Golfcrest Country Club

rps324

Does any one have any old pictures/postcards, etc. of the original Golfcrest Country Club? I know it was over off of Telephone Road and a stadium was built where it used to stand. At the back of the school property is what appears to be the old original club house.

If you look past the abuse, neglect and a few insensitive alterations, there appears to be a once elegant 1920's style Spanish club house with tile roof accents, stucco walls and palladium windows. I would love to see a pic of what that looked like in its hey-day.

If I get by there I will try to remember to bring my camera and get a pic of the building.

I was a memeber of Golfcrest Country Club for several years back in the nineties. I can tell you they have quite few pictures of the original club house around the club. The best one I remember was in the mens locker room right by the outside exit door. Golfcrest opened in 1926 at it's original location and was I think the third oldest course in town. It moved in 1971 to its current location in Pearland. There are still a few of the members from the original site still kicking around the club. Many moved to Pearland to be near the course. My dream in retirement is to live in a patio home across from the course and have a golf cart to drive across the street to the club whenever I want to.

I would really like to see a picture/postcard of the original Golfcrest Country Club. Never ran across one, but anything is possible with Ebay. Or HAIF. Somewhere there has to be a pic in a book or a magazine article, like the collection hanging out at Green Tee. It's good to know that remnants of one of the East side CClubs is still standing.

• 3 weeks later...

My photographic skills are very limited, but I took these shots of an old Spanish style building at the site of the old country club. It looks like it was probably something nice in its day. I'm guessing this had to have been the old clubhouse.

Of course you have to look past the abuse and insensitive alterations, etc.,

P6270012.jpg

P6270013.jpg

One of the features of Golfcrest Country Club off Telephone on Simms Bayou before the city built Belfort through, was a large yacht that was used as a clubhouse/bar? That yacht started life as the MV Northwind a sister to the Sequoia, the U.S. Presidential Yacht. The yacht was hauled out of Greens Bayou on a marine rail at the Parker Brothers & Company Shipyard that used to be on Industrial Road accross from the big steel mill. The engines were removed and it was trucked to Golfcrest. The hull was plank mahogany. This is a picture of the yacht on Parker Brothers rail taken by my grandfather (who ran that operation).

Thanks for the wonderful boat pic and story, Happy Historian.

Ran across these aerial shots yesterday of the clubhouse.(Click on each pic to enlarge).You can see the various ponds Brerrabbit talks about in a previous thread.

Link: http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/dmr_resul...d&folder=10

Notice the huge rectangular swimming pool behind the club house.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a photo of the Golfcrest Country Club inside hall showing the culinary personel standing behind a large table of food, they had prepared. My Dad, one of the cooks , is in the photo,and worked at the club from 1937 to 1942. He enlisted in the Navy in 1942 (WWII) The photo is dated December 17,1939. No outside photos. Signed, vi/viv

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v058/AE1997_58_0220.jpg My father's side of the family is linked to that golf course, in some way. Here's a property block book map...guess they donated land for the right-of-way. The old family house still sits across from Tel-Wink Grill. It's hardly recognizable to me, now, but have inherited antiques from the house.

Stalnaker changed to Stanaker during WWII years.

I would love to see the photo u have, vi/viv... glad the main bldg. is still standing.

Oh, and Happy Historian...I think u mean to say (post # 9) the yacht at the Simms Bayou Country Club (is that the proper name? by Garden Villas) What happened to that yacht?

• 1 year later...

You may be right NenaE, I grew up in Garden Villas in the late 1950s to 1970. Saw a lot of area changes - BUT discovered girls somewhere in there and smooth clean lost my mind too!

The yacht was broken up and hauled off sometime in the 1970s after mainly returning to nature.

• 1 month later...

Happy Historian ~ I passed by that spot many times in the 1970's...I remember the horse stables. The yacht may have caught my eye, as well. I can't recall. What a shame. It was a beauty, at one time. Ive seen a photo.

My stepfather went to school with Ralph Wallace, in the late 1960's. RW grew up in GV, went on to become a state representative. I got to tour his childhood home, with nice sunroom in back.

• The title was changed to Golfcrest Country Club

Archived