2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Trae

Next United States President  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
    • Other

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obama 317

McCain 194

Ties 27

Jun28.png

Texas is surprising me (well, not really since if the minorities come out and vote, Texas will go Obama).

Do you really think so? Hasn't it been 40 years since Texas went for a Democratic candidate?

Yeah I think so, and it has been somewhere around 40 years. A lot of people from the West Coast (mainly California) and New York that move to Texas (especially the suburbs) are making it more and more liberal.

Our economy is in the crapper. Prices are rising faster than wages. The two wars that we can't pay for aren't going too terribly well. Our new foreign policy is to eat alone in the classroom since everyone hates us. The national health plan is = "Don't Get Sick." Poverty levels are rising. Graduation rates are declining. Tuition for college is skyrocketing yet we are making student loans harder to get and impossible to pay off. There's a general war on science and it's causing us to fall further and further behind the rest of the world.

And yet, the best the conservatives on this thread can come up with are 1) Obama sounds like a Muslim name and 2) His wife is a witch.

Unfortunately, the dumbing down of our country likely means that this re-election strategy might just work again!

And yet, the best the conservatives on this thread can come up with are 1) Obama sounds like a Muslim name and 2) His wife is a witch.

Don't forget drilling. We're not drilling for oil! Damn liberals, we could be paying $2 for gas if only we could drill in ________________ .

Unfortunately, the dumbing down of our country likely means that this re-election strategy might just work again!

Well, at least you know what they consider important...biblical names and Stepford first ladies.

Our economy is in the crapper. Prices are rising faster than wages. The two wars that we can't pay for aren't going too terribly well. Our new foreign policy is to eat alone in the classroom since everyone hates us. The national health plan is = "Don't Get Sick." Poverty levels are rising. Graduation rates are declining. Tuition for college is skyrocketing yet we are making student loans harder to get and impossible to pay off. There's a general war on science and it's causing us to fall further and further behind the rest of the world.

You're exaggerating the circumstances somewhat, but I do agree with you that conservatives haven't seemed to come up with many good reasons to dislike Obama, albeit not for lack of them.

Personally, I have plenty of good reasons to dislike both candidates, and my prognosis for the future of the country is not the least bit good unless either of these guys turn out to be more prudent and ballsey than they're looking right now.

Interesting realization I came to this morning:

We had a thread on HAIF a while ago about why Governors seemed more apt to be elected President than Senators. Seeing as how McCain and Obama, are the nominees, we are guaranteed that a sitting Senator will be elected President.

That hasn't happened since John F Kennedy in 1960. And before that, the last one was Warren G Harding (1920).

Before that? Never.

Others had been Senators before, but only two (now three) have been sitting Senators.

Interesting realization I came to this morning:

We had a thread on HAIF a while ago about why Governors seemed more apt to be elected President than Senators. Seeing as how McCain and Obama, are the nominees, we are guaranteed that a sitting Senator will be elected President.

That hasn't happened since John F Kennedy in 1960. And before that, the last one was Warren G Harding (1920).

Before that? Never.

Others had been Senators before, but only two (now three) have been sitting Senators.

My theory on why Senators never get elected is that they have a track record. They have a voting record. And it can always come back to haunt them, when running for office. And if they are in office long enough, they'll end up voting one way on an issue, and then a few years later, voting the other way. They're then tagged as flip-floppers.

Of all three candidates, Clinton, Obama, and McCain... who has the least experience in the Senate? That is, who is closest nominee we could tag as a "non-senator" senator? ... Obama.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again... 2008 starting to look a lot like 2004, 2000...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/145737

Glow Fading?

The latest NEWSWEEK Poll shows Barack Obama leading John McCain by only 3 points. What a difference a few weeks can make.

A month after emerging victorious from the bruising Democratic nominating contest, some of Barack Obama's glow may be fading. In the latest NEWSWEEK Poll, the Illinois senator leads Republican nominee John McCain by just 3 percentage points, 44 percent to 41 percent. The statistical dead heat is a marked change from last month's NEWSWEEK Poll, where Obama led McCain by 15 points, 51 percent to 36 percent.

