nothing but a lack of understanding which does not suprise me after reading all of your posts here.

Again, the simple fact, which is, indeed a stubbon thing: The plan for Terminal B is to remove the banjos and replace them with banks of gates. Please, go take a look at the master plan. The fact that they plan for it to be RJ focused is irrelevant. Terminal B is RJ focused now as well. The fact remains that the rj-focused banjos will be removed and replaced with rj-focused banks of gates. Again, please go look at the Master Plan, Terminal Development, Phase I. You will surely understand then that you are mistaken.

So let me get this straight, now your whole point is the terminal B future construction issue and not how airside ops works? Because you spent multiple threads explaining how there could be no underground ops at IAH (I used Atlanta as another exactly you have seemed to ignore), but when your point there is debunked you go back to Terminal B, which I also noted would be changed? Nice attempt at redirect, you still answered no points in my post, which of course addressed every point in you text, funny kiddo.

Heh, I know more about airports than all of you.

And I've been to more than all of you combined, what is your point? Maybe you can explain the baggage system at Atlanta to H-niner here.

Capt-AWACS, Forum Alpha Breeder Male

RJ stands for Regional Jet, that is the most common player for Express Jet (flying under the Continental Express banner) who use Terminal B.

Banks of Gates are basically long rows of boarding areas and jetways, normally in a linear fashion, whereas there are also circles, semi-circles, "banjos" and others. It is a more discriptive term. It is used in some airport planner books (many of my older ones use it re:atlanta)

Capt-AWACS, Have you had sex in a Ford lately

well "teh" spell man I don't know, care to show me any personal attack-please share with the group?

You have shown nothing but a lack of understanding which does not suprise me after reading all of your posts here.

So let me get this straight, now your whole point is the terminal B future construction issue and not how airside ops works? Because you spent multiple threads explaining how there could be no underground ops at IAH (I used Atlanta as another exactly you have seemed to ignore), but when your point there is debunked you go back to Terminal B, which I also noted would be changed? Nice attempt at redirect, you still answered no points in my post, which of course addressed every point in you text, funny kiddo.

And I've been to more than all of you combined, what is your point? Maybe you can explain the baggage system at Atlanta to H-niner here.

Capt-AWACS, Forum Alpha Breeder Male

LOL I can't believe you are actually now attacking me for spelling... my misspellings of the words "teh" and "attackes" were direct quotes from your posts. I wanted to quote you precisely, so I did it by cutting and pasting.

My whole point, all along, has been that Terminal A is not the last terminal that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from the current "banjo" design," as you stated. The truth (the fact, if you will) is that Terminal A has already been redone into banks of gates from the former banjo design (you keep talking about underground systems, the existence of which I am well aware and you keep conveniently ignoring that the topic is "gates" which I have not yet seen in an underground configuration, even in Atlanta... the reason I ignored your comments about the underground portions of the Atlanta airport is that your comments were irrelevant. I had asked if you had ever seen underground gates and you responded by telling me that Atlanta has undergound baggage handling and passageways. Yes, and Seattle has a space needle... ), and Terminal B will be redone into banks of gates from their current banjo design, therefore, by simple deduction, we can see that Terminal B, not A is the last terminal that is to be redone into banks of gates from the current banjo design. Go back to the beginning of our discussion, you will see that was the point from the start. Go to the Master Plan, you will see that I am correct.

And by the way, I never said in any post that IAH has no underground ops.

Now, you are apparently trying to avoid admitting your error by stating that you had also noted Terminal B would be changed. Nice try. You earlier admitted that it would be changed, but in some mysterious "different" plan, which somehow didn't constitute redoing it into banks of gates. As I've stated repeatedly, the plan is there for all to see in the Master Plan. Sure looks like banks of gates to me.

I've been ignoring all of the other statements about the undergound systems, etc etc etc, because, as I said before, it's tangential to the issue of whether Terminal A is the last terminal that will be redone into banks of gates.... I don't see any way for either of us to prove what we believe to be the case regarding the details of the underground systems. I have gotten my information from people who have worked in Terminal A baggage handling, but I have no way to prove it. And you don't have any way to prove what you're saying either. If you do, I'd love to see it. I'm genuinely curious. But, as I said, it's irrelevant to the issue we were discussing

As for pointing out personal attacks, how about these:

"well "teh" spell man..."

