Sign in to follow this  
brijonmang

Galleria Area

What is the name of the twin tower development proposed for the galleria area...i believe it starts w/ an R and i know its elsewhere on this site but ive been looking and cant find it

Yeah thats it...thanks i had a total brain lapse. Is that project gonna get off the ground...or is it just a tease?

they should have built this in midtown. right on the rail line.

I wouldn't. Not until the area cleans up a bit. For example, level the bus station.

I think this fits in nicely with the Galleria area. Any word on start date for this or the Fashion Square projects?

:)

yeah, riva place.

Rivaplace.jpg

i live one block over from this area and haven't seen any activity there as of yet.

:) This is nice.

I hope it actually gets built. Maybe, being built in the Galleria area will prompt the Light Rail to speed up plans to extend to that area.......

THEN........maybe midtown will see the success of such a prestigious complex and build something REALLY nice there........

I would love it if this would spark a friendly (who can build the more beautiful complex) war between Uptown and Midtown. How fun..........and pleasing to the eye........and fantastic for the Houston economy.

m.

Yes, this place is moving forward. I would jump for joy too fast. The first phases will be mostly the retail portions. The towers will be later. Worst case is if the retail doesn't transfer into good profits, it may hinder the residential portions. Although, as long as people will want to live in the proposed towers and put up reservations, they may move forward.

I agree that this would be reall nice in midtown. Possible with the light rail and main street going through it with a current station under it.

Uptown will be a great host to it also. The project will destroy one of the couple of the strip center eyesores in uptown. Strip centers are ok for the burbs, but not as part of the fabric of an urban setting.

the rendering above may not be the same as the wulfe project which is now moving forward. check out this thread.

link

This looks great. Indeed, a lot is going in Uptown: this project,  new development at Fashion Square, expansion of Uptown Park, a new high-rise hotel between Montebello and Villa d' Este and so on. Uptown is going to look a lot different a few years later.

Where exactly is this project going up? Is this the Wulfe project are we talking about two different projects. I am not sure the area can sustain two of these massive projects at the same time.

It is interesting to see all the residential growth in this area. The office product has suffered for year and rental rates lag behind most of the other sub markets in the city. I guess people would rather live in Uptown than work there.

Another interesting fact is that not a single office building has been built in the Galleria in 20 years. I believe Transco (Williams) was the last office tower completed. Maybe all this residential growth will lead to more office development. A few new buildings would really help fill in the "skyline" of uptown.

Where exactly is this project going up?  Is this the Wulfe project are we talking about two different projects.  I am not sure the area can sustain two of these massive projects at the same time. 

It is interesting to see all the residential growth in this area.  The office product has suffered for year and rental rates lag behind most of the other sub markets in the city.  I guess people would rather live in Uptown than work there.   

Another interesting fact is that not a single office building has been built in the Galleria in 20 years.  I believe Transco (Williams) was the last office tower completed.  Maybe all this residential growth will lead to more office development.    A few new buildings would really help fill in the "skyline" of uptown.

Riva Place and Wolfe project are the same although I dont know if Wolfe project would be similar to the rendering of Riva Place or something entirely different. I think this would happen at current location of Pavillions. I may be wrong but the development at Fashion square would be another project but if I am wrong it may be part of whatever would replace Pavillions. Now, I know there is a rumor that the strip mall across Fashion square would also be demolished for yet another project from a rival builder. I dont know what would that be.

You are right, kz. I don't think there is really any indication that the Wolfe project will look anything like the "Riva" renderings, since those were published in connection with an earlier proposal for a redevlopment of the Pavilion by a group called something like "Urban Resort Properties." It seems like Wolfe's plans may not be far enough along to have renderings. I suspect they are shopping their general concept to prospective retail tenants and prospective office, hotel, condo, and apartment developers, and will generate physical plans and renderings once they have a better handle on what is feasible.

You are right, kz.  I don't think there is really any indication that the Wolfe project will look anything like the "Riva" renderings, since those were published in connection with an earlier proposal for a redevlopment of the Pavilion by a group called something like "Urban Resort Properties."  It seems like Wolfe's plans may not be far enough along to have renderings.  I suspect they are shopping their general concept to prospective retail tenants and prospective office, hotel, condo, and apartment developers, and will generate physical plans and renderings once they have a better handle on what is feasible.

Too bad, i really like the Riva look.

but right now almost anything would be a great addition.

