Home At 850 Kuhlman Rd.

BenH

http://www.har.com/HomeValue/dispSoldDetai...;MLNUM=8443340#

This house has a chain link fence up around it right now. Don't know what that means, but probably not good.

850 Kuhlman Road is a vacant lot. I think you may be referring to 705 Kuhlman Road being in danger. The fence is not a good sign. The lot size is over one acre so prepare for something big. With the ever rising cost of utilities, the new residents will wish they had this one back. I have read and heard the trend in new houses is back to the lower ceilings and smaller and dividable rooms. The cathedral type spaces are now unwanted. Any ceiling height over 9' is seen as an energy waster. Also mentioned was the reconfiguration of existing houses with cathedral living rooms. They are walling that space off for media rooms, studies, or a big storage room.

The original owner of this house may have been James H. Stuckey. The 1966 directory listing shows him there over 9 years in 1966. This house has some Jenkins influences. I wonder if he worked on it? Do the diagonal walls seen from the front extend inside? If not, I wonder what those volumes contain? This house has been vacant almost two years. I think it was listed for rent at one point.

hr1643385-1.jpg

hr1643385-2.jpg

I went to the house when it was open one time, and I thought it was a mix between 10111 Cliffwood by Jenkins and The Frame House (well, Frame House influenced). I loved the house but realized it needed lots of work. Still I didn't think it was a teardown. The property is incredible though, so I could see how someone could covet the land.

Jason

From the Memorial Bend website:

floyd_hcart6.jpg

James H. Stuckey, 87, Founder of The Stuckey Co.-- JCK-Jewelers Circular Keystone, 2/23/2007 11:23:00 AM

James H. ("Jim") Stuckey, founder of The Stuckey Company in Houston, Texas, and a leading figure in the jewelry industry, passed away on Feb. 12 after a long illness. He was 87.

Stuckey was born in North Louisiana. After graduating High School at 15, he attended Port Arthur College. At the age of 16, he joined the Merchant Marines as a radio operator. After four years, He accepted the job of navigator/radio operator for Pan Am World Airways.

It was at the age of 27, he transferred to Johannesburg, South Africa, and was working as a part time bookkeeper when his eye and his imagination were caught by the brilliance of diamonds. Something clicked for Stuckey and it was the beginning of a lifelong love affair with diamonds.

He decided to go into the jewelry business and, with a partner, he founded The Stuckey and Speer Co. in 1951, and, later, The Gold Lance Class Ring Co. In 1971, the conglomerate, Beatrice Foods, bought the company and in 1981 Jim Stuckey started the company that bears his name.

Under his guidance and leadership the company grew and became a leading supplier of diamond jewelry to independent retailers. Over the years, The Stuckey Company with Jim

• The title was changed to Home At 850 Kuhlman Rd.

Archived