Sign in to follow this  
lockmat

The Perennial — BBVA Compass Plaza + Loews Hotel/Apts & Office Tower

i saw this building when i was driving down westpark today on my way home from waco. i agree with most everyone else, it does look pretty good in person and is surprisingly easy to spot in the uptown skyline with the big lettering on the building.

• Like 1

446-unit mixed-use tower by Gables Residential. Manhattan Construction is the GC; construction expected to begin early next year. I'm guessing this is the 2nd phase to BBVA Compass Plaza, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't remember Gables ever being a part of that development team. I counted 36-floors.

10759989836_6e4a3abec8_b.jpg

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 8

I dig it. Would this not be by far our biggest resi highrise in terms of units?

Awesome! If this is office, then we're looking at yet another building topping 500' in Houston!

I would add that I am cautiously optimistic because that is prolly the cheapest rendering I've seen since the Chevron tower. Looks tacky. Do big companies not believe in decent renderings any more?

Edited by wxman

That site plan is definetely at BBVA Compass Plaza. it looks great, who is the architect?

I believe HKS is the architect.

Awesome! If this is office, then we're looking at yet another building topping 500' in Houston!

I would add that I am cautiously optimistic because that is prolly the cheapest rendering I've seen since the Chevron tower. Looks tacky. Do big companies not believe in decent renderings any more?

I'm sure we'll see better renderings when the project is announced officially by the developer.

It's mixed use and those are residential balconies. Seems residential and hotel.

Edited by lockmat

Omg yes! Uptown better hurry with that brt with all this new infill. I thought it was originally 30 floors? Or was the 30 just a guesstimate?

Urbannizer, Curious as to where the rendering came from. Looks a little fishy, although it wouldn't be the first time a subpar rendering came to fruition.

Given his track record many are willing to give the benifit of the doubt

It wasn't directed at the hard work Urbannizer does. It was a simple statement that the rendering looked a little cartoonish. Further, I finished by saying that this forum has seen renderings like this come to fruition. Just curious as to where the rendering came from.

• Like 1

OK guys let's get along here, mkay?

I do agree that this tower does seem to match what's there now.

Fence is up not sure if it has anything with the construction or just for Christmas decorations

Christmas decorations.

You could confuse that rendering for 5th ave... Pretty remarkable the amount of hi rise development in uptown.

Seen that too, maybe another project :-)

It's been pretty well established that there is a second office tower proposed in that project.

• Like 1

the tower behind it has a slight vertical radius that interests me.

I saw that too. Reminds me of that curved building in London.

• Like 1

I think it was going to be a hotel. A Ritz Carlton but it was scraped.

No that doesn't look like the formerly proposed Ritz Carlton at BLVD Place. That building had beige colors on the outside, turquoise on the inside and it's entire design was straight as a line.

This building back there gets narrower as you go up. It's not a straight design and doesn't look like the Ritz either.

It's probably an office tower for something. Is BLVD Place located behind BBVA Compass? If it is, then that building COULD just be the Apache Tower OR the second office building BLVD Place has visioned for its development.

Its just a filler someone added to the pic.

Ugh I hope not. That one looks even better and taller than the Gables. Ah well, at least we're getting some height/infill with the gables.

No BLVD Place is north of BBVA Compass building.  There is a empty lot next to it where Apache will build there 34 floor building.  I have no idea what building that is in the background.     

^_^  ^_^

11130486083_84db8e32da_b.jpg

11129946774_b4700a40b9_b.jpg

There's also another project on page 69 that I think is for Houston, but I'm not fully sure.

http://www.humphreys.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MFEC_FutureDesigns_FINAL.pdf

That curve is wicked awesome. Also, the street level looks to be in cohesion with BLVD place. This project rendering gets the Montrose1100 stamp of approval. I'm guess the tower behind it is just for kicks. Where there 3 phases to the entire project? It does look like the bottom section of the tower could be hotel, until the gap halfway up.

This thing stinks. I totally hate it. Why couldn't they build some thing nicer and closer to downtown instead of this pile of boxes halfway to El Paso.

Lol, just joking. I am surprised at the lack of negativity in this thread.

Anyway, it is a very interesting building and its so uptown. It will fit in nicely. Uptown is definitely becoming a city within a city. The changes that have occurred since 2000 is astounding.

Throw in a couple more of these mixed use structures like this building and a trolley looping around uptown and thus place will be marvelous.

Cant wait to see this thing finished and look up and marvel at the uptown skyline yet again

• Like 1

That other building is probably just hotel:

PnQXHiC.png

Straight from Metro.

• Like 1

The rendering above appears to be looking west-northwest, more or less from where the Sports Authority store is on Post Oak.   Going to that location in Google Maps street view, I see The  Dominion high-rise apartments (on McCue) between the two Redstone buildings.  That's where the curved building in the rendering's background appears.  So -- this is just a guess -- perhaps the developers of this project omitted Dominion so as to avoid including a competing property in their marketing images.

Despite that, it's fun to speculate on why they would include a non-exisiting building rather than just blue sky in that direction.  There is an older 2-story apartment complex on McCue, across from Dominion, that seems to be getting ripe for demo.  There's another one farther west, on Sage, but that one seems a little too far south to appear in this POV.

I haven't seen the footprint for this new development, but perhaps it will leave enough undeveloped land between it and Dominion for a tower of some sort.  A month or so ago, I walked around the site and  recall there being a new N-S access road from Guilford Ct. to the garage for the 1st Redstone Building.   Presumably the land on the west side is not part of the 2nd Redstone tower ... but I can't remember if it's large enough for a major tower like the one in the rendering.  If so, it would block the view of the Dominion high-rise.  (Which I would appreciate, actually!)

BBVA Compass Plaza includes 3 lots - two lots with Post Oak frontage, and one lot between these two and the midrise apartments to the West. The BBVA Compass tower (south lot) was phase 1; phase 2 (north lot) was originally planned to be a hotel that would be built at the same time as the office tower- and phase 3 (west lot) was never defined, it would be whatever the market called for. Since phase 2 apparently includes hotel, and since phase 1 is still about 30% vacant, my guess is that phase 3 is still an undetermined future development. The only option I see for upcoming development is for a higher-end hotel (maybe Ritz Carlton) that would not directly compete with a lesser quality hotel in the mixed use phase 2.... Or phase 2 is only apartments, then phase 3 can be any hotel.

• Like 1

Thanks, that makes sense.  After my last post, I walked by there again and checked out the west lot.  It looks a bit smaller than the south lot, but still large enough for a major building + garage.   

• Like 1

Swstig already said that the third tower in the back is an office tower..

Oh whoops