Countdown to Firefox 3

Two things that I want in (Mac) Safari that still aren't here: keywords and ability to keep me logged in to my iGoogle homepage.

1) I might be the only one that uses them, but I really like keywords for bookmarks. I like to be able to quickly type in a few letters or a word and have it go to my Web page without having to scroll through links in my bookmarks. FF has it but not Safari

2) Okay, this one might just be a silly thing, but I like to stay logged in to my iGoogle homepage. Firefox does it and will always return me to my iGoogle customized homepage, but Safari thinks this is a security risk (?) and I have to login each time.

And while I am on this kick, Mozilla is having a HUGE launch party for Firefox 3.

Check it out here:

sns_badge1_en.png

How does they keyword thing work?

In the properties of the bookmark you can add various data. If there is a site you use frequently you can just give it a keyword that you type in the address bar and hit enter.

Note: In FF3 that feature is kinda obsolete since it has smart bookmarks and autocomplete. It works better than keywords actually.

Two things that I want in (Mac) Safari that still aren't here: keywords and ability to keep me logged in to my iGoogle homepage.

1) I might be the only one that uses them, but I really like keywords for bookmarks. I like to be able to quickly type in a few letters or a word and have it go to my Web page without having to scroll through links in my bookmarks. FF has it but not Safari

2) Okay, this one might just be a silly thing, but I like to stay logged in to my iGoogle homepage. Firefox does it and will always return me to my iGoogle customized homepage, but Safari thinks this is a security risk (?) and I have to login each time.

And while I am on this kick, Mozilla is having a HUGE launch party for Firefox 3.

Check it out here:

sns_badge1_en.png

I hadn't heard about the keywords feature. Sounds interesting. Very good for CLI people.

The login thing I have a problem with on both Safari and Firefox. I assumed it was a Google decision.

I hadn't heard about the keywords feature. Sounds interesting. Very good for CLI people.

The login thing I have a problem with on both Safari and Firefox. I assumed it was a Google decision.

CLI?

Yeah, the iGoogle thing works beautifully for me on FF (Mac or PC) but Safari doesn't do the same. I ALWAYS have to login.

With iGoogle being my 'home page' when the browser starts, it makes it a pain.

Oh yeah, another really cool feature of FF3 is how you can expand the text on a page. In the old version when you did CMND + the text would expand each time you hit it. Eventually, text would just become a mess and lose formatting. Now if you do it, the whole page expands.

Very nice with those of us with aging eyes and small laptop screens.

CLI?

Command Line Interface -- old school green (or amber) text on a black screen. That's how I have mine set up.

Oh yeah, another really cool feature of FF3 is how you can expand the text on a page. In the old version when you did CMND + the text would expand each time you hit it. Eventually, text would just become a mess and lose formatting. Now if you do it, the whole page expands.

Very nice with those of us with aging eyes and small laptop screens.

Yeah, that's a nice feature. I believe I read recently that it's in the next version of Safari. Or at least it's part of WebKit which usually means it's in the next version of Safari. I don't know when that will come out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in July.

I am trying to download it and it seems their servers have fried. I am an avid FF user so I will come back, but what about people I have convinced to give it a shot...? Not sure they will come back.

This is inexcusable.

I think you're a bit too harsh about it. I'm sure they were prepared for the onslaught, but even other large corporations get hammered during big news events or whatever.

That or someone decided to do a DOS attack on this very day. I'm going to try to get it again tomorrow.

I think you're a bit too harsh about it. I'm sure they were prepared for the onslaught, but even other large corporations get hammered during big news events or whatever.

That or someone decided to do a DOS attack on this very day. I'm going to try to get it again tomorrow.

I can forgive them ... as I said, I am avid user of FF and can't live without it. But I told others about it and they have tried and the servers are not responding.

They are not as techie as me and are basically trying it because of my suggestions. I am not sure they will try again (and I couldn't blame them).

I downloaded it. I'm glad that visually it finally looks like a Mac application and not some Windows/Linux chimera. Speed doesn't seem any different than what I'm used to with Safari, but it might be more noticeable on older hardware.

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

The speed thing is interesting to me because I've seem more than once today the claim that the new Firefox is 3x faster than Safari. But I don't think it's any faster. The Wall Street Journal did a little benchmark and found that when opening 36 web pages Firefox is only a few seconds faster than Safari.

But then again, it could be hardware that makes the difference.

I downloaded it. I'm glad that visually it finally looks like a Mac application and not some Windows/Linux chimera. Speed doesn't seem any different than what I'm used to with Safari, but it might be more noticeable on older hardware.

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

The speed thing is interesting to me because I've seem more than once today the claim that the new Firefox is 3x faster than Safari. But I don't think it's any faster. The Wall Street Journal did a little benchmark and found that when opening 36 web pages Firefox is only a few seconds faster than Safari.

But then again, it could be hardware that makes the difference.

Yeah, I was already running the beta, but I did want the final release and did want my download to count (guess I should go and print out my certificate huh?). I like many of the newer features, but I wouldn't say it is a Safari slayer in terms of speed.

I like the fact that it does look more Mac-like too, but it seems the PC version is a step backwards in design. It is just ... ugly.

Anyhow, I wonder why they didn't take the chance to update the dock icon?

Speaking of Firefox...I just stumbled across what is pretty much the coolest thing ever. Well, maybe if it's a slow day at work: Link

Never been much of a gamer. But they look cool and since you can play them in the browser, that is a plus for those at work (hehehehe).

I was glad they delivered the Del.icio.us add on. I am not an add-on freak as I feel that adding too many bogs down the browser.

But I love the del.icio.us one.

This just in:

From: http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldre...amp;aid=2593091

Thanks to the support of the always amazing Mozilla community, we got more than 8 million Firefox 3 downloads in 24 hours. That

I downloaded it the other day and so far am liking some of the new features. The integrated spell checking that checks as you type is a nice touch. And I've done some side-by-side comparisons to IE 7 and Firefox 3 is much faster at loading web pages for many of the sites I frequent. I am surprised at how much it looks like IE 7. I expected the look and feel of the browser to be a little more exciting.

Archived