Willowbend Willow Pool At 10525 Cliffwood Dr.

Does anyone know the exact back story on the Willowbend Willow Pool? It is a quite, green oaisis off Cliffwood, and my understanding is that it has been there since the fifties, however it is not visible on the large arial photo of the Westbury area identified as the early 60's.....

Does anyone know the exact back story on Willow Pool? It is a quite, green oaisis off Cliffwood, and my understanding is that it has been there since the fifties, however it is not visible on the large arial photo of the Westbury area identified as the early 60's.....

From deed records the land was purchased by Willow Pool Inc. from the State of Texas in 1978. I'm not familiar with that private pool, but maybe you could call them and ask what the history is: 713.723.7669

Looking again at the HCAD records, it doesn't appear that Willow Pool Inc. owns that land, only the commercial buildings. Maybe they have a long term lease? It also shows to be in a floodway which I think would prevent anyone from developing that land. Does that area flood regularly?

Looking again at the HCAD records, it doesn't appear that Willow Pool Inc. owns that land, only the commercial buildings. Maybe they have a long term lease? It also shows to be in a floodway which I think would prevent anyone from developing that land. Does that area flood regularly?

it sits on city land, as does the private school that is on the front of the property....I have not seen it flood in long time, but I was wondering more about the early years and story behind the construction...and we love it there too flipper..it is our regular summer vacation :P

According to the archives of the Willow Meadows Civic Association the year Willow Pool was built was 1966. They posted this excerpt from the 1966 meeting minutes in one of their year 2000 newsletters, which is available in PDF format here: Willow Meadows Civic Association Newsletter

Dr. Kaufhold and Mr. Millner presented information about the Willow Pool Corporation. It has leased land across from Willow Park to build a private swimming pool. Membership will be limited to 200 families from the Willow Meadows, Willow Bend, Willow Brook, and South Post Oak subdivisions. The facilities will cost $40,000. The initial fee per family will be $200, and dues will be $50 per year.

I don't know how much more history there is

Does anyone know the exact back story on Willow Pool? It is a quite, green oaisis off Cliffwood, and my understanding is that it has been there since the fifties, however it is not visible on the large arial photo of the Westbury area identified as the early 60's.....

I lived about a mile down Cliffwood, a couple blocks past Belfort. My family joined when it opened. I remember there was some bickering about the family fee, that a family of two paid the same as a family of 8. 1966 sounds right, I clearly remember the Beatles "All You Need is Love" playing at the pool one summer, that would have been 1967. I remember a friend and I checking out the digging of the pool one Sunday, no security, no fences, just walked right up to the big hole.

There were several of these private pools back in the 50's and 60's. I remember being invited to swim parties at the one on Chimney Rock at Westheimer (Briarcroft), Sage Road Country Club between Westheimer and San Felipe, and another one on Voss Rd. just north of Woodway, (can't remember the name of that one).

• 7 years later...

I believe my father, Robert Miller, was one of the neighborhood residents who started the movement to get the pool built. He and a few others aroung the area had parties there quite often. Sometimes we would ride around the neighborhood on the back of a flatbed or on a trailer with music playing advertising upcoming parties. This would have been 66-69 era. We lived on Silverwood as did Dr. Kaufhold.

Jon Miller

• 1 year later...

Hi All , Randy Kaufhold here. So, the history of Willow pool , is as follows, to the best of my memory!

I believe it didnt officially open until 1968, but Dr Jack Westmoreland, Mr.? Milner, and my father, Dr Joseph Kaufhold, were the main people involved in aquirring the land and getting the pool built.My father was the president of the civic club for a few years, around this time period. The leased the land from the city, for I believe, $1.00/yr, for 30 years. Our membership number was #3, milners and westmorelands, 1&2, but dont remember who was who. I remember spending the night at the pool when they were filling it up. We camped out and listened to the water running all night long.I think I spent every day at the pool when it was open. Man, I hated Mondays, because that was the day it was closed for cleaning!One time, some hoodlums, climbed the fence and threw all the chairs and tables and anything else not tied down into the pool, The even pushed a huge ,heavy, turf roller into the deep end. It took a few guys to get it out.Fond memories of my childhood.Also, if you were going to the pool on Friday, make SURE, you didnt go at noon, because thats when the "Friday Noon Whistle"(Emergency Horn,ie, Nuke Alert?), went off, and if you were riding your bike by there it was Really loud!!It was on a pole right by where the Boy Scoust building is, still today. I saw Jon Miller posted earlier. He lived 4 houses down from me. I remember he had a problem ,one time, with his dads Shelby, I beleive a KR500?????????

Thats about all I remember, Hopes this jogs a few memories for the people from back then.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Willowbend Willow Pool At 10525 Cliffwood Dr.