iPhone 2 Coming July 11th

Well Steve Job has it up on Apple.com already, there are quite a few cool changes in the new software too. And to top that off, the new 2.0 software is free to iPhone owners that already own an iPhone and don't want to buy new hardware, that will be a big plus. So the current iPhone will have all the capibilites with the exception of the 3G chipset and the true GPS. Me I am going for the koolaid again. the bigger hardrive will be cool.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Lot's of new bells and whistles with the new software.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

I will keep my BB Curve (mainly because the office pays for it), but my partner's Blackjack I will be going up on Craigslist. I'm not a big fan of the flat screen to type on, but there are so many cool, powerful, and fun apps that we simply cannot resist!

And cheaper. The maximum price worldwide for the 8GB model is $199. Don't be surprised to see AT&T offer it for free with a two-year contract.

Heck, $199 is worth the price to just have a phone with no contract on a pay-as-you-go plan.

My wife wants the white one (16GB @ $299). I wonder if there will be some kind of upgrade plan. We'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

No subsidies from AT&T.....plus you have to sign a new 2 yr contract.....unlimited data plan also goes up $10 per month to $30...If you bought a current gen iphone after May 27, you can upgrade free if you want to...you now have to activate at the store instead of at home using itunes....

I think the iPhone is a great entertainment phone, but it sorely lacks for corporate use. Exchange support is a good step in that direction, but it still doesn't support the security profiles that a lot of companies are mandating for their employees to have access to corporate e-mail and files via a smart phone. I'm also not a fan of the iPhone keyboard for anything more than short messages. I've tried to learn to like it, but just can't get there. My "real" keyboard on my BlackBerry is much faster, and I can type much more accurately on it without looking where I'm typing. Where iPhone really excels is web browsing, streaming media, and stuff like that, which is great. But it's still not a heavy duty business appliance, and I'm not sure the latest upgrade will get it there. My company uses Exchange, but our IT won't allow anything but BlackBerry Enterprise Server to connect to our Exchange Server when it comes to smart phones. The reason? Because RIM gives them tools to enforce a certain level of security on my smart phone, so that if I lose it or it gets stolen, it's a lot harder for someone to hack into my account and get to my data. iPhone has secure connections to Exchange, but corporate IT has no way of setting policies and enforcing them. So while they could say "You have to password protect your iPhone," they can't force me to do it. Hence, no iPhone support for us.

However, Apple has pushed RIM, and other competitors, to drive up the sexiness of BlackBerries and other business smart phones, as well as add fun features like multi-media support, better graphics, and better web browsing. I saw a preview very recently of the new BlackBerry that's launching this summer, and was impressed. I'll hold out for that, because my phone is very much a part of my job. If it wasn't, I'd probably jump on the iPhone bandwagon. But when it comes to typing 300 word e-mails while I'm sitting on a plane waiting for it to push back from the gate, I'll take my BlackBerry over iPhone 2.0. At the end of the day, iPhone doesn't do nearly as much to help me with my job, especially when I'm traveling.

I think I may try to pick one of the $199 ones, but I still love my Curve. It's just so convenient for me.

And to ssullivan, I as well most definately can't wait for the Blackberry Bold to come out either. =D

Close your eyes... and then try to type on it. I don't need to look at the keyboard when I type, nor do I really need to look at the keys on my LG Voyager when I text... (still getting used to it, but can type almost as fast on it as the keyboard now...)

Anyway, you're right. It's personal taste...

ROTFLMAO :lol::lol::lol: .......Shoot I can't close my eyes and type on any keyboard, if it comes down to that I might as well shoot myself. But for those that can I can see your point.

I think the iPhone is a great entertainment phone, but it sorely lacks for corporate use. Exchange support is a good step in that direction, but it still doesn't support the security profiles that a lot of companies are mandating for their employees to have access to corporate e-mail and files via a smart phone.

I don't work in a corporate environment, so I'm not sure what security policies it's lacking, but the 2.0 software's security is good enough for the U.S. Army to give to soldiers in the field. I don't know any company that needs better security than the U.S. military.