Also at this point, Jimmy Carter was leading Regan... Dukais was ahead of Bush I - so I hear on the radio...

When Obama decided to vote for the FISA bill and stated he would expand faith based programs, I had to wonder why I should even support him. What does "Change" mean, when you vote just like the Republicans? Democrats have been doing that for 7 years. I thought THIS guy would be different. But, now it is starting to look like the same ol' same ol'.

When Obama decided to vote for the FISA bill and stated he would expand faith based programs, I had to wonder why I should even support him. What does "Change" mean, when you vote just like the Republicans? Democrats have been doing that for 7 years. I thought THIS guy would be different. But, now it is starting to look like the same ol' same ol'.

You are just NOW asking what "CHANGE" means ? Our side has been asking that for months now with NO straight answer. Obama is no Republican, I can assure you, but he certainly isn't good for our country either Red. He does not have NEAR enough experience to be the Capt. of this ship we call America. Like I said, if he gets in, it will be a regular Hudsucker Proxy.

You are just NOW asking what "CHANGE" means ? Our side has been asking that for months now with NO straight answer. Obama is no Republican, I can assure you, but he certainly isn't good for our country either Red. He does not have NEAR enough experience to be the Capt. of this ship we call America. Like I said, if he gets in, it will be a regular Hudsucker Proxy.

Actually, a few months ago, he was change. Now, he's turning into a suckup, just like that bozo McCain. At this point, I'd just as soon see John 'The Economist' McCain win, so he can finish ruining the economy that Bush started. At least the CNBC hotties are sexier when they breathlessly exclaim, "the market's going down!"

Besides, I want to hear "the nation of whiners" ask why our gas prices haven't gone down after McCain opens everything for drilling. It'll be great fun. The country's gonna suck for several more years no matter who is in charge. It might as well be McCain. That'll be the end of the GOP for the next 40 years.

I totally agree. Just more of the same garbage, different decade.

Almost. I still view Obama as different and more able to change America for the better. I'm still voting for him in November.

election2008_HP_1.gif

When Newsweek's 15 point poll came out, Gallup had Obama up by three. Now Gallup has Obama up by six.

Obama still leads in every single poll:

Newsweek 07/09 - 07/10 1037 RV 44 41 Obama +3.0

Gallup Tracking 07/08 - 07/10 2661 RV 48 42 Obama +6.0

Rasmussen Tracking 07/08 - 07/10 3000 LV 47 45 Obama +2.0

CNN 06/26 - 06/29 906 RV 50 45 Obama +5.0

McLaughlin ® 06/26 - 06/29 1000 LV 46 38 Obama +8.0

Pew Research 06/18 - 06/29 1574 RV 48 40 Obama +8.0

Democracy Corps (D) 06/22 - 06/25 2000 LV 49 45 Obama +4.0

Time 06/19 - 06/25 805 RV 47 43 Obama +4.0

LA Times/Bloomberg 06/19 - 06/23 1115 RV 49 37 Obama +12.0

Franklin & Marshall 06/16 - 06/22 1501 RV 42 36 Obama +6.0

Newsweek 06/18 - 06/19 896 RV 51 36 Obama +15.0

FOX News 06/17 - 06/18 900 RV 45 41 Obama +4.0

USA Today/Gallup 06/15 - 06/19 1310 LV 50 44 Obama +6.0

ABC News/Wash Post 06/12 - 06/15 -- 49 45 Obama +4.0

Cook/RT Strategies 06/12 - 06/15 880 RV 44 40 Obama +4.0

Reuters/Zogby 06/12 - 06/14 1113 LV 47 42 Obama +5.0

Ipsos 06/05 - 06/11 -- 50 43 Obama +7.0

NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 06/06 - 06/09 1000 RV 47 41 Obama +6.0

Hotline/FD 06/05 - 06/08 806 RV 44 42 Obama +2.0

IBD/TIPP 06/02 - 06/08 916 RV 43 40 Obama +3.0

CNN 06/04 - 06/05 921 RV 49 46 Obama +3.0

CBS News 05/30 - 06/03 930 RV 48 42 Obama +6.0

USA Today/Gallup 05/30 - 06/01 803 RV 47 44 Obama +3.0

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/20..._obama-225.html

Actually, a few months ago, he was change. Now, he's turning into a suckup, just like that bozo McCain. At this point, I'd just as soon see John 'The Economist' McCain win, so he can finish ruining the economy that Bush started. At least the CNBC hotties are sexier when they breathlessly exclaim, "the market's going down!"

