My very first science fiction convention happened at this place back in 81 and it was such a blast. I met every player in Star Trek there as well as a slew of writers I always looked up to. I was 11 at the time and shortly after I heard the hotel was knocked to the ground. I remember liking the inside but all I can really remember was the roof was green. Anyone have any pics that'd like to share?

Wyatt C. Hedrick (often misspelled as Wyatt C. Hendrick)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
I went to the final Saint Patrick's day party there right before it closed. Unfortunately along the way I lost the silver commemorative cups. Needless to say a great and very sentimental evening.

Wow! How lucky, lucky, lucky you are (get it). :lol:

I remember the big hoopla & auctioning off of all items within. Can you recall the exact date or there abouts when all of this happened? It seems like ages ago. I remember them speaking of the china, silverware and showing up to the camera.

I only remember as teens headed to the McClendon Triple Theaters way further down would we pass this neat place up. We just took it for granted and never, ever dreamed it would vanish. Of course others here recall the Shamrock 6 Theaters across the street.

There is another very similar topic on The Shamrock on Haif, perhaps merge? May have been under historic hotels, well maybe not so this one can be solely dedicated to this icon. :)

• Like 1

It would be great to see a photo of the old Shamrock 8 theater as well. Not exactly a famous landmark, but a fond memory.

The Shamrock 6 is discussed in lengthy detail from :blush: and others here on Haif under "Houston's old now gone theaters" or some title like that?

I can think of 2 very memorable events at this theater. The newspaper had announced a movie premiere ala "Hollywood style" at this theater. The public was invited to see the really unknowns an actress named Claire Bloom I think? (help anyone) and I cannot remember the guys name and I cannot even remember the name of the film but her name stands out. Me & kid sis even got cheeselike autographs as they enter on a red carpet. The newspapers must have snapped pics bet it had to be circa 1976-77? There were many people on hand so we all pretended it was Hollywood, chuckle, chuckle.

I dont want to flip our topic but I do know my last remembered film I saw was St. Elmos Fire. Trivia the year?.....ok 1985. Closed & leveled shortly after.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

GLENN MCCARTHY AND SOME OF HIS OTHER OIL MEN FRIENDS CONTRIBUTED LOTS OF MONEY FOR THE SHAMROCK TO BE BUILT..........ITS ASHAME THAT MR. MCCARTHY HASNT BEEN REMEMBERED IN HOUSTON HISTORY

READ CORDUROY ROW....THE LIFE AND TIMES OF GLEN MCCARTHY................HE WAS ONCE KNOWN AS THE BEST WILDCATTER IN THE OIL BUSINESS, ALL IN TEXAS

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My next door friend's dad was an oil man who had some kind of membership to the Shamrock pool, and we were there practically every week during the long hot summers of the mid 50's. It seemed like the biggest pool in the world, and sometimes we were the only ones there! I particularly remember those tall diving platforms-I only went as high as the second one.

Glenn McCarthy had a reputation as a hell raiser-he was the basis for the character of Jett Rink in the movie Giant, from the Edna Ferber novel.

It's a shame they tore it down. Developers have no sense of history.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I found this at the Hillstone/Houston's Restaurant (Kirby@Westpark). I thought it was neat. I wonder how many people notice it or even know the significance of the Shamrock. Anyways, I would sure like one of the bricks. Who knows what will happen to them if the restaurant remodels or closes.

post-4345-0-22175000-1326595625_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I found this at the Hillstone/Houston's Restaurant (Kirby@Westpark). I thought it was neat. I wonder how many people notice it or even know the significance of the Shamrock. Anyways, I would sure like one of the bricks. Who knows what will happen to them if the restaurant remodels or closes.

Interesting find. I believe the bar from the Shamrock still exists somewhere. There was also a bar on Sandman that I think had some Shamrock connection.

On 1/15/2012 at 8:41 AM, Subdude said:

There was also a bar on Sandman that I think had some Shamrock connection.

You're probably thinking of McElroy's, which has the furniture from the Rice Hotel's Old Capitol Club.

http://mcelroyspub.com/mcelroys/index8680.html?area=info&caid=8&page_id=125&thislevel=1

Edited by mkultra25
fixed broken URL
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Greetings !.

I'm usually just lurking around and  leaving the odd  reply but I was looking at google satellite's image of where the Shamrock was and when I went down to the street view I spotted this right across Pressler from the Texas A&M Institute of Biosciences & Technology bldg.

Please do go check 2151 W. Holcombe at google satellite (or wherever)  and tell me if that's a leftover from the Shamrock days....

FYI: I looked all around it, at street level, and there are marble tiles along the bottom of the exterior walls near the sidewalk !....

I don't know whether to be fascinated or a bit creeped out......

Was it supposed to be a combination parking garage AND office or retail space ?

If it is to be kept, I wish they would paint the brick the same color and touch up the lines along the top of the building....(.Looking dirty is part of that Creepy factor, to me.)

Old and possibly abandoned buildings and homes easily give me the heebie jeebies.

Like just Looking at the old Jeff Davis Hospital that sat abandoned with a chain link fence around it....AAaaaaaah.

I was born in Houston and lived there till I married in 1973 and moved to College Station,  where I still live...(Boy has THIS area changed since '73 !)

But I was always coming back down to visit my parents and/or brother.

I know Houston has a bad reputation for destroying landmarks...Foleys downtown, for example.....the Shamrock, of course....I see the Astrodome is still there...I thought that was scheduled for demolition, as well ?

I know there was a nice 2 story house (Georgian?) in Heights or Montrose that was the first home in Houston to be air conditioned, and in spite of groups and petitions trying to save it, the new owner still razed it....

Anyway, does anyone know anything about that (Shamrock?) garage being saved ?

Thanks to anyone with some info.

• Like 1

oh wow! I never knew that was still standing. Thanks for pointing that out. Too bad about the little center with the circle drive. It was a nce design detail. I like the glass panes and details on the side entrance and roof.

post-5666-0-83628600-1413482221_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Glad to know the garage is going to get some renovation !

DeBakey High School...interesting !

Lots more about the Medical Center here, including about the new high school.

(I can't post a link)

Go to Swamplot.com and search:

"Still getting rid of the Shamrock

Debakey High School for Health Professions Will Move to slice of former Shamrock  Hotel site"

Edited by gargoyle_dreams
  • Like 1

Yes, the parking garage is original. There's also a conference center at the foot of it, which was part of the original Shamrock, though according to Swamplot, the conference center (not the garage) will be razed soon.

I think the conference center was once one of the hotel's ballrooms.

• 11 months later...