From Apple's site:

----

iPhone 2.0 software supports Cisco IPSec VPN to ensure the highest level of IP-based encryption for transmission of sensitive company information. Employees can authenticate via password, two-factor token, or digital certificate. iPhone also supports WPA2 Enterprise with 802.1X authentication

Now that I am self-employed, I've been needing a PDA/Smartphone ASAP, so for the past two weeks I was quite hopeful that the rumors about immediate availability were true. Alas. I guess I will be waiting another 4 weeks.

Even at $299 the 16GB iPhone seems like a good deal, especially considering that I'm already an AT&T customer (with an expired contract) and both of my computers are Macs and will seamlessly synchronize, but I'm curious about the new Blackberry Bold. It's also supposed to become available around the same time and all of the reviews thus far have been quite positive.

Will indeed probably end up with the iPhone, but I will definitely comparison shop a little bit, at least.

I want one, but I don't want to have the extra sevice fees for it. Why do you have to get the expensive service package when it has wifi and you can get free internet?

You don't have to. Get it on a pay-as-you-go plan. You can also get it on a voice-only plan, but most reps don't know about it. It's mostly for use by the blind, so that may help steer them in the right direction. There is a similar data-only plan for the deaf.

Now that I am self-employed, I've been needing a PDA/Smartphone ASAP, so for the past two weeks I was quite hopeful that the rumors about immediate availability were true. Alas. I guess I will be waiting another 4 weeks.

Even at $299 the 16GB iPhone seems like a good deal, especially considering that I'm already an AT&T customer (with an expired contract) and both of my computers are Macs and will seamlessly synchronize, but I'm curious about the new Blackberry Bold. It's also supposed to become available around the same time and all of the reviews thus far have been quite positive.

Will indeed probably end up with the iPhone, but I will definitely comparison shop a little bit, at least.

I bet now that the iPhone is being released you'll be able to get a pretty sweet deal on pretty much any Blackberry product.

I've read a lot of good speculation about the Bold, too. One thing that bothers me, though, is that even though it has the same screen resolution as the iPhone, it looks like a significantly smaller screen. I haven't been able to find information on the screen's physical size yet.

I looked up the specs at GSM Arena (Blackberry Bold / iPhone 3G) and here are the main differences:

Bold colors: 65 thousand

iPhone colors: 16 million

Bold navigation: trackball

iPhone navigation: touch screen

Bold memory maximum: 8GB (via microSDHC card)

iPhone memory maximum: 16GB (internal)

The Bold has MMS built-in, though that functionality could possibly be added to the iPhone after launch by a third party.

If you have any need for games to kill time, there are a bunch coming out next month for the iPhone. I don't know what the Blackberry gaming scene is like.

If you're going to use it for surfing, there was an interesting demonstration at Monday's announcement. Because of the Safari browser, the iPhone loads pages 30-60% faster than the current top-of-the-line Nokia (N95) or Blackberry phones on the same network. And, naturally, it looks much better.

But there pricing structure is off. If the iPhone 2 is starting at $199 and the iPod Touch is starting at $299 with less capabilities there is a giant weirdness here. I mean, I could pay $199 for the iPhone (and actually thinking I might), but for those that do not WANT (or need) a phone, they will be paying $100 more for less capabilities.

What am I missing?

Has anyone mentioned whether there will be a copy/paste feature on 2.0? I use it daily on my Curve and cannot imagine going without such a basic tool.

I don't think so. At least it hasn't been demonstrated yet.

I love how Apple is always a step ahead yet a step behind at the same time.

That's one sure way to keep people buying. 3G is old hat.

I'm not sure how you can say that HSDPA is "old hat" considering there is no other alternative. Everything else exists only on paper. Are you thinking of Verizon's LTE? It isn't even a ratified standard yet and probably won't be in the field for five years. What do you suggest the iPhone should make phone calls on? We don't get Fairydust Wireless around here.

But there pricing structure is off. If the iPhone 2 is starting at $199 and the iPod Touch is starting at $299 with less capabilities there is a giant weirdness here. I mean, I could pay $199 for the iPhone (and actually thinking I might), but for those that do not WANT (or need) a phone, they will be paying $100 more for less capabilities.

What am I missing?

I wouldn't be surprised if by the time you can actually buy an iPhone the iPod Touch capacities shift from 8/16/32 GB to 16/32/64. That's what happened when the 16GB iPhone came out -- the Touch went from 4/8 to 8/16/32.

Archived