Besides, I want to hear "the nation of whiners" ask why our gas prices haven't gone down after McCain opens everything for drilling. It'll be great fun. The country's gonna suck for several more years no matter who is in charge. It might as well be McCain. That'll be the end of the GOP for the next 40 years.

Sure, why not ? Your candidate is now gonna crawfish on his Iraq policy, that is gonna piss you people off, he is in WAY over his head and has no plan for the economy, that is gonna piss you people off. What is Obama gonna be able to do to reduce gas prices Red ? Nothing, becuase he isn't going to authorize drilling to pacify the treehuggers, and high gas prices, are gonna piss you people off. Obama wants to "quote" Phil, let him "quote" Phil, you and I both know Phil was talking about the Senate Dems., not the American People. Obama tells you guys that we are in a recession because THAT is what you want to hear, but Nancy Pelosi even agrees that there is no recesssion, she has said "we are heading towards one", but she has yet to say we are in one. So, I agree with you, talk to your fellow Donkeys and get them to vote for McCain. B)

BTW, I think higher gas prices suck, especially in my line of work, it is not good for business, but our country doesn't suck AT ALL. America is still THE best place to be in the world.

Actually, his plans for the economy are one of the few things I still like about him, along with healthcare, but since he is crawfishing on civil liberties and church and state, I don't hold much hope that he'll have the guts to make the hard choices on the economy, energy policy and other issues.

But, that doesn't mean I'll vote for that jellyfish McCain. He is worse. He's promising a balanced budget AND lower taxes? He'll make Bush's $500 Billion deficits look like fiscal restrain! And, he'll attack every country that moves! I think we've figured out those needless invasions ain't free. No, if Obama doesn't grow some balls, I'll just sit it out.

BTW, I don't think the liberals are the ones griping about high gas prices. They drive Subarus and take mass transit, remember?

Almost. I still view Obama as different and more able to change America for the better. I'm still voting for him in November.

election2008_HP_1.gif

When Newsweek's 15 point poll came out, Gallup had Obama up by three. Now Gallup has Obama up by six.

Obama still leads in every single poll:

Newsweek 07/09 - 07/10 1037 RV 44 41 Obama +3.0

Gallup Tracking 07/08 - 07/10 2661 RV 48 42 Obama +6.0

Rasmussen Tracking 07/08 - 07/10 3000 LV 47 45 Obama +2.0

CNN 06/26 - 06/29 906 RV 50 45 Obama +5.0

McLaughlin

BTW, I don't think the liberals are the ones griping about high gas prices. They drive Subarus and take mass transit, remember?

Oh please, high gas prices is ya'lls whole basis for your argument that we are in a recession ! You didn't hear Obama yesterday ?

Oh Yeah! I get the BEAST back on Monday or Tuesday, damn the gas prices. :D

Oh please, high gas prices is ya'lls whole basis for your argument that we are in a recession ! You didn't hear Obama yesterday ?

Oh Yeah! I get the BEAST back on Monday or Tuesday, damn the gas prices. :D

Umm...who is calling for the gas tax holiday?

High gas prices don't even figure into the equation on the recession. I know what "officially" is a recession, and I know what is functionally a recession, and gas prices do not figure into either one, though gas prices can cause a real dent in disposable income. But, really, are you actually trying to argue the economy in support of a guy who ADMITS he's an idiot on the economy? Have you READ what McCain has said about his own lack of knowledge on the economy? If this election turns on the economy, Obama gets elected in spite of me being pissed at him. Not even close.

Umm...who is calling for the gas tax holiday?

