lockmat

I think it was going to be a hotel. A Ritz Carlton but it was scraped.

No that doesn't look like the formerly proposed Ritz Carlton at BLVD Place. That building had beige colors on the outside, turquoise on the inside and it's entire design was straight as a line.

This building back there gets narrower as you go up. It's not a straight design and doesn't look like the Ritz either.

It's probably an office tower for something. Is BLVD Place located behind BBVA Compass? If it is, then that building COULD just be the Apache Tower OR the second office building BLVD Place has visioned for its development.

^_^  ^_^

11130486083_84db8e32da_b.jpg

11129946774_b4700a40b9_b.jpg

There's also another project on page 69 that I think is for Houston, but I'm not fully sure.

http://www.humphreys.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MFEC_FutureDesigns_FINAL.pdf

That curve is wicked awesome. Also, the street level looks to be in cohesion with BLVD place. This project rendering gets the Montrose1100 stamp of approval. I'm guess the tower behind it is just for kicks. Where there 3 phases to the entire project? It does look like the bottom section of the tower could be hotel, until the gap halfway up.

This thing stinks. I totally hate it. Why couldn't they build some thing nicer and closer to downtown instead of this pile of boxes halfway to El Paso.

Lol, just joking. I am surprised at the lack of negativity in this thread.

Anyway, it is a very interesting building and its so uptown. It will fit in nicely. Uptown is definitely becoming a city within a city. The changes that have occurred since 2000 is astounding.

Throw in a couple more of these mixed use structures like this building and a trolley looping around uptown and thus place will be marvelous.

Cant wait to see this thing finished and look up and marvel at the uptown skyline yet again

• Like 1

The rendering above appears to be looking west-northwest, more or less from where the Sports Authority store is on Post Oak.   Going to that location in Google Maps street view, I see The  Dominion high-rise apartments (on McCue) between the two Redstone buildings.  That's where the curved building in the rendering's background appears.  So -- this is just a guess -- perhaps the developers of this project omitted Dominion so as to avoid including a competing property in their marketing images.

Despite that, it's fun to speculate on why they would include a non-exisiting building rather than just blue sky in that direction.  There is an older 2-story apartment complex on McCue, across from Dominion, that seems to be getting ripe for demo.  There's another one farther west, on Sage, but that one seems a little too far south to appear in this POV.

I haven't seen the footprint for this new development, but perhaps it will leave enough undeveloped land between it and Dominion for a tower of some sort.  A month or so ago, I walked around the site and  recall there being a new N-S access road from Guilford Ct. to the garage for the 1st Redstone Building.   Presumably the land on the west side is not part of the 2nd Redstone tower ... but I can't remember if it's large enough for a major tower like the one in the rendering.  If so, it would block the view of the Dominion high-rise.  (Which I would appreciate, actually!)

BBVA Compass Plaza includes 3 lots - two lots with Post Oak frontage, and one lot between these two and the midrise apartments to the West. The BBVA Compass tower (south lot) was phase 1; phase 2 (north lot) was originally planned to be a hotel that would be built at the same time as the office tower- and phase 3 (west lot) was never defined, it would be whatever the market called for. Since phase 2 apparently includes hotel, and since phase 1 is still about 30% vacant, my guess is that phase 3 is still an undetermined future development. The only option I see for upcoming development is for a higher-end hotel (maybe Ritz Carlton) that would not directly compete with a lesser quality hotel in the mixed use phase 2.... Or phase 2 is only apartments, then phase 3 can be any hotel.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

the perennial apartment/hotel and additional office component will likely break ground mid-2014. the curved building behind the gables is indeed the 2nd office building.  It will be slightly larger and taller than the 1st and is all glass (at least the rendering i have seen). it should be well received.

• Like 6

woah. that curved building really is an office building for the third component of this project? i always figured it was just a filler or something.. that will be VERY well received! it wont be as tall as the apartment/hotel though? i just wish it was on Post Oak.
wait.. i just reread your post. the office tower will likely break ground the middle of this year too?! i would of guessed it would wait until after the 2nd phase was over, but i guess since the phases are different components they wont effect the leasing of the other. Uptown is sprouting high rises left and right.. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any update on this project?

the perennial apartment/hotel and additional office component will likely break ground mid-2014. the curved building behind the gables is indeed the 2nd office building.  It will be slightly larger and taller than the 1st and is all glass (at least the rendering i have seen). it should be well received.

This area is going to be absolutely amazing.  Aside from 609 Main and the Chevron tower (hopefully being redesigned...), this is next on my list of favorites.  The developments along Post Oak are quickly turning that street into a true signature boulevard.  Very impressive.

• Like 1