"You have shown nothing but a lack of understanding which does not suprise me after reading all of your posts here. "

constant use of you favorites "kiddo" and "kid"

"people like you, simpletons if you will,"

"look out from your RJ window (that is the round thing made of glass and plastic"

"I would type slower if I could HAHA."

"Sorry kiddo. I am just curious as too why it bugs you? Do you have airport issues?"

Well sweatheart as you say let us look at some of posts here-

-""well "teh" spell man...""-

Funny, your mistyping of teh was not in a quote, but how exactly is that a personal attack, explain to all our readers

-"You have shown nothing but a lack of understanding which does not suprise me after reading all of your posts here. "-

All of your posts did show a lack of understanding, you even noted it yourself if your "obtuse" ref. How is a lack of understanding a personal attack? I do not understand heart surgery, but I would not see it as a personal attack if the doc told me so.

-"constant use of you favorites "kiddo" and "kid""-

Kid, I call everyone kid, and have for years, it has long been a favourite of mine, since college.

While you might find something patronising, doing such does not make a personal attack

-""people like you, simpletons if you will,""-

Being a simpleton is not really a pejoritive[sic] but a ephamism for uneducated, which you are on the subject.

-""look out from your RJ window (that is the round thing made of glass and plastic""-

Ditto, where is the profanity or personal attack?????

-""I would type slower if I could HAHA.""-

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the response I gave some moments ago. Many times when speaking in technically jargon people speak too fast, have you never heard of such things?

-""Sorry kiddo. I am just curious as too why it bugs you? Do you have airport issues?""-

And the question stands, why do the unfinshed construction issues at Terminal A bother you, do you have airport issues?

No profanity, attacks on you personally. No casting aspersions [sic]

Well sweatheart as you say let us look at some of posts here-

-""well "teh" spell man...""-

Funny, your mistyping of teh was not in a quote, but how exactly is that a personal attack, explain to all our readers

-"You have shown nothing but a lack of understanding which does not suprise me after reading all of your posts here. "-

All of your posts did show a lack of understanding, you even noted it yourself if your "obtuse" ref. How is a lack of understanding a personal attack? I do not understand heart surgery, but I would not see it as a personal attack if the doc told me so.

-"constant use of you favorites "kiddo" and "kid""-

Kid, I call everyone kid, and have for years, it has long been a favourite of mine, since college.

While you might find something patronising, doing such does not make a personal attack

-""people like you, simpletons if you will,""-

Being a simpleton is not really a pejoritive[sic] but a ephamism for uneducated, which you are on the subject.

-""look out from your RJ window (that is the round thing made of glass and plastic""-

Ditto, where is the profanity or personal attack?????

-""I would type slower if I could HAHA.""-

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the response I gave some moments ago. Many times when speaking in technically jargon people speak too fast, have you never heard of such things?

-""Sorry kiddo. I am just curious as too why it bugs you? Do you have airport issues?""-

And the question stands, why do the unfinshed construction issues at Terminal A bother you, do you have airport issues?

No profanity, attacks on you personally. No casting aspersions [sic]

LOL

I never said "sweatheart" I apologize if I forgot to use a quote mark on an occasion or two. Cutting and pasting does not automatically insert quote marks.

And once again, we see no response whatsoever to the facts and arguments presented in my post

It's been fun, but I have to get to bed to be well-rested as I am preparing to depart tomorrow on a trip to thirty-seven foreign countries on four continents and several sub-continents. Good night and God Bless.

Edited by Houston19514

My whole point, all along, has been that Terminal A is not the last terminal that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from the current "banjo" design," as you stated. The truth (the fact, if you will) is that Terminal A has already been redone into banks of gates from the former banjo design

But again, very simple here, the construction for all of Terminal A is not finished, period dot, why is that so hard for you to understand.

