Bunker Hill Activity

banking214

I noticed last week that Bunker Hill Lanes is getting an upgrade inside and out. I have to say that it is much needed. Also, the shopping center next to Spec's seems to be slowly closing up. The only tenants remaining are Village Dry Cleaning (I believe that is the name), La Hacienda, and a few random places. I checked Metro National and noticed they have no information as to the happenings.

http://www.metronational.com/portfolio_mc46.shtml

I have heard that the center, as well as Charlie's, is to be razed. As to when and what will be replacing, know one knows.

Any information?

I noticed last week that Bunker Hill Lanes is getting an upgrade inside and out. I have to say that it is much needed. Also, the shopping center next to Spec's seems to be slowly closing up. The only tenants remaining are Village Dry Cleaning (I believe that is the name), La Hacienda, and a few random places. I checked Metro National and noticed they have no information as to the happenings.

http://www.metronational.com/portfolio_mc46.shtml

I have heard that the center, as well as Charlie's, is to be razed. As to when and what will be replacing, know one knows.

Any information?

I occaisionally have a drink at Mr. C's in that little center. The Bartenders said that its only a matter of time. They are fighting it... but it looks as though they are going to lose the bar within the next year.... making way for a new shopping center apparently.

The Quizno's next to Spec's already relocated to a strip mall across I-10 and the Shipley's next door closed down about a month ago. Like the Mr. C's folks said, it's really only a matter of time. That entire area has been pretty desolate for some time, especially since that big Joe Auto (anyone remember that mistake?) closed down. Everything else kind of started shutting down, too.

Across I-10 to the north, Bunker Hill is all torn up. I don't know if they've been given the go-ahead to continue widening it past Westview and Long Point, though.

Anyone know? If so, that means the elementary school there and the older houses right off Bunker Hill are going to get the shaft. :(

The Quizno's next to Spec's already relocated to a strip mall across I-10 and the Shipley's next door closed down about a month ago. Like the Mr. C's folks said, it's really only a matter of time. That entire area has been pretty desolate for some time, especially since that big Joe Auto (anyone remember that mistake?) closed down. Everything else kind of started shutting down, too.

Across I-10 to the north, Bunker Hill is all torn up. I don't know if they've been given the go-ahead to continue widening it past Westview and Long Point, though.

Anyone know? If so, that means the elementary school there and the older houses right off Bunker Hill are going to get the shaft. :(

I didn't notice Quizno's, but for the record I just drove by and Shipley's is still open.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Has Nordstrom's announced this store?

I think it was a joke. I did not find anything on the website under stores or future store openings.

I would think a Cheesecake Factory would be a great idea. There is plenty of disposable income in the general area, plus a busy location off of I-10 and Gessner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The new HEB is open. Went last night with the chica to check it out and it was a zoo. Hopefully the newness wears off, the freebie coupons expire, and it becomes a bit more manageble in the future. It's a big store.

Wife went yesterday and went crazy buying stuff. She was supposed to get a couple of steaks but came back with everything under the sun (including 5 Lobsters). She was amazed at the quality and prices of the food. She called her relatives and immediately headed for HEB.

Wife went yesterday and went crazy buying stuff. She was supposed to get a couple of steaks but came back with everything under the sun (including 5 Lobsters). She was amazed at the quality and prices of the food. She called her relatives and immediately headed for HEB.

My friends from the Heights who used to shop at Central Market believe this to be a better store. I agree, i find this to be the best grocery store I've been too in this city.

The new HEB at Bunker Hill is great. I waited a few days for the crowds to die to no avail. I was surprised at how easy it was to park, get in, shop and check out. It looks very intimidating, but don't let that stop you. This is a great store that has a little bit (a lot) of everything.

The new HEB at Bunker Hill is great. I waited a few days for the crowds to die to no avail. I was surprised at how easy it was to park, get in, shop and check out. It looks very intimidating, but don't let that stop you. This is a great store that has a little bit (a lot) of everything.

As much as I don't like HEB ( It gives me the whole suburb flashback), I do love Central Market. If it's similar enough, I might give it a whirl. Does it have the same produce, bakery and meat aisle set up?

As much as I don't like HEB ( It gives me the whole suburb flashback), I do love Central Market. If it's similar enough, I might give it a whirl. Does it have the same produce, bakery and meat aisle set up?

Actually, it was my first time in an HEB store that was not a Central Market. It is a nice store with a huge produce section.

Read a newspaper article recently about HEB, and their approach to their new stores. Said they cater to each neighborhood & what each particular 'hood wants a supermarket to provide. The new ones are impressive, especially the produce & meat/seafood selections, with so much variety.

If you do end up going there, go during the "off hours". If you go there on a weekend afternoon, it's crazy. The whole west side of the store is produce and ready-to-eat food: Fresh breads, deli, sushi, fish market, etc. They also have the cafe-on-the-go (like Central Market) although not as big as CM's selection. But it is in the suburbs so don't expect any kind of "urban" experience.

If you do end up going there, go during the "off hours". If you go there on a weekend afternoon, it's crazy. The whole west side of the store is produce and ready-to-eat food: Fresh breads, deli, sushi, fish market, etc. They also have the cafe-on-the-go (like Central Market) although not as big as CM's selection. But it is in the suburbs so don't expect any kind of "urban" experience.

Ok, I just got back and the store is huge, like in a too big way. The fish and meat sections are fantastic. But, I think I found where 80% of the 80 year old coupon clipper set shop. Kinda slowed things way down.

Did you know they have Cheese Police? My son was with me and they refused to give him a sample, even though he had asked ME if he could get one. I had to get it for him. Something about cheese allergies and liability. Dear Lord, how did any of us ever make it to adulthood? Our lives must have been in peril 20 times a day.

PS- apparently the Peanut Butter cookies don't need gaurding. whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey kids I have been away since 1980 would y'all tell me whats over at Katy and Silber maybe ,huh huh huh ??????????? Ed Shaver, scrubba

The Marq E Entertainment Center is at I-10 and Silber. It has a Movie Theater and several restaurants such as Cafe Adobe and Dave and Buster's I think. Also a Comedy Club and Night Club. They tried to make the center retail as well but most of that failed. Can't think of any stores that are left. They are planning to remodel the place and are building some new strip center on the edge of it which has a Panda Express.

The Marq E Entertainment Center is at I-10 and Silber. It has a Movie Theater and several restaurants such as Cafe Adobe and Dave and Buster's I think. Also a Comedy Club and Night Club. They tried to make the center retail as well but most of that failed. Can't think of any stores that are left. They are planning to remodel the place and are building some new strip center on the edge of it which has a Panda Express.

The thugs made that area really uncomfortable after a while. And then when they opened up the theater at Memorial City, all theater goers went over there. At least the ones who didn't want to get mugged or have their cars keyed.

Archived