lockmat

I don't think that low interest in this project is particularly surprising. The majority of the people on this forum have high interest in construction that occur in Downtown/Midtown and the immediate areas surrounding. TMC has been booming for years now, but that construction has never generated high post counts either.

• Like 2

I don't think that low interest in this project is particularly surprising. The majority of the people on this forum have high interest in construction that occur in Downtown/Midtown and the immediate areas surrounding. TMC has been booming for years now, but that construction has never generated high post counts either.

I think it's all about the location of the post. Personally speaking, I rarely look at the other threads on here except 'The Woodlands and North side" being that that is where I am located. Outside of that, I always look for big projects in the 'going up' section.

• Like 1

Maybe it has been quiet because everyone in the real estate industry is busy right now.....

Things are looking good for Houston right now. This project is going to happen (although it looks as if Skanska won't), and Downtown is gaining steam. I wouldn't be surprised if Skanska makes a play downtown or somewhere else in the city. That company has a lot of money and is dedicated to making a move in the Houston market. We all know Hines isn't shy about developing in Houston, and I think that second tower on Main will happen within the next 12-18 months.

Everyone needs to stop the pity party.

Maybe it has been quiet because everyone in the real estate industry is busy right now.....

Things are looking good for Houston right now. This project is going to happen (although it looks as if Skanska won't), and Downtown is gaining steam. I wouldn't be surprised if Skanska makes a play downtown or somewhere else in the city. That company has a lot of money and is dedicated to making a move in the Houston market. We all know Hines isn't shy about developing in Houston, and I think that second tower on Main will happen within the next 12-18 months.

Everyone needs to stop the pity party.

agreed, but i'm not sure it's so much a pity party for the thread as a misconception that inactivity for a thread doesn't necessarily mean the thread isn't being watched or read. .....and as i said earlier in the thread....it's great weather lately....not too many of us spending too much time in front of a pc.

Yeah, come on, this is outside the loop! It might as well be in San Antonio. I'm surprised LTAWACS only has one post complaining that it's not in midtown so far, there should be at least five of those by now. In all seriousness though, the rendering looks pretty nice and I think it will add to that part of Post Oak quite well, especially if they do end up building the other building(s?) that they talk about. With this and BLVD place hopefully getting some action soon, Uptown is going to have some really cool new buildings in the near future.

• Like 1

Is it safe to assume this building is a "phase 1", or is the rest of the project scrapped? It's a great rendering, nice to see a building with different facades on the same face. Seems to be a modern trend for midrise buildings here in Houston.

From the Business Journal story linked above:

"The 20-story building is part of a redevelopment that is expected to include a second office building, a hotel with residences and parking garages."

• Like 1

Some more information, will quote in pieces to address points separately.

Updated to 22 floors from previously stated 20 floors:

The building at 2200 Post Oak Blvd. will have 22 stories, not 20 as previously reported. Plans call for 312,000 square feet of rentable office space on 12 floors.

Read more: Redstone reveals plans for new BBVA building | Houston Business Journal

Ground Floor to feature restaurants:

The ground-floor retail space will feature two restaurants with outdoor seating, according to Kim Phillips, Redstone’s vice president of marketing and special projects.

Read more: Redstone reveals plans for new BBVA building | Houston Business Journal

Construction details:

Construction will start in May, and be finished in April 2013.

The rest:

The office building is part of a 6.5-acre project that’s called Perennial on Post Oak subdivision in documents submitted by the developer to the Houston Planning Commission. Project plans show a second office building, a hotel with residences and parking garages.

I also found out that the area around the construction site also will undergo some changes.

Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2011/04/other-changes-planned-around-new-bbva.html

• Like 2

It looks like they did do a slight change to the design. I just wish it were taller but anything is almost better than nothing...

Will someone please quote what Gary and Coaster (same person?) said please. For some reason I can't see any of their posts anymore. Thanks. :)

It looks like they did do a slight change to the design. I just wish it were taller but anything is almost better than nothing...

Will someone please quote what Gary and Coaster (same person?) said please. For some reason I can't see any of their posts anymore. Thanks. :)

If you are unable to see the posts of one or more particular users, it is likely that the user has blocked you.

As for Gary and Coaster, they are not the same person. They're not even in the same time zone.

• 1 month later...

As I went to work this morning I saw an inflatable archway over the entrance to the site. I just got home and was able to run out and snap some pictures. The archway was gone, but on the wall facing post oak was a big new banner (sorry I couldn't get a clear shot without the sign and light pole. It was all I could do to get one without cars in the way) :

255627_995197993456_37526399_44121439_6655734_n.jpg

Here are the three pictures close up:

254823_995197828786_37526399_44121435_4617606_n.jpg

254814_995197878686_37526399_44121436_930283_n.jpg

254360_995197923596_37526399_44121438_4877019_n.jpg

On the site itself were two guys with a trunk that looked like they were party rental people cleaning up after an event. Also, what appeared to be a ~15x15 foot sandbox was set up. I imagine that's what was used for the ceremonial groundbreaking earlier.

• Like 1

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7609172.html

The owner of the Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa is planning to expand its hospitality brand near the Galleria on a site that will also be home to a high-rise office building and possibly a residential tower.

the hotel project is contingent on financing but could be under way within a couple years.

It is expected to be full service and have 150 to 250 rooms and a spa

The building will also have two restaurants. Young said talks are under way with local eateries and some that don't have a presence in Houston. The hotel is expected to be built in the second phase of development, and a third will consist of another office tower or a residential building.

HKS Architects designed the office building, which will be built by Manhattan Construction. The property has been designed to achieve gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7609172.html#ixzz1PMUGwjTQ

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7609172.html

The owner of the Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa is planning to expand its hospitality brand near the Galleria on a site that will also be home to a high-rise office building and possibly a residential tower.

the hotel project is contingent on financing but could be under way within a couple years.

It is expected to be full service and have 150 to 250 rooms and a spa

The building will also have two restaurants. Young said talks are under way with local eateries and some that don't have a presence in Houston. The hotel is expected to be built in the second phase of development, and a third will consist of another office tower or a residential building.

HKS Architects designed the office building, which will be built by Manhattan Construction. The property has been designed to achieve gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7609172.html#ixzz1PMUGwjTQ

"BBVA Compass marked the official start of construction on its new corporate office building last week with an official groundbreaking ceremony. The 22-story, 312k SF LEED Gold building will centralize BBVA’s local executives, multiple business areas, and staff units under a single roof. The bank will occupy 150k SF and six floors. Redstone Companies Real Estate purchased the land in the early ‘90s and demolished the long-standing Compass Bank building in ’09. Redstone CEO Steve Lerner says it was always his vision to build a “crown jewel” in the heart of the Galleria. The tower was designed by HKS Architects and will be built by Manhattan Construction. Expect occupancy in early 2013."

http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=15708

"BBVA Compass marked the official start of construction on its new corporate office building last week with an official groundbreaking ceremony. The 22-story, 312k SF LEED Gold building will centralize BBVA’s local executives, multiple business areas, and staff units under a single roof. The bank will occupy 150k SF and six floors. Redstone Companies Real Estate purchased the land in the early ‘90s and demolished the long-standing Compass Bank building in ’09. Redstone CEO Steve Lerner says it was always his vision to build a “crown jewel” in the heart of the Galleria. The tower was designed by HKS Architects and will be built by Manhattan Construction. Expect occupancy in early 2013."

http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=15708

A Crown Jewel? Hopefully he is talking about the second or third phase, because this BBVA building

is nice, but I dont think its "Crown Jewel" material.

• Like 1