lockmat

Another architectural disappointment for Houston....and in such a high profile area nonetheless. Overall, "cutting corners" is now a part of Houston culture and it is no more evident than in architecture designs chosen for projects in the city.

• Like 2

Remember guys, this is just phase one that's been built. This is the old rendering of the completed site:

perennial-rendering.jpg
I'd recommend reserving your final opinions on this one until the rest of the site is built up. I am certain that with the rest of it filled it, that this will fit much better than it does now, and your opinions will all be more positive.

Edited by Golyadkin
  • Like 1

Remember guys, this is just phase one that's been built. This is the old rendering of the completed site:

perennial-rendering.jpg

I'd recommend reserving your final opinions on this one until the rest of the site is built up. I am certain that with the rest of it filled it, that this will fit much better than it does now, and your opinions will all be more positive.

But on the other hand, you also have to remember the many projects in Houston that initially had multiple phases which were later canceled. It's very common. Let's hope not with this project because that building really doesn't look so great all by itself.

• Like 1

If they used the materials depicted in that rendering on the actually building it would have turned out a lot better. If you look at the rendering the building that was built has a different design and the materials that where used are different. It should have been built to look like the rendering, thats just my opinion though.

Hopefully the other phases actually come to fruition and make this building more appealing, like intecity77 mentioned Houston developments have a pattern of changing and canceling initial plans.

• Like 1

I actually do not think the building looks as hideous as some are making it out to be.  It's not a world class stunner but neither is it a piece of crap.

It's a tab bit above "average" IMO. I mean, what if it was simply all precast concrete between floors with glass windows giving a plain striped effect as on the back side  - now that would be boring.

What we have is a balcony/sky garden on the 7-8 floors and multiple facades all around which makes it somewhat atypical.

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)
  • Like 2

But on the other hand, you also have to remember the many projects in Houston that initially had multiple phases which were later canceled. It's very common. Let's hope not with this project because that building really doesn't look so great all by itself.

They built this leaving a good chunk of land open specifically for future development. While it may not be like the original plan, they won't just leave clear ground on a prime spot on Post Oak unused for very long. Postponed is always a possibility, but I sincerely doubt they will cancel future plans for the site.

It's definitely underwhelming but an improvement over wha used to be there at least. Wasn't the lot a strip center before this?

This is what used to be there:

2200-post-oak.jpg

And this is what happened to it:

Edited by Golyadkin
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I went by this the other day and it looks like it is complete, and I think it looks really great. It looks much better than the photos. This was not a let down by any means

Totally agree. There seems to be a lot of negativity towards this building but I think it's nice. I think it's even interesting how parts of the building extend nearly over the sidewalk. Like the overall design as well. Perhaps the tower just isn't.... photogenic. 

• Like 2

No, the builders cut corners. The only lights are the signs that light up white at night.

I really doubt that would be the builders cutting corners. No builder would cut corners to the point that a very visible planned part of a building would simply not be delivered. I suspect those lights were never really a serious part of the plan to begin with.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know I've said this once before, but every time I drive past this building since it has neared completion I am more impressed. The color and textures I think fit in great with Post Oak. I give this project an A maybe A+. Really great addition

• Like 4

Totally agree. There seems to be a lot of negativity towards this building but I think it's nice. I think it's even interesting how parts of the building extend nearly over the sidewalk. Like the overall design as well. Perhaps the tower just isn't.... photogenic.

I agree. I went by it the other day and was quite surprised by how much better it looked in person. Hopefully, they'll build out the other two buildings per the plan. It'll be a really nice addition to the area if that happens.

• Like 1

I am liking this building more now that it is approaching completion.  It still isn't my cup of tea architecturally, but I think it will be a positive change for the Post Oak Blvd. environment.

At this point, my only complaint is that they didn't bother to cover the south side of the concrete garage.  It makes for a big ugly view from points south. 

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 1

yeah it is a cool building in my opinion and i live just behind it on mccue. since my company a block away on sage banks with compass i went it to do a deposit today and they said they are on track for a May 20th grand opening! thats just a few weeks away! (we were in the old bank building but not moving back since our rent is so much less on sage now...boo! haha)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...