Does anyone know what the market is like concerning potential commercial developement? In other words, yeah, build the complex, BUT will it be used or sit half empty?

m.

The real life development probably will not look like that, but I'm sure it will still be pretty cool. They are planning on "several hundred high rise residential units", as well as a hotel, so, this will probably still be a significant addition to the Uptown skyline.

The Riva was a concept. I think it is completely dead now. The Wulfe proposal was in the same concept as the Riva. It will probably not look at all like it. From any article I can find on Wulfes project, it seems like a lot of the chips are falling where they need it. The land and buildings are bought. Any existing retailers are being offered tennant spaces in the new project. Wulfe is also trying to work with them to phase the commercial aspect of the project so that the retailers don't have to be close for extended periods.

The prospects for this project are good enough that a competing developer is trying to do this to the land on the east side of Post Oak (where Lines and Things is).

He wants to build a retail center with residential and possibly office space also.

With their competition (aka piss match), I hope they get moving on building their projects. Anything would be better than what currently occupies these sites in Uptown.

i wonder if wulfe & co will consider the increasing need for pedestrian friendly design in this area. it would be great if the project would embrace the uptown tirz improvements. many new developments do not include direct pedestrian crosswalks and connectors from the sidewalks on the street to their new pedestrian areas.

i wonder if wulfe & co will consider the increasing need for pedestrian friendly design in this area.  it would be great if the project would embrace the uptown tirz improvements.  many new developments do not include direct pedestrian crosswalks and connectors from the sidewalks on the street to their new pedestrian areas.

Bachanon, I totally agree. I work in Post Oak Central (three black Phillip Johnson buildings across from Magiano's). There are plenty of places to eat in the near vacinity of my office, but I never go because I do not want to drive and certainly do not feel like crossing Post Oak. A cross ramp over Post oak would be amazing.

or even the less expensive designated crosswalk with red lights/sensors in highly populated zones. centers that have a large amount of people (post oak central, for instance) contain pedestrians (or potential pedestrians) who do not want to walk to the nearest intersection (which could be quite a distance) to get across the street. in order to create a more concentrated, people friendly area cars will have to "take a back seat". pardon the pun.

At Post Oak and San Felipe they could stripe off the entire intersection and have a 15 to 30 second cyle in the light so where all direction have red lights; then the pedestrians can walk across the intersection in any direction they want.

I think New York has a couple of these. I know they have them in Japan and China.

At Post Oak and San Felipe they could stripe off the entire intersection and have a 15 to 30 second cyle in the light so where all direction have red lights; then the pedestrians can walk across the intersection in any direction they want.

I think New York has a couple of these.  I know they have them in Japan and China.

they have several of these "diagonal crosswalks" in old towne pasadena, ca. they work really well when you have a lot of people.

haven't seen them in nyc...

here's a story on them

How the hell do you guys find this stuff?????

How the hell do you guys find this stuff?????

Ive looked up many of these projects and have yet to find pictures for them - certainly all of you cant work for these developers and the architects involved?

^Welcome to the forum. It's good you found this forum. We all work togeather to find stuff. Newspapers, websites etc. Some people on here know certin people to, and also look around for signs that say coming soon.

i wonder if wulfe & co will consider the increasing need for pedestrian friendly design in this area.  it would be great if the project would embrace the uptown tirz improvements.  many new developments do not include direct pedestrian crosswalks and connectors from the sidewalks on the street to their new pedestrian areas.

The pedestrian will be very well considered. The project is will make Riva Place look like child's play. Seriously, Wulfe's project will be unlike anything we've ever seen in Houston.

^^^

A close source?

Do you have more infor you can give out?

Citykid - I was a member of this forum shortly after it was formed! I stopped checking out posts about 2 years ago, and then decided I would see what everyone was up to.

I was only kidding - but it seems people here know a lot more than just about anywhere else. I assume some of you either work for architectural firms, or developers, or the CITY and get information like this long before others.

Pretty cool. Imagine light rail (oops, BRT) running down the side of it, and that's what you may have in several years.

It's much different from the old one. It's still nice thought, as long as the still build it. here it is:

BoulevardPlace_Lg.jpg

This will be Houston's

Rodeo Drive,

5th Ave,

Etc.

I'll beat that many of the upcale stores in the Galleria move here.

I thought was pretty that I didn't even notice it. It like it will blend in well with the rest of the high rise development in the area.

Also, with the lack of information on the website, I still place this into the distant future catagory. I'm not saying it won't get built, but since not time frame is given we can only wait.