(you keep talking about underground systems, the existence of which I am well aware and you keep conveniently ignoring that the topic is "gates" which I have not yet seen in an underground configuration, even in Atlanta... the reason I ignored your comments about the underground portions of the Atlanta airport is that your comments were irrelevant.

No you were talking about ops, not gates. Go re-read your posts. Obviously, other than a few rare examples, jetway gates do not come out of the ground (there are some rare examples). All of Atlanta's airside ops (on the terminals east of "T") are in basements, something you had issues understanding for multiple posts. Now all of sudden you are an expert on the goings on underneath the airport and airside? LOL

I had asked if you had ever seen underground gates and you responded by telling me that Atlanta has undergound baggage handling and passageways. Yes, and Seattle has a space needle... ), and Terminal B will be redone into banks of gates from their current banjo design, therefore, by simple deduction, we can see that Terminal B, not A is the last terminal that is to be redone into banks of gates from the current banjo design.

And as I noted from my first posts, Terminal B is to be redesigned as well, BUT it is not happening yet, and the plan (as Terminal As did, and at most airports) is being reworked as we speak. I never said Terminal B would not eventually be redone.

Go back to the beginning of our discussion, you will see that was the point from the start. Go to the Master Plan, you will see that I am correct.

I am well aware of the master plan, I helped with Trans plats for it when I interned with the city in 97. You asked many times, in various posts about Terminal A, and my comments about it and its underground construction and reformation. Again, Re-read your posts.

And by the way, I never said in any post that IAH has no underground ops.

No you have just asked what it means for three posts-so if you don't what it means, you still know it happens?

Now, you are apparently trying to avoid admitting your error by stating that you had also noted Terminal B would be changed. Nice try. You earlier admitted that it would be changed, but in some mysterious "different" plan, which somehow didn't constitute redoing it into banks of gates. As I've stated repeatedly, the plan is there for all to see in the Master Plan. Sure looks like banks of gates to me.
I've been ignoring all of the other statements about the undergound systems, etc etc etc, because, as I said before, it's tangential to the issue of whether Terminal A is the last terminal that will be redone into banks of gates....

You ignored them because you asked questions about them, I answered, and they were not the answers you wanted to hear. nothing was tangential when you asked a direct question about it-nice try.

I don't see any way for either of us to prove what we believe to be the case regarding the details of the underground systems. I have gotten my information from people who have worked in Terminal A baggage handling, but I have no way to prove it. And you don't have any way to prove what you're saying either. If you do, I'd love to see it. I'm genuinely curious. But, as I said, it's irrelevant to the issue we were discussing

So let us see, the paragraph before you didn't care about Terminal A, but in this one you say plenty about Terminal A ops and how you talked about it? Okay.... I'll scan some photos when I get back to my home compter this weekend and post them, or email them if you prefer. You can also look if you ever go into Terminal B southside (atTerminal A) and see the construction going on. You can also look at the photos in the current issue of "Airports magazine and see some of the construction. I get my info from actually going places and doing the things I talk about, not heresay [sic]

THe issue you brought up was various questions about Terminal A's underground system after I mentioned it in my post. When Terminal B, looks like Terminal A, call me.

Capt-AWACS, Sarcasm, just another service I offer

LOL

I never said "sweatheart" I apologize if I forgot to use a quote mark on an occasion or two. Cutting and pasting does not automatically insert quote marks.

And once again, we see no response whatsoever to the facts and arguments presented in my post

It's been fun, but I have to get to bed to be well-rested as I am preparing to depart tomorrow on a trip to thirty-seven foreign countries on four continents and several sub-continents. Good night and God Bless.

You said Sweatheart in your post # 38 "And BTW, sweetheart, I know what "ops" means"

How is the crow?

I answered your questions in a seperate post, since they are seperate issues. As for arguments, you admited yourself you ignored those I answered, so you need to take your own advice.

Good trip, I've done that a few times myself. But then again I've lived on 4, been to all seven, have two passports (one Official), and do it for a living ;) . Don't force your religions garbage on those with common sense BTW. Have fun

• 4 weeks later...

