Sugar Land?

What can anyone here tell me about the Sugarland area?Almost 3 years ago, my wife and I had twins and started looking for a house - knowing that our apartment wouldn't be big enough for the 4 of us. Now we still have our apartment (being used for storage and a place for our cat) but are living with my Mother until we find a home.We've looking in Houston, Pearland and Friendswood and now after hearing good things about Sugarland, we wanna look there too but first want to know what parts are safer.We're lookin' for a $200,000 - $275,000 home in a safe area with lots of kids for ours to play with. Peace

Here's what I can tell you about Sugar Land:

1. It has a space in it.
  2. It's really boring.
  3. I haven't seen any "un-safe" parts.
  4. There's no mass transit.
  5. The mall is crap.
  6. The open air mall near the real mall is creepy.
  7. It has the best Berryhill I've ever been to.
  8. I have no idea what houses cost.

Here's what I can tell you about Sugar Land:

1. It has a space in it. Meme, is there any geographic area that does not exist in at least three dimensions? Is there a city without space? If so, I'd like to know. It could make for an interesting trip.
  2. It's really boring. I sat in a booth adjacent to Yanni at the Red Lobster. That's not boring at all. In fact, I can't recall ever having been so much at the edge of my seat at a Red Lobster.
  3. I haven't seen any "un-safe" parts. Then you haven't looked hard enough. I wouldn't live adjacent to NALCO Chemical. I also wouldn't live in the neighborhood adjacent to and immediately east of Imperial Sugar. I might invest there, though, on account of that it can't possibly do anything but improve.
  4. There's no mass transit. Park and Ride.
  5. The mall is crap. Not really. It's one of the better malls, actually. Not the Galleria, not Memorial City, and not The Woodlands, but it's also not Sharpstown, Greenspoint, Almeda Mall, Pasadena Town Square, Mall of the Mainland, San Jacinto Mall, or West Oaks Mall.
  6. The open air mall near the real mall is creepy. True.
  7. It has the best Berryhill I've ever been to. Don't know. I don't eat yuppie Mexican if I can avoid it.
  8. I have no idea what houses cost. Depends on the neighborhood. With his budget, he's got lots of options. Sugar Land isn't small. But wait a second...why are you commenting in the first place?

Meme, is there any geographic area that does not exist in at least three dimensions? Is there a city without space? If so, I'd like to know. It could make for an interesting trip.

The name has a space in it.

I sat in a booth adjacent to Yanni at the Red Lobster. That's not boring at all. In fact, I can't recall ever having been so much at the edge of my seat at a Red Lobster.

Not everyone lives in awe of Yanni. Some despise him. If I ate at frozen seafood restaurants, I might even chuck popcorn shrimp at him.

Then you haven't looked hard enough. I wouldn't live adjacent to NALCO Chemical. I also wouldn't live in the neighborhood adjacent to and immediately east of Imperial Sugar. I might invest there, though, on account of that it can't possibly do anything but improve.

What's un-safe in that area? I work near there and it seems very, very safe to me.

Park and Ride.

Sugar Land has no Park & Ride. The closest lot is at the beltway.

Not really. It's one of the better malls, actually. Not the Galleria, not Memorial City, and not The Woodlands, but it's also not Sharpstown, Greenspoint, Almeda Mall, Pasadena Town Square, Mall of the Mainland, San Jacinto Mall, or West Oaks Mall.

Then why is it so empty?

Don't know. I don't eat yuppie Mexican if I can avoid it.

Try it. Most of the locations are crap, but the one in Sugar Land is very tasty for some reason. There's nothing "yuppie" about it. $7 gets you a fish taco, beans, rice, beverage and chips at lunch.

Depends on the neighborhood. With his budget, he's got lots of options. Sugar

Land isn't small. But wait a second...why are you commenting in the first place?

Dude asked?

The name has a space in it.

Oh, ok. Well that was one hell of a schizo answer on my part. Like being shown an ink blot and trying to interpret the white area surrounding it.

Not everyone lives in awe of Yanni. Some despise him. If I ate at frozen seafood restaurants, I might even chuck popcorn shrimp at him.