The additional streets through the project fit into the Uptown Districts plan to form a grid withtin the district. The development would be like it's own little city with a city.

..This will be Houston's Rodeo Drive, 5th Ave, Etc.

I don't know.. I can't help but think of Highland Village or River Oaks Shopping Center when you mention Rodeo Drive.

As for 5th Avenue.. Maybe if the Pavillions are built downtown, then we'd have something to compare with - even though it wouldn't even compare in the first place!

why not uptown?

To tell the truth I like uptown better than downtown. I like downtown, but uptown is whats happening. Mabe if downtown had going on what uptown does, I would feel the same about it.

downtown , midtown or nowhere.

I champion density as much as anybody, but I don't understand this view. Uptown Houston is one of the largest collection of office, retail, and residential in the nation. It embodies many of the characteristics we all wish for a downtown district. There are many drawbacks to Uptown of course. It is not pedestrian friendly, and it is a little more spread out than I would like. However, when I see developments such as the ones Wulfe is proposing, I support them.

I think Houston can be a city that supports several districts of density in its borders. I don't think we should look at Uptown gaining at Downtown's expense. If it does not make economic sense to put a development in downtown, then it should not go there. I want vibrant developments, not rotting shells of concrete and glass that will sit vacant. That being said, I think downtown's best days are ahead of it. It may not get the high rise residential we want now, but with better transit options comming to downtown, such as the rail, and better retail options it will come.

If they worked more on mobility in the uptown area I'd like it about 50x better. They should put an underground tram between the galleria and this beast. Hell, I'd use it just to cross westheimer.

it's called decentralization folks. houston has become so decentralized now, that downtown is not even the center of population or activity anymore like traditional cities. the fact that houston is so spread out as far as amenities makes visitors feel that they are in the wrong areas at times as far as entertainment. becaue a city of Houston's size should be more active than it currently is, specifically in the core, and edge cities such as uptown and the tmc kills the potential that downtown could have. i know it's hard to understand if you are not familiar with urban planning or design, but it's the truth.

Lowbrow Posted Today, 02:48 PM

If they worked more on mobility in the uptown area I'd like it about 50x better. They should put an underground tram between the galleria and this beast. Hell, I'd use it just to cross westheimer.

I agree. Don't see too much activity becuase it is spread out, easy transportation(such as a tram) will allow people to make those across uptown moves easier. Maybe get rid of all those parking lots. Put an underground lot or centralized garage(free up that space for retail and or pedestrian traffic), put away the cars so people can walk

InnerLoopOnly Posted Today, 02:47 PM

I think Houston can be a city that supports several districts of density in its borders. I don't think we should look at Uptown gaining at Downtown's expense. If it does not make economic sense to put a development in downtown, then it should not go there. I want vibrant developments, not rotting shells of concrete and glass that will sit vacant. That being said, I think downtown's best days are ahead of it. It may not get the high rise residential we want now, but with better transit options comming to downtown, such as the rail, and better retail options it will come.

Agree with this aswell. I tend to lean more towards Downtown becuase it needs the most help(with retail and residential) and it's cetralized

it's called decentralization folks.  houston has become so decentralized now, that downtown is not even the center of population or activity anymore like traditional cities.  the fact that houston is so spread out as far as amenities makes visitors feel that they are in the wrong areas at times as far as entertainment. becaue a city of Houston's size should be more active than it currently is, specifically in the core, and edge cities such as uptown and the tmc kills the potential that downtown could have.  i know it's hard to understand if you are not familiar with urban planning or design, but it's the truth.

Yeah I know. I tell people all the time. "Houston's great, but you need a car becuase it is so spread out and you need to know where to go"

Golly, that development looks huge, it most be covering more land than I thought. Does it cross San Felipe? I can't see the Verizon store in the pic

Golly, that development looks huge, it most be covering more land than I thought. Does it cross San Felipe? I can't see the Verizon store in the pic

It does look huge. I work just blocks from there(when not deployed). I can't recall What is currently there now? :huh:

i'm not down with notion of midtown or downtown getting all the projects. if this were some podunk town that would be one thing but given that houston is huge, development like this is perfectly fine. i don't want a city of two million to have to congrate to the "village center" for shopping and entertainment.

It does look huge. I work just blocks from there(when not deployed). I can't recall What is currently there now? :huh:

there is a vacant upscale shopping center (pavillion) and another strip center with an eatzies' at the end...which i hope gets incorporated into the new project.