The Original Christmas Store At 8700 South Gessner Rd.

Ptarmigan

EDIT: The Original Christmas Store, I clearly remember their "logo" was of very ornate bold lettering, and a Santa with one finger over his lips as to show it was a secret.

Used to go EVERY year from about 1978 to 1990 or so. Was a very big part of Holiday season growing up. I believe they had 2 stores at one point. Some phenomenal Trees and decorations with music blaring. I remember the first 2 ornaments I bought from there. One, is a Snoopy sleeping on a present that I still use to this day, and an electronic "bird" ornament, it had a couple of different bird calls that would play and was THAT ever a bad idea. Became very annoying and was not used the next Christmas. Used to be a regular Disneyland line coming out of that sucker to get in.

Edited by TJones
  • Like 1

I sure remember that. It was "The Original Christmas Store" and it was a huge place!

I think it moved several time's, with 59 and Gessner being the last location of it. I remember going there more than once on school field trip's, and being lead through the place in a single file line. Then at the end, we would all stop and get a brass ornament engraved with our names on it.

I seem to recall that one of the first location's for it, was in the Town & Country area. ????

Is there still any place like this in Houston?

• Like 1

...and an electronic "bird" ornament, it had a couple of different bird calls that would play and was THAT ever a bad idea. Became very annoying and was not used the next Christmas.

Eeep! Man, that brings back memories. For a few years I had an after-school and weekend job in the Christmas department of a large store. We sold those birds, and we would have to keep them electronically chirping away non-stop. A few hours of that and you would think you were ready to scream!

The 59 and Gessner location is now the site of a 99 cent store. Further west on Gessner it is just a total disaster with the cluster and clusters of low rent and high crime apartments. It is hard to think that such a novelty store was once in that location.

Prior to that they had a store on Bissonett just west of the Boone road intersection. The structure is still there but it has been chopped up internally and divided into a mini-mall of sorts that is indoors. It's mostly small office space. That is also a pretty rough part of town these days.

I went as a kid to both of them in the 80s....great stuff.

• Like 1

Prior to that they had a store on Bissonett just west of the Boone road intersection. The structure is still there but it has been chopped up internally and divided into a mini-mall of sorts that is indoors. It's mostly small office space. That is also a pretty rough part of town these days.

What year would this have been?? :unsure:

I'm thinking the Bingo place and Peanut Patch at Leawood.........There is a rather odd little shopping center on the west side of Leawood, but the parking lot would have never been large enough. Where was it?

• Like 1

What year would this have been?? :unsure:

I'm thinking the Bingo place and Peanut Patch at Leawood.........There is a rather odd little shopping center on the west side of Leawood, but the parking lot would have never been large enough. Where was it?

oops...it was Cook road at Bissonett. Look on google maps...it is the large building on the SW corner. The X-mas store used to be in the center anchor space of that strip mall.

The year was probably 1988 when I was last in that store.

• Like 1

oops...it was Cook road at Bissonett. Look on google maps...it is the large building on the SW corner. The X-mas store used to be in the center anchor space of that strip mall.

The year was probably 1988 when I was last in that store.

Right you are! I had completly forgoten about it ever being there. Link

That would have been after it moved from 59 and Gessner, so this would have actualy been the last location of it. I don't recall ever going in it while it was here, but then again, by this time I was way past the age to enjoy it!

• Like 1

The 59 and Gessner location is now the site of a 99 cent store. Further west on Gessner it is just a total disaster with the cluster and clusters of low rent and high crime apartments. It is hard to think that such a novelty store was once in that location.

Southwest Houston changes a lot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Is there another "The Original Christmas Store" anywhere in the states? Or, does anyone know who owned/ran it? I loved that store. I bought my mother and family lots of beautiful items from there, one of which was a gorgeous white feather Christmas wreath...

Thanks

I don't think it's owned by the same people, but if your ever up near Saginaw, MI pay this place a visit. Bronners

It's several times over the size of "The Original Christmas Store", but far more a store than an attraction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work in the display shop at The Original Christmas Store, we built the animated displays.

It was always fun to go over to the store at 59 & Gessner to repair the displays when they would break down, imagine being subjected to the same tape loop playing Christmas songs, over, and over. :P

They had locations all over the country at one time, I believe they went bankrupt, or shut down most of the stores in the late 80s.

The place was a real zoo, you had to be there to believe it.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to The Original Christmas Store At 8700 South Gessner Rd.