I didn't know who he was until my companion pointed him out. And yeah, I'm not a big fan either. Nevertheless, he qualifies as a bona-fide curiosity, and I can honestly say (as I did) that I've never been so on the edge of my seat at a Red Lobster before. Never mind the fact that I haven't been in one since sometime during or prior to the mid-90's.

What's un-safe in that area? I work near there and it seems very, very safe to me.

I've driven through a couple of times and not gotten a good vibe. I'm not talking about The Hill area, where the old homes are, but right across Oyster Creek from there, where some run-down low-end 1960s-ish homes sit on tree-less lots.

Sugar Land has no Park & Ride. The closest lot is at the beltway.

I am in error. The P&R is two and a quarter miles to the north. They do have diamond and HOV lanes, however, administered by METRO.

Then why is it so empty?

I shop there...when I need a new shoes or a tie or something before departing from SGR. And I'm not impressed, particularly, but it isn't a bad mall.

Try it. Most of the locations are crap, but the one in Sugar Land is very tasty for some reason. There's nothing "yuppie" about it. $7 gets you a fish taco, beans, rice, beverage and chips at lunch.

Dude. Berryhill Baja Grill. Berryhill. Baja. Grill. Yuppie. If your defense is that the food isn't expensive enough, then that's fine. I'll have to call it downscale yuppie Mexican food. But it is what it is.

Dude asked?

It just doesn't seem like you were trying to be very helpful.

Okay, so unlike the band, the city's name has a space in it (I'm sure the city of "Sugar Land" has been around longer anyway). Over all, I'm just lookin' for a safe and drug/drunk free (if that exits anywhere) area that's not to far from Planet Houston (My wife works in the Galleria area and doesn't wanna have too far to drive).TheNiche said "Depends on the neighborhood. With his budget, he's got lots of options". So I'm gonna ask what those options are. For example, we're lookin' for a 4/5 bedroom 3,000+ sqft house on a 9,000+ sqft lot (we want our kids to have a nice back yard to play in). We DO NOT wanna be in a gated community (those just seem so wrong) and would like to somewhat close to a park, movie theatre and.......well, just somethin' fun for the kids (or their Dad) to do. So about those Options?Like I said before, "We've been looking in Houston, Pearland and Friendswood" but forgot to mention Spring. We're still considering those areas but it seems that places we find are gated (I still say that's wrong), areas with high crime rates and/or lots of sex offenders, drugs, loud bass, the houses were built in the 70s, kids bedrooms are only 10

Okay, so unlike the band, the city's name has a space in it (I'm sure the city of "Sugar Land" has been around longer anyway). Over all, I'm just lookin' for a safe and drug/drunk free (if that exits anywhere) area that's not to far from Planet Houston (My wife works in the Galleria area and doesn't wanna have too far to drive).TheNiche said "Depends on the neighborhood. With his budget, he's got lots of options". So I'm gonna ask what those options are. For example, we're lookin' for a 4/5 bedroom 3,000+ sqft house on a 9,000+ sqft lot (we want our kids to have a nice back yard to play in). We DO NOT wanna be in a gated community (those just seem so wrong) and would like to somewhat close to a park, movie theatre and.......well, just somethin' fun for the kids (or their Dad) to do. So about those Options?Like I said before, "We've been looking in Houston, Pearland and Friendswood" but forgot to mention Spring. We're still considering those areas but it seems that places we find are gated (I still say that's wrong), areas with high crime rates and/or lots of sex offenders, drugs, loud bass, the houses were built in the 70s, kids bedrooms are only 10

Berryhill is yuppie? I hardly think so, that place is cheap crap. Not to mention many of the locations are in suburban malls and strip malls. This is definitely not up to yuppie standards. That's like saying Taco Cabana is yuppie. :)

Mexican food in general cannot really be "yuppie"... unless the restaurant has "Fusion" somewhere in its name, and then maybe.

yup

Berryhill is yuppie? I hardly think so, that place is cheap crap. Not to mention many of the locations are in suburban malls and strip malls. This is definitely not up to yuppie standards. That's like saying Taco Cabana is yuppie. :)

Mexican food in general cannot really be "yuppie"... unless the restaurant has "Fusion" somewhere in its name, and then maybe.

yup

Oh, ok. Well that was one hell of a schizo answer on my part. Like being shown an ink blot and trying to interpret the white area surrounding it.

