Russo's NY Pizzeria

mrfootball

Tried the new pizza place that opened up in the Cypress area at 1960 & 290. They've got this coal-fired oven that bakes pizza old-school style like some of the famous NY pizza joints. I must say it's pretty darn good pizza - as good and quite possibly better than Candelari's NY Style - thin crust (though Candelari's rules the roost as far as Chicago-style goes). Will definitely make this place a regular stop.

Your experiences were better than mine last night. I didn't realize till I saw the menu that it was the same mediocre food that they serve at any number of the NY Pizzeria locations around the city. The Tortellini Brodo is usually a safe bet, but was awful last night. The broth had no flavor other than that of salty generic seasoning, the chicken was extremely dry, and the presentation was horrible. The garlic bread was pita bread with some garlic salt and parsley flakes thrown on it with a few char marks for good measure. Once again, NO flavor. My girlfriend ended up eating about two bites of her Ceasar salad before wanting to spit it back up. The dressing was horrible.

The waitstaff is new, but they seem to ignore the fact that we had plates piling up on the table, not to mention empty drink cups for 10 minutes or more. Inexcusable for a place that wasn't even busy, new or not.

About the only redeeming thing about the place was that the pizza was halfway decent, however Brothers NY Pizza at Highway 6 and I-10 is infinitly better (and cheaper) than Russo's. I haven't had food this poor in a while, and this place won't be seeing us on a return visit.

I also tried this Russo's Pizzeria. I was not impressed. Same crappy pizza as in their other locations. There was hardly any ingredients on the pizza. Bad service also. I understand that they just opened so I went again to give them a second chance. Again, same overpriced crappy food with bad service. Rather go spend my money on Chili's or Texas Roadhouse. At least Chuy's is coming soon.

I also tried this Russo's Pizzeria. I was not impressed. Same crappy pizza as in their other locations. There was hardly any ingredients on the pizza. Bad service also. I understand that they just opened so I went again to give them a second chance. Again, same overpriced crappy food with bad service. Rather go spend my money on Chili's or Texas Roadhouse. At least Chuy's is coming soon.

Chuy's is already open.

I also tried it and it was good but not great. I lived in Long Island for 25 years so I know a real NY pie. They are trying to be like Lombardi's in NYC. Not even close but still good. The best (non coal) pizza I have had in Houston, that tastes like a normal NY pizza, is Brothers on Mill's and Grant. I would give them (if real NY pizza is a 10) a 7-8 on any day and if the old guy is making the pie as high as 9-10. They don't pile on the cheese which makes the crust really crunchy and their sauce is great. It is the best when they reheat a piece that has been sitting around for a while.

Steve

Archived