I got an e-mail from Continental this week discussing the projects at Terminal A. There is something going on for the next few weeks on the north side of Terminal A, near United and US Airways's current gates, and the Colgan/Continental Connection parking area. The Continental Connection flights will be moving temporarilly to gate A7 (instead of mostly using gate A14) and last night when I arrived home from TYR I noticed that United was using gate A8, which had been a Continental Connection gate. The e-mail didn't specify what was going on, but that it was a temporary change to accomodate a construction project.

It does make sense that Delta would move to the A North Concourse, because right now the Delta/Continental shuttle buses have to stop at both concourses of Terminal A. Moving Delta to the North Concourse consolidates the shuttle bus service into one area for both passengers connecting between Delta and Continental and Continental and Colgan/Continental Connection. Hopefully this will breath a little more life into the usually dead North Concourse as well.

To me it would make sense for Air Canada to move along with United to the A South Concourse. That would put all of the Star Alliance carriers serving A (United, US Airways, Air Canada) in one group of gates.

• 2 weeks later...

In further e-mails, IAH's manager and HAS engineering department have given me more information that, shall we say, "clarifies" some of the (mis)information posted earlier in this thread regarding the reconfiguration of Terminal A:

"When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. This included all electrical, plumbing and fuel systems. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Edited by Houston19514

So, for those keeping score at home...

Terminal A is the last one that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from teh current "banjo" design. Term A is the one that all the "other" non-Continental airlines and partners fly into for domestic (andCanada) flights. It will eventually get "guccied" up

Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet

It is hard to read this any other way than to think that the Cap'n was saying that Terminal A was yet to be redone into banks of gates from the current banjo design. (The word current is key here). This is obviously wrong to anyone who has set foot on IAH property in the last seven years. So, we'll grant that he might have meant that Terminal A is the last, meaning, the final, one that is to be redone into banks of gates (i.e., that Terminal B will not be redone into banks of gates from the current banjo design. Still clearly wrong. Anyone can go to see the IAH Master Plan document, which was just completed within the last couple of months, and, contrary to the Cap'n's claim, is not currently being revised. The Master Plan (which by the way, had not even been thought of in 1997 when the Cap'n claims to have worked on it; he's apparently confused it with the Capital Improvement Program that included the reconfiguration of Terminal A.) clearly calls for redoing Terminal B into banks of gates from the current banjo design.

Stubborn facts: 1

The Cap'n: 0

allow me to clarify 19514- I mean Terminal A's servicing below ground is still in the banjo configuration, which is due to be dug up and reworked over the next ~two years.

Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet

According to the engineering department and manager of IAH, "When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Stubborn facts: 2

When A was refurbed the serving docks that link underground were not all updated. It is projected another 4 million will complete A's transformation from Banjos, and 13 mil for B.

Capt-AWACS, Veni, Vidi, Bibi

"When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Stubborn facts: 3

THe servicing network of hte airport is partially "buried", as Terminal A was partially reconstructed, funds were diverted away from rearranging all of Terminal A's ops. It is quite a sight, I have toured the entire ops side of IAH on several occasions.

Capt-AWACS, No Honey I don't want to meet your parents

"When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Stubborn facts: 4

well I don't know what else to say. Maybe you could think of it like a house having a basement. You move the house, the basement doesn't move unless you dig a new one. If your water heater was in your old basement you need to hook it up to the new location before it works, the same with the baggage loaders, belts, and servicing that was (and still is) in the old config under terminal A.

Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate

"There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Stubborn facts: 5

Sorry those of us in the business know the jargon I guess LOL

Yes some of the baggage is run from the old loaders into the central system, which has not been completely refurbed yet, also several of the tug paths run from the old points in the A terminal banjos. Some of the money was redirected to the new 17/35 runway but it is now funded to complete the refurb. Ditto all of B and the full above ground terminal link connection (not to mention the old people mover refurb that will be done). You can kind of see it if you fly out of hte AA gates, you will see tugs drive "out" after servicing the aricraft airside. All of it should be finished "soon" thus getting A up to snuff, even though it si a forgotten terminal in relation to the other Continental babies and INternational ones.