I actually thought it was funny and LOLed. I didn't get the "space" thing at first either.

Taco Cabana is inconsistent; I'm not really sure where to place them. Sometimes its subjective.

I've yet to see anyone hip, excluding myself of course, in Taco Cabana. There's nothing yuppie about that menu - especially the tobacco flavored salsa de fuego.

But Berryhill also qualifies because it sucks and relies upon its marketing approach to lure in its yuppie clientele.

What the hell are you talking about? I thought you said you'd never been to Berryhill. And what yuppie clientele? I've seen no yuppies in the Sugar Land Berryhill.

What can anyone here tell me about the Sugarland area?Almost 3 years ago, my wife and I had twins and started looking for a house - knowing that our apartment wouldn't be big enough for the 4 of us. Now we still have our apartment (being used for storage and a place for our cat) but are living with my Mother until we find a home.We've looking in Houston, Pearland and Friendswood and now after hearing good things about Sugarland, we wanna look there too but first want to know what parts are safer.We're lookin' for a $200,000 - $275,000 home in a safe area with lots of kids for ours to play with. Peace

I think you should look into the neighborhoods along Sweetwater Blvd and around Clements High School. I'm not sure whether it's in your price range, but I think it's a really nice area that has great parks and trails. It's a few miles from US59 which will become the life blood of your commutes into Houston and is a few miles from the mall. Plus it's an older part of Sugarland with mature trees.

What the hell are you talking about? I thought you said you'd never been to Berryhill. And what yuppie clientele? I've seen no yuppies in the Sugar Land Berryhill.

I don't eat yuppie Mexican if I can avoid it. Sometimes I can't.

I enjoy living in Sugar Land, it has a lot to offer IMO. The mall isn't great but who really cares, I have been to a mall maybe 2 times in the last year. You can shop anywhere. Town Center usually has nice family outing type event right in front of city hall on weekends.

Traffic has really improved in th last 2 years with the near completion of us59. There are lots of open spaces.

Areas that I like that fit your description are:

Sugar Creek: Older established neighborhood. Nice Robert Trent Jones private golf, close to freeway, easy commute to Galleria.

New Territory: Nice homes, trees, open space, adjacent to the more expensive Telfair, pretty much same houses only a little older.

Greatwood: Similar attributes to New Territory with some newer homes, commute might be slightly better than New Teritory depending where you live I suppose. Public golf course wich is pretty nice.

I would think that Greatwood and New Territory have more kids to play with than say Sugar Creek but that is not a scientific analysis.

There are many other great places these are a few of my fav's.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, you've gotten some seriously unhelpful responses here! I can tell you that my husband and I chose Sugar Land even though he works closer to Pearland and Friendswood. We appreciate the zoning in Sugar Land...you won't find a tattoo parlor next to a Kindercare like I saw in Friendswood.

I don't find Sugar Land Town Square to be creepy...we like going there. Ignore the snotty anti-suburb sentiments from Inner Loopers because there are many, many families who choose the suburbs and are completely happy with their decision.

Most of Sugar Land is safe and extremely family friendly. Check out the Awards section of the City of Sugar Land Web site. There may be one or two older and less safe areas but believe me, you would know as soon as you drove into them that they aren't like the rest of Sugar Land.

Several of the schools in Sugar Land are exemplary. GreatSchools.net is my favorite site to research schools and read parent reviews.

If you like organic food, Sugar Land has a new Whole Foods Market...it is nice. It also has Lifetime Fitness with a lot of programming for families. First Colony and New Territory both have nice clubs and community activities for their residents. Lots of sports leagues and stuff like that for the kids.

Good luck finding the best fit for your family!

Wow, you've gotten some seriously unhelpful responses here! I can tell you that my husband and I chose Sugar Land even though he works closer to Pearland and Friendswood. We appreciate the zoning in Sugar Land...you won't find a tattoo parlor next to a Kindercare like I saw in Friendswood.

I gotta stick up for Friendswood here. The KinderCare you refer to is on Bay Area Blvd near Heritage Park and is NOT in the City of Friendswood. It is NOT in the city limits and it is NOT in Friendswood ISD. It is in unincorporated HARRIS county. Also, the city of Friendswood HAS zoning.

• The title was changed to Sugar Land?

Archived