lockmat

The two "new concept" restaurants they've been mentioning from the start of the project will be from the guys behind Mockingbird's Bistro and Hugo's:

http://houston.cultu...me-celeb-chefs/

Also, in reference to the other buildings that will be going up on the site:

"The developers plan to develop a hotel and another office tower on the remaining land next to the new building."

"Steve Lerner, president of Redstone, says the Post Oak hotel is being carefully considered and will move ahead as soon as financing is secured."

"The second office tower on the Post Oak site probably will be about 20 stories and construction won't start for at least a year or two — after the first tower is leased."

Edited by Golyadkin
  • Like 1

I want to like this building but I just can't seem to. It looks kinda cheap next to the 3 building Post Oak Central complex, which remains such a beauty nearly 4 decades later.

Agreed... Was at a clients office in Uptown yesterday and just think it's bland in comparison to Post Pak central. Hopefully things will change with the eventual addition of the other two towers. At this point I don't care for it.

The two "new concept" restaurants they've been mentioning from the start of the project will be from the guys behind Mockingbird's Bistro and Hugo's:

Also, in reference to the other buildings that will be going up on the site:

"The developers plan to develop a hotel and another office tower on the remaining land next to the new building."

"Steve Lerner, president of Redstone, says the Post Oak hotel is being carefully considered and will move ahead as soon as financing is secured."

"The second office tower on the Post Oak site probably will be about 20 stories and construction won't start for at least a year or two — after the first tower is leased."

Skanska, which is part of a large Swedish multi-national corporation, also is planning a major office tower in downtown Houston. Skanska will demolish the old Houston Club building at 811 Rusk and start a new office tower shortly. Mondshine said the Skanska downtown tower is in the design stage.

Skanska, which is part of a large Swedish multi-national corporation, also is planning a major office tower in downtown Houston. Skanska will demolish the old Houston Club building at 811 Rusk and start a new office tower shortly. Mondshine said the Skanska downtown tower is in the design stage.

Uhhhhhhhhh.......what's this about? Shouldn't it be its own thread? The link doesn't work.

It might be a bit bland, but compared to what was there before - 8 story concrete tower from the 70's - which would you rather have? Plus if it really fills up with all these foodie restaurants like the press releases hint at and becomes a destination for great food - will anyone actually care if it was the world's tallest faux stucco monstrosity?

It might be a bit bland, but compared to what was there before - 8 story concrete tower from the 70's - which would you rather have? Plus if it really fills up with all these foodie restaurants like the press releases hint at and becomes a destination for great food - will anyone actually care if it was the world's tallest faux stucco monstrosity?

No question it's better than the previous building, but it does look bland considering Johnson's towers next door. I'm still remaining cautiously optimistic that it will look better once completed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The first one was from yesterday. The rest are from this afternoon:
DSC_0716_zpsaa18d8f4.jpg

They started putting up the "BBVA COMPASS" sign along the top today:

DSC_0738_zpsbd92dc57.jpg

DSC_0739_zpsbdfbc8a2.jpg

J.J. Abrams style:
DSC_0740_zps00a6f589.jpg

Had to angle this last one oddly so I didn't get the sun completely in the shot making the building just a silhouette. Also, notice that the white wall that surrounded the construction site is mostly gone. They took down a good portion of it yesterday:
DSC_0743_zps14adb6fd.jpg

They've also started repaving Guildford Ct.:
DSC_0734_zps3fe2f687.jpg

Edited by Golyadkin
  • Like 2

This building turned out to be somewhat disappointing. The renderings looked far more urban and cutting edge verses a white box with a small overhang. It looks suburban-ish from the 1980s. Hopefully the will add Phase 2/3 to this.

• Like 2

Really not feeling this thing. 

It's worse because it now blocks a view of the Post Oak Central complex which is still such a stunning beauty with those tight angles and glass.

The end result reminds me of a computer chip from 1984.

• Like 3

Having had to see it everyday since construction began, it's actually grown on me, and I quite like it. I don't like that they left the garage overlooking the Centre at Post Oak bare, but apart from that I like it. I think we should hold final judgement on it until the rest of the site is finished. It looks awkward on its own right now. When the property is fully built up, I think we'll all like it.

• Like 5

I've not heard anything about exact numbers for this building, but given that companies are moving into the Houston and this area in a big way, and that current numbers for office space in Uptown is 90%+ occupancy, and the fact that they've said the next phase will begin when this building is fully leased, I suspect we'll be hearing an announcement regarding the next phase by the end of the year.

They really made a big mistake with the green glass on this job.  From what I am hearing the tenant brokers are really hating on this building.  It sounds like the cut a ton of corners to get this thing built per BBVA's demands and it will probably cost them tenants.

The Skanska building is looking much better than this chunk of blah.

• Like 1

I call this the Bad Romance Building- here's why.

The Lady Gaga song Bad Romance sounds like six different songs all mishmashed into one, like a bunch of people butted heads and wouldn't give in on not having their part included in the song. So, they drew parts out of a hat, stitched it together, and put it on the radio. Pop music consumers ate it up.

This building has all it's different disjointed parts mishmashed together into one building just like Bad Romance. (whoever had the idea of having SIX facades on one building should have been fired from the project!)

I was thinking it looked like a quilt - an architectural quilt made up of scraps from other buildings. I'm not sure that I 'get it', but I will give the architect and the builder some points just for taking a risk. I mean, at least it doesn't look like it was picked out of a catalog. Hopefully, it will work with the rest of the project.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1