Capt-AWACS, You better Belize it

"When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. This included all electrical, plumbing and fuel systems. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

and, from the manager of IAH:

"I will give a brief on current construction affecting Terminal A:

• 2 weeks later...

As some of you may know, I went on a trip to Atlanta this week (just got back) and flew out of Intercontental Airport. I had not been to Atlanta's airport since 2003, and had kind of forgotten what it looked like. I don't remember the termanal that we flew out of in Houston, but it was old and out of date. It was the one with the cow holding the Texas flag. I really didn't think bad of Houston's airport until I got to Atlanta's. When I got off of the flight in Atlanta I saw hundreds of people walking around and it was filled with places to eat. We had to go a long way to get our luggage so we took this thing (I don't know what its called) like a grocery store conver belt at the checkout line. It was really neat, you could walk and it would give you a bust. then we decided to take the airpottrain the rest of the way to get to the luggage. The train looked just like a reall subway (really nice), and was crowded with people. We finally got to the luggage area and crowds of people where going up to that area. It felt like I was in a big inportant city. We were then able to catch the MARTA from the airpot into downtown at a cost of only $1.75.

Back in Houston's airport yesterday, I could see the diffrence in quality of the two airports. I was kind of imbarassed at Houston's because one of the people that went with me said that everything is bigger and better in Texas, but this airport is ugly compared to Atlanta's. I tried to defend Houston by saying that they had a airport train like Atlanta's. So I took that peorson down there (had forgotten how ugly it was) and they laughed and said what is this a kidde ride from the 70s. I was mad an wondered why Houston had let it's airport go like that. The train did a bunce of unnessesary turns and only had room for about 8-10 people. Trying to defend Houston agian I made up a story about how all of this is about to be torn down and built with all of the ammenities that Atlanta's airport had. I even said that Houston METRO will run there Rail line to the airport like MATRA's is.

I just wish Houston would notice that first impressions are everything. And that there dull airport is in much need of an update for a city of it's size. I wonder is hobby that ugly and untaken care of?

I will tell the rest of my trip in another thread.

You're comparing Hobby to Hartsfield?!!!

What a....Oh, never mind. Citykid, you are priceless. :huh:

Oh, and thanks for the warning about the Propatlantaganda. I'll take a week or so off from HAIF.

I was at Bush, not Hobby. And I think the IAH needs a name change also. I think HOU should be the name of the big airport and change Hobbys to something else. Mabe even switch the maine names of the airports I would like to see IAH as Hobby International Airport, With the initals of HOU. And eleminate the old Hobby airport add on to the newlly Named IAH and have all flights out of there.

As one of you mentioned above, I notced that Delta does that for Atlanta, so my question is, Why hasen't Continetal done it for Houston? And why hasn't American Arilines and SouthWest done it for Dallas Fort Worth? Dallas could have the greatest airport in the world.

I wonder what will happen if someone buys Delta and move the headquartes to another city, Will Atlanta still have the worlds bussiest airport?

I was at Bush, not Hobby. And I think the IAH needs a name change also. I think HOU should be the name of the big airport and change Hobbys to something else. Mabe even switch the maine names of the airports I would like to see IAH as Hobby International Airport, With the initals of HOU. And eleminate the old Hobby airport add on to the newlly Named IAH and have all flights out of there.

As one of you mentioned above, I notced that Delta does that for Atlanta, so my question is, Why hasen't Continetal done it for Houston? And why hasn't American Arilines and SouthWest done it for Dallas Fort Worth? Dallas could have the greatest airport in the world.

I wonder what will happen if someone buys Delta and move the headquartes to another city, Will Atlanta still have the worlds bussiest airport?

Heres one for you, IAH has the most non stop INTL destinations out of any airport in the country, and thats mainly thanks to Continental :)

Heres one for you, IAH has the most non stop INTL destinations out of any airport in the country, and thats mainly thanks to Continental :)

No it's second to Atlanta's. But none of that matters when you have an ugly out of date Airport.

Guest Plastic

Can you get into E. Is ometimes go to the airport when I have extrra time. D is teh old Mickey Leeland Terminal and E is the new one. You can't get into it unless you have a ticket for a flight there.