High gas prices don't even figure into the equation on the recession. I know what "officially" is a recession, and I know what is functionally a recession, and gas prices do not figure into either one, though gas prices can cause a real dent in disposable income. But, really, are you actually trying to argue the economy in support of a guy who ADMITS he's an idiot on the economy? Have you READ what McCain has said about his own lack of knowledge on the economy? If this election turns on the economy, Obama gets elected in spite of me being pissed at him. Not even close.

Hello, I thought you at least read SOME of my posts. You might recall that I don't support McCain at all. I also am not really crying over gas prices, you and I just disagree on how to lower them. Just to show you how much i am NOT scared of the price of gas, I just purchased a Sequoia last week. No real recession in my life, perhaps I am just one of the lucky ones, and aren't you driving back and forth from Montgomery Co. and were talking about moving because of gas ? Don't try to argue that the price of gas doesn't effect our economy though. The price of gas governs the price of everything else in this country, as it rises, so do costs or all goods and services. The gas holiday is a way to give us ALL some relief, not just Republicans. If someone is working a $6 an hr. job at McDonald's but half his/her check is going towards gas, then what little they have left doesn't pay for a whole lot, these are also the people that typically vote Dem. but Obama doesn't have any plan on how to help them except tax the crap out of the people who supply them their jobs that they will eventually lose because the owner of the McDonald's can't afford ALL their employees, someone is gonna get cut.

But, really, are you actually trying to argue the economy in support of a guy who ADMITS he's an idiot on the economy? Have you READ what McCain has said about his own lack of knowledge on the economy? If this election turns on the economy, Obama gets elected in spite of me being pissed at him. Not even close.

I would readily concur that neither of them are particularly strong in terms of economic policy. And I really dislike the economic implications of each person's policy proposals. But looking at that issue by itself, the guy that seems to know and acknowledge that he doesn't know is a lot better than the guy that confidently muddles his way through. So yeah, I'd give it to McCain, if only on the basis of character.

But did anybody catch Obama's APAC speech? He was really hawkish. I was hoping that a popular Democrat candidate might try to move away from adamant military support of Isreal since I know that Republicans will never do it, but it gave me the sense that Obama was setting himself up as pushing the worst policy from both parties...not that McCain is a great deal different, what with his take on GW.

I would readily concur that neither of them are particularly strong in terms of economic policy. And I really dislike the economic implications of each person's policy proposals. But looking at that issue by itself, the guy that seems to know and acknowledge that he doesn't know is a lot better than the guy that confidently muddles his way through. So yeah, I'd give it to McCain, if only on the basis of character.

I have to agree with this. The sign of a leader is to acknowledge what he doesn't know and be able to surround himself with people that know the stuff better than he does and delegate.

I'm not fond of either candidate, but I'm voting McCain because I don't trust Obama's foreign policy.

My only delicate flower is that they BOTH still haven't announced who the VP's are.

One huge problem I have with McCain is that he doesn't appear to "support the troops". He opposed the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill, as did Commander Cuckoo Bananas.

And here you can see how he reacts when a fellow Vietnam veteran questions him on his record of voting against expansions in veterans' health care funding in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. His response is just classic.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25613396#25613396

Edit: Give the video time to load (might take 20 seconds or so).

Liberal or conservative, I think we can all agree that we really need to take excellent care of our soldiers. The GI Bill for WWII veterans was a landmark piece of legislation that not only was the right thing to do morally, but also helped spur the postwar economic boom. And John McCain opposed the newest version, which was cosponsored by Republican Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and Democrat Jim Webb of Virginia (Webb introduced the legislation in the first place). Both Webb and Hagel are Vietnam veterans. The bill passed in the Senate with a veto-proof majority of 75 votes.

Of course, John McCain shouldn't be blamed for voting against the bill he had opposed, since he wasn't even present to cast a vote. He was campaigning and fundraising in California that day.

Liberal or conservative, I think we can all agree that we really need to take excellent care of our soldiers. The GI Bill for WWII veterans was a landmark piece of legislation that not only was the right thing to do morally, but also helped spur the postwar economic boom.

No, I do not agree. The extent to which vets ought to receive benefits should be a function of what it takes to fill recruitment quotas. And comparing economic conditions of any war after World War Two to World War Two is profoundly short-sighted.

Archived