2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Trae

Next United States President  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
    • Other

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know one thing, (well, maybe 2), John McCain gives Seniors a bad name. He is so confused. He thinks Pakistan and Iraq share a border, he doesn't know what has happened to the geography in Europe since Marshall Tito and he gets so angry that he starts banging his arm and yelling. Gosh, he is too OLD and too CONFUSED to be elected to ANY PUBLIC office. So this is very subjective statement, but you get my drift. :rolleyes:

I know one thing, (well, maybe 2), John McCain gives Seniors a bad name. He is so confused. He thinks Iran and Iraq share a border, he doesn't know what has happened to the geography in Europe since Marshall Tito and he gets so angry that he starts banging his arm and yelling. Gosh, he is too OLD and too CONFUSED to be elected to ANY PUBLIC office. So this is very subjective statement, but you get my drift. :rolleyes:

Wasn't all this said about Reagan? Not sure if McCain's wife has enough between the ears to run the country, like Nancy did.

Trouble for the Dems:

Obama: 292

McCain: 219

Ties: 27

Jul23.png

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

McCain is inching closer and closer. I'm not worried, just saying. Obama will hopefully go above 300 votes this week. Being below 300 is just not right.

It'll be interesting how the VP choices affect this map. I'm pulling for Obama to pick Jim Webb for his VP and maybe pickup some of the southern states.

Weak Republican.

Ironically, this is how most Republicans describe their presumptive nominee for president.

Honestly, if anyone saw the two photographs of Obama and McCain yesterday, one of Obama solemnly standing at the Holocaust Memorial, the other of John McCain looking perplexed in the supermarket cheese aisle, and you STILL support McCain for president, there REALLY is no hope for you.

Olberman was really good last night on the 'unfair media giving Obama all the press' whining. If McCain were to actually do something newsworthy, like meet with 5 Israeli and Palestinian leaders in a single day, rather than address a half-empty gym in West Virgina, or wherever he was, then perhaps he would get more coverage.

Olberman was really good last night on the 'unfair media giving Obama all the press' whining. If McCain were to actually do something newsworthy, like meet with 5 Israeli and Palestinian leaders in a single day, rather than address a half-empty gym in West Virgina, or wherever he was, then perhaps he would get more coverage.

No disrespect, but honestly I don't think he (McCain) has much energy to do much else.

I don't understand McCain's complaint. Every time he gets in front of a camera, he talks about a country that hasn't existed for 16 years, or the border between Iraq and Pakistan, or the Iranians training al Qaeda, or the surge that had not started until 9 months after he says it did. Seems to me he ought to be HIDING from the media, not complaining about their lack of coverage of him.

I was watching that too...while waiting for over an hour to get my broken cell phone replaced by another broken cell phone at AT&T. But I thought that it was among the most inane drivel ever broadcast on a news channel. The guests were bad, almost as bad as when they use Bay Buchanan over on Fox News.

There was effectively no recognition that Obama's junket was merely a political maneuver, the result of the McCain campaign's criticism. It was not done for genuine concern, or to learn anything; it was done to silence inane critics. It was a fake...and a resoundingly successful fake, apparently. He's apparently got somebody stateside thinking that meeting with five foreign leaders in a single day is somehow productive or otherwise impressive.

It'll be interesting how the VP choices affect this map. I'm pulling for Obama to pick Jim Webb for his VP and maybe pickup some of the southern states.

Has said not only no, but hell no...

I am thinking Wesley Clark... He's got all the right connections...

Honestly, if anyone saw the two photographs of Obama and McCain yesterday, one of Obama solemnly standing at the Holocaust Memorial, the other of John McCain looking perplexed in the supermarket cheese aisle, and you STILL support McCain for president, there REALLY is no hope for you.

Hey now, stick me in an isle full of cheese (and it does happen from time to time in the course of my life) and see if I don't look perplexed, too! I don't think I could bring myself to vote for somebody intimately familiar with and comfortable in a whole isle of cheese. That'd be creepy.

In contrast, I don't visit memorials or monuments. I know history well enough to negate the propaganda value or the sense of pride that I'm supposed to feel.

There was effectively no recognition that Obama's junket was merely a political maneuver, the result of the McCain campaign's criticism. It was not done for genuine concern, or to learn anything; it was done to silence inane critics. It was a fake...and a resoundingly successful fake, apparently. He's apparently got somebody stateside thinking that meeting with five foreign leaders in a single day is somehow productive or otherwise impressive.

Oldberman was a little too giddy about Obama and McCain's whining. However, on some other networks they specifically discussed the political nature of the trip. They said Obama freely admitted that ANYTHING done during a presidential campaign is unavoidably political. But, they also noted that Obama took the ball and ran with it (and also nailed two straight 3 pointers), and further noted that it was McCain who dared Obama to go, figuring it was a trap that would swallow Obama whole. The whining you hear today is the sound of desparation from the McCain camp, knowing that it was THEIR statements that got Obama the Rock Star over there in the first place.

Hey now, stick me in an isle full of cheese (and it does happen from time to time in the course of my life) and see if I don't look perplexed, too! I don't think I could bring myself to vote for somebody intimately familiar with and comfortable in a whole isle of cheese. That'd be creepy.

Whoa, it was just one aisle, not a whole frickin' island. That WOULD be creepy! Or creepier.

Oldberman was a little too giddy about Obama and McCain's whining. However, on some other networks they specifically discussed the political nature of the trip. They said Obama freely admitted that ANYTHING done during a presidential campaign is unavoidably political. But, they also noted that Obama took the ball and ran with it (and also nailed two straight 3 pointers), and further noted that it was McCain who dared Obama to go, figuring it was a trap that would swallow Obama whole. The whining you hear today is the sound of desparation from the McCain camp, knowing that it was THEIR statements that got Obama the Rock Star over there in the first place.

Beautiful huh? Here is a new article from Time:

McCain's Foreign Policy Frustration

Wednesday, Jul. 23, 2008

By JOE KLEIN

Time

"I had the courage and the judgment to say that I would rather lose a political campaign than lose a war," John McCain said during a Rochester, N.H., town meeting on July 22. "It seems to me that Senator Obama would rather lose a war in order to win a political campaign." It was a remarkable statement, as intemperate a personal attack as I've ever heard a major-party candidate make in a presidential campaign, the sort of thing that no potential President of the United States should ever be caught saying. (A prudent candidate has aides sling that sort of mud.) It was also inevitable.

McCain has defied the President more than any other Republican, yet he can't escape Bush's shadow. A close look at the political relationship that could cost McCain the election

You could see McCain's frustration building as Barack Obama traipsed elegantly through the Middle East while the pillars of McCain's bellicose regional policy crumbled in his wake. It wasn't only that the Iraqi government seemed to take Obama's side in the debate over when U.S. forces should leave (sooner rather than later). McCain was being undermined in Washington as well, by his old pal George W. Bush, who seemed to take Obama's side in the debate about whether to talk to Iran. Bush sent a ranking U.S. diplomat to negotiate with the Iranians on nuclear issues — and also let it be known that a U.S. Interests Section could soon be established in Tehran, the first U.S. diplomatic presence on Iranian soil since the 1979 hostage crisis.

In the end, both Obama and McCain seemed to have a piece of the truth about Iraq, but Obama's truth was larger and more strategic. Obama had been right about the war in the first place. It was a disastrous idea, a phenomenal waste of lives and American credibility that diverted focus from our real enemy, al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan. And Obama was right about the war now: the progress in Iraq was enabling a quicker withdrawal — a plan already hinted at by Bush. And Obama was right about the future: the Iraqis don't want long-term U.S. bases on their territory, a McCain keystone and the source of his infamous comment about staying in Iraq for 100 years. McCain's piece of the truth was tactical: he was right about the surge and right about the brilliance of David Petraeus' battle plan, which had helped quiet down Iraq. McCain was justifiably infuriated that Obama wouldn't acknowledge that success — indeed, Obama seemed to understand that he was pushing McCain's buttons, hoping perhaps to elicit McCain's Vesuvian temper, and in Rochester the eruption occurred.

McCain's greatest claim to the presidency — his overseas expertise — now seems squandered. He has appeared brittle and inflexible, slow to adapt to changes on the ground, slow to grasp the full implications not only of the improving situation in Iraq but also of the worsening situation in Afghanistan and especially Pakistan. Some will say this behavior raises questions about his age. I'll leave those to gerontologists. A more obvious explanation is that McCain has straitjacketed himself in an ideology focused more on enemies (real and imagined) than on opportunities. "It is impossible to ignore the many striking parallels between [McCain] and the so-called neoconservatives (many of whom are vocal and visible supporters of his candidacy)," writes the Democratic diplomat Richard Holbrooke in a forthcoming issue of Foreign Affairs. "I don't know if John has become a neocon," says a longtime friend of the Senator's, "but he sure has surrounded himself with them."

Neoconservatism in foreign policy is best described as unilateral bellicosity cloaked in the utopian rhetoric of freedom and democracy. McCain hasn't always sided with the neocons — he opposed torture, wants to close down Guant

The funny thing is, Republicans still think Calvin and Hobbs are "nifty." Tells me all I need to know.

It also tells me that the Sugar Land police don't know how to read the penal code. Saying "I'll have someone take care of you later", is not a threat of violence. Assuming that it may be bad doesn't count. "I'm going to kill you." Now, that would be a Terroristic Threat. "I'll take care of you later" is what I tell my mom.